[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Slaine considered a well-written character? His motivations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16

File: slayne troyard.jpg (33KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
slayne troyard.jpg
33KB, 500x281px
Why is Slaine considered a well-written character? His motivations don't make any sense.
>>
>>15758192
I think every man on this board can understand a man who's sole motivation is "muh waifu".
>>
>>15758192
Since when did we use the phrase 'well-written' when talking about Aldnoah Zero?
>>
>>15758213
Since OP wanted to start a thread about the show he just watched like some kind of a faggot
>>
File: mediocre bait.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mediocre bait.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>15758192
>Slaine considered a well-written character

Nobody says this.
>>
The only reason people rooted for Slaine at all was to see Inaho lose. Too bad Inaho was invincible and still somehow a better character than Slaine
>>
>>15758192
He's not well written, it' just the only AZ character to have a minimum of personality, intending as personal tastes, goals and phobias. But it was really nothing to boast about.
>>
>>15758228
Egg Snake at least was entertaining with his autism
Between him and the Savior autist in Aquarion Logos, it was the year of autistic mecha MCs
>>
>>15758206
>I think every man on this board can understand a man who's sole motivation is "muh waifu".

This, Slaine is Char taken to it its logical conclusion.
>>
>>15758296
Never watching Aquarion again couldn't finish Evol.

No Inaho managed to be worse even with Slaine spending half his screen time talking about birds and flowers.
>>
>>15758192
>Why is Slaine considered a well-written character?
No one has every said that ever in any fashion. I was a slaine apologist and still believe he got fucked in the end but yeah he's shit and so is the whole anime.
>>
>>15758753
>Inaho managed to be worse
How is Inaho worse? He's a generic emotionless genius MC, but that doesn't mean he's a bad character, unless you take into account asspulls like all the electronic eye bullshit.
Slaine is inconsistent all around.
>>15758847
and so is the whole anime
The first season was pretty good, even though it had some fuck ups that would be easily ignorable if S2 wasn't absolute shite.
>>
File: 1433979113625.jpg (133KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1433979113625.jpg
133KB, 1920x1080px
He's the best written cuckold by a mile.
I believe pic is on exhibit at the Louvre.
>>
I laughed when egg shot him down and said "you are now my enemy..." leaving slaine to get tortured and raped by sausebum. Comedy was A1.
>>
>>15758192

I think Slaine was a bit of a moron, putting the Princess on a pedestal like that, but he was the only guy in the show with a compelling motivation.

S2 would have been a lot better if Inaho and the Princess died in that big shootout, and Slaine was the only guy surviving. It would've been like the original MSG novels, where Amuro dies and things go off the rails all the way to the end.
>>
>>15759013
>not 5 minutes ago was instrumental in helping to defeat a powerful enemy
>shoots his ass down and leaves him in the drink
Now I get it overturned the trope of an instant teamup but I expected that he would've been taken prisoner by them to get more information, not left behind.
>>
>>15759024
>he was the only guy in the show with a compelling motivation
Trying to survive a war isn't compelling enough?
>>15759045
That part didn't make any sense and it only served the purpose of creating a conflict between Inaho and Slaine, probably to set up the final scene of S1. Realistically someone as rational as Inaho would have at least taken him prisoner to find out why Versians were fighting each other. He had no reason to label him an enemy so quickly.
>>
>>15758296
>Egg Snake at least was entertaining with his autism
Nope, in fact everything involving the Earth side was really fucking shitty
>>15758938
Generic implies he has some type of character but he doesn't he's just a waste of space and it was obvious that the writers have no idea what the fuck they wanted to do with him.

>Slaine is inconsistent all around.
His character arc is the most consistent thing about this show, you'd have to be a fucking idiot to have trouble getting it
>>
>>15759289
>Trying to survive a war isn't compelling enough?
No. The reason why you care about Amuro and teh crew of the White Base is that you understand why they need to survive and their trials and tribulations throughout the OYW, since nobody on the Earth side gets any focus there's no reason to give a shit.
>>
>go to mars for a weekend
>all of a sudden you're totally different than those SHITTY earther losers and basically gods among men
10/10 writing.
>>
>>15759344
Explain how this is any less stupid than the spacenoid supremacy horseshit in Gundam.
>>
File: 1473954513707.png (158KB, 375x505px) Image search: [Google]
1473954513707.png
158KB, 375x505px
>>15759349
The spacenoids started the conflict because they weren't represented in the government or independence and the federation cut them loose but refused to trade with them effectively killing any chance of surviving long term.
Spacenoid supremacy was just propaganda to gain popular support enriched by a cult of personality around Zeon.
>>
>>15758938
Eh Slaine's plot was one traumatic event after another and he was active during the time skip he didn't need to be that consistent.

