[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>needs to hook up to a nearby power generator or carry around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

>needs to hook up to a nearby power generator or carry around his own power generator to be able to use his main weapon

What were the Feddie engineers thinking?
>>
It's a long range rifle. A sniper rifle. Obviously to be used for base defense or sniping, not carrying it on the front lines. Was this really worth a thread?
>>
>>15744152

>>sniper
>>the beam is just a continuous laser that it can easily point to destroy anything in its path

wasn't expecting that
>>
they were thinking, "let's create another model kit to sell by repainting an existing kit and giving it a different gun"
>>
>>15741550
So wait are MS team 08 threads the new "Zeta is shit" threads now?
>>
>>15744166
>>15744159
>waaaah stop making threads about mecha in the mecha board

The state of /m/, treating an imageboard where threads are transient like it's some kind of curated magazine.
>>
>>15744152
>What were the Feddie engineers thinking?
Wasn't this thing a lot more effective than a good plethora of OYW Zeon suits?
>>
>>15744152
They were probably thinking "this is way cheaper than making a purpose-built frame that can fit another generator".
>>
File: Ms-05l-kirks-back.jpg (35KB, 302x500px) Image search: [Google]
Ms-05l-kirks-back.jpg
35KB, 302x500px
>>15744180
Zeon sniper suits had the auxiliary generator in their oversized backpacks , which they could put on any suit they wanted to turn it into a sniper version. I think that's a lot more effective.

Though if I were to balance to the lore, I'd say the GM Sniper system is way bulky and limits mobility, but it shoots farther and more powerful beam. More suited for defensive positions or full assaults (think Big Gun from thunderbolt). And the Zaku is more mobile but not as strong or far-reaching. Since it's using the improved monoeye and sensor suite of the zaku recon, the zaku sniper is probably also designed for reconnaissance duties.
>>
>>15744235
We don't really see the OYW zaku sniper in action. By unicorn Kirk's suit has probably received a bunch of upgrades.
>>
>>15744235
Well the GM sniper itself is just a GM painted green with a hookup to control the sniper rifle on one side of the backpack. Converting a regular GM to a GM sniper would be an even simpler job than switching out a whole backpack. Besides, the fact that the Zaku has enough strength that it can carry that much extra weight isn't a good thing, it means it's overbuilt. The GM was cheap and efficient. That's why the feddies won. The GM sniper was clearly just a rush job to create a long range mobile suit that would be effective enough and able to go in to operation using existing production lines, and it succeeded in that.
>>
>>15744235
The GM Sniper that you're talking about is OYW tech. This Zaku Sniper from Unicorn is from 0096 although maybe it was made just a little earlier. There sure as fuck were no Zaku I beam rifle snipers during the OYW. That is late tech for Zeon and I am confident in saying the backpack is late as well.
>>
File: fichtenfoo-ez8-03.jpg (63KB, 600x699px) Image search: [Google]
fichtenfoo-ez8-03.jpg
63KB, 600x699px
> the fact that the Zaku has enough strength that it can carry that much extra weight isn't a good thing, it means it's overbuilt.

That's got to be the most BS reason to bag on a mobile suit.
>>
Wasn't the GM Sniper able to use its rifle using it's own generator and the external generator was only meant for firing the powerful, sustained beam capable of sinking space battleships?

I know the answer is obvious but did OP even watch 08th MS Team or is he just a shitposting retard?
>>
>>15744328
Weren't those things built from scraps though? I'm pretty sure they could afford the excess sine they weren't built with mass production in mind.
>>
>>15744328
Weren't Ez8s made from Gundam scraps? They aren't exactly mass-produced.
>>
File: 10051247a.jpg (190KB, 772x999px) Image search: [Google]
10051247a.jpg
190KB, 772x999px
>>15744322
It's OYW tech. Apparently they were made a thing after the failure to destroy Jaburo and feddies started coming down on California Base from Vancouver. Something about a battle that took place at the same site where Garma died. GMs cowering behind their shields and in panic because the Zaku sniper was dropping GMs one after another.
>>
Energy doesn't grow on trees
>>
Did no one in here watch the show? The GM Sniper can fire the beam sniper rifle without the external generator, but for a shorter duration because of the lack of extra generator power and cooling. It also has an enhanced backpack like the Zaku Sniper.

http://dalong.net/review/mg/m96/p/m96_14.jpg

The large round thing is an additional -optional- heavy duty cooler and generator.

http://dalong.net/review/mg/m96/p/m96_16.jpg

When the GM Sniper shot down the Zanzibar, it was using the optional large round cooler for a long duration shot. When the GM Sniper relocated to the forest to shoot the Apsalus III from an unexpected angle, it was only using the backpack.

