[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /m/'s opinion on Macross Zero? Just watched

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: feature[1].jpg (118KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
feature[1].jpg
118KB, 1000x562px
What's /m/'s opinion on Macross Zero? Just watched it and I found it pretty boring. Didn't really feel like Macross either.
>>
>>15786682
/m/ is full of muh manime fags who will excuse a shit plot as long as the screencaps they see on reddit don't have lolis
>>
>wow why is there suddenly kaijus in muh macross
t. people who skipped 7
>>
>>15786930
>t. people who only saw Plus
Fix'd
>>
>>15786930
>people who skipped 7
I envy them. 7 ruined Macross aesthetically and thematically.
>>
>>15786937
muh gritty scifi space opera
>>
I love it. It's only fault it's the abrupt jump from 4 to 5.
>>
>>15786682
The only parts I couldn't stand from Zero was anything with Roy. It felt like a completely original character, and honestly should have been.
>>
>>15786682
second best in the franchise after Delta, anyone that disagrees needs to go back to Macross World, sprout the wings of a bat, and stomp like a zombie while whistling row row row your boat to a car wash.
>>
File: Sv.51y.jpg (117KB, 1280x944px) Image search: [Google]
Sv.51y.jpg
117KB, 1280x944px
Its got the best VF designs outside of Plus.
>>
>>15786990
Ed boy, do not curse my raspberries to the life of salad dressing!
>>15786980
How?
>>
>>15786682
I found no enjoyment in it whatsoever except for the beautiful operatic singing.
>>
Second worse in the franchise after the second half of delta.
If you want a good Macross OVA just watch 7 Dynamite.
>>
>>15786682
Had some good fights in it and that was it.
>>
>>15786682
It just felt completely unnecessary and retconned shit for the sake of having a plot and VFs.

>muh transforming planes invented by the anti-UN forces
>muh Polynesian islanders
>muh Roy
>muh Protoculture bird
>>
>>15786682

It was fairly good, the only thing I didn't like was how in in the last episodes, it felt like they skipped one/two episodes with the sudden jump from one scene to another
>>
>>15786682
I'd say Macross Zero is during Kawamori's tree hugger phase with Arjuna.

Well he did it before with Macross Dynamite 7 OVA with an anti-whaling message but MD7 was fun.
>>
I liked it, but I'm a sucker for technothrillers involving ancient aliens conspiracy bullshit, so I doubt I'm objective here.
>>
>>15786682
>Didn't really feel like Macross either
Neither did Plus but I've never seen anyone complaining about that.
>>
>>15786682
Yes it was boring, but it set up a lot of lore so that Frontier and Delta wouldn't seem so outlandish.
>>
>>15787392
It's pretty well established that VF technology came from reverse engineering the tech from what would become SDF-1 that crash landed on Earth almost a decade before Zero.
>>
>>15786980
I'm still trying to figure out why they did that. Starts out an episode where you have to buy into a lot on the wrong foot.
>>
>>15787392
Actually that was Anti-UN BS. Why do you think Roy called D.D. sempai? The Anti-UN stole the VF-0 data. The VF-0 was originally just an experimental prototype that was produced in limited numbers but had to be use as the thermonuclear reaction engines of the VF-1 wasn't ready yet.
>Macross Chronicle Technology 01M: Variable Fighter
>Related Matter: The Initial VF Test Pilots
In the earliest VF development, which was advanced by the Unified Forces side, D.D. Ivanov and Roy Fokker served as the test pilots. Its said that even though at first Ivanov was the person in charge and Fokker was the assistant, Ivanov changed sides to the Anti Unification Alliance and with the development data, and Fokker came to fill the role of chief test pilot.