Also the guy was always kind of brutal in his own way he was murdering and torturing in s1.

However everything going back to muh princess was pretty unbearable and his changes in actions were pretty jarring.
>>
>>15759367
Pretty similar to a.z to be honest. Replace Zeon with whatever his name was and newtypes with aldnoah power.

It doesn't feel as contrived in UC though because the colonies felt more established although to be honest I don't know the timeline.
>>
I read the side story manga and the prequel short story. A/Z is the definition of pure shit. In-a-hoe is revealed to truly be Autistic in the prequel.
>>
>>15759727
>>15759727
>I read the side story manga and the prequel short story
Why?
>>
File: 1501283764817.jpg (42KB, 976x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501283764817.jpg
42KB, 976x720px
>>15759590
>Pretty similar to a.z to be honest.
Nope. Zeon wanted to establish their own independence from the Earth Sphere and the OYW was used as a vehicle for their beliefs. The Martians essentially wanted to take over Earth after abandoning it years prior because they had exhausted their own resources and the war essentially came about due to the dementia of its leader believing his son had died to enemy hands so the entire war was a farce to begin with, its main conspirator was just taking advantage of the stupidity of his own side to carry out his own mission. The OYW was always going to happen due to the rising tension of both side and the extreme radical beliefs of spacenoids while the conflict for A/Z happened because once side was just butthurt.
>>
Slaine did nothing wrong
>>
>>15758192
Nobody calls him a well written character, but he was miles better than anyone else in the anime.
>His motivations don't make any sense.
What didn't make any sense?

>>15758228
>Too bad Inaho was invincible and still somehow a better character than Slaine
I'll just copy this post I saw on /a/ the other day:
>a missile is coming
>that fucking hilarious lack of a reaction when his friend is screaming and dies in front of him
>you are my enemy
>instead of trying to survive and help my friends let's point a gun at this mindbroken guy
>I need to get shot because MUH HIME died and I knew her for a week
>survives bullet that penetrated his skull
>gets robot eye and suffers 0 consequences in the long run
>nothing can be done without him
>his robot eye starts speaking
>only bit of personality he had were the eggs
>>
File: xup4nlvhbts.jpg (296KB, 1024x746px) Image search: [Google]
xup4nlvhbts.jpg
296KB, 1024x746px
>>15759841
>The Martians essentially wanted to take over Earth after abandoning it years prior because they had exhausted their own resources and the war essentially came about due to the dementia of its leader believing his son had died to enemy hands so the entire war was a farce to begin with
>the conflict for A/Z happened because once side was just butthurt.
Congrats on being retarded.
https://archived.moe/m/thread/11093640/
>>
As someone who watches through another episode or two of AZ every once in a while for a bit of light popcorn entertainment I actually find myself more endeared towards Inaho than Slaine, probably because of my level of investment.

Inaho's side of the story is pretty much just mecha fights and that's all I'm really there for, and whenever things switch perspectives to Slaine I tune out a bit because I really couldn't give less of a shit about his political scheming, his moronic philosophy or whoever he's planning to backstab this week.

By all appearances Slaine seems an irritating little snot intent on a fucking stupid, ill conceived plan and is entirely self absorbed in his actions, whereas Inaho might be an autistic spaz, but he's got a job to do and he's committed to doing it, and while he lacks depth and is not a great character by any means I still kinda like him a bit.
>>
>>15758938
>Slaine is inconsistent all around.
I don't get it, do modern anime fans need to be spoonfed every thought of a character through internal monologue? His character development is consistent, just pay attention to it.

His insane loyalty towards the princess is because she's the only person who was nice to him in the past few years and he's a teenager that lost his family and is insulted and beaten on an almost daily basis. He tries talking to the emperor but gets branded a traitor, he tries approaching the UFE but Inaho brands him his enemy and he gets tortured by Cruhteo.At this point, he's completely alone and about to get killed, but Saazbaum reaches out to him and saves him, kindness which he didn't experience in years.

He still disagrees with Saazbaum and prioritizes the princess, that's why he goes to seek her out on his own again. A Versian soldier dies after saving him from the UFE even though he knew he's a terran. He hears Saaz screaming through his kataphrakt's communication and sees him fighting Inaho, but he doesn't know that the princess is in the battle. It's not hard to see why he would save Saazbaum, but they just so happen to crash in the exact room where the princess is. Saaz miraculously manages to get out of Dioscuria in complete silence and shoots the princess.

