[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good segue into mecha and stuff for people you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: Capture.png (78KB, 465x354px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
78KB, 465x354px
What's a good segue into mecha and stuff for people you want to introduce the genre to? What mecha media has the best mass appeal and easiest digestibility for the average person?
>>
>>15726119

Uh, Im not sure Id ever try to introduce anyone to anything via eroge
>>
>>15726119
Pick your favorite. If people see how genuinely enthused about it you are, they're more likely to give it a try.
>>
>>15726119
>genre
stop that

Anyway, have them play Metal Gear or Mega Man. I think video games are supposed to be a step above anime on the nerd totem
>>
>>15726131
I just really wanted to share this image desu

>>15726141
What if she's just not into those types of games? She adores RPG stuff, however. I'm worried about introducing her to SRW because there's so many series within it though...
>>
File: Tsurezure_Children_150_Page_3.png (120KB, 353x265px) Image search: [Google]
Tsurezure_Children_150_Page_3.png
120KB, 353x265px
>>15726119
>mfw I saved that exact crop a day or two ago

>>15726141
It's a genre, moron.
>>
>>15726146
If you can't at least get someone interested in the story of Metal Gear (whether they like it or not), then your attempt is probably DOA anyway
>>
>>15726155
I'll give that a shot. She's definitely a gun and military otaku, but she's not very good with FPS stuff so she ends up avoiding it :/
>>
>>15726151
>It's a genre, moron.

No it's not. It's a medium but different eroges can vary wildly in tone and content. You really want to say shit like Demonbane is in the same Genre as I dunno, tears to Tiara?
>>
>>15726173
Then get her to play MGS1. You literally can't even shoot in first person in that game except when using the sniper rifle, which you have to be completely stationary to use anyway. IIRC they don't even let you move in first person until like MGS4
>>
>>15726174
>It's a medium
Ahaha you absolute idiot. Animation is a medium. Comics are a medium. Mecha is a genre.
>You really want to say shit like Demonbane is in the same Genre as I dunno, tears to Tiara?
Tears to Tiara isn't even mecha. And besides, works are rarely just one genre.

>but different eroges
OP never called eroge a genre, you illiterate little shit.
>>
>>15726186
>Mecha is a genre
Explain in what way. What defines a mecha show other than the presence of machines?
>>
>>15726186
>Tears to Tiara isn't even mecha.

I know. That was my point you retard. It's an eroge but it's not mecha
>>
>>15726190
Wow, you must have a really fucking hard time staying on topic when posting on this board.

>>15726192
OP never once called eroge a genre.
>>
>>15726212

Well looks like Im the faggot then
>>
>>15726212
No one forced you to reply to my post
>>
>>15726119
For better or worse, Gurren Lagann.
>>
File: so this is a gundam.jpg (259KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
so this is a gundam.jpg
259KB, 1067x800px
Unironically Evangelion.
>>
File: IMG_8138.png (248KB, 1132x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8138.png
248KB, 1132x1000px
>>15726119
I just show my friends Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter, usually does the trick
>>
>>15726173
>gun and military otaku
Does it have to be anime? I introduced my friends to stuff like Exosquad and Voltron Force to see what parts most interest them
Then If I have to advice mecha games that are non-FPS. How about G Gen and SRW (which have english sub releases)
>>
>>15726295
She showed interest in G Gen when I was playing months ago, so maybe I'll let her have a go at it. Will tell you how it goes tonight.
>>
>>15726119
dubs confirm gurren lagann
>>
Gurren Lagan if you want her to get into anime but not necessarily mecha. MSG 0080: War in the Pocket is a good segue into Gundam which is a big part of the mecha medium.
>>
Gundam Thunderbolt is pretty mindless, I'd say. You don't need to know much about UC, but it's a nice complement, to say the least.
>>
>>15726151
>It's a genre, moron.
"Super robot" is definitely a genre, but "mecha" really isn't. Even "real robot" is just sci-fi anime with mecha.
If you think about, while Tetsujin and 8-man fall under "super robot," one could argue that Mazinger Z is more of a slice of life with action than a superhero show.
>>
>>15726801
>"Super robot" is definitely a genre, but "mecha" really isn't. Even "real robot" is just sci-fi anime with mecha.
Trolling status: maximum
>>
File: image_2.jpg (58KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
image_2.jpg
58KB, 720x480px
>>15727092
Super robot was literally the first genre of anime. Super robot = superhero robot
>>
>>15727215
>going into overdrive
>>
>>15727092
He's right though. To call 'mecha' a genre is to say that Mazinger Z, Raideen, Mobile Suit Gundam, Full Metal Panic!, Mashin Hero Wataru, Ghost in the Shell, Big O and Babel II are all the same genre, despite massive thematic, conceptual and tonal differences and conventions, just because they all have mecha in them.
>>
>>15727225
It is very much a genre. Just Mazinger Z is a mecha comedy adventure and Gundam is a mecha military drama doesn't mean they both aren't mecha shows. Mecha, especially in the sense of giant robot stories, is most definitely a genre. You can reply but this is over.
>>
>>15727237
You can't possibly be this retarded.
>>
File: mechastarter.jpg (277KB, 796x777px) Image search: [Google]
mechastarter.jpg
277KB, 796x777px
>>
>>15727256
the bottom ones are "literally whats" to that kind of person at this point
>>
>>15727225

