[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of you gentle/m/en know of a series that have an literary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

File: Bellcross.jpg (128KB, 821x917px) Image search: [Google]
Bellcross.jpg
128KB, 821x917px
Do any of you gentle/m/en know of a series that have an literary epic or mythic feel to it?. Recalling the ridiculous battles of bellcross in Heroic Age has me really wanting something of similar scope.
>>
The Vision of Escaflowne
>>
File: EKwogwS.jpg (565KB, 1238x1419px) Image search: [Google]
EKwogwS.jpg
565KB, 1238x1419px
Five Star Stories.
>>
>>15755513
I've regrettably already seen Escaflowne, got anything else? Might pick up the FSS movie though like >>15755516 suggests, already read a few volumes anyway.
>>
File: 1488483671024.png (3MB, 1920x1201px) Image search: [Google]
1488483671024.png
3MB, 1920x1201px
>>15755497
Teggen toppa GUUUURRAN LAGANNN
>>
>>15755497
Legend of Galactic Heroes and Tytania.

Diebuster/Gunbuster, I guess.

RahXephon.
>>
File: 1494122203001.jpg (1MB, 744x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1494122203001.jpg
1MB, 744x1052px
>>15755497
Ideon, it has genuine Lovecraftian feel in it. Too bad the best part of the series is the movie, Be Invoked. So you have to sit your way through 39 episodes of robot fisticuffs.

Also Bokurano. It's probably the most depressing /m/echa show ever, but the manga is better.
>>
File: Ideon_poster.jpg (137KB, 1060x1507px) Image search: [Google]
Ideon_poster.jpg
137KB, 1060x1507px
>>15755888
Not OP. I really wanted to like Densetsu Kyojin Ideon, but it felt a little too dry and slow in places. Which is a shame because there was a lot of stuff and concepts in it that I really liked. Also, Ideon might just be my all-time favorite super robot.
>>
>>15755497
Getter Robo Saga
Demonbane
Muv-Luv Unlimited+Alt
Giant Robo
>>
>>15755497
Neon Genesis Evangelion. One of the deepest and most epic animes of all time. If it was a book it would be a literature classic.
>>
>>15755888
>Lovecraftian
I hate that word. And everyone who uses it sounds pretentious as fuck.
>>
>>15755917
>Muv Luv
Fuck off. Teenage angst with a harem is not "epic". It doesn't even have NGE's courtesy of having a literally apocalyptic threat
>>
>>15755913
Yeah, but all of those buildups were paid by Be Invoked. I don't think that you can simply watch the recap movie and expect the same experience when you watch Be Invoked.

>>15755979
Me? Pretentious?
*sip my cup of Starbucks furiously while listening to Bach confidently*
Your slanderous notion is preposterously attributed to moi.
>>
>>15755979
I agree it's a term that gets overused, lately, but I feel it works in this context. Ideon has some far-out cosmicist stuff.
>>
>>15755888
OP here. So Ideon is probably a good choice. Yet I seem to have exhausted a majority of the shows mentioned thus far. Know you of any such shows beyond Rayearth, FSS, Galient, or Dunbine?
>>
GaoGaiGar had some pretty crazy fights.
>>
>>15756879

I think he's looking for something more epic in terms of adventure rather than outright hotblooded fisticuffs
>>
File: 1497505517234.jpg (272KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1497505517234.jpg
272KB, 1920x1080px
Is the Heroic Age worth it? OP used the pic so Im assuming he liked it. Thoughts?
>>
>>15756241
Also, like Lovecraft, some of it takes for-fucking-ever, though speeding it up would miss the point.

>>15756943
Do you like the idea of fleet actions and space Godzilla that is also Hercules? Because that's what a lot of the show is. They do a lot of neat things with them (including by far my favourite integration of psychic abilities) and there's an excellent soundtrack. I'm very fond of the show.
>>
>>15756943

Personally I enjoyed it a great deal. Bellcross is fucking nuts in terms of power level but that itself becomes part of the appeal and there's some sweet space fleet action
>>
>>15756959
Thanks that sounds like a series I can get into. Going to start now.
>>
File: Vandread.full.526462.jpg (1MB, 2584x3633px) Image search: [Google]
Vandread.full.526462.jpg
1MB, 2584x3633px
You may want to consider given Vandread a look.