All of this leads to the way he thinks in season two and he also has to care about his actions because the other counts still hate him and would find a reason to kill him if he slips up.

>>15760225
That's your opinion based on personal taste which I shouldn't judge but
>As someone who watches through another episode or two of AZ every once in a while for a bit of light popcorn entertainment I actually find myself more endeared towards Inaho than Slaine, probably because of my level of investment.
Why the fuck would you do that to yourself if you're a fan of mecha? There are so many better anime, I feel disgusted, not even counting in your childish views.
>>
>>15759367
>and the federation cut them loose but refused to trade with them effectively killing any chance of surviving long term.

From what I gather, it were the colonies who were supporting Earth. They didn't build those things to die if you don't baby them and they don't seem to suffer any shortages of water, air, food or raw materials unless they start huge fucking wars. And even then, their air- and water-supply seemed absolutely not an issue.
>>
>>15760237
>Why the fuck would you do that to yourself if you're a fan of mecha?
Oh, chill out. The show certainly isn't good, but it's at least meh, I've seen worse. In answer to your question it's because sometimes you can't be bothered sparing the mental effort to invest yourself in a show, so you watch something that requires none, hence 'popcorn entertainment.
>not even counting in your childish views.
These being what? That I don't really care for Slaine? His having reasons to be a shit doesn't make him any less of a shit. Maybe if I was well into the series and its cast then maybe I would be super hooked on his tragic Shakespearean story or whatever the fuck, but since I'm not he just irritates me.
>>
>>15760225
>entirely self absorbed in his actions
You seem to be triggered really hard by him because this is making shit up.
He can't be self absorbed when he valued another person's life more than his own, listened to Saazbaum's motives and sympathised with him, wanted to change Vers for better even though they treated him horribly, and didn't want his own men to die pointlessly in the last episode so he sent them away. He is the opposite of self-absorbed.

Meanwhile Inaho annoyed the shit out of me because of all this >>15760157, the way he kept doing irrational things despite being the rational guy and the way he treated Inko and the rest of the crew. He never even gets yelled at seriously for his autism.
>>
>>15760273
>These being what? That I don't really care for Slaine?
That's some heavy assumption, I was just referring to the general tone of your post.
>rewatching a show you don't even like that much
Watch more mecha or get a better hobby
>>
>>15760275
>You seem to be triggered really hard by him
Hey, I'm not the one leaping furiously to his defence. I just find him dull and impossible to care much about.

>He can't be self absorbed
He's self absorbed because he's wrapped up in his own feelings and in this notion of being a hard man making hard choices, which leads to his being assured by his own actions even as he sees issue with them. Also, there was that whole thing with the princess.

>>15760281
>rewatching a show you don't even like that much
Watching for the first time, man. Of course I'm not rewatching it. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
Anyway, why did YOU watch it then if it's such a despicable affront? And why are you so invested in defending it if it's terrible? I watched an episode on a whim to try it out and if I watch any more of it it's being in the mood for something vaguely like that and the fact that I'm already familiar with it.

>Watch more mecha or get a better hobby
Or I could just continue to not take it as seriously as you do. I'm not looking to gain E-cred by watching everything under the sun in a specific category then acting condescending and superior to strangers on the internet by proclaiming their shit taste, I just want to have a good (or at least mildly entertaining) time. I know standard /m/ operating procedure is 'it's shit and you're shit for liking it (unless it predates the 21st century and isn't considered good by 'casuals', though in that case you're not shit for liking it, but you are still shit)', but hanging our here has actually convinced me to be less judgemental.
>>
>>15760338
>Hey, I'm not the one leaping furiously to his defence. I just find him dull and impossible to care much about.
Yet I find it very funny how bothered you got by an anon's shitpost to write all that out in the second part of your post.
>He's self absorbed because
You ignored everything I said and the examples I listed, maybe you should finish the anime first.
>he's wrapped up in his own feelings and in this notion of being a hard man making hard choices
When did this happen? He keeps taking action and moving forward instead of wailing how bad he has it in life.
>>
>>15760174
Congrats on proving my point you stupid bitch
>>
>>15760394
Thanks for proving my point by not even reading the timeline, no need to be so insulted.
>>
File: 1501716454433.gif (612KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
1501716454433.gif
612KB, 500x341px
>>15760398
>timeline states specifically that the Martians left Earth then where the War commences because they had exhausted their own resources
>this is proving your point despite the fact that it was exactly what I said
Okay. Even in that fucking link people point out of much of a clusterfuck the show's timeline is so you using that as a defense for anything (which ultimately proves that the conflict between UC and whatever the fuck in A/Z aren't even alike) so why are you still arguing?
>>
>>15760416
Where did I say that the timeline isn't a clusterfuck? I am not the first person you responded to, I just jumped in to link the info. I wanted to prove that what you said in your post and what's greentexted here >>15760174 is incorrect, and it is. To begin with, if you watched the anime you'd know that the Emperor's son died at the end of the second interplanetary war.
>>
>>15759344
Think about it, Mars was just another attempt at the Juche experiment.

