[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the plot of this game get shit on when majority of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 17

File: metroid_om_11_1600.jpg (696KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
metroid_om_11_1600.jpg
696KB, 1600x1200px
Why does the plot of this game get shit on when majority of the issues from the game comes from the canon manga?
>>
Because the canon manga is shit
>>
>>15762549
/thread
>>
I liked the humanoid Mother Brain ideas posed but much like the Crossbone manga, shitty art and writing undermines anything cool and this game just tried to make it "super serious and cinematic" without accounting for any of that bullshit. Also the ignoring of series lore given by the other games was a slap in the face. Her outfits were cute though
>>
>>15762541

Not really. The one thing that does come from the manga is Samus' reaction to Ridley, but it's completely out of context in Other M, since it had already been beaten twice/thrice by then, even if you don't count the Prime games rather than during their first encounter.
>>
>>15762541
Because it also ignores the manga, in it she freaks out at Ridley but overcomes that and brutalizes him, here she reacts worse than before and then there is the absolutely retarded everything surrounding her actions around Adam
>>
I feel like the only person in the world that liked Metroid Fusion.

The whole feud with the feddies while avoiding SA-X was really cool.
>>
File: 1372297119552.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1372297119552.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>15763458
I've always liked Fusion because it was my first Metroid game. It really nailed the atmosphere.
>>
>>15762541
The manga isn't a game, so no one cares.
>>
>>15763469
This is /m/, not /v/. Here, shit is canon just because it has the same director.
>>
>>15762541
Because even though Sakamoto commissioned the Manga, he decided that he would ignore it and only take bits and pieces that he liked. The chozo were essentially retconned as meaning anything to Samus, Adam instead took up the entire parent role. Her amazing fight with Ridley where she realizes that as long as she has her suit, she doesn't need to fear him is completely trodden on.

This isn't even getting into the problems with Adam, which show him to be completely different from how he behaves in Fusion and even to Samus' memories of him. Or even the complete and utter retardedness of the cast.

>"Samus, your suit is dangerous, shut down all of your offensive capabilities"

>Proceeds to shut down a purely defensive system that would help to keep her alive

Or how about shooting someone in the back, disabling them when there is a life sucking parasite directly in front of them. The game is just retarded narrative again and again and plot holes having to be explained in supplemental material.

Samus being meek in the manga was also ok, because she's young, inexperienced and acting on emotion. At Other M, she's suppose to be experienced and capable, that's why her emotional outbursts are seen as silly. She acts nothing like how Fusion presents her, despite Fusion taking place only a year after Other M.
>>
File: 1209671327774.jpg (205KB, 450x571px) Image search: [Google]
1209671327774.jpg
205KB, 450x571px
>>15762541
>America projects the idea of Samus as a stoic powerhouse, even though that was only kinda her personality in Metrroid and Prime.
>America ignores all the weird sexist bullshit and/or waifu implications in 2/Super/Fusion because nobody actually cares about Metroid's story.

>Japan finally makes a Metroid game past 16 bit hardware.
>All their generic unimaginative bullshit makes it in.
>All the fanwank that America loved about Metroid that made it into Prime didn't make the cut.
>The game is am aesthetic dead end with uninteresting characters and settings.
>>
>>15763458
A lot of people like Metroid Fusion if you ignore the one or two contrarians on 4chan
>>
>>15763718
This

Murrica loved playing Samus up as some feminist icon like these commercials with female athletes. In Japan they focused on sex appeal.

If you get mad at the manga or Other M ' ruining Samus' you probably also think Dairanger ruined Based Tommy by making him a kid.
>>
File: Visible confusion.gif (1MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
Visible confusion.gif
1MB, 540x304px
>>15763718
>weird sexist bullshit and/or waifu implications in 2/Super/Fusion
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>15763458
Fusion is my shit ma nigga
>>
>>15763458
Fusion is good man. SA-X was fucking great and I did like how after all of the space pirate shit the Feddies are fucking idiots.
>>
File: Samus_in_cloak.png (845KB, 842x1292px) Image search: [Google]
Samus_in_cloak.png
845KB, 842x1292px
>>15762541
The backstory manga is just that, backstory. Prequel. Stuff that happened before. Samus has gone through a character arc in the manga and developed as a character.

