[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Gundam English dubs? Was thinking about re-watching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: 0989074032423.png (70KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
0989074032423.png
70KB, 500x375px
Thoughts on Gundam English dubs? Was thinking about re-watching 0079 and Zeta in English.
>>
>>15776934
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVE-JAPkzck
>>
Love 0079's. I'm not a big fan of Zeta outside Swagtimus and Amuro, the later who later got a role that I thought fit much better in Shinn. Even Pappy's was vastly improved between between Zeta and DWG's reprisal, with DWG2 having best English Kamille IMO.

They aren't consistent in keeping the same VAs though, what with Unicorn, Origin and the new Seed redub.
>>
>>15776934
the 0079 dub is good (TV not movies) , but keep in mind that they didn't dub one of the episodes (Tomino requested that)
as for zeta just stick with the sub (or rewatch the movie trilogy if you haven't)
>>
>>15776934
0079's dub is pretty great. Zeta's isn't AWFUL but it's pretty mediocre outside of a few standout performances (Scirocco and Quattro). CCA returns to the 0079 cast is similarly pretty good. As for the rest of the series, Gundam dubs usually range from mediocre to pretty good. The only ones I'd call outright bad are GBF since it's a flip dub and the 0079 movies.
>>
I wish Bright had a Brit accent in the dub, like that one dub
>>
>>15776934
Its surprisingly good. Michael Kospa is great as Char, and I wish he got to deliver this >>15776969

>>15777013
Are there any traces of that lost episode?
>>
>>15777013
>but keep in mind that they didn't dub one of the episodes (Tomino requested that)
I did hear of this. What episode was it and what was his reason for leaving it alone?
>>
>>15778533
Doran's Island also he just wasn't fond of the episode
>>
Here's the missing episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7O-n5-LPLo
>>
I thought the dubs for SEED and SEED Destiny were good.

It's kind of a shame they're redubbing it.
>>
>>15778538
>I thought the dubs for SEED and SEED Destiny were good.
Your tastes is fucking terrible
>>
File: doans island.jpg (331KB, 1500x1257px) Image search: [Google]
doans island.jpg
331KB, 1500x1257px
>No Shuichi Ikeda
Why would I even bother?

>>15778533
Tomino being personally dissatisfied with the quality of the episode. Mainly animation-wise, but the script is crap too.
>>
>>15778534
>>15778553
Despite this, Cucuruz Doan somehow gets a slot in Gundam Versus.
>>
>>15778555
Doan is just an oldschool Gundam meme. The episode itself is so retarded, and the animation so wildly QUALITY that it loops around on itself and goes from being bad to so-bad-it's-good.
>>
>>15778559
Watched the 0079 dub, and this one sub episode. All I remember is that nothing mattered, so I can see why it never got a dub. Don't really remember much QUALITY, but most of 0079 was QUALITY so perhaps it just never stood out to me in a sea of QUALITY.
>>
>>15778541
Okay.
>>
>>15778559
>so-bad-it's-good
It's like specifically made for parodies like Gundam Abridged
>>
File: cucuruz doans island.png (764KB, 700x718px) Image search: [Google]
cucuruz doans island.png
764KB, 700x718px
>>15778569
Honestly, the first time I watched 0079 I didn't even notice the QUALITY, it was only going back and watching scenes in isolation that I really noticed how limited and janky the animation was.
The exception was Doan's Island.
>>
>>15778541
>wildly hating anything remotely related to CE
I personally only had neutral feelings towards the dub but /m/ is specifically known for praising it.
I wouldn't even touch SEED/Destiny if not for Stargazer
>>
My favorite of the Gundam ones is 00 mostly because I found it hard to follow the technoballble with the subs so I found it made the show more digestible for me and I could follow the action.
>>
>No one has mentioned G
It's the undisputed best dub
>>
File: lockonsmirk.png (471KB, 604x634px) Image search: [Google]
lockonsmirk.png
471KB, 604x634px
>>15779006
I really liked the dub of 00. Alex Zahara as Lockon was a particular standout, it's a pity he hasn't really done much other VA work, because that man has a sexy, sexy voice.
>>
Gundam SEED would drastically improve in quality if its OST was replaced with the music from Ed Edd n Eddy. Discuss.
>>
>>15779055
But the OST is pretty much one of the only good things about SEED. Replace the plot with Ed, Edd n Eddy's on the other hand, then you have a recipe for success.
>>
I hate the music they replaced the Japanese soundtrack with. It's total garbage.
>>
>tfw you're the only one in this timeline that liked and still likes the Wing dub