They're Space North Koreans with ancient alien superscience to provide the bare minimum evidence of divine mandate.
>>
>>15760157
Why does mecha anime have such god awful writing?
>>
>>15760431
>I wanted to prove that what you said in your post and what's greentexted here >>15760174 is incorrect
Except nothing he posted was wrong, the very fact that you're going behind the timeline WHEN YOU KNOW IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE for no fucking reason makes you look like a jackass really.
>>
File: 1498480002391.jpg (221KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1498480002391.jpg
221KB, 1920x1080px
>>15760431
If you know its a clusterfuck then why are you posting it? The very fact that people in the link are pointing out the inconsistency of it just makes your actions more incomprehensible and no the show blatantly states that the reason why the world continued was because the Emperor was out of it and Saaz exploiting it, they were never fighting for independence. Really I just think its more pathetic that you cared so much.
>>
>>15760545
>>15760550
You don't have to samefag, buddy.
>the war essentially came about due to the dementia of its leader believing his son had died to enemy hands so the entire war was a farce to begin with
>it says in the anime this didn't happen
>post timeline that says this didn't happen
>hurr, everything I said was right
>>
File: samefag fail.jpg (108KB, 510x1499px) Image search: [Google]
samefag fail.jpg
108KB, 510x1499px
>>15760552
You just keep making yourself look bad
>>
>>15760552
>it says in the anime this didn't happen
It did. S1 Ep. 9 during Saaz conversation with Slaine and gain in S2 Ep. 11 when it reveals that the Emperor had dementia
>post timeline that says this didn't happen
It literally fucking does. The timeline is also missing shit and contradicts itself the very fact that you're still pushing it when the link has people calling out has bullshit it is means you're grasping for straws

You don;t always have to be right on the internet kid but apparently A/Z is your favorite anime
>>
File: 1498473092478.jpg (55KB, 568x533px) Image search: [Google]
1498473092478.jpg
55KB, 568x533px
>>15760562
That would be better applied to yourself, because this obvious display of stupidity being shared by 2 people would be very disappointing.
It doesn't matter if you think the actions of the people in the timeline are irrational, because it's the canon for this series. It says here >>15760174, black on white, that it didn't happen because "one side was butthurt" and that there was a series of events which led to the war.

>>15760574
He had dementia but his son died at the end of the 2nd interplanetary war you imbecile, the topic was the start of the first war and the conflict as a whole.
>The timeline is also missing shit and contradicts itself
Please point out where it contradicts itself, in case you are unable to read- the red notes are corrections by Rayet's dad because the timeline is censored, and all of this info is true for the story of this anime.

Don't worry, it's enough for me to know that in your heart you're aware of how you fucked up and that you were proven wrong with facts several times in this thread.
>>
File: 1499941252070.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1499941252070.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>15760602
>The "canon" of the series blatantly contradict itself as pointed out by several people who translate it in the link you provided
>We have to follow it because I say so
>>
>>15760602
>the topic was the start of the first war and the conflict as a who
No it wasn't you dumb fuck it was about the events that happen IN SHOW by that logic why didn't everyone use the conflicts that happen before the OYW came to be the actions of yje first interplanetary war and the second are entirely different.

>He had dementia but his son died at the end of the 2nd interplanetary war
You do realize that the reason why the war continued was because he didn't realized that his son had died years prior right?
>Please point out where it contradicts itself
IN THE VERY FUCKING LINK YOU PROVIDED PEOPLE POINT OUT THE CONTRADICTIONS! DID YOU EVEN READ WHAT YOU POSTED OR ARE YOU THAT ASSPAINED OVER SOMEONE POINTING OUT WHAT A DUMBASS YOU ARE FOR DEFENDING THIS SHOW IN ORDER TO NOT LOOK DUMB ON THE INTERNET
>>
>>15760607
Again, in case you are too braindead to read, the person who did these promotional materials thought it would be a cute idea to present the timeline as a censored version by the UFE and then have corrections from a Vers terrorist. Even if you ignore those, the basic timeline tells you about all the incidents that sparked the fire.

