[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why are super robots so much better than piloted military style

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: super_robot.jpg (71KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
super_robot.jpg
71KB, 600x426px
why are super robots so much better than piloted military style mechs?

it's the superior subgenre with superior heros
>>
File: I hate this.jpg (38KB, 409x406px) Image search: [Google]
I hate this.jpg
38KB, 409x406px
>>15756251
>>
It is the capeshit of mecha
>>
>>15756320
>liking militarized groups of mecha with a moody antisocial protagonist, token girl pilot, grizzled general, etc

I'm sorry you're an edgy teen that was too weak for the army
>>
>>15756371
You just described Getter Robo
>>
How do you prefer your toast, /m/?
>>
I'll avoid the bait, and instead ask a different question.

Why do real type fans on /m/ behave so remarkedly different from super fans?

I'll go with the obvious. Even though there seems to be be a fuck ton of people on /m/ who hate mazinger, and Go Nagai, no one claims Mazinger isn't a super robot, or the originator over their subgenre. But with real type fans, they constantly claim that Gundam is a super robot, and votoms and dougram more accurately represent the genre.

Is it just because there are so many more real type fans on /m/, their complaints are more visible?
>>
>>15756586
It's because the types you speak of are infested with /k/fags with a stick up their ass over "realism," newfags fresh off the boat from TvTropes who insist on finding the most proper name for everything, and other newfags that are seemingly unaware that nearly all mecha shows are children's cartoons, and thus aim to only view the "mature, serious ones." I would wager that the average member of all of these groups have never watched any non-Gundam 70s show, or indeed, any show that commonly gets the "super robot" label at all. I would reckon that at least a quarter of these people have not even watched a show that isn't a Gundam show.

On the other hand, those who are at peace with the idea that they might view something that could be seen as childish, immature, idealistic and/or fantastical typically have a more well-rounded view of what mecha is like and are less likely to care about what labels to give what. I myself actively argue against labels with mecha because they tend to be too broad to mean anything and often give off false impressions. Each show should be enjoyed (or scorned) for what it is without having to worry what box to put it in
>>
>>15756251
The best is when Super Robots are also military robots like in Getter Robo Go
>>
>>15756673
I wish that sort of line blurring happened more often. It's one of the more rad things that manga has going for it.
>>
>>15756251
"Super" isn't any sort of genre. Newfags are under the impression that anything that isn't Gundam is Voltron. No, that's simply not true.

"Real robot" exclusively refers to mecha series with a focus on military themes. This is a VERY SMALL subset of mecha. That means when someone says "Super", they are literally referring to any robot series that doesn't focus on military drama like Gundam does. It has nothing to do with the tone of a series, the realism of a series, the power levels of robots, the inclusion of exclusion of magic or any of that shit. It simply refers to one thing: is this mecha series military drama or not?

tl;dr fuck off newfags
>>
>>15756445
Sourdough, toasted at a 6, lightly buttered
>>
>>15757320
VOTOMS doesn't focus on military drama at all, yet you'll never see anyone call it anything but "real robot". Same with Patlabor, Gasaraki, pretty much every Macross following SDF and I think Xabungle as well

On the other hand, Dancouga is absolutely a military drama and is never called "real robot."

This is why labels are stupid. Genres are stupid. Mecha isn't even a genre to begin with. Since no one is able to decide what any of these terms actually mean, there is no point in using them.
>>
File: ビーエフジー.jpg (50KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ビーエフジー.jpg
50KB, 640x360px
>>15758285
>Since no one is able to decide what any of these terms actually mean

The originators of the terms were.
Real robots are fast but weak.
Super robots are slow, but powerful.

There's a certain beauty to such a simple distinction.
>>
File: 1484877270544.png (373KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484877270544.png
373KB, 720x480px
>>15758285
>VOTOMS doesn't focus on military drama at all

>soldier of a intergalactic war escapes torture and escapes to a planet
>he discovers a secret military plot involving super soldiers when the planet is then assaulted by a military force
>he escapes and becomes a war mercenary on another planet but then digs deeper into the plot of super soldiers and discovers a dissident group within the military
>he escapes with the super soldiers but various military factions are after him
>he eventually goes into stasis to escape war

>VOTOMS doesn't focus on military drama at all
>>
>>15758311
>First episode: war ends
>First arc: Chirico investigates a city to discover a secret society planning to manufacture genetically engineered super soldiers in service of an all-powerful supercomputer
>Second arc: he escapes this secret society's assault on him and joins a mercenary group on another planet to continue investigating the secret society, using the ongoing civil war as a cover for his presence
>Third arc: he wanders around a desert planet looking for jijirium
>Fourth arc: He finally discovers the supercomputer pulling the strings of this secret society and its plan to make him a god only to turn it all against them

It's more like an illuminati drama. It most certainly is not the conventional military drama that focuses on the conflicting ideologies of the opposing sides and the struggle of those on the front lines.
>>
>>15758328
I would still argue it does that better than the average Gundam.
>>
>>15758301
t. /srwg/

Dougram or the RX-78-2 were anything but weak - they had had plot armor out the ass and were damn near invincible at times. Meanwhile Great Mazinger is critically damaged to the point that it's temporarily out of commission a dozen times as the stakes are raised in its series.