A group of men and women get blasted across the galaxy and need to make the long voyage back to warn their home lands of an invading alien armada

It's got some early cg problems but they actually had the sense to not blend it with the 2d stuff so it doesn't clash as much as you'd see in a lot of shows and is generally a fun ride with some scattered feels
>>
>>15757185
Vandread is basically what I don't want dude. I'm almost afraid I've exhausted all of the shows that could possibly satisfy this mythic itch I've been feeling
>>
>>15755497
Shin Mazinger rewrites the origin story of Mazinger to involve alien invaders, the Greek pantheon, and larger than life figures. It's literally what happens if you put a Greek epic, Wuxia, and Mazinger into a blender.

And just like the stories of old, it's storytelling is a bit messy and all over the place.
>>
>>15757744
Has anyone translated any form of God Mazinger yet? That one's meant to be pretty mythic, right?
>>
>>15755530
The movie is... not great.

It's basically a tiny slice out of the middle of a super long story.

Like, take your favorite novel, take chapter ten, and then make a movie about just chapter ten.
>>
>>15755979
4chan's definition of pretentious is "I read a book once" so excuse me if I don't take your contrarian opinion seriously.
>>
>>15758248
The whole concept of FSS itself is just showing you bits and pieces of a larger narrative that you're already fully aware of just to make the figures within it seem more human and real. You already know what happens, but not the how or why.
>>
>>15758248
I'm aware of those criticisms. I still think it might be worth checking for visuals alone.
>>
>>15755497
If you don't mind tokusatsu, Gaim pretty closely follows the Joseph Campbell heroic/mythic cycle, right down to the character ascending at the end.
>>
>>15758240
The first ten chapters have been translated but there's been nothing for like half a year
>>
>>15755931
Ok anon, I laughed.
>>
>>15755497
Maybe L-Gaim? It's kind of a proto-FSS in a way afterall.

Are you strictly looking for anime because I feel what you're looking for is more prevalent in scifi novels, just...without the robots sadly. Heroic Age is more the (wonderful) exception than the norm sadly and probably why it gets liked despite the flaws because it's the only thing to fill the niche.
>>
File: Densetsu Kyojin Ideon.jpg (239KB, 705x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Densetsu Kyojin Ideon.jpg
239KB, 705x1020px
>>15756959
I bet Ideon would make a great series of short novels.
>>
Ace Combat 5 does play around with the ideas of legends to a great extent, I did love the CUM HISTORIA
>>
>>15760444
Any recs for novels senpai? Aside from the obvious LOGH
>>
>>15755602
Maybe the last episode of Gunbuster. Maybe.

>>15755917
>Getter Robo Saga
>Giant Robo OVA
Definitely

>Demonbane
Kind of pushing it because of how much of it is basically only super robot with Lovecraft characters, but it does get crazy enough to have some mythic feel

>Muv Luv
Eh, mythic is the wrong word. It's too down to Earth for that.

>>15755979
It's a catchier way of saying cosmic horror. The name Lovecraft sounds chuuni as fuck honestly speaking, so that's probably why his name is stuck to the genre.

>>15756943
I fell in love with the narration the show started with. Sets the mood instantly.
>>
>>15760788
If you're okay with Western literature maybe Vernor Vinge's Zone of Thought series? It's from the 90's, a trilogy of books, A Fire Upon the Deep, A Deepness in the Sky and The Children of the Sky. There is also a short story called 'The Blabber' which is also part of it.

On the anime front I just remembered Toward the Terra and Crest of the Stars might also be of interest to you.
>>
Dunbine? Its mostly 'just another Tomino show', but it has giant robot chivalry, foot soldiers shooting down flying mecha with ballistas from castles, angry fairies, and near every battle in the last half of the show has a few hundred participants on each side.

By 'mythic' do you mean some sort of legendary character leading, or a world centered around empires and gods? Or something else?
>>
>>15760675
iirc there was a (two? three?) part LN version like the Gundam books
>>
>>15760899
I mean both, and I am watching Dunbine already.
>>
>>15755888
Am I the only one who really liked Ideon the series? I do agree it gets kinda formulaic, but don't think it makes it bad.
>>
>>15760954
Everyone here genuinely likes Ideon, at least those who've watched it. But let's not kid ourself by saying that it's a God's grace on Earth worthy of worship, it has some flaws that need to be addressed whenever we are recommending it to people.
>>
>>15760899
Man, Bern Burnings can't even catch a break in the fanart.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.