Other M tries to ape the same character arc, but not only does it do so poorly, it does so far after the events of the manga. Other M gets character relationships that were in the manga way off the mark. Adding to all of this, Other M has its own story that it tries and fails to portray that just makes all of it a jumbled mess.

Adding to this the actual plot of the manga is kinda mediocre. Other Metroid manga like Episode of Aether and Samus and Joey are a far more enjoyable read than the backstory. I'd even say I like the 4-koma Super Metroid manga more, but it's not really comparable to the other series in tone.

So you have a poor copy of a not especially amazing story. A copy that fails to capitalize on what that story did well. And as its own thing, something that is rife with exceptionally poor writing and story elements. That is why people don't much care for the plot of Other M, OP.

Now go read Samus and Joey.
>>
>>15767289
Episode of Aether was an attempt to get Japan interested in Prime. Didn't work.

Metroid suffers from shitty 80s localization in a similar way Dragonball does in America. People grew up with a radically different interpretation than Japan did, and now that the internet lets us see and experience everything as it was in Japan, you got a split in the fanbase who want those franchises to be like the localization or true to the Japanese original. In Metroid's case its people who want it to focus on the feminist shooter aspect Prime set up, which Japan hates, and the cheesy, sexy, action game outside of the Prime series,which Prime fans hate
>>
>>15767318
Oh boy, I can't wait for that updated script for Samus Returns! I have a hard time getting through Metroid II because the localization is so poor and nothing like the Japanese version at all.
>>
>>15762541
The majority of the issues from Other M come from fucking Other M. I haven't read the canon manga, but unless it's vastly better than the game, I don't want to. That game was fucking garbage.

>>15763700
>Or how about shooting someone in the back, disabling them when there is a life sucking parasite directly in front of them.

"these metroids are not freezable, and we know this because I say so and not actually because I tested this, and because of this I have the right to shoot you in the back while there is a metroid in the room. also despite literally no weapon ever being able to do it, my shot takes you out in one hit, something FUCKING MOTHER BRAIN AND SA-X CAN'T EVEN DO."

"oh also we're now saying you need to be able to freeze metroids to kill them despite that not being a thing in any game except the original and zero mission. wasn't a thing in 2, wasn't a thing in the primes, wasn't a thing in super. so the thing is that you need big explosions, as seen by my killing them all with big explosions, but samus can't do this despite having fucking power bombs because that would mean she actually does something on her own agency in this game and that's literally never allowed to happen"

>>15763458
Fusion was great, though. Other M was them shitting all over Fusion (and Super to an extent) but that doesn't make Fusion bad.
>>
Further proof that women ruin sci-fi. Should've just made Samus a man like she should've and not get involved with all this waifu/feminist garbage.
>>
>>15763458
Its just people didn't like the more streamlined/linear paths in Fusion. But the plot was great and the power ups were fun. Then Zero Mission came out and all were happy, at least me.
>>
>>15767436
>"these metroids are not freezable, and we know this because I say so and not actually because I tested this, and because of this I have the right to shoot you in the back while there is a metroid in the room. also despite literally no weapon ever being able to do it, my shot takes you out in one hit, something FUCKING MOTHER BRAIN AND SA-X CAN'T EVEN DO."

Yeah man, same reason FF7 sucks. Not using a Phoenix Down on Aerith is dumb when you can use one on everyone else.
>>
>>15767572
Phoenix Down only revives downed/unconscious people, it doesn't resurrect them if they full on died.
>>
>>15767436

It's pretty obvious to tell who hasn't played Mother M, or any other non FPS Metroid games just by the arguments they parrot.

>muh Samus would kick Ridley's ass

She did in Other M too, watch more than a cutscene on YouTube

>Samus' suit isnt some magical girl bullshit mental thing that goes away when she loses conciousness!

Super Metroid disagrees with you. The only game that doesn't do it is Prime where they treat it like some Iron Man armor thing that shuts down, but Prime is American and doesnt count

>Samus shouldnt be taking orders from a MAN, Adam isnt her officer

Actually he is. Both in the past and also one of the requirements for Samus staykng on the ship was to follow his orders as part of his squad. Its established right in the first hour.