Defining things by "military machine" or "hero machine" is garbage. Even the "well are things like ammunition and fuel taken into account" is a shitty way to define things when both Mazinger Z and Getter Robo in the Toei series runs out of both many times.
>>
File: 1247530313099.jpg (654KB, 1731x1232px) Image search: [Google]
1247530313099.jpg
654KB, 1731x1232px
>>15758328
>>First arc: Chirico investigates a city to discover a secret society planning to manufacture genetically engineered super soldiers in service of an all-powerful supercomputer
Which is all military related and operated.
>Second arc: he escapes this secret society's assault on him and joins a mercenary group on another planet to continue investigating the secret society, using the ongoing civil war as a cover for his presence
That's about as military as you can get.
>Third arc: he wanders around a desert planet looking for jijirium
While dealing with the mental repercussions of his time as a soldier and fighting off the secret society's soldiers.
>Fourth arc: He finally discovers the supercomputer pulling the strings of this secret society and its plan to make him a god only to turn it all against them
There's like three or more military factions at play here.

It's a military drama no matter how you try to spin it.
>>
>>15758344
It's really not. I'd argue it's much closer to spy fiction. If it were a military drama, it'd be more focused on one central war instead of a guy digging around for information in various places around the galaxy. The only thing it's missing is Chirico being a member of the M16 or whatever.
>>
>>15758330
>I would still argue it does that better than the average Gundam.

VOTOMS shows the saga of a man in a post-war world. His family gone, lots of people know only how to kill and still have deep hatreds all around. The atmosphere is tense.
The guy who made it formed it after his experience of childhood in post-WW2 Japan, having lost his father in the war and having to trudge through life alone.

Gundam is about a different topic entirely. Gundam goes to lengths to show the war as a horrible thing that breaks families, kills your friends, influences everyone from men to women and children. The original show having their home destroyed, having many neutral people die during a Zeek assault, people going at lengths about how horrible it is such young people have to face the horrors of war, Amuro friend's parents being killed as well.

It's why War in the Pocket is one of the best Gundam shows out there. Direct and to the point, war is bad kids, be happy you don't have to be the ones sent on a suicide mission and have your friends murdered.
>>
>>15758335
>t. /srwg/

I'm not saying the term should b applied to robot anime, merely that it's raped beyond recognition. It was used to describe the units at a glance, nothing more.
>>
>>15758354
>If it were a military drama, it'd be more focused on one central war
Not really. Your narrow definition isn't accurate or widely subscribed to. You can keep splitting hairs as much as you want, but this is K.O.
>>
>>15758428
And this only proves my point that our disagreement over this matter shows that it is useless to apply labels to things, especially if we are to apply them as broadly as you wish to, for then they are deprived of any meaning.

Regardless, this conversation is completely insubstantial because we are not discussing the show itself, we are discussing what other shows it is similar to. And what is even the use of that? Why does it matter? Who even cares?

If you cannot see the folly of discussions like this, then you have likely lost sight of what it means to actually enjoy a show and only look for things you like that you have seen elsewhere instead of appreciating it as a whole on its own terms.
>>
>>15756445
With any slice of bread that I happened to buy on Sunday. Or I guess toasted by the Turn A Gundam. Damn, I need to find that post.
>>
>>15756382
>ryoma having any mood other than edge
>girl pilot
>grizzled general
no
>>
>Gundams get power-ups from dead friend magical Jedi souls
>not super robot
>>
>>15758335
Thats true, but from said series (or Mangas in this case) you can tell that RX 78 would not stand a chance in a one on one duel against Z. I mean Mazinger can pick and throw away Ashura's Saluud base with xtreme ease.
>>
>>15758598
>you can tell that RX 78 would not stand a chance in a one on one duel against Z

I disagree. RX78 is a lot more agile and has better melee. It comes down to whether or not RX78 can damage Super Alloy Z or not. If so, then it has a fair shot.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.