[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newtypes were a mistake Seriously, what was Tomino thinking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 14

File: Banagher_Links_Newtype.jpg (56KB, 1282x722px) Image search: [Google]
Banagher_Links_Newtype.jpg
56KB, 1282x722px
Newtypes were a mistake

Seriously, what was Tomino thinking? Now every Gundam show has their resident Mary Sue be a Newtype just because it makes them COOL and MYSTERIOUS
>>
They need to actually make some kind of lore or laws behind the newtypes rather than just using it as a macguffin for ass pulls, It might just degrees into power level crap after but its better than "hes a newtype I aint gotta explain shit" Also dont make the newtypes invincible, especially the protagonist Zeta's ending was so effective because it shows that not even the protagonist a powerful newtype is safe from getting fucked up.
>>
File: latest.jpg (169KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
169KB, 1600x900px
>>15782626
Gundam were a mistake

Seriously, what was Tomino thinking? Now every Gundam show has their resident Mary Sue pilot a Gundam just because it makes them COOL and STRONG
>>
>>15782642
I just wish they would stop using teenagers as pilots all the time
>>
File: IronGundam_01_2-490x276.jpg (31KB, 490x276px) Image search: [Google]
IronGundam_01_2-490x276.jpg
31KB, 490x276px
>>15782650
Yeah
Teenagers were a mistake

Seriously, what was Tomino thinking? Now every Gundam show has their resident Mary Sue be a teenager just because it makes them COOL and SUPERIOR TO THOSE DAMN ADULTS!
>>
Newtypes are cool though.
>>
File: 1456233212423.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456233212423.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
Peace Princess were a mistake

Seriously, what was Tomino thinking? Now every Gundam show has their resident Mary Sue be a Peace Princess just because it makes them COOL and MATURE
>>
>>15782642
I mean, that's not entirely wrong.
>>
File: edb98711.png (202KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
edb98711.png
202KB, 480x270px
Maked rivals were a mistake

Seriously, what was Tomino thinking? Now every Gundam show has their resident Mary Sue have a masked rival who is also a Mary Sue and tries too hard to make them COOL and MYSTERIOUS
>>
File: gunplakid.png (789KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gunplakid.png
789KB, 1280x720px
>>15782626
Gunpla was a mistake

Seriously, what was Tomino thinking? Now every Gundam show has all their resident Mobile Suits get a gunpla kit just because they look COOL and make MONEY
>>
>>15782626
Humanity was a mistake
>>
>>15782916
Seriously, what was Tomino thinking? Now every Gundam show has their resident Mary Sue be a Human just because it makes them COOL and MYSTERIOUS
>>
File: spacee.jpg (1MB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
spacee.jpg
1MB, 2880x1800px
Space were a mistake

Seriously, what was Tomino thinking? Now every Gundam show has their resident Mary Sue be in Space just because it makes them COOL and MYSTERIOUS
>>
>>15782630
> especially the protagonist Zeta's ending was so effective because it shows that not even the protagonist a powerful newtype is safe from getting fucked up.

Yeah, but that was an asspull.

How many Newtypes and Cybernewtypes have we seen die horrible deaths onscreen, and only once and without any setup at all did any of them result in psychic backlash.

If you are going to establish that this is a thing that can happen, it needs to happen more than once or its just plot contrivance.

Like the Axis Shock. You don't get to establish that psychic power can literally move mountains until you are willing to accept that war 20 years from not involves cybernewtype neural nets crushing MS and battleships like empty tin cans from the other side of the planet, and the next stage of space travel is the telekinetic acceleration drive.

Once you show a thing is possible, its possible. You can't take that back.
>>
File: Snapshot 26 (8-14-2017 5-45 PM).png (210KB, 464x338px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot 26 (8-14-2017 5-45 PM).png
210KB, 464x338px
Funny how Judau held the same beliefs as Banana but is way more liked because he was less of a whiny bitch.
>>
Shitposting aside, the problem wasn't that these elements were using int he original series. The problem is that Gundam turned into a game of bingo where the only reason to make new shows were to sell new toys, and the plots were just a jumble of shit the original series did done in a madlibs style.

[TEENAGE PROTAGONIST] falls into an experimental mobilesuit called the [NAME] Gundam during war war between the Earth bound [GOOD GUY NAME] and the spaceborn [BAD GUY NAME]. He fights against an ace pilot called [NAME] who wears a mask, and he eventually is discovered to be a [NOT-JEDI NAME].