>>15763700
>Samus being meek in the manga was also ok, because she's young, inexperienced and acting on emotion. At Other M, she's suppose to be experienced and capable, that's why her emotional outbursts are seen as silly. She acts nothing like how Fusion presents her, despite Fusion taking place only a year after Other M.

It's almost like she grew up or something. She was 14 when she joined the GF. She was like 17 or 18 in Other M
>>
>>15767572
>>15767588
Or how in FFX when your part surrenders in a cutscene when they get guns pointed at them but can get shot in battle and not care

It's a game, chillax
>>
>>15767609
Doesn't Samus's helmet dematerialize in Prime 3 when she pukes up phazon after the first boss fight?
>>
>>15767611
Except even in cutscenes neither Mother Brain or SA-X managed to deactivate the armor when shooting at her with their full power
>>
File: Shinespark_S&J.png (524KB, 842x645px) Image search: [Google]
Shinespark_S&J.png
524KB, 842x645px
>>15767318
I didn't make any comment on the success or lack thereof of Episode of Aether. Just that the actual plot of it is a more enjoyable read than the backstory manga. If you're going to bring up alternative interpretations, I again point to the 4-koma Super Metroid manga I mentioned. I'd argue that it's a much more enjoyable read than the backstory manga due to how funny it is, airhead Samus makes me laugh a lot.

And honestly you seem to be trying to force a greater disconnect between the two main series than there is; I'd argue that Metroid Prime has more in common with Super Metroid than either does with Other M, especially in regards to the focus on exploration present in both of them. Story was never a large element to the Metroid games, and what storytelling existed was in the manual or delivered through very brief bits in the games. The big draw to Metroid is the reason we have "Metroidvania" as a descriptor for a number of games. It's the focus on exploring, collecting hidden weapons and upgrades, blasting away enemies (especially those that troubled you previously), and trying to figure out secrets or sequence breaks that is the series staple. Samus in a bikini or Zero Suit at the end is just a bonus to that.

But seriously, go read Samus and Joey.
>>
>>15767609
>Super Metroid disagrees with you
Care to explain how? Because running out of energy and the armor literally exploding is quite different from what happened in Other M.

Its also funny how you completely ignore Fusion where her armor didn't go away when she lost conciousness, instead she kept it on her body and ended up allowing the X to infect it
>>
>>15767609
>It's almost like she grew up or something. She was 14 when she joined the GF. She was like 17 or 18 in Other M
What are you even trying to imply here? Fusion happens a year or so after Other M, the flashbacks are from quite some time before and where the fuck did you pull that 17 or 18 number?
>>
File: momart49-young-samus.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
momart49-young-samus.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>15767650
>where the fuck did you pull that 17 or 18 number?
His ass.

>Samus' age has never been revealed, with the Japanese Prime site even stating that her age is unknown. Other M concept art reveals that in her early years of around the time of the K-2L attack, that she is "4-6 years old," contradicting early media saying it happened when she was three, and in her Federation military period, she is "15-17 years old."
>>
File: momart89-child-samus.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
momart89-child-samus.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>15767657
>>
>>15767609
>She did in Other M too, watch more than a cutscene on YouTube

No, she didn't. She fought it in a younger form and it got away, she fought it as Ridley and after it beat her around a bit in a cutscene you get to fight it... and it gets away again. And then later you find its corpse because something fucking else killed it.

>Super Metroid disagrees with you. The only game that doesn't do it is Prime where they treat it like some Iron Man armor thing that shuts down, but Prime is American and doesnt count

That doesn't change that it should have stopped a single bullet from a single gun. It has stopped far worse, and in games that aren't 2. Her getting knocked out from that is dumb. Her losing the suit afterwards, eh, whatever, but it shouldn't have gotten to that point.

>Actually he is. Both in the past and also one of the requirements for Samus staykng on the ship was to follow his orders as part of his squad. Its established right in the first hour.

...no? She was an independent operative in the area. The distress call wasn't to the Federation, it was to everyone. Her being in the area should not have been disrupting anything official because there shouldn't have been anything more official than "check the area out" going on.

