[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ive been wanting to get into mecha but Im not sure what to do,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: gundam.jpg (53KB, 283x400px) Image search: [Google]
gundam.jpg
53KB, 283x400px
Ive been wanting to get into mecha but Im not sure what to do, I was never exposed to much mecha stuff as a kid but Ive always loved robots and always found the concept of giant robots piloted by humans, really cool.
I was thinking about starting with the original Gundam series (the 79 one I think) but Im not sure if it holds up, nevertheless Im used to anime from the 80s to some extent so I have enough patience to soldier through the anime if needed.
Anyway, if you had to recommend a couple good mecha anime to get someonte into the genre, what would they be?
>>
Gundam is a good choice, it's one of the first mecha anime I watched and it definitely holds up even today (I watched it in 2014). Maybe check out the movie trilogy if the series seems like too much work.
Other popular and widely appreciated shows include Evangelion and Gurren Lagann (appreciated to the point that /m/ might get a bit too contrarian when it comes to opinions on these shows).
Also I would recommend the Gunbuster OVA, one of my personal favourites.
>>
Gurren lagun always
IBO series is pree good and you could try Eva

This question doesn't really need a thread cause there's some much damn good mecha
>>
>>15742234
>>15742236
Thanks guys, Ive already watched NGE which is my favorite anime and very dear to me, and also TTGL.
Im a fan of gainax so Ive watched more of their stuff but Im aware TTGL and NGE deviate from the regular mecha show.
Ive heard votoms is pretty good, any idea?
>>
>>15742236
Forgot to mention code geass
It's in my top 5 for sure
>>
>>15742239
Yeah Votoms should be nice.
>>
File: Gundam Chart.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam Chart.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>Gundam
Production order for UC, AUs can be watched at any time in any order, watch Turn A after you've watched everything UC and every TV series that had aired at that point already.

>Votoms
Watch the TV series first then the appropriate OVAs. They vary from "Pretty good expansion on Chirico's character/the world of VOTOMs" to "Jesus why'd they make this"

>Other shit you should know about
There's a bunch of different Mazinger/Getter Robo shows/OVAs but they're all mostly unrelated to one another outside of characters/certain ideas. Mazinkaiser/Shin Getter vs Neo Getter robo are short enough that you'll get yourself a general idea of the ideas each series goes for.

Macross is just production order. Macross is pretty linear in its timeline (Asides from Zero which is first chronologically). You will either love or hate the music aspect of it.

If you're saying you're a fan of Gainax stuff I'm just gonna assume you've watched Gunbuster/Diebuster but if you haven't yet then go ahead and do that already.

As far as "Entry-Level" mecha go my two picks that I recommend to people I know that want to get into mecha are Nadesico and Full Metal Panic, Nadesico if they want a fun show and FMP if they're more of a "I need to take what I watch seriously to enjoy it" kind of person.
>>
>>15742333
Thanks alot, your information is pretty useful, I will keep that chart in mind.
I just watched the first episode of MSG and I had no idea Char was from the original Gundam, its a neat surprise.
Also, the animation is really choppy but I suppose it is a product of its time.
>>
>>15742342
I'd check out the MSG movie trilogy. It has some updated animation at the cost of some pacing issues in the 2nd film. Ultimately still very enjoyable
>>
>>15742342
>Also, the animation is really choppy but I suppose it is a product of its time.
It's something you can learn to love, I sure did.
>>
File: 1487532911867.jpg (2MB, 5146x2895px) Image search: [Google]
1487532911867.jpg
2MB, 5146x2895px
Not OP, but I have a vaguely related question.

What would be better to marathon: Gundam or Macross? and is all of it available in one spot like neo-nyaa or do I have to track down a bunch of sub groups?
>>
>>15742547
OP here, I dislike streaming anime but I had an hard time trying to find a good torrent for Gundam so I just ended up using 9anime to watch the series.
The quality isnt that bad honestly, but Im using a crt monitor so its not as bad as an lcd monitor or something.
>>
>>15742636
https://nyaa.si/view/531318 there ya go, always go with EG
>>
>>15742342
You should watch the movies regardless of if you finish the TV series or not. Not only is it the canon version of events, the new animation is worth it.
>>
>>15742639
thanks buddy.
>>15742641
the movie is the canon version? does that mean that it retcons stuff from the original to some extent? I suppose I will watch the movies after the series then, I will try to watch 10 episodes per day or something since I have some free time now and I dont mind marathoning big series.
>>
>>15742649
no it is not the canon version of events because both aspects of the TV series and movies are incorporated into future installments of Gundam. However, the Movie version is just more or less a condensed version of the series to remind you of the important plot points.

The Zeta movies are actually different in plot from the series and is there to serve as another side of the story for Zeta fans, and not meant to be a quick refresh.
>>
>>15742664
Ah I see, thanks.
>>
>>15742649
>>15742664
No, the movies ARE the canon version. Stuff like Hayato's Guncannon and the Core Booster are seen in sequels. Meanwhile stuff exclusive to the TV series never gets referenced, except in the occasional manga or video game. The whole point of the movies is to cut out all the dumb stuff Tomino didn't want. They're the refined version.
>>
>>15742681
>Stuff like Hayato's Guncannon and the Core Booster are seen in sequels.
so is the zakrello
>>
>>15742234
The Trilogy is probably the best way to go, since it cuts out a lot of the "silly" parts of 0079.
>>
>>15742227
Gundam 0079 holds up outstandingly well.
>>
>>15742681
no the point of the movies was that it was a refresher for people to get a quick catchup of the original story before Zeta Gundam aired. It was for people who already saw the original series, just like every other anime compilation movie.

canon/non canon is just stupid fan bullshit that has nothing to do with the purpose of their creation.
>>
>>15744252
Zeta hadn't been planned yet at the time of the movie trilogy.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.