[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people say "mech" or "mechs" instead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

File: 1448488611841.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1448488611841.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
Why do people say "mech" or "mechs" instead of "mecha" or even just "robots"?
>>
>>15710007

Because robot implies autonomy and mecha is very different religous thing
>>
>>15710051
I just say robots. It's what the Japs say.
>>
>>15710051
>and mecha is very different religous thing
Explain.
>>
Vocally, mecha sounds like Mecca and that causes a lot of confusion.
>>
>>15710051
You're thinking of Mecca you infidel
>>
Robots are autonomous, and not piloted
Mechs are piloted
Mecha are anything mechanical, if you go by the Japanese meaning
Mecca is where they got that spooky black box
>>
>>15710051
oh fuck, i've been saying im into mecha this whole time.
>>
>>15710051
>Because robot implies autonomy
No, it does not.

>>15710007
I say 'robots'. Mech is a franchise specific term, it's like calling everything mobile suits.
>>
File: 1335481874481.jpg (185KB, 759x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1335481874481.jpg
185KB, 759x1100px
Obligatory.
>>
>>15710051
Robot implies servitude, as it's directly derived from the czech term for forced labor.

Automaton implies autonomy.

Also the proper term to use on this board is Moto-men, as decreed by our Westinghouse overlords.
>>
>>15710353
>Robot implies servitude, as it's directly derived from the czech term for forced labor.

Weren't the original robots organic, too? As in the ones from RUR.
>>
>>15710336
>Robot does not imply autonomy
The fuck
>>
>>15710358
yeah, basically synthetic humans.
>>
>>15710007
I just say robos
>>
>>15710007
I use them all interchangeably. It really doesn't matter.
>>
>>15710007
Language and words are fun!
>>
>>15710391
But "mech" is such an ugly, truncated word. It's like the stuttered syllable of some longer word you were interrupted while saying. "Mechs" is even uglier because the only word that logically follows from that syllable is "Mexico".
>>
>>15710007
I use mecha, but pronounce it inside my head as metcha
>>
File: mech_javelin.gif (48KB, 550x827px) Image search: [Google]
mech_javelin.gif
48KB, 550x827px
>>15710007
>Why do people say "mech" or "mechs" instead of "mecha"
As someone I know has adamantly put it:

Mecha is used to describe cartoons like Gundam and Evangelion whereas mech (plural form being mechs) is used to describe the machines in serious sci fi such as the Battletech universe.
>>
File: 1351390763132.jpg (53KB, 640x370px) Image search: [Google]
1351390763132.jpg
53KB, 640x370px
>>15710904
>serious sci fi
>>
>>15710007
I use "mecha" and "robots" myself.
"mech" just sounds terrible and has no reason to exist. I am partial to "mek" though because Orks are awesome.
>>
>>15710522
Funnily enough I feel the opposite, that 'mecha' seems needlessly flowery or elaborate.
>>
>>15710007
It's just a more specific type of robot.
While the origin of the word "robot" was the "robota" androids from K. Čapek's play R.U.R., it's generally used for any articulated machine from giant robot vehicles to that little joystick controlled robot arm from radio shack. Android and Gynoid typically refer to mostly-human looking robots or robots that are similar enough to the human form that they could pass for a human in a costume. Droid is used for less anthropomorphized robots that are near human sized or smaller. These three are typically fully autonomous and intelligent unlike more basic PLC-controlled industrial robots (the kind you'd see at an automotive manufacturing plant) that are designed only to perform one specific precision task over and over.
Mech normally refers to a robot that is large enough to have a control console or cockpit inside it from which it is driven by a human rather than being autonomous or PLC-controlled.

Droids, androids, gynoids, mechs, and industrial robots are all types of robots but are distinct types of robots.
>>
>>15710904

If you ever get the chance you should put on your best serious face and ask him if he's baiting you.
>>
>>15710338
Me.
>>
>>15710338
But in Gundam, they're clearly talking about "piloting" the Mobile Suits. There may be more attention to detail in the cockpits and the controls, but it's really not much different from how Mazinger is "piloted".
>>
File: Soon.jpg (345KB, 842x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Soon.jpg
345KB, 842x2000px
>>15710007
I use all 3 depends on who I'm talking to an how vast there /m/ knowledge is. When talking about automatons its detail is key in knowing the difference between a robot, cyborg, or android because how scenario/interactions are made throughout the narrative~ I'm always surprise when they have that one Human guy in the Mix like Togusa's portrayal from G.I.T.S.
>>
>>15710007
>Why do people say "mech" or "mechs"
Retarded Americans who grew up with retarded franchises that used retarded terms.
>>
File: fight.png (4MB, 1674x962px) Image search: [Google]
fight.png
4MB, 1674x962px
>>15710007

>Talking about a western franchise
Mech (Singular), Mechs (Plural)

>Talking about an eastern franchise
Mecha (Singular and Plural)

>Talking about a machine designed to operate on its own without human input beyond the initial giving of orders
Robot
>>
Yeah, technically Mazinger and Gundam aren't robots, even though the term gets thrown around even in official materials. Giant Robo and Gigantor still are, though.
>>
>>15710353
>Robot implies servitude, as it's directly derived from the czech term for forced labor.