Jacob's Ladder is massively different from Friday the 13th in terms of theme, concept and tone despite both being in the horror genre. Genre doesn't have to artistically determine anything, it's just a glorified filing system we have because the human brain categorizes stuff.

mecha is more specific than horror but a subgenre can still have lots of possibilities.

oh my god I'm becoming autistic
>>
>>15726119
Too bad Super Robots and Eroge don't combine very often.
>>
>>15726295
OP here, she loved G Gen so far, she spent like an couple hour just organizing and reading up on stuff on Gundam's wikia after playing through some of the early UC campaigns. Will update after she comes over tonight again to play more.
>>
>>15728245
If she likes g gen then start showing her the animes. G gen becomes twice as fun when you've actually seen all of the suits in action.
>>
>>15728245
Great to hear. Also agree with the anon >>15728303 and put some of the animes on while she plays G Gen. Preferably the fight scenes from 08thMST
>>
>>15726119
Honestly it depends on what they want and whether they are willing to watch old stuff.
>>
>>15726801
>Mazinger Z
>Slice of life

Wut.
>>
>>15726146
Okay, so here's the real issue. If she's dealt with you talking /m/ related stuff so far, she's into you. It doesn't matter what shows you talk to her about, she'll be into it. Just roll with it and be cool, it doesn't matter about the shows themselves, that's not what she's there for. Just don't fuck up a good thing.
>>
>>15728944
I said one COULD argue it, not that anyone ever has or will.
I mean they do spend most of every episode not doing robot stuff. Almost all the character drama has to do with school or dumb bullshit, and much like the manga it's supposed to be funny. While I don't find it funny, I occassionally hang out with elderly Japanese women who watch it for the jokes and not as a joke.
>>
>>15726119
Brain Powered.
>>
So you want something accessible and easily enjoyable, which is appealing BECAUSE it's a mecha show (as opposed to a good show that just happens to have robots)?

Shin Mazinger.
Or Yamato 2199, even though nothing has legs. "Mecha" and "space opera" are pretty much synonymous in anime anyway.
>>
>>15727256
>08th ms team
Really? not Wing?
Though lately I've seen it happening a lot with IBO.
>>
>>15727256
That needs Macross Plus on there.
>>
>>15729747
that only counts for the aging 90s kids demographic
>>
File: mecha starter.jpg (269KB, 796x777px) Image search: [Google]
mecha starter.jpg
269KB, 796x777px
>>15727256
This is the updated one
>>
>>15727225
>To call 'science fiction' a genre is to say that Foundation, Stargate, Idiocracy, Mad Max, Blade Runner, After Man, Twenty Thousand Leagues, and G Gundam are all the same genre, despite massive thematic, conceptual and tonal differences and conventions, just because they all speculate on the future.

Face it, there are plenty of well-accepted genres out there that you technically shouldn't be accepting of. Sure, "mecha" is not as tight as "southern gothic literature", but if we limit its definition to shows which use combat robots as a central element - with their usage, maitenance and intricacy as a motivator for plot development - I'd say its a better genre than "fantasy", "scifi", "comedy", or "realistic fiction", all of which you hypocrites probably use indiscriminately.
>>
>>15727237
>Mazinger Z
>comedy
>adventure
Not sure if retarded. First off, there is literally zero adventure in Mazinger, and second, the comedy is second to the drama.

Mazinger is an mecha superhero action and drama, comedy (as a side but even Gundam ZZ has more comedy on average than Mazinger Z)
>>
>>15727237
>Gundam is a mecha military drama
Also, this is false.

