[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok so I finally got myself to watch this I really dont understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: 87.jpg (39KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
87.jpg
39KB, 225x350px
Ok so I finally got myself to watch this I really dont understand the praise. I was lead to believe that this has incredible animation and art direction, but that definitely is not the case. The story also is fairly sleep inducing. While the build up towards the final battle is decent, but not special in any form or shape, the conclusive battle is complete fucking dogshit. So what exactly is the praise directed at? The fact that Amuros Gundam frame looks good? Or that single, fairly well animated funnel scene? And it definitely doesnt help that Quess is even more annoying than Kamille was for the first 10ish episodes of Zeta.

Did get I get bamboozled? What the fuck is going on, I dont get it? How can anybody praise this shit for its visuals when its less than 4 years older than 0083 while looking infinitely worse? Not even gonna start on the fact that it looks like a turd with a cocktail umbrella compared to DYRL, which is older than it.
>>
You are correct. CCA is not actually a masterpiece. It has a bunch of glaring flaws, the plot is iffy and the characters are kind of crappy. In short, standard Tomino fare.

But it gets a pass since it's literally the last time you ever see Amuro and Char. It is good for that.
>>
>>15764989
Not anymore. Go see the new Build Fighters short.
>>
Reminder that this is a 0083fag shitposter from /a/ who is retarded and thought 0083 was made in 1983.
>>
>>15765007
>Implying 0083 want made in 1983
>Implying Unicorn wasn't made in 1996
It's like you didn't even read the title
>>
>>15764975
I think the main issue is that the studio was split between animating this and ZZ at the same time, which probably explains why both have sub-par animation for the time. As a point of reference, Akira, which is often hailed as pretty much a watershed moment in animated film, was only released three months later.
>>
>>15764975
CCA doesn't get that much praise. The problems with the film are very obvious, the main one being that the story was too big to cram into a movie and so it feels nonsensical.

I personally have also always felt that it makes very little sense as a continuation of Zeta. It really didn't seem like that was the direction Char's character was going. I think that if anything, CCA would make MORE sense if Zeta (and ZZ) just didn't exist. As a continuation of 0079 it works better.
>>
On what fucking parallel universe is CCA not regarded as well-animated? /m/ has always praised at least that part of it.

>>15765091
Also everything in the second paragraph of this post.
>>
q>>15765274
>On what fucking parallel universe is CCA not regarded as well-animated
Probably in the universe in which people arent ignoring 95% of the movie and think that only combat scenes need fluid animation (which even is far from being fluid in those few combat scenes, by the way).
>>
It's the worst Gundam entry I've seen. Only decent thing about it is char and amuros conflict coming to a lackluster end.
>>
>>15765091
I agree it's a really awkward followup to Zeta (and other than Haman being gone it pretty much ignores ZZ so whatever) and feels more like an alternate take of how Char's character could have developed after the OYW.

Even Amuro asks more than once what the fuck happened since Zeta and Char has no good answer for him other than to spit the same nonsense he's selling his followers.

I mean, I guess the guy just snapped and went full psychopath. That's the only real explanation.
>>
File: 1481907946992.jpg (29KB, 499x500px) Image search: [Google]
1481907946992.jpg
29KB, 499x500px
>0079: Char fights the federation and the zabis
>Zeta: Char fights the federation and the titans
>CCA: Char fight the federation and londo bell

>WTF CHAR CHANGED SO MUCH
>>
>>15765429
It's the, "out genocidal maniacs even Gihren," that changes.
>>
>>15764975

Comparing it to two of the best looking of mecha is a pretty high bar honestly. Almost NOTHING looks as good as DYRL and 0083. The story was good and thematically carry's on and concludes the important themes from 0079 and Zeta, and the art direction and animation was really good. You not liking the final battle just means that you have bad taste.
>>
>>15765347
Ignoring Unicorn, Igloo, 8th Ms, Wing, Seed...
>>
>>15764975
Personally, I pretty much hate everything about CCA. Except maybe the MS designs.
>>
>>15765861
>Unicorn
>bad
LOVE this meme, just love it.
>>
>>15765884
Never said it's bad, I really like Unicorn, but it's far from being my favourite UC Gundam, I think UC doesn't have any bad series, it's just that 8th and Unicorn have many flaws.
mm'kay anon ?
>>
The reality is that most /m/ stuff is mediocre if not down-right bad, so of course something like CCA sees (now waning) praise.
>>
>>15765948
Push off, xPic
>>
>>15765970
Hes right, though. Mecha has got to be the biggest hit or miss genre in existence.
>>
>>15765970
Honestly, for almost anything /m/, quality is a secondary or even tertiary thing. We all have our reasons for enjoying what we do, and there are some things in /m/ stuff that are truly exceptional, but most of it is pretty bad, and that's okay.
>>
>>15765948
Most of anything is mediocre though
>>
>>15766672
Not him but having watched more than 800 shows/movies this is particularly true for mecha. There isnt a single genre that is as hit or miss as this one. You either get a great show or you get utter dogshit. Decent or mediocre stuff hardly exists.
>>
>>15766702
On the bright side, with the progressive subbing of mecha shows it's getting easier to point out which ones to avoid, even if most titles aren't brought up much, if at all.

