[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why didn't the Battle of Odessa end the myth that conventional

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1031.jpg (17KB, 383x132px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1031.jpg
17KB, 383x132px
why didn't the Battle of Odessa end the myth that conventional forces can't overcome MS in ground combat?
>>
>>15819291
Because it got no screen time of that happening.
Also retcon gms
>>
>>15819291
Because as a general statement devoid of proper context, it doesn't die.
>>
>>15819292
But they basically did nothing anyway, wouldn't you say? At least from what I saw in Igloo they did very little, Guntank variants aside.
>>
>>15819291
>why didn't all of WWII end the myth that the sherman was a fiery deathtrap with a crap gun?
>>
File: IMG_0997.jpg (414KB, 1280x912px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0997.jpg
414KB, 1280x912px
>>15819295
from the wiki, however reliable that may be, states there were only around 40 GMs at the battle. While Hundreds of Zakus weren't able to turn the tide against the Conventional Fed Forces.
>>
>>15819307
That's what I was kinda trying to get at; there may have been Federation MS at the battle thanks to retcons, but regardless the bulk of Zeon forces would've been destroyed or crippled by conventional forces, and what we -have- seen of the Federation MS retconned into Odessa makes them IMO less significant.
>>
The scale of the battle is what allowed the Federation's conventional forces to push back Zeon. If for example it takes 3 M61 tanks to challenge a Zaku, you can bet that the Federation probably deployed more than 3 tanks for each Zaku that Zeon had, as well as fighters, bombers, helicopters, support craft, and whatever other things constitute their mechanized forces.

The point here is that if it takes such a significant quantity of ground forces to take on mobile suits, then it doesn't exactly say good things about their effectiveness. It's not that tanks and planes can't defeat MS, they're just not well-suited to it, so the main thing about Operation Odessa is that the Federation managed to make it work out favorably anyway due to the sheer numbers of units deployed in that operation. It doesn't really mean that conventional forces are effective MS killers, just that they're still usable.
>>
>>15819296
But it wasn't a fiery deathtrap thanks to a good escape hatch.
>>
>>15819344
They eventually handed sunglasses to the crew, so that they could walk away from their exploding tank unharmed every time.
>>
>>15819344
wet ammo storage drastically reduced the percentage of shermans that burned
>>
>>15819384
it's not like fire was your biggest problem in a tank anyway. By the time your tank was on fire, you usually had worse trouble anyway.

like a 75mm shell penetrating your turret and turning half the crew to minced meat
>>
>>15819335
You also had the fact that White base and other units were running around drawing zeons attention and units all over the place probobly drawing away if not outright destroying forces that could of help turned the tide or open up new battle lines.

Prior to the battle if I recall white base was running all over the place destroying smaller zeon encampments and killed a solid amount of forces including some Gouf units and Dopps that would of been greatly appreciated on the front.

Concerning the dopps its also wise to remember that the Feds had better all around conventional arms from tanks to aircraft when compared to zeon
>>
correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't basically the federation breaking through with sheer weight of numbers, taking terrible losses in the process?
>>
>>15819396
Fire, however, was a death sentence. HEAT impacts wouldn't kill the entire crew and APCR rounds wouldn't explode inside the hull. They could set fires, though, and for the early M4 the likelihood of fire was much higher.
>>
>>15819296
Because that's the T-34 in actuality
>>
Sheer overwhelming firepower, plus the fact that mobile suits on earth are more restricted by gravity, which makes them less agile and large targets barring suits designed for high mobility on earth like the Dom and its variants.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.