>tfw despite some of its faults in voice direction you believe it's otherwise a relatively grounded dub and can't imagine an impending redub without the Ocean cast
>>
>>15779142
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w
>>
>>15779144
What ABOUT the problem with those mobile suits you mealy mouthed motherfucker
>>
>>15779032
I wish the casting and direction were a little more on point, though. Alex Zahara as Lockon was alright, but he would have been better had he tossed in at least an attempt at an Irish accent and sounded less like he were just reading from the script. That tended to be an issue with most of the cast - they were acting well enough but didn't really commit or go into their characters.
>>
>>15779163
>attempt at an Irish accent
after Dunbine it's clear that dubs should stay away from that
>>
>>15776934
I usually prefer them to subs but I don't mind dubs much anyway.
>>
>>15779163
>>15779191
>no Irish accent
I think this was probably the smart call. Him affecting a fake Irish accent might have come across as a bit silly or hard to take seriously, and that wouldn't have fit at all.
>>
>>15779032
Ribbons was great too, even if it was missing the Amuro connection.
>>
>>15778522

Yes, of course, just not dubbed in English. The episode in question is the one with Doan's Island.
>>
>>15779334
Then again, in the 00 dub Setsuna now has Amuro's voice.
>>
>>15779334
Now that I remember, McNeil was perfect as Ali as well.
>>
>>15778555
he's in everything because he's a meme
>>
>>15777013
>watch the zeta movie trilogy
boy
>>
>>15779109
>Hey Assrun we have to scam Orb so we can get jawbreakers
>So Killer what is the plan?
>>
>>15779283
Zeeon Dycoon!?
https://youtu.be/oULr71GXZeQ
>>
ZZ had the best dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vdfIFZYJvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymeWdSey-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhteNDCFlJM
>>
>>15779283
>that file name
>>
The dub black tri stars are better then any others
>>
>>15781337
The english voice actor for Judua in Gundam vs Zeta Gundam wasn't bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5iCq9PqA0
>>
>>15781308
Lol
Classic
>>
>>15781533
I preferred most of the English casting in Dynasty Warriors Gundam. That was probably as close as we're going to get to full, quality dubs for Zeta, ZZ, Turn A and the like.
>>
>tfw want a greco dub
>voice opinion on mahq
>get flammed

I just want my favorite show to get dubbed is that so wrong
>>
>>15776934
the 0079 dubs are fine tho the 3 part movie dubs annoy me, most of the time gundam dubs are fine and i generally have it running as i do other things. its to hard to multitask and read subtitles.
>>
>>15783535
>I just want my favorite show to get dubbed
I'm not sure how I feel about this, no-dubs are an innate ironic weeaboo filter so I don't have to worry about /a/ fucking my discussion up.
On the flipside, it does make the pool of discussion smaller and it's MUCH harder to co-watch (in-person) a subbed show.
>>
>>15779032

Alex Zahara is underrated, he got cast in the Gintama dub fortunately.
>>
>>15778522
The only "dub" I know of is the abridged parody by
GuttedWrenStudios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th69ghf02Vw
>>
>>15781533
I was surprised at the level of dialogue that they did for these games.
They even dubbed the final conversation between Haman and Judau before she commits suicide.
>>
>>15785753
>Pants! Pants where are you!?
>>
>>15779163
There was a slight Irish accent every once in a while.
>>
>>15776934
I really wish Turn A got a dub.
>>
So why is Master Asia so much better in the English dub than the Japanese? It's not even a competition.
>>
>>15778541
Rau was fantastic, and Mu fit pretty well too.
Athrun had some good lines here and there, but I can't think of anything else.
>>
>>15776934
Most of the dubs are pretty below average and only really good for nostalgia purposes. They all have that 90's anime dub trait where the script is pretty darn literal, most of the actors sound rough, but then there are one or two that sound really good.

That goes for:
0079 dub: TV series anyway, movie dubs are mostly rubbish with some amusing shit here and there.
Zeta: Honestly this one is mostly awful and sounds like an 80's dub, but was released in 2004 of all fucking times. Listen to the Ghost in the Shell SAC dub then listen to this and tell me there's even a slight comparison.

Wing and G: Oh absolutely fall victim to this rule. These dubs are 90's and shit, even if they were made in the early 2000's. Nostalgia is great and all but Endless Waltz is the closest the Wing dub gets to passable, and the fact that Heero's original dub VA hated working on the project as much as he did (hated the direction he was given for the character, and the reaction from many of the fans) to the point that he legit refused work for a Gundam show from that point on should tell you a lot. Also Mark Gatha went on record back in that day that he wanted to redo the dub for the first half of G because he felt he only really understood what he was doing as Domon after the midpoint. Sure citation needed and all that so take with a grain of salt, but these were all passed down the word of mouth train back in the day and never shot down so I wouldn't doubt there's some truth to them.