In fact, he never authorizes her to stay, she just does. She then decides, after using her missiles on something, to just stop using all of her equipment until authorized at various points by a person who literally let her run through an area of the ship which was MOSTLY FUCKING MAGMA without her goddamn Varia Suit, because...? I dunno. In fact, it's been a while, but before he authorizes missile use, did she ever say that she was going to stop using things unless he said so? I know he did eventually say something like that, but that was AFTER the first boss, which is where you're allowed to use missiles. Also, outside of Power Bombs and maybe one or two of her bigger weapons, why restrict her anyway?
>>
File: oh-the-ironing.jpg (19KB, 425x271px) Image search: [Google]
oh-the-ironing.jpg
19KB, 425x271px
>>15767609
>It's pretty obvious to tell who hasn't played Mother M, or any other non FPS Metroid games just by the arguments they parrot.
>>
File: SuperMetroidIntroduction.png (5KB, 255x160px) Image search: [Google]
SuperMetroidIntroduction.png
5KB, 255x160px
>>15767657
>Samus
>Small
This scientist must be a fucking hobbit.
>>
>>15767674
>in games that aren't 2

The Primes, rather.

That said, though, the whole "Adam was my father figure" shit DOES directly decanonize things from the goddamn games. Like that one Chozo you see in Zero Mission with the young Samus, who the hell was he if Adam was her father figure?
>>
>>15767674
>authorized at various points by a person who literally let her run through an area of the ship which was MOSTLY FUCKING MAGMA without her goddamn Varia Suit, because...? I dunno.
The funny and even more stupid part is how she simply start unlocking powers on her on from that point on with no fanfare
>>
>>15767674
>And then later you find its corpse because something fucking else killed it.
I will never NOT be mad at this. Adam makes a big deal of how dangerous Ridley is. Adam goes off to sacrifice himself so Samus can stop Ridley. Samus runs off to stop Ridley.

Then you find his fucking corpse.
>>
>>15767638
Yes.
And her armor also sort of teleport's on in the intro as she is in her ship in the third game's intro.
>>
>>15767681
Oh yeah, that was great.

"I'm authorizing this, any objections, person who I'm pretty sure isn't on the other side of the line? No? Good."

Only thing is, to get to that point, you have to sit through the whole game of Samus having to get authorization to use BASIC SUIT FUNCTIONS. Like, for serious, the hell was the Varia Suit going to do that was so bad? Or the Grapple Beam? Or anything else? The Power Bombs I get, that makes sense and you get a good explanation for those, but most of the smaller stuff...

On that note, can't forget that you literally can't kill the final boss unless you remember how to use a Power Bomb from the first few minutes of gameplay and never afterwards and magically know to use one at the end because the game doesn't fucking tell you it's been unlocked.
>>
File: Phantoonghost.jpg (979KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Phantoonghost.jpg
979KB, 1920x1080px
>>15767692
Both the Queen Metroid and MB were shitshows of final bosses, the Metroid because I think they just a simple message about you unlocking your power bombs and expecting you to remember that one single time you used in the fucking prologue and then there is MB that is a literal clusterfuck, first time I defeated her I didn't even know what the fuck I actually did since I just kep countering and recovering energy while trying to kill the insects.

It speaks for the game when Phantoon who is aparently a bonus boss is a more interesting and fun finall boss, that you can't fucking fight on hard mode for some stupid reason, his design is also pretty interesting
>>
File: Gravity_Suit_Art.gif (53KB, 240x414px) Image search: [Google]
Gravity_Suit_Art.gif
53KB, 240x414px
>Morisawa: At first it's yellow, then the typical orange, then finally it becomes the Gravity Suit, so that Samus is purple. That is Nintendo's official specification, so naturally we started making the final Power Suit in purple. Towards the end of the game, however, there are some serious dramatic scenes. As Sakamoto-san was watching one of these cinematics, where Samus appeared in purple, he said "why is Samus wearing purple?"

>Iwata: He said that, even though it had been the specification from the very beginning! (laughs)

>Morisawa: Yes! (laughs) So I told him 'she's wearing the Gravity Suit, that's why she's purple'. His response, however, was 'but it looks strange to have this purple person popping up during such a serious conversation'. It would then become an exchange along the lines of me saying 'But this is the specification!' and him responding 'No, no, definitely strange'.

>Iwata: Ha ha! (laughs)

>Gravity Feature Nightmare Cyrosphere HD
Samus uses her Gravity Feature in her second battle with the Nightmare.