Mecha manga other than Gundam, on the other hand...
>>
>>15766750
Its gotten easier by default since most modern mecha have atrocious CGI. I mean, there were so few shows/franchises that actually were good since 2000, that looking at studios and directors gives you a decent headsup of what to expect and whether or not its gonna be worth your time. As soon as studios figure out how to make mecha CGI look good, like Xebec has somewhat managed to do, thats precisely when mecha will start to be decent again. Suddenly it possible for these shitty shows to create an immersive experience.

While some shows have made rather good use of CGI, like Majestic Prince, Fafner and AZ, outside of Fafner they always fuck up the other parts. Prime example is Rakuen. Fucking hell were the fights well done, unfortunate that everything else is complete dogshit. Fuck CGI, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>15766702
Go away, xpearse.
>>
>>15766766
I mean, Gundam is the perfect example. Most of the entries are absolute bin tier. Not decent, just plain dogshit and then you have a few entries that are exceptional.
>>
>>15766702
>there isnt a single genre that is as hit or miss as this one
Forget genre, that's anime in general
>>
>>15766771
>Most of the entries are absolute bin tier
Not really. The average quality of Gundam material is pretty high, especially compared to other stuff that is popular today.
>>
>>15767064
>complete trash
f91, greco, zz, buildfighter, thunderbolt s2+, IBO, seed, ggundam, waltz ovas, origin, twilight axis, zeta movies, msg movies, 0083 movie, unicorn tv

>ok
ccg, wing, wing movie, 00

>great
0083 ova, unicorn ova, zeta, msg, thunderbolt s1, war in the pocket

Waltz is the perfect example of wasted potential, which is what most of Gundam can be considered. The movie looks stellar, but holy shit is the writing dogshit thanks to them trying to fit the script for a 1 cour tv-show into a 2 hour movie. CCG makes hardly any sense, as many people in this thread attested to. I dont know where you get the idea from that most of the Gundam shows are good by modern standards, when the vast majority of them is completely failing at telling a coherent story.
>>
>>15767095
>all those good shows in complete trash tier
>wing somehow better than F91, G-Reco, ZZ, Build Fighter, G Gundam, or the msg movies
Either you have an extreme sense of shit taste or you're a troll
>>
>>15767221
>good shows
Thanks for the laugh. This is utterly laughable if you actually compare them to other genres. Sure, by mecha standards maybe, but thats specifically what you didnt claim. You specifically compared this shoddily written trash to works that are part of other genres. You must be suffering from some severe mental disability to unironically believe that greco, zz or the abomination that is f91 are good.
>>
>>15767095
Fuck the "modern standards" shit. Something is either good or it isn't.

Though as for your list there, here's your (You).
>>
>>15767278
>Something is either good or it isn't.
Your perception of what is good or is changes with every show you watch. Something you might consider to be good now is something you might consider to be average in a year. The more shows you watch, the more likely this is going to occur. Pretty sure when you first started watching anime you thought X was the pinnacle of the medium as well. Highly doubt you still feel the same.
>>
>>15767278
stop replying to xpearse
>>
>>15767095
You write all this without even having any valide criticism, but really ?
Thunderbolt is great ? Let me guess, it was the mediocre jazz, right ? The only good thing about that series is the animation.
Also, the 0079 movies may not be as good as the series but they're still great.
Unicorn is ok, the animation and soundtrack were good, but the story and the characters were nothing special.
>>
>>15767285
That's your personal taste changing due to age and maturity level.

It has nothing to do with something's inherent quality. Age is arbitrary. Something can become dated of course, but if it's worth something to begin with it will always be worth something on some level.
>>
>>15767310
>Thunderbolt is great ?
Its the animation and the art direction, nothing else. I think that the characters are complete dogshit but its bearable due to the fact that its only like 80 minutes in total and the story/climax isnt actually as botched as lets say the Wings movie. The show worked if you just watch it once. Probably should have thrown that between ok and great.

>the 0079 movies may not be as good as the series but they're still great
Can throw them under OK for all I care but great? Thats just laughable. Especially considering the fact that the first one is absolutely horrible and probably one of the worst introduction to the genre/franchise you can give someone.

>the animation and soundtrack were good
Hate the show as much as you want but being unable to admit that animation and audio design were absolutely impeccable by Gundam standards is just pants on head retarded. Espcially the audio design blows every other Gundam show so hard out of the water that it isnt even funny.