Seed/Destiny: Again, rubbish direction of many of the actors, Flay and Rau manage to salvage the best of their bits and sound really darn good but I honestly don't think this was a good one at all overall. There's a redub with a new cast coming out soon for the HD blu-ray release, and call it a dumb move, or a pointless decision, that new cast is looking fucking lit and it's being done by a studio that's fantastic and I'll get to in a second.
>>
>>15795311
00: Ooof. Ooooooooooof man was this dub a misstep. I'm not even going to get too deep on this, but Lockon, Graham and maybe Soma were the best parts of it, and even the first two sounded way better in DWG 3. Everyone else was either seriously miscast, asleep on the job, or just super rough. Brad Swalie is rubbish as Setsuna and I saw that knowing I loved the guy as Light Yagami. And I don't blame the actors 100% either, direction was stiff and boring, script was either super literal or changed good shit for no reason at all (AVENGING ANGEEEEEL). Also I'm not much for technical aspects of making a dub, but even I could tell the tech guys had not given a single fuck here. The voices constantly and completely drown out ALL the music so it's barely audible. This is a problem that persists throughout the whole show and finally apparently gets worked out in time for the movie. A scene between Graham and Setsuna in S2 before their fight is hilarious because in Japanese the music really helps set the tone, where's in english it's just two dudes talking really clearly and loudly in space because the music is completely drowned out.

The one thing I note is that for all of these except 0079, Wing and G, the director was the same guy. And looking at his resume, Black Lagoon is apparently the one lucky fluke he's had because everything else he's directed has been subpar as hell.

0080 War in the Pocket: This ones dub has heart, it's old and has problems, and some weird accent decisions, but David Hayter sounds great, it keeps all the emotional punches, and it's short and sweet, definitely one I can recommend.
>>
>>15795312
Alright I've been pretty negative thus far, so lets switch gears. I dunno how many of you have checked them out, but the latest Gundam show dubs, the ones that haven't been tainted with nostalgia yet, are all super fucking legit.

Unicorn: Wonderful dub, and one of the worlds first simuldubs, released alongside the Japanese version. Brilliant casting, and this is why I mentioned the VA of Seabook and Shiro earlier. He plays Banagher here and he sounds so much better than either of his other roles. Admittedly he's had 10 years of acting under his belt in the time, but even so, great direction helps, and the directors for the show (and many Gundams to come) are Michael Sinterniklaas and Stephanie Sheh at NYAV post, and man have they been doing great work for English Gundam. I actually prefer Full Frontal in English over the legendary Shuichi Ikeda, because honestly Keith Silverstein is so goddamn good as him.
You want to see dedication to an acting craft? This shows dub has it man.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/interview/2010-11-04/michael-sinterniklaas-and-stephanie-sheh-on-gundam-uc
Some quotes for ya
"Was any scene particularly hard to do?
Michael Sinterniklaas: Banagher has this emotional intuitive moment that he can't explain. He's speaking about something he can't define, so he's saying things like “I need you to need me.” And that sounds a little bit weird, but that's because he can't understand what he's going through. Something is awakening in him. But when I watch it, I feel the audience response is “ohhh” and it makes sense. But that was the hardest scene. Fifteen seconds of screen time, and we did it for hours."

Anime dubs getting "Take 2's and 3's" is a rare occurrence, and they worked on this one Banagher scene in episode 1 for hours just to make sure it sounded right. I can guarantee you that didn't happen with any of the dubs I mentioned above. Watch Unicorn's dub for sure.
>>
>>15795316
The Origin: Another one by the masters at NYAV post, and if it sounds like I'm fan wanking them too hard, forgive me because I absolutely am. Like Unicorn it sounds fantastic but I just wanna give a shout out to the english re-casting of all the Zabi family members because they sound perfect here. Liam O'Brien as fucking Ghiren is something I can't believe didn't exist before this dub because he's amazing. Keith Silverstein follows up his performance as Full Frontal with an actually really good Char voice. Ikeda is the classic so I'm not going to call you out if he's the only one you can ever hear in the role, but Silverstein changes his tone and delivery in such a great way from Full Frontal that you can tell they're similar but not the same at all.

Thunderbolt: The lead guy from the Your Lie in April, One Punch Man and Aldnoah Zero dubs voices Io Flemming. That dude is dubbing over Yuichi Nakamura. Initially I was like "now wait a fucking second", but again, Michael Sinterniklaas just knows what he's doing man. The guy (a voice actor by the name of Max Mittelman) sounds fantastic and nothing like the roles I mentioned above. The whole dub sounds super raw and intense and that's the best and most fitting aspect about it all. Can't wait to hear who they get for some of the Season 2 characters because man they really got this one down.

Iron Blooded Orphans: Really good actually, great casting for all the mains, and they just hit all the notes of the show really well. Seabook, Shiro and Banagher's VA returns AGAIN (he's the Koyasu of the Gundam dubs) this time as our boy McGillis and man is it a drastic voice style change. Also a good dub to check out for the curious /m/ goer to hear what modern dub VA's have to offer these days. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>15795317
I think I’ve covered everything. Gundam dubs are like many other anime, a lot of the older shows sound rough but are nostalgia’d these days, and they’re doing good work with the newer ones. It’s such a Japanese rooted franchise that’s still honestly growing in the west, but give yourselves a chance to break free from those admittedly hard rooted Japanese language tracks with some of the newer shows, and I think you'll like what you hear.
>>
>>15795318
There was F91 dub too, all I can remember is that Cecily and Iron Mask were superb, while Zabine and Annamarie were totally horrible.
>>
>>15778518
That's
>AMOOROO, GIT IN THE GOONDAMN
right?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.