>>15744322
According to background fluff, Zaku Sniper is a late OYW model, even though it only appears in post-war material as a "it was so rare that they barely took part in battle and thus spared from destruction". Also, the GM Sniper's specialty seems to be continuous firing for maximum damage on VIP targets, whereas the Zaku Sniper as used by Kirks was firing bursts for support fire.
>>
>>15744433
thx for the clarification. too bad the p-bandai hguc kit doesn't even come with the big backpack or the cables. option parts kit pls
>>
>>15744356
well if scraps are capable to get backpack, any other mobile suit can do that
>>
File: Whitedingosniper.jpg (38KB, 394x420px) Image search: [Google]
Whitedingosniper.jpg
38KB, 394x420px
>>15744382
>>15744152
Good thing the Feds made an updated version that didn't need an auxiliary generator.
>>
>>15744518
See >>15744433
>>
>>15744533
What about it? The Sniper II is still a better model with a higher generator output and doesn't need an auxiliary generator.
>>
>>15744557
The GM[G] Sniper doesn't need an auxiliary generator either.
>>
>>15744518
>>15744557
Only super special snowflake White Dingo sniper II has the upgraded generator. The others are stuck using the 75mm sniper rifle
>>
>>15744340
Spare parts from the RX-78. Not exactly scrapes.
>>
>>15744463
There were only 20 of them made. So 20 backpacks maybe 30 accounting for replacements.
>>
>>15744573
All of the GM Sniper II units have the same reactor output of 1390 kW. The others use the 75mm sniper rifle and various other beam rifles and machine guns because the long beam rifle was a rare low production weapon.

>>15744592
I thought it was all sorts of spare parts from Project V. Otherwise, they could just build more RX-78 units if it was only RX-78 parts.
>>
I would love to see a GM Sniper II get the GM III upgrade or the very least something like Yazan's GM Nightseeker upgrade in MSV-R
>>
>>15744152
Only the GM[G] that stayed behind on the big tray needed a coolant and generator hookup for that one sustained beam. The other two GM[G] snipers did fine on the move and still took down the Apsalus with shorter bursts. Also the backpack was a redesign for a re-release of an MG kit and never showed up in the animu.
>>
>>15744573
There were non White Dingo ones that used that Rifle, and other beam rifles as well.

>>15744152
They were thinking that it needed a hard hitting rifle, but not move around much I guess. The Sniper [G] was kind of just thrown together from how I see it out of the Normal [G] so they just didn't upgrade it since other Models like the Sniper Custom and Sniper II were already in the works. Also it was probably just meant for Base defense and little else unlike the other sniper types.
>>
>>15744328
I mean badass super strong mechs are cool but that's generally not practical from a war production point of view.
Also the ez8 and other gundam ground types were made of spare gundam parts that were cobbled together in to mobile suits so as not to waste them. Of course they're stronger than GMs.
>>
Wonder why with the Federation aesthetic becoming "tactical operator" that they don't have another GM or Jegan Sniper that uses like a beam M110 SASS and giant Glock that blows up the operator's hand.
>>
>>15744896
>feddie apologists shitting on zeon suits for the dumbest shit ever
>>
>>15744597
>>15744592
>>15744340
>>15744356
>>15744328

Are the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type and EZ8 modified one considered weaker than normal gundams? Like would the original one or the Alex or other ones kick their asses? They seem like they get a lot more fucked up considering that by episode 12 only one of the 3 isn't modified with different parts and the EZ8 got pretty fucked up twice
>>
>>15745238
They're definitely weaker than a real gundam prototype. The project produced a bunch of parts that weren't the right spec or had to be changed or etc, and apparently development was rocky enough that they had a big pile of parts that weren't actually compatible with the gundam, enough to (almost) make like two dozen mobile suits. So instead of just trashing them, they used them to build these suits, throwing them together with GM parts and resulting in a suit that's somewhere between a regular grunt suit and a gundam in quality.
>>
>>15744896
>>15744328
It does say the RX-79G, (not the EZ8 as the EZ8 is a custom RX-78G) were 80% the same parts as the RGM-79[G] GM Ground Type which drops the backpack. So I guess you can assume the ground gundams are essentially just the same as the ground GMs but with more staying power (like a better reactor and better armor).

How did the ground GMs match up to the regular shit GMs?
>>
>>15744908
personally not a big fan of the tacticool feddie and zeon aesthetic that's been popping up lately

90s and some of the 2000s era OYW was the best depiction
>>
>>15745238
>Are the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type and EZ8 modified one considered weaker than normal gundams?
Sorta, yeah. They're the lowest performing Gundams since they're one of the earliest examples. Spec-wise they're a bit inferior to the original Gundam, seeing as they're not as agile and quite a bit heavier. I guess it's implied that the RX-79 has ridiculously strong armor, thicker than that of the original Gundam seeing as it's several tons heavier and some recent depictions show them tanking 175mm magella cannon shots without much harm.

>Like would the original one or the Alex or other ones kick their asses?
I would imagine so. The Alex's specs are ridiculous, it's even higher than the Gundam Mark II's capabilities.