>Morisawa: So we'd consult Kitaura-san as well, but he'd also say 'yes, purple really is strange'. All I could think was 'Huh?! So what should we do now?' These kinds of specifications had been there from the very beginning, from before my time, but they'd just say 'No, we definitely want Samus in orange here'. I just groaned and put my head in my hands.
>>
File: 5d4.jpg (24KB, 600x835px) Image search: [Google]
5d4.jpg
24KB, 600x835px
>>15767702
I wonder if Sakamato being involved with Metroid this time is just then using his name while more competent people actually tell the devs what to do because from interviews it look like they received decent orders with Sakamoto coming later and fucking shit up by being a retard
>>
File: I feel scared and disgusted.jpg (51KB, 624x464px) Image search: [Google]
I feel scared and disgusted.jpg
51KB, 624x464px
>>15767702
>>
Remember aspiring sci-fi writers, say NO to women being important in your story.
>>
File: Lina_uniform.jpg (164KB, 607x900px) Image search: [Google]
Lina_uniform.jpg
164KB, 607x900px
>>15767722
I've got bad news for you then. You don't want to know what the next Gundam series will feature.
>>
>>15767727
They bring nothing good to the table. Space and high adventure in space has no place for women.
>>
>>15767442
>>15767722
>>15767734
Ripley fucking ruined Aliens. Worst part of the movie. Dumb bitch.
>>
>>15767727
...Is that Lina Inverse?
>>
>>15767727
What doujin is that from?

>>15767722
>>15767734
ok wufei
>>
>>15767747
Think about it instead of kneejerking like a bitch you worship so dearly
All the great science fiction authors didn't have women in it, or at least, in any great role, and their works are celebrated today
Modern 'science fiction' authors, are all hacks, and feature women heavily, and are forgotten in like an week after release.
>>
File: Chang.Wufei.full.50500.jpg (192KB, 1024x700px) Image search: [Google]
Chang.Wufei.full.50500.jpg
192KB, 1024x700px
>>15767756
Wufei you're like the second girliest of the Gundam boys. Cool your tits.
>>
>>15767756
The central protagonist of I, Robot is a woman.

Eat shit
>>
Reminder that Other M's Adam contradicts what Samus said about him in Fusion.

>That computer reminds me of a gruff Federation CO I served under named Adam Malkovich. He called me "Lady" on missions; from anyone else, it would've sounded sarcastic, but Adam made it sound dignified.

>Samus: As I listened to the briefing, my thoughts turned to Adam. The real Adam understood me well. He would end orders by saying, "Any objections, Lady?" He knew I wouldn't disagree. That was just his way of noting our trust. I wonder if I can trust this computer, too...

>Samus: The real Adam would have said the same thing about that incident, but he would have softened the blow. He was relentless in his criticism, but he always cared... He was not a machine obsessed with duty. No such compassion could exist in that computer...
>>
>>15767766
>>15767897
Don't bother responding, he has been on Metroid thread since beginning of the year talking about how the fact that Samus is a girl is what ruined Metroid and going on /r9k/ tier rants
>>
>>15763458
But Fusion is objectively the best
>>
>>15768221
If Samus was a man, it wouldn't have gained either the eyerolling Prime series, or Other M.
>>
>>15768012
Sasuga, Sakamoto.
>>
>>15768012
Man, Other M could have been so much better. Why did they have to screw up the story so much. Anthony Higgs was the only good thing about it.
>>
>>15770456
Anthony Higgs is closer to how Samus described Adam in Fusion than Adam is.
>>
Daily reminder that Prime 3 was going to have actual bounty hunting, then Nintendo shot down the idea.
>>
>>15768012

The best part is that Fusion Adam outright takes a shit on Other M Adam.

>AI Adam: Did this "Adam" care for you? Would he sit in a safe Command Room and order you to die?

...Which is exactly what Other M Adam did.
>>
>>15767572
Will someone remind me why 7 is good again?
>>
>>15767657
>Small
Isn't she like 6 feet thanks to Chozo genetic engineering?
>>
>>15778837
6 feet comes from 90s Nintendo Power, which people never took seriously for stuff like Zelda (NOA material insisted on "there's only a single Link" up until Wind Waker was released and that became completely impossible), so I don't see why people think it'd be valid for Metroid.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.