>>15767321
Thats completely fucking retarded. If you have only watched 50 shows then you might not even realize what good writing is because you have never actually encountered it. Most Gundam shows have trash writing, even by industry standards. Even 0083, which I praise, has a lot of issues in that regard. There isnt a single Gundam show that consistently presented an actually well written story. Not even Zeta or MSG. The closest is probably, which in itself is sad, Turn A, because thats just such a hippy jerkoff fest with no combat but at least it present its plot in a consistently well written manner.

If we "objectively" judge Gundam shows then most of them have 1-2 positive aspects, but every single one of them is mediocre in regards to writing and world building AT BEST. Youd be aware of that had you actually watched other mecha or scifi shows.
>>
Better than EoE, even according to Anno.
>>
>>15767365
Most people have taken shits better than EoE.
>>
>>15767095

>G Gundam

>Not the best kung fu drama ever written

G-Reco was really good to save the last episode being too rushed and bit of a drag in the middle arc.

I don't know what "modern standards" has to do with anything here either. Anime has gotten worse over the last few decades, so if anything by "modern standards" these shows are pretty good - since so much anime nowadays is just bad.
>>15767337

>Not even Zeta or MSG.

Demonstrate why you think this is the case. I completely disagree and am curious what your rationale here is.
>>
>>15767700
>I don't know what "modern standards" has to do with anything here either. Anime has gotten worse over the last few decades, so if anything by "modern standards" these shows are pretty good - since so much anime nowadays is just bad.

Seriously. I've come to appreciate things I didn't care for before simply because the modern landscape is such a desert.
>>
>>15767700
>Anime has gotten worse over the last few decades
It has not. Sturgeon's law literally applies to anime as it does to everything else. Just because theres MORE doesnt mean that the a higher percentage of bad shows. Its still the exact same, although I do agree that most modern mecha are trash. Based on my experience I am also fairly sure that hardly anyone here actually watches shows that arent /m/, which would explain why people are under the impression that Gundam shows have good writing.

MSG and Zeta have the issue of mostly being about standalone episodes. Now while I am not saying that the episodes arent connected in any form or shape, a cliffhanger is very often lacking. Problems are introduced and concluded fairly quickly. To some this is an upside, and in shows such as Mushishi or romance this definitely works, but in a 50ep anime about what is essentially a war drama this simply robs the title of a lot of its tension. Particularly in Zeta the constant scirmishes without any tactical lead or concept are completely retarded. Characters dying is often not setup properly and an utter waste of potential since the viewers emotional involvement could have been higher had the death been setup a bit better. Most of Zetas death are as fucking anticlimactic as Burnings in 0083. I could complain about certain archtypes being part of Zeta, but that wouldnt make a lot of sense since the show basically introduced them to the genre. However, when you can directly compared them to more modern versions of themselves (for example in Fafner) then their flaws become way more obvious. I am not gonna complain about the cast being unlikeable, because I dont see any value in doing so and also feel like its more subjective than any other aspect of the writing. Kamille has reasons to behave the way he does and is sometimes in the right to throw a tantrum.
>>
>>15767700
>>15767776
cont.

However, I think its necessary to mention that most of the romantic plotlines are completely fucking retarded. Its war, we get it, but holy shit did they do a piss poor job at developing the characters into the respective direction prior to them becoming romantically interested in someone. The fact that character abandon thier respective factions all the time really sits ill with me as well, but maybe thats common in war who knows.

Another thing worth mentioning is that both MSG and Zeta are badly paced. Considering the little plot they are tring to convey, they could have cut down the amount of episodes by quite a bit. Now I get that theres no economical incentive to do so, but something like that cant be taken into consideration when evaluating the overall quality of the writing.

Now before you go full rage mode on me: I dont think that Zeta or MSGs writing are particularly bad. Both of them suffer more from the enforced 50 episode format than anything else and by Gundam standards they certainly are written fairly well. But if I compare them to other shows in the genre, such as Votoms or Fafner (or, dont kill me, EVA), or shows that arent part of the genre, such as Hyouge Mono, House of Five Leaves, Moribito, Banner/Crest of Stars, Yamato (2199), LotGH, Maison Ikkoku, Katanagatari and a lot of others, then they simply fall flat. They get bonus points because they were to some extend the first of their kind, the art direction is good and what sells Zeta for example is the detail put into the audio design. But if we look exclusively at writing the neither show excels in any form or shape. And in that case it doesnt matter if Zetas ending is great. A handful of episodes cant suddenly lift an entire show to the throne. In that regard I feel like the show is the exact opposite so something like Escaflowne. Insteaf of badly paced ending with properly paced world building, it has a properly paced ending with bad pacing throughout.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.