[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i thought this was good? i was looking for a more recent mature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: fagner.jpg (250KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
fagner.jpg
250KB, 640x960px
i thought this was good? i was looking for a more recent mature mecha series and thought it would fit the bill but my god is it a slog to get through. the last mecha series i watched before it was majestic prince and yeah it was silly but way more engaging. does fafner get better in the 2nd series? or should i give up if it hasn't made an impact yet? i'm halfway through season 1
>>
Just to be clear, you're watching the actual first series from 2004 right? That should pick up at least a little bit soon, there was a writer switch halfway through.

After that the sequel OVA and second season are generally considered a big step up.
>>
>>15801315
I mean sequel movie, fuck. There's a prequel OVA too though that's also good.
>>
>>15801303
People generally consider Dead Aggressor to pick up in the second half, finish the first season before you call your opinion on it if you're currently lukewarm.

Unless you were so underwhelmed that you can't be bothered, watching Left of Right, then Heaven and Earth, and then Exodus in that order is something you should absolutely do.
>>
>>15801316
>There's a prequel OVA too though that's also good.
Right of Left is mandatory viewing. While you can technically watch Exodus without it, the scenes talking about the L plan and how nobody wants to do that again don't work without the context that RoL provides. And it's just a really good prequel.
>>
I know it's unfair to compare just because of character designers, but Fafner's gotta be better than Seed, right?
>>
>>15801339
At the end of the day Hirai is just one staff member among dozens that are completely different. There's no basis for comparison.
>>
>>15801339
Hirai's been around for plenty of good shows and plenty of bad shows, you can't just slather them all with the same paint as though they were the same because one was famously bad.
>>
Yes, it gets better halfway through season one: they switch writers, things move faster, the fights stop being "Elf punches one enemy" and start being interesting multi-unit fights, Maya comes into her own, Soushi and Kazuki's autism thaws, Michio and Canon are miracles.

The first-half slog of DA is a pretty common complaint, but if you make it to episode 16 you'll be in this franchise for life. The thing is, the first half of DA is filled with a lot of slow, lovingly detailed panning shots of SOL stuff and repressed feelings. In the context of the show -- which about what it means to be human, particularly the things that make existence worthwhile and the importance of communication -- that makes sense to set up why the kids and their families are fighting, and how Kazuki and Soushi's problems mirror the relationship between human and Festum. If you go back and watch the first half after watching all of Fafner, you'll go "Fuck yes, this is the comfiest shit ever, I love Tatsumiya and want it to be protected just like its residents do!" But when you're just starting on the show, it can be, as you say, a slog. The new writer balances comfy and plot out much better after the first half.
>>
fafner thread?
>>
>>15801303
I hate recommendations where anons say "you have to wait X episodes until it gets good but it's totally worth it!", and for me Fafner was a good watch right from the start.

On the other hand like the other anons said you're on the brink of the show switching gears. I'd say watch until Kazuki returns to the island, which should take only a few eps from where you are now - the series will have quite a few hype as fuck moments during that time, especially in episodes 15 to 17, so hopefully it will change your mind. If not, then I guess it's not a show for you and you might not bother continuing.
>>
>>15801560
I'm the opposite. I didn't really start liking the series until after the first show. I did think it got better halfway through, but I was still pretty bored until I saw RoL and HaE. Only reason I kept watching is because I thought the overall lore of the series was fairly interesting, so I wanted to see what they did with it
>>
>>15801411
https://sakugabooru.com/data/1a3f9e1e76109f677318068f0bb7be58.webm

On the subject of that scene has anyone noticed both the final battle sequence in HoE and Exodus seem to pay tribute to this scene in Fafner?

Though I kind of feel like Exodus's was far weaker since HaE had those gorgeous visuals and choreography Exodus's version with the Raison couldn't quite match and the original was really iconic and well animated.

On the other hand the scene with Mark Nicht vs Vagrant was really memorable.
>>
File: 1483038616926.png (4MB, 949x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1483038616926.png
4MB, 949x1072px
>>15801303
If you haven't seen the viewing guide yet, here you go. Make sure to watch in release order, Dead Agressor gets pretty good after episode 6 in my opinion. Just wait until the Salvator model Fafners come into play.
>>
>>15801303
>i thought this was good
It isnt. Its the best IP the entire genre has ever produced. That being said: If you just watch Exocus you wont understand anything. Not something the show can be blamed for, though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.