Macross the Ride
>Sv-52? Oryol
>Airframe Explanation
>The SV-51 was developed by the former Anti-Unification power and is the first-ever type of variable fighter that was operated in combat. The SV-52, which is the type equipped with that thermonuclear turbine engine, that the Anti-Unification power had developed for the fight with the Zentraadi, is a masterpiece craft that is the counterpart to the VF-1 and disappeared in the shadow of history.
>>
>>15787759
>Neither did Plus but I've never seen anyone complaining about that.
thats because of shinichiro watanabe dick-sucking because "le bebop is best anime evar XD"
>>
>>15786682

Was it flawed, hell yes. I still like it.

The whole nato vs warsaw pact with VFs was nice to see. The VF designs are top tier everything since has been meh imo. Hey arcadia I need a ghost booster for my 0A!

Delta was garbage and frontier was slightly better. To each their own. I have given up on the series on a story level, i'm here for the valkyries.
>>
>>15787973
Hey I didn't say Plus was bad.
>>
I re-watched it about a year or so ago since there was some anon trashing it relentlessly in a Macross thread and I was curious about it since I hadn't seen it in years and didn't remember much about it. I feel like one of the few people who actually likes it here now, since it mostly gets knocked with only the fights or designs getting a little more love. It's not the greatest Macross entry by any stretch, but it's good and I quite liked it after re-watching it.

I liked Shin's character and his relationship with Edgar, starting as an emotionally closed off loner who's afraid to get close to people and acts like he has to be strong all on his own to survive, earning the distaste of his comrades but then starting to open up despite himself when he thinks Edgar died and the Polynesian's are friendly to him. I like that for someone that starts out so po-faced he actually gets to emote a little in later episodes and even act a little goofy at times. I like the contrast between traditional cultures and modern technology, even if it didn't get a huge amount of play and how Shin eventually starts questioning his complete rejection of spirituality without ever completley rejecting technology. The fights and designs are of course cool, but I like some of the characters and emotional beats of the story too. It'll never be my favorite Macross, but I like it.
>>
File: MacrossZero_CVN99attack.webm (2MB, 856x480px) Image search: [Google]
MacrossZero_CVN99attack.webm
2MB, 856x480px
>>15788081
As someone who doesn't really like it all that much, I will say the depiction of the island itself is quite beautiful, and it makes you feel the shock the islanders experience when the Anti-UN forces and UN forces duke it out and start wrecking the place.
>>
File: destroid-cheyenneii.jpg (161KB, 900x665px) Image search: [Google]
destroid-cheyenneii.jpg
161KB, 900x665px
>>15788438
Man being a Destroid Cheyenne is suffering. At least the Destroid in SDF managed to occasionally be useful, but I'm pretty sure the entire Cheyenne exists exclusively to suffer.
>>
File: cheyenne-lineart.gif (251KB, 1000x707px) Image search: [Google]
cheyenne-lineart.gif
251KB, 1000x707px
>>15788491
I'm pretty sure SDF is the only time Destroids don't job hard.
After DYRL, they're exclusively the domain of mooks.
If it aint a VF, a transforming spaceship, a singer, or a Konig Monster, it aint shit,
>>
>>15786682
I enjoyed it. It was different and short. The cGI isn't great, but it was a nice watch.

>>15786991
Agreed.
>>
File: macross zero.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
macross zero.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>15788530
Hey now, the CGI isn't bad. I'd place it amongst some of the best anime CG I've ever seen (not that it means much, considering how awful most anime CG is even now). Particularly, the last battle is quite spectacular.
>>
File: meh cat.jpg (63KB, 600x687px) Image search: [Google]
meh cat.jpg
63KB, 600x687px
It's pretty..eeeeeeeh. Some stuff in there is kind of cool but overall it's just a sorta bland OVA that fucks with cannon slightly but not in any really spectacularly upsetting way
>>
そんなモノ作る人によって印象は変わります、作品には頼まれたモノと自分が予算内でやりたいモノの2種類あります、それがどっちだったかは作った本人に聞くしかありません
>>
>>15787992
The Ghost Booster was a great idea imo.
Ghost Boosters should be used more.

>Ditch the thing when its useless to you
>It covers your ass till it gets destroyed
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.