>>15745260
>It does say the RX-79G, (not the EZ8 as the EZ8 is a custom RX-78G)
You've got that wrong. There's no such thing as an RX-79G or RX-78G. There's the RX-78, which is the original. Then there's the RX-79, which is a Gundam design that's meant for Earth-use only. The EZ8 is a modified RX-79, they recovered Shiro's trashed RX-79 and completely rebuilt it.

>So I guess you can assume the ground gundams are essentially just the same as the ground GMs but with more staying power (like a better reactor and better armor).
>How did the ground GMs match up to the regular shit GMs?
Ground GMs had luna titanium armor, which made them quite durable to conventional weapons fire. Other than that, the regular GMs are lighter and more agile suits.
>>
File: latest.png (848KB, 1007x760px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
848KB, 1007x760px
>>15744152
They were thinking "This is a super early prototype that is getting replaced in a few weeks anyways, just paint it green and give it an auxiliary power scource for its stronger beam rifle until we replace it."

>Not enslaving a hizack to carry it around for you.
>>
>>15745284
I'm not even going to ask why the helmet has a lens on it. It's like using binoculars to get a clearer look at an LCD monitor.
>>
>>15745291
they think the readers are idiots and wouldn't understand that it's a visor if it didn't have a camera on it.
>>
File: latest-6.jpg (511KB, 1046x1881px) Image search: [Google]
latest-6.jpg
511KB, 1046x1881px
>>15745291
Its from a zaku flipper and basically just slapped on top of it instead of completely replacing the original camera and making an all new head like on the zaku. The manga its from features a lot of modernized msv stuff and customized ms. If you look its hands are also square EFF style hands.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (64KB, 868x417px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
64KB, 868x417px
>>15745308
No, I'm talking about the helmet.
>>
>>15744166
8th MS team was always shit, the fact that the "x is shit" has move on to it doesn't make it any less shit. Kill yourself.
>>
>>15745314
If I had to guess, its to swap between looking directly through the main sniping cameras and swapping to look at the normal cockpit display without having to flip it up or move anything out of the way.

Overall though its just there to look cool and add detail.
>>
File: GM sniper snipes.jpg (136KB, 888x684px) Image search: [Google]
GM sniper snipes.jpg
136KB, 888x684px
>>15745271

I think the Feds need an identity outside of the Gundams, an aesthetic that you can look at and instantly recognize that Fed grunt. Conroy's Jegan, and Jestas were a good middle ground between the blank, utilitarian look of the bog standard RGM-79 and the overblown, dial it back of the Pale Rider and HADES (which is Zeon anyway) that looks like a mecha mall ninja.
>>
File: MSG-ML_A.jpg (968KB, 2240x3041px) Image search: [Google]
MSG-ML_A.jpg
968KB, 2240x3041px
>>15745346
>Pale Rider and HADES (which is Zeon anyway)
What part of this looks Zeonic to you? The monoeye, power pipes, and curves?
>>
>>15745353

The Pale Rider doesn't look Zeonic, but the Todesritter does. The Pale Rider needs to dial back the tacticool shit.
>>
>>15745316
08th ms team is the best gundam
>>
>>15744896
>>15744356
>>15744340
>>15744309
Zaku I was developed as a less powerful but cheaper to manufacture alternative to the Bugu. Even without that needing to be said, every fucking mobile suit in existence can carry extra weight, it's not some super special fucking feature that requires over-engineering.

I can't believe so many people even jumped on this absolutely stupid anti-Zaku "argument" and coming out of the woodworks to move the goalpost for the Ez8 for some perceived negativity.
>>
>>15744159
Why put it on a mobile suit, though? If it's meant as a stationary emplacement, couldn't you just make it a turret? It can't even be that they're repurposing existing parts for a quick and cheap system, because they've already got turret parts of the right size from the Ball, of all things.
>>
>>15746077
You can use that rifle both on the giant cooling/energy tower thing and on it's own. Basically take a ground type GM and give it a rifle that can be used anywhere or can be super charged and used for base defense
>>
>>15745386
Because the Toadwriter is literally a Zeon-captured suit that has been customized with Zeon tech???
>>
File: Ms141agc231[1].png (1MB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ms141agc231[1].png
1MB, 742x1024px
>>15745284
I love MSV-R so much. It's probably one of the more entertaining settings to come out of UC lately
>>
>>15745983
In fact, extra headroom and clearance is a good thing, it keeps units from being rendered obsolete too quickly if it can still handle upgrades.

Imagine if a tank was designed with a suspension system that could only ever properly handle its own base weight. It could never take any upgrades without lightening the tank first. It would never be able to fit a newer larger gun, or protective armor.
>>
>>15744152
>What were ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶F̶e̶d̶d̶i̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶e̶r̶s̶ Bandai thinking?
>What new shit can we sell to these autists that would look cool in a diorama
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.