Well right but mostly the slaves would be left to do shit on their own with a person watching over them to keep them in line.

With a robot you program a function or task and just let it go. A mech is more like a fancy tank or vehicle. It requires direct input from an operator
>>
I only use robot and basically rib anyone who uses terms like "mech" and "mecha" unironically.

>>15712842
But both the original Gundam and Mazinger display a degree of automation, Gundam more than Mazinger.
>>
>>15710904

nice bait
>>
>>15710359
It implies automation which is absolutley not the same thing as autonomy. Many real world robots require human operation to do anything at all and exactly none are fully autonomous.
>>
>>15711173
You're not supposed to think the old fart is actually correct. He's not. A mobile suit automates a lot of basic motions, it's a genuine robot. If you can simply pull a lever or push a pedal to make the legs go forward without having to make complex adjustments for terrain or moving each leg manually you can bet there are robotics involved. All piloted robots are aptly named. They're robots. You could make a case against robots like a mobile fighter where the movements follow the pilots motions 1/1 being actual robots, I guess, but that's as far as it can go.
>>
>>15713128
Not baiting, some people are actually retarded.
>>
>>15711173
In the original concept, back when it was still going to be called "Gunboy", mobile suits actually were going to be powered suits but the producers wanted giant robots.

And now you know why people in Gundam refer to non-powered space suits as "normal suits".
>>
File: 1421748149333.png (85KB, 277x266px) Image search: [Google]
1421748149333.png
85KB, 277x266px
>>15713257
>now you know why people in Gundam refer to non-powered space suits as "normal suits"
>>
>>15710007
Because MechDonalds
>>
>>15713257
To this day I've never seen an actual source for this.

I mean it makes sense logically, but still I've never actually seen anything on it.
>>
>>15710052
This.
>>
File: MS_original_design.jpg (290KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
MS_original_design.jpg
290KB, 1500x1000px
>>15713257
>In the original concept, back when it was still going to be called "Gunboy", mobile suits actually were going to be powered suits but the producers wanted giant robots.

I mean, Gundam is completely based on Starship troopers, to the point they have the "mobile suit" name directly from that book's "mobile suits".
But I've never seen a single image of them ever being Starship trooper-sized.
>>
>>15710007
Robot implies autonomy. Most mecha shows involve a giant bipedal vehicle that cannot pilot itself. There are exceptions of course.

Mech and mecha are short for mechanical, and the name just stuck. Mech is just the natural way a westerner would pronounce it while mecha is Japanese (since none of their words end with a k consonant sound).
>>
File: Mark IV crush.jpg (151KB, 960x810px) Image search: [Google]
Mark IV crush.jpg
151KB, 960x810px
>>15710522

>such an ugly, truncated word.

It's almost like that's what WAR MACHINES are named like.

Almost like TANK and TANKS
>>
>>15710541
So a Spanish speaker?
With that you differentiate it from the muslim's holly city but sounds just like a kind of braid and the fuse of a bomb
>>
>>15714163
According to the Art of Gundam exhibit the power armor thing is true but was squashed so early in the conceptualizing stage the only traces of it are some notes by Tomino.
>>
You can spot the realismfags so easily in this thread. For example: >>15714355 and >>15714370
>>
File: madmarine_stop.jpg (13KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
madmarine_stop.jpg
13KB, 200x200px
>>15710007
>>
>>15714887
I prefer "You gotta work for my suspension of disbelief" fag, thank you very much
>>
>>15714163
Those Guntank and Guncannon designs are pretty sweet, honestly. I've never like how the Guntank ended up looking (back of the head especially).
>>
>>15714370
"Tank" was a code name. The British wanted the Germans to think they were only using all that steel to build literal fuel tanks, water tanks, etc.
>>
>>15710007
Mech is singular Mecha is plural
Tell me im technically wrong but idgaf, im white im gonna say mech goddamnmit
>>
>>15710054
>>15710243
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecca
>>
File: gundam hiding.png (472KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gundam hiding.png
472KB, 640x480px
Since I'm an abstract outcast that even otaku can't associate with me I give my own spin to each usage depending on context and who I'm speaking with.

I use "mech" when talking about westernized piloted robots such as mech warrior stuff and that happens very rarely, mecha for easter variations such as gundam, robot for anything that is self controlled or sentient that ISN'T meant to be piloted (such as terminators, yes they're called cyborgs but living flesh alone doesn't cut it for me but that's my own autism)

But when it comes to eva I just call them eva's because there is too much shit to explain to a pleb the biomechanical god like nature of something so horrendous only a FUCKING CHILD has to operate it, the most I do is tell people its not a fucking robot or a mecha but something very difficult to describe
>>
>>15716726
Why are Americans determined to boil every people on Earth into just skin colours?
>>
>>15716825

because as a white American I've gotten along with Polish people who can barely speak English way better than the nignogs in my own country
>>
>>15716823

just call it a robot, it's supposed to be a twist and they're functionally robots anyway for 90% of the series
>>
>>15716857
So you get on better with third generation Ameri-Poles.
>>
>>15710007
>Not naming that image "anime ja nai.jpg"
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.