/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Robotech worth watching? My region's Netflix has all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Is Robotech worth watching?

My region's Netflix has all the episodes, so I was thinking about watching it.

I'm not interested enough to go after the original japanese series, but I might give this a chance if it's fun since I can just watch it on Netflix while doing something else.
>>
All the reasons you aren't interested enough to go after Macross and Southern Cross?

Those are the reasons you won't be interested enough to finish Robotech.

It's a fucking dub, my dude, not a different series.
>>
>>15812493

The show itself is generally fine. The narrator is a but much but as far as anime adaptations from the 80s go it's actually pretty mature. I was a fan of it growing up and I think it's worth watching as a historical curiosity if nothing else.

IN B4 REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HG
>>
>>15812505

I know what it is, and I'm asking if it's worth watching for what it is.

I don't have any specific reasons for not going after the original series, I just don't feel like having to download and watch them on my computer, I've mostly been watching stuff from Netflix on the living room lately, and noticed Robotech was available.
>>
>>15812510
>and noticed Robotech was available.

Then just fucking watch it and form you're own goddamn opinion, asshole. In the time we had this thread you could have watched a few episodes.

I swear when the hell did everyone suddenly start thinking their time was so valuable they can't spare it on a cartoon they might be interested.
>>
>>15812493
No, it's been horribly bastardised from the original material. Script and story changes are terrible, voice acting is awful.

Just nut up and watch the original Macross, or get hold of the Do You Remember Love blu-ray however you prefer.
>>
If you are interested in Macross, just watch Macross. There's no point in watch Robotech nowadays except if you are curios on how it changes the original shows.
>>
>>15812493
>Is Robotech worth watching?

Simple answer : No.

Macross is superior to Robotech
Southern Cross is superior to Robotech
even Mospeada is superior to Robotech.

There is no point in watching Robotech unless you have absolutely no way of watching those 3 original shows in japanese+subs.
>>
>>15812510
>I don't have any specific reasons for not going after the original series, I just don't feel like having to download and watch them on my computer, I've mostly been watching stuff from Netflix on the living room lately, and noticed Robotech was available.

Just realise that Robotech changes a lot of things. Not just in SDF Macross but especially in Southern Cross and Mospeada (charaters and character dynamics). Southern Cross especially was given the short end of the stick in Robotech. Everyone says the show is shit, but it's shittiness comes from the Robotech version because the original while not great in any sense makes a lot more sense (storywise and dialogue-wise) than the bastardised American version. And the characters aren't as fucking genocidal or dislikable in the Japanese version as they are in the American version.
Mospeada also is more enjoyable in its Japanese version.
>>
>>15813000
Southern Cross changed a lot, that's true.
Macross and Mospeada are just g-rated dubs. Aside from name-swapping the only things that got changed were Minmay's suicide pact with Hikaru, Roy's alcoholism, Claudia offering to let Misa borrow Roy, Yotchan needing to pee, Yellow's striptease, and Annie's panties being called "bikini bottoms".
>but PROTOCULTURE
They aren't cut from the story, just name-swapped to "The Masters". Ignore the narrator and it's a pretty faithful dub. Literally every line of MOSPEADA is intact except for the hallucinogenic cactus juice. I own both versions and have watched them simultaneously, side-by-side, to see exactly how much changed and it's barely worth mentioning. There are a few one-liners added in to MOSPEADA's script, and references to Mars Fleet and Jupiter Fleet got changed to "Admiral Hunter's Fleet" and that's pretty much it.

>>15812493
It's an okay dub. There are some story issues because Maceck had to patch two other shows on the end of Macross to make it long enough to get it on telivision. You couldn't syndicate a 36 episode show in 1985, it was just too short to sell. Also american television, children's programming in particular, is afraid of silent moments because kids have zero attention span, so they added a narrator. To keep from misunderstanding the original story, just keep in mind that pretty much everything the narrator says after the opening sequence is Robotech-only. Lines of dialogue spoken by characters other than the narrator are pretty faithful regardless of what the haters try and tell you.

Southern Cross, on the other hand, the middle chapter of Robotech, got some fairly major setting changes. It's a post-war earth instead of a human colony on an alien world, aliens are attacking earth instead of just coming back to their own homeworld, and the true identity of a major supporting character is completely changed. But that's about it, really.
>>
>>15813000
>>15813074

Alright, thanks a lot for the info.

>>15812600

My time is pretty valuable, though. I mostly watch stuff on my free time while studying or eating, I don't want to watch something just to have to drop it halfway through because it gets suddenly super shitty.
>>
>>15812493
>just watch it on Netflix while doing something else.
If you're not even going to give it your full attention why bother at all? You could be 'watching' a cooking show or anything at all. You're not watching anything.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.