[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is mecha/space opera/sci-fi is so unpopular these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: sadfasd.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sadfasd.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
Why is mecha/space opera/sci-fi is so unpopular these days?

Last good thing we had was remake of Yamato, Thunderbolt and Origins(didn't watch yet, but heard good things).
>>
>>15784988
It's a mixture of a new things, first what is popular changes over time. Also a lot of the greatest mecha/sci-fi/operas are "old" and people are really put off by that. They are used to the newer and more colorful style. There is a chance that they like those shows and actually like the style, but it's too foreign to them and are too afraid to just try it out. Same when it comes to mecha, they see the the mecha tag on some show and decide to not even try it. Even if the synopsis or cover or art of whatever seemed interesting to them before they saw that it's mecha.
>>
>>15784988
More like why are they so overrated?

Most people on /m/ just idolise the space opera genre as if it's the only way to make mecha entertaining and good.

Space, mecha and politics make them feel they're watching giant robot shows not for kids, because oh wow, this show has POLITIKSSSSSSSS and it's set in space so it must be a serious show

As if the autistic interactions you find in Tomino anime could be anywhere close to merit being called an opera.

It almost feels like an insult to classic opera when people use that term to describe dumb giant robot cartoons set in space.
>>
>>15785006
You know that space opera isn't limited to anime and it's used for anime that are similar to the stuff that was first labeled as space operas right? In fact the definition that Google gives is

>a novel, movie, or television program set in outer space, typically of a simplistic and melodramatic nature.
>>
>>15784988
>Why is mecha/space opera/sci-fi is so unpopular these days?

Fashion trends change.
People loved SF because the future was super bright and everything was going so fast and technology changed the way your life worked every 5 years or so.

Nowadays, we're in a global recession (double so for Japan). Technology is movie faster than ever but the money is tight so it's only ever applied in safe, familiar ways. Thus it has mostly stopped its "attack" on our society and thus people look elsewhere.
Japanese are falling for love. Excessive waifu-faggotry, romance genre explosion and stuff like that could be said to come from this. The reason being that hard times brought more work, smaller pay and thus less time for romances or kids. The number of people affected by it is rising and the community itself highlights the issue a lot so it's what they focus on.
>>
There's plenty more space operas than that in the past five years alone. You faggots just can't name them because you DON'T FUCKING WATCH ANYTHING.
>>
>>15785036
I mean, if you consider everything in space to be a space opera, then sure.
Stuff like ID-0 or Macross Delta would also apply, for instance.

However, given that the genre is all about space politics, the selection does thin out a bit and it's not wrong to claim it's way past the boom these things have enjoyed back in the day.
>>
>>15784988
3 good shows is pretty good as far as old genres go. I don't think any battle shounen fags or not-Western fantasy fans can say the same.
>>
>>15785004
This. There needs to be a series that doesn't just reflect the technological advancements since real robot became a thing, but that advances them.

I got the biggest smile on my face watching Valerian and GOTG Vol. 2 because the ship designs fit some ideas I'd had myself (larger ships with hyperdrive capability that are actually made up of smaller ships that can scatter during an attack, and remote control swarms, respectively).

But it goes beyond that. What does the internet look like in space? How do VR/AR factor in? Genetic/cybernetic modification? AI? Just society in general? Shows seem content to just rehash what we've seen before, and without the benefit of the solid world-building of UC Gundam and whatnot.

This goes beyond the fact that most shows don't seem to have much to say or that betray their promise with schlocky backpedaling (looking at you, Aldnoah.Zero).
>>
>>15785017
Your point?
>>
>>15785161
You seem to not even know what a space opera is considering you're talking about it being in relation to the art of opera when in reality the name comes from relating it to soap operas.
>>
>>15785172
He also thought Operas had to be good by virtue of being an Opera.
>>
>>15784988
Because most modern mainstream mecha shows like A/Z are just fucking terrible. If the studios aren't going to make good stuff then why should people be interested in it?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.