Gundam getting caught in this loop is no fault but its own. Other mecha franchises that got similar continuations either picked a core cast and kept telling their story, or came up with new stories to tell rather than rehashing everything and hoping no one would notice.
>>
This thread has potential. Nice job /m/en.
>>
>>15783087
Axis shock was a one-time miracle that ate Amuro and required the will of the entire human race. Banana did escalate it a bit with immobilizing the fleet but the psychoframe was eating him for that too. Then the Charter happens and everybody is forced to forget about Newtypes because that would mean changing the govt.
>>
File: IMG_1702.jpg (22KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1702.jpg
22KB, 300x169px
Zeon was a mistake

Seriously, what was Tomino thinking? Now every Gundam show has their resident Mary Sue fight space nazis just because it makes them COOL and HEROIC
>>
>>15782626
>Newtype just because it makes them COOL and MYSTERIOUS
Newtypes have been utilized poorly, but you don't even understand why.
You're just an idiot attempting to fit in on /m/ because you see others shutting on newtypes.
>>
>>15783103
>The problem is that Gundam turned into a game of bingo where the only reason to make new shows were to sell new toys, and the plots were just a jumble of shit the original series did done in a madlibs style.
>tfw given a bit of time Twilight Axis could have been a neat show but they had to ruin it not only by giving it the shittiest adaptation format in the existence of anime but also by diverging from the novel fucking three episodes in
Arlette didn't deserve this shit, bros.
>>
File: IMG_1701.jpg (16KB, 422x318px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1701.jpg
16KB, 422x318px
Reentry scenes were not a mistake

Seriously, I understand Tomino's thinking. Thankfully now every Gundam show has their resilient Mobile Suits reenter the atmosphere because it looks COOL and EXCITING
>>
>>15782626
ITT: faggots who never watched Thunderbolt
>>
>>15782626
there needed to be an explanation as to why a child was merking harden combat veterans left and right
>>
>>15783103
This post is pretty accurate actually
>>
>>15783087
>>15783115
The newtype magic saving the day was fitting in CCA but not in unicorn.
The axis shock wasn't about Amuro or Char, it wasn't because they were super newtypes or because of their willpower or determination. They had fought each other several times and no unusual space magic had occurred. Even after Char was beaten and Amuro tried his hardest to push back axis.
It wasn't until the collective wills of everyone, and quite possibly those of people on Earth as well, was concentrated in one spot that it happened. It was the will of humanity channeled through a couple of psychoframes. Amuro and Char just happened to be there, they didn't start it, they didn't control it.
That is why the cca axis shock was an acceptable space magic asspull. It should be replicable but the conditions it requires are so improbable that it's reasonable that it doesn't occur in the future. It's a miracle.
>>
>>15782626
>Every Gundam show
>Only five TV shows are set in the UC timeline
>Out of the six TV shows that feature Newtypes, one of them has a protagonist that is NOT a Newtype

/m/ was a mistake

Seriously, what was Moot thinking? Now every 4chan board has their resident Mary Sue be on /m/ just because it makes them COOL and HAVE SHIT TASTE
>>
>>15783148
Both Daryl and Io are heavily implied to be Newtypes, and the Newtype bullshit reaches Unicorn levels with the South Seas Alliance.
>>
>>15783192
Unicorn was basically a footnotes version of 0079 to CCA. Literally everything was Banagher just going to one event or another because "hey remember that?"

>oh man here's a neutral colony making a Gundam
>Zeon snuck in and the Gundam rises
>3x faster
>Banagher got captured but met not-Ral
>suddenly we're Zeta and my parental figure died
>in the desert with not-Ral
>colony drop site
>muslim Four
>Garuda rocket to space
>YOU BELONG TO ME SAYONARA
>now we're getting another YOU BELONG TO ME
>we didn't want to go to actual A Baoa Qu but the colony pretty much serves that purpose
>ZEONG
>Puru nooooo
>FUCKING SPACE MAGIC LSD
>Lalah, literally Lalah
>Gryps again
>fuck it Amuro, Kamille, and Judau newtype powers all together all at once
>time to go to Jupiter and fuck off from Earth
>>
>>15783192
Unicorn on the other hand, makes Banana into space Jesus with no adequate explanation.
It's not internally consistent. Newtypes were a proven fact by that point, psycoframes were a known technology, yet you never see any other newtype able to perform anything close to the feats he displays.
It turns the concept into some sort of believe in yourself and you can do anything magic. Yet because that would make newtypes pants on head retardedly powerful, they have to pull some divine rite chosen one bullshit to prevent anyone else in the already established future from doing it again.

But Unicorn is a dumpster fire in every regard except animation so I guess it's to be expected.

>>15783228
CE already did a UC smoothie and it turned out ridiculous. But I suppose it did well so why not reuse the money printing machine.
I think the gunpla shows would have been a more suitable place to do that. More acceptable to copy elements since it is in and of itself about the franchise.
>>
>>15783228

Don't forget some truly stupid plot to keep things going.

"It sure is great living my perfectly normal school li-OH FUCK IM IN LOVE WITH THAT GIRL"

"Who, Micott?"

"NO THAT GIRL I CAN'T SEE FROM HERE WHO IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COLONY AND FALLING TO HER DEATH. I HAVE TO GO AND PERFORM A VERY SPECIFIC SERIES OF EVENTS TO SAVE HER THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE IN ANY OTHER CONTEXT."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"IM THE PROTAGONIST NOW I'LL EXPLAIN LATER"

[one episode later]

"So we can all agree that Full Frontal needs the Unicorn Gundam to perform his plan."

"Yes. With it, he can find the box and start a war."

"Do we need it for anything?"

"Not really."

"So we should just destroy it."