Did you fall that low that you deny the canon approved material? We aren't here to discuss your headcanon.
>>
File: laughingsunrise.jpg (98KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
laughingsunrise.jpg
98KB, 500x382px
>>15760615
>he is this upset about being wrong
>>
File: 1499922169332.png (992KB, 1200x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1499922169332.png
992KB, 1200x1080px
>>15760616
>Its suppose to be inaccurate and wrong
>its propaganda! Except not really
>>
>>15760615
>You do realize that the reason why the war continued was because he didn't realized that his son had died years prior right?
Where? In your fanfic? The episode says nothing about this, the guidebooks say nothing about this.
>>
>>15760616
>>15760619
So you knowingly posted wrong infomation was passing it off as fact. Guess that makes more sense than what you've been doing all this time
>>
>>15760630
It really is hilarious how much you are about this shit.
>>
>>15760630
>I didn't watch the show
>>
>>15760633
The basic timeline tells you there were several incidents which escalated the conflict and it's up on the anime's website.

>>15760639
>>15760645
Go ahead, post the screenshot. Tell us the exact moment.
>>
>>15759841
One year war happened because Zeon was butthurt
>>
>>15760866
Well no but nice try though
>>
File: Laplace's_Box1.jpg (67KB, 1172x668px) Image search: [Google]
Laplace's_Box1.jpg
67KB, 1172x668px
>>15760866
It happened because Feds didn't read the fine print
>>
>>15759367
So you're saying Zeon wasn't butthurt?

They seemed extremely butthurt.
>>
>>15760875
Or they did and figured that everyone would forget about it.
>>
>>15760875
lol stupid plot box made me hate Unicorn.
>>
>>15760237
>It's not hard to see why he would save Saazbaum
Actually, it is. He knew Saazbaum was behind the war AND that he was there specifically to kill the princess. From his point of view he was his real enemy, not someone to be saved.
The writers probably thought Saazbaum showing "kindness" to Slaine and one dead no-name were enough to justify his future actions, but I'm not buying this even for a second. Of course Saazbaum allowing Slaine to roam free and armed in the first place didn't make any sense either.
>>15759331
See above.
>>
>>15761771
>From his point of view he was his real enemy, not someone to be saved.
You do realize your argument is null and void because he killed Saaz in the second season right?
>>
In-a-hoe is still the best name in the series.
>>
>>15761789
>he killed Saaz in the second season right?
Well, that doesn't retroactively cancel his previous bullshit.
>>
>>15761771
>Didn't trust the Earth Federation or rather couldn't trust them at all
>The only person that could save both of them was the person with access to that sort of technology none other than Saaz
>He was planning to kill him anyways
I don't see what you're complaining about
>From his point of view he was his real enemy, not someone to be saved.
From his point of view he had no reason to trust anyone it was "the enemy of my enemy is my friend scenario because if Slaine had stayed he would have just been detained by the Earth Feds and his precious Hime is left to die by teaming up with Saaz he left alive with his Hime
>>
>>15761803
I was actually talking about the time when he saved Saaz from Inaho in S1, before the final scene.
>>
>>15761819
Oh that...yeah that was dumb its another moment like Inaho shooting him down for no reason where it just exists for the sake of conflict
>>
>>15761847
Inaho was kind of a dick, but not enough of one to be interesting.
>>
>>15761771
You're an Inaho tier autist if you lack the empathy to see why an abused kid would be easy to influence and manipulate. Saaz is the first person in years who treats him like his equal and tells him he was friends with his dad who was important to Slaine,then proceeds to tell him how he lost things important to him. All those things stack up.

Not only that, if he kills Saazbaum or lets him get killed, he has no help from the Vers empire because he's still a traitor to them. It was his bad luck they crashed right in the room where the princess was.

It's a split second decision, and there's also the satisfaction of not letting the guy that left you sinking in the ocean and called you his enemy after you saved him have what he wants. He was just freshly tortured to near death because of that and Saaz saved him, he felt indebted to him, it's not fucking hard to understand.

Inaho makes much less sense because an episode after "you are my enemy", he says Rayet is perfectly fine because she fought with them so she's forgiven for being with the terrorists who started this whole war. Not to mention all of his other inconsistencies people named in this thread.
>>
>>15762980
Empathy isn't even necessary to understand why he did it, but people who dislike a character will never be convinced because you can always say
>well, I would have done it so much better in that situation
to anything.
>>
Slaine is the best.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.