Gundam has more adventure than Mazinger, so it's a mecha adventure drama, with some military aspects involved. But to call it a military drama is pretty stupid.
>>
>>15730192
Wrong. I don't really consider those as genres either, except for comedy. A genre, is a descriptor of what a story is about and/or what happens within it. With "comedy", you at least know what kind of tone to expect. "Adventure" gives you an idea of the structure. Hell, even if I don't think sci-fi and fantasy are proper terms, they do (very roughly) tell you what kind of setting you're looking at.

"Mecha" does none of these things. It is rarely used as a central element. Almost no works that involve mecha have "their usage, maintenance and intricacy as a motivator for plot development." These things usually only matter in episodic situations if they ever matter at all. Mecha are usually nothing more than a visual setpiece. This is why it's not a genre. It's for the same reason we don't have a genre for works with guys falling out of windows.
>>
>>15729786
Patlabor is an awful choice to replace FMP. Normies don't watch any pre-2000 shows besides EVA
>>
>>15726190
>What defines a mecha show other than the presence of machines?
What defines a science fiction show other than the presence of science fiction?
Surely Gundam and Steins;Gate could never be considered part of the same genre, if only there were sub-genres based on specific aspects of these shows that they share with other shows. Too bad Mecha isn't a genre.
>>
>>15727237
This is the only same post on this argument.
>>
>>15726119
Gundam, duh
>>
>>15730298
You're completely wrong, or else you've never seen a mecha anime. Mechs are the sole most important element in enough anime to more than describe it as a genre. It's a better descriptor than scifi and, while it doesn't specify a tone or even a setting, it specifies a story element that usually overshadows everything else. (And no, comedy does not specify tone - ever heard of dark comedy or satire? not everything comedy is Ice Age XXVI)

Take something like Mazinger or Zambot 3. The show would literally be nothing without the mecha. Even up until the original Gundam, you can say that most mecha bore more similarities to other mecha shows than it did to other science fiction. When studios drafted plots in the wake of the japanese robot boom, they were not aiming for "scifi, but with robots" or "mystery, but with robots". Rather, it was "robots first, setting second". The reverse of what you said: the robot was core, the setting was visual dressing, little more than frippery. If you can't watch a show like Dunbine and realise that, I don't know what to say. In fact, mecha shows regularly break the standards of the settings they've been placed in, just to better conform to mech-genre specific tropes. Things like tech progression, tailored to the need to constantly have new enemies in proper episodic fashion, should have had no place in a fantasy setting Iike Byston Well - but that feature ended up becoming an important part of the show. Had Tomino preserved his vision of a nonmecha fantasy, you can be sure the story would have been very different.

Where the genre really breaks starts with the Takahashi shows. Despite mecha showing in every episode, shows like VOTOMs really do use them as little more than dressing. It's tough to say that that would be in the mecha "genre", although classifying a story is always difficult. Arguing, however, that mecha is not a valid classification just doesn't make sense when it so neatly defines an entire era of storytelling.
>>
>>15732264
>(And no, comedy does not specify tone - ever heard of dark comedy or satire?
The former does denote a lighter tone, merely as applied to a serious more serious subject than a typical comedy. I don't know what satire has to do with comedy; it's something completely separate. It's just recontextualizing and/or exaggerating a subject. This does not imply any attempt at humor, although it often involves such.

>Take something like Mazinger or Zambot 3. The show would literally be nothing without the mecha.

I've seen both of these and wholeheartedly disagree since neither of them have plots that have anything to do with the robots in question. Now yes, there are a few specific episodes focusing on the abilities of Mazinger, as noted in the post you replied to. However, it would be just as easy to write those out of the plot entirely without fundamentally changing the show in any way. You could write Mazinger itself out without changing the plot in any way. The plot is about Kouji versus Doctor Hell, not Mazinger versus Doctor Hell. Give Kouji a magical suit of armor, and make him fight a specifically engineered Iron Mask super soldier every week and the show would just be the same thing on a smaller scale. And I could say this about the majority of mecha shows. In fact, the only ones I can think of that I couldn't say this about are shows like Transformers, Iron Leaguer and Casshern Sins, where the robots are actually the main characters and the plots do touch on their nature as robots in such a way that you couldn't change that without rewriting the entire story from the ground up. I've not seen Dunbine, but given the biological nature of the Aura battlers, you may be correct. I'll keep that in mind when I get around to it

I will agree that mecha may have been able to be considered a genre back in the 70s on account of how most mecha shows were Mazinger clones, but even then, there was stuff like the works of Yokoyama and Tatsunoko throwing everything off
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.