"That would prevent the loss of millions of lives and stop this conflict in its tracks, yes."

"..."

"..."

"So, are we going to do this, or-"

NOPE
>>
I hate what this board has become. What the fuck happened?
>>
>>15783087
>How many Newtypes and Cybernewtypes have we seen die horrible deaths onscreen, and only once and without any setup at all did any of them result in psychic backlash.
>If you are going to establish that this is a thing that can happen, it needs to happen more than once or its just plot contrivance.
You ever see Mark's summary of what 0079's intended 52 episode arc was going to be?
>>
>>15783289
You're in a garbage thread asking why this place is so trashy. Fuck off to a different topic already.
>>
>>15783115

> that would mean changing the govt

Not really. All the charter specified was that newtypes be included, not what their role be. Included could just mean they be secretaries or gophers.

> you never see any other newtype able to perform anything close to the feats he displays.

Probably because he wasn't the root cause of most of them, at least not on his own. Banagher and Riddhe had to work together to stop the colony laser, and even then it's breaking through their psychic shields until Marida's ghost appears. The acid trip through the universe's memories and dissolution of the Neo Zeon is the result of the Neo Zeon's psycoframe ring and the fleet stop is a result of the Unicorn's full body psycoframe. None of the really ridiculous stuff is a result of Banagher himself, who otherwise seems a rather tame newtype frankly.
>>
Newtypes just replicate what the tech already does, faggots.
>>
>>15783358
>None of the really ridiculous stuff is a result of Banagher himself
Why can nobody else ever do it
>>
>>15783395

When has anybody else had a full psycoframe or help from a newtype ghost directly intervening in to their plane of reality? The one time there was anything like it (pyscoframe resonanace) there was a literal miracle.
>>
>>15782626
Gundam and most of its fans are mistakes not just "Newtypes".
>>
>>15783416
It doesn't have to be newtype ghosts, when pulling the Garencieres up it was the ecoas guy and one of the sleeves pilots that appear to Banana. If all it took was a psycoframe and ghost help then every other newtype in unicorn apparently had no friends, and neither did Amuro nor Char.

As for the future, humanity apparently destroyed everything related to the laplace box incident and pretended it never existed. As should we all.
>>
Kira vs Banana
Who wins?
>>
>>15782626
Newtype is a social status.
Just another way to say if you are not born special you are shit. Kids got sent to cramming school to become cyber newtypes, ended up having wacky attitudes and personalities.
>>
File: Snapshot 50 (8-14-2017 9-27 PM).png (181KB, 470x335px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot 50 (8-14-2017 9-27 PM).png
181KB, 470x335px
>>15783664
>Kids got sent to cramming school to become cyber newtypes, ended up having wacky attitudes and personalities.
Don't forget going super saiyan
>>
>>15782630
It was an asspull from the beginning. It was made up in order to explain why Amuro was so good at fighting, even though he was a mechanical genius from the beginning of the show and they could easily say he inherited his genius from his father.
>>
>>15783087
Newtypes freaked out about deaths for the entirety of Zeta

Did you even watch the show?
>>
>>15784105
I think he's referring to scirocco mind raping kamille as he died.
>>
>>15783148
It's shit outside of fight scenes
>>
79 newtypes were good
>>
can we all agree that THIS is not a mistake?
>>
>>15783664
>Kids got sent to cramming school to become cyber newtypes, ended up having wacky attitudes and personalities.

This is a thing actually, I hear people talk about Gundam being a war drama a lot in regards to it's various series but I've never actually seen anything in depth on how moderately fucked up it is to make things like cyber-newtypes. Does that come up at all?
>>
File: CWdfp9UUYAAnwtg.jpg (21KB, 450x341px) Image search: [Google]
CWdfp9UUYAAnwtg.jpg
21KB, 450x341px
/m/ was a mistake

Seriously, what was moot thinking? Now every thread has to be shitposting about FotM Gundam because they think bandwagoning makes them COOL and EDGY
>>
I dunno what newtypes are by Z and ZZ.
I guess the message is that newtypism will not automatically make people understand each other and will be used and abused in war, but both came up already in the original.
>>
>>15784853
Literally Zeta and to a lesser extent ZZ.
>>
>>15783177
At first it was because he was piloting a mech that was effectively indestructible. Later it was because he was actually the most experienced pilot in MS-to-MS combat.
>>
>>15784853
Zeta and ZZ, plus almost every single gryps/neo-zeon side story. Blue destiny to a degree if you consider a brain turned into a newtype ghost AI killing machine fucked up.
>>
I like newtypes but Unicorn was totally guilty of trying to be a big important story centered around the concept of newtypes while simultaneously using them for the laziest writing possible.
>>
NTs were good in 79
Dumb in Z, ZZ and CCA
EXTREMELY dumb in Unicorn
Then good again in Hathaway's Flash, F91, V, Turn A (at least the references it had to newtypes) and Reconguista
>>
>>15784457
Monoeyes were a mistake

Seriously, what was Ookawara thinking? Now every Gundam show has their bad guy suits looked retarded just because he thought it makes them COOL and DIFFERENT
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.