[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This here was the greatest Digimon show of all time. >Super

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 22

File: maxresdefault.jpg.jpg (101KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg.jpg
101KB, 1280x720px
This here was the greatest Digimon show of all time.

>Super robot protagonist
>You don't have to wait for the Mega level for a cool form
>Small, meaningful cast
>Digimon combine like robots
>The super robot doesn't appear in a "that time of the week" fashion/segment
>Various situation are resolved through smarts, tricks and unconventional application of xrossing

Most of all I loved the fucking beautiful robot that appears almost right off the bat, remains relevant and visually consistent for most of the show, and gets stronger by adding components to it's body like a real robot instead of digivolving.
>>
It's definitely up there, but it isn't Adventure or Tamers. Even ignoring Young Hunters though, it has its own issues like unclear power levels, and lack of development of the human characters (except Kiriha). Shoutmon was a bro though.
>>
>>15704560
>Small, meaningful cast
HOL UP
The whole combination gimmick meant that the cast was enormous by necessity, but even beyond necessity, there were a fuckload of superfluous Digimon. Like what was Bastemon's contribution? or Cutemon's? Hell, even Mervamon seemed pretty pointless. And let's not forget how many Digimon just kinda sat there saying nothing because they were just there for combination fodder (Ballistamon, the Starmons, everyone on Kiriha's team that wasn't Greymon), and of course, how Zenjirou and Akari were so pointless that the second season just got rid of them entirely. Even the villain cast seemed too big. We didn't need Blastmon or Lilithmon after their first appearances
>>
>>15704613

Young Hunters was supposed to be it's own show. It was generally bad but it had an awesome moment.

>Unclear power levels

That's one of the things I loved about it. Digimon has a habit of leveling the appearing Digimon whether they are protagonists, antagonists, or background characters. It also follows a strict power ranking where a Champion can't beat an Ultimate and an Ultimate can't beat a Mega. The only other time I remember a Digimon appearing "out of order" or fighting above it's league was Andromon in Adventure. An Ultimate Digimon who first appeared during the Devimon arc and later returned near the end where he held back Piedmon who was crazy overpowered. I loved that as a kid. As for the characters, they were alright as is except for Nene who was a walking corpse.

>>15704808

>there were a fuckload of superfluous Digimon.

True but they didn't appear much. Kamemon, the fuzzy bear warrior, Shoutmon's entire village, they all were in Taiki's pocket and rarely came out or spoke. Though that's a pity in Lillymon's case because she could had been eyecandy and an Ultimate combatant.

>And let's not forget how many Digimon just kinda sat there saying nothing because they were just there for combination fodder

Personally I don't much mind characters being in the background doing nothing. What I do mind is the Autobot Army syndrome where you have a huge number of unimportant characters to sell and you have to give them a day in the spotlight before they fade back to obscurity.

>Zenjirou and Akari

Zenjirou was a fun character with a mix of skill and goofiness. He was an able tinkerer who fought other Digimon occassionally and tried to act like an in-charge guy, but at the same time he was a fool in love and got into arguements with other Digimon. As for Akari, she was the caring token girl with a temper. Yeah, there isn't much of a point having her around after Nene becomes a regular.
>>
>>15704560
It was pretty good, some flaws like a pretty noticable status quo. I personally had more fun watching through Savers
>>
>no mention of amazing songs

Imma KILL YOU anon
>>
File: 1470001529074.gif (4MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1470001529074.gif
4MB, 400x225px
>>15705468
>Young Hunters was supposed to be it's own show.
No it wasn't, it was created to fill a time slot (Saint Seiya production was rocky and hit snags, since it was delayed Toei had to secure the time slot) and was needlessly latched onto Xros. It's not the first time Toei did this and it won't be the last, just hopefully they do it to a different IP.

>It was generally bad but it had an awesome moment.
The only awesome moments in the entirety of YH is Taiki using X5 (or was it X7?) and the stupidity of Daimon having the highest kill count in the crossover episodes as he punched out several Venomvamdemon. The Taiki moment also shouldn't be counted since it is ALL reused footage awkwardly cropped onto a new background.

>>15705473
>I personally had more fun watching through Savers
Because it's better. Xros is fun but I feel OP knows little about Digimon because several things he mentions are in other Digimon series and usually done better. While Xros is a solid show it pales in comparison to Adventure, Tamers, and Savers.
>>
File: waifumon.png (1009KB, 1100x618px) Image search: [Google]
waifumon.png
1009KB, 1100x618px
>>15704560
You forgot the ultimate waifumon
>>
>>15705506
I like Xros a bit more than Savers, but that's because of the mech aspect of Xros Wars, and I prefer its power up method (gattai with some digivolution) over the more traditional power up method (digivolution) Savers had. I also feel that Xros Wars had more likable villains (Tactimon, Darkknightmon, and Bagramon in particular) than Savers even though Savers had a better overarching plot and pacing.

It is interesting how much the lore of Xros Wars differs from the other Digimon series though. 3 things I remember: evolution is gradual and is a bit more akin to growing up as your power level increases, Digimon can fuck to have kids, and the Digital World wasn't created by the internet, the internet simply latched onto the already existing Digital World. The last one arguably makes more sense than the internet or a server creating the Digital World, but that's probably just a matter of opinion.
>>
>>15705506
For me it's as good as Savers, and I feel both are better than Adv and especially babby's first muh dark show
>>
>>15705559
>you will never fuck a digimon to have kids
>>
You know, I am curious what other shows Toei pulled a post-script season.
>>
>>15705559
to be fair in the older anime that is also apparent (the growing up to digivolve) to non-main character Digimon, it's just that MARKETABILITY has to come in and butt in

so you got this dissonance where the protag digimon don't evolve but the backgrounds do
>>
I'll post four things I like about Young Hunters

Gumdramon. Full stop, he's an enjoyable character on his own and makes a really great foil to Shoutmon. He has his own spin on tsundere (he wants to surpass his majesty, but at the same time wants his affection and really cares so much about him). His evolutions are pretty cool too - especially the whole "Sun Wukong as a dragon" concept. Loved how he went to Superior Mode (they should have really changed the name - should have been Arresterdramon Full Power etc. since it's aping X7).

Boiling Power. Amazing as fuck song. Really shows that Tagiru didn't deserve such an amazing song.

Shoutmon's design. Yeah he never had much screentime, but fuck man that scarf, battle-ridden scarf, and manlier "armor" really gives him that "feral king" look.

A part of the final battle - Masaru and OmegaShoutmon back to back punching mooks. That shit was awesome. One wonders what would happen if two hotblooded characters bonded together.
>>
>>15706175
Off the top of my head there were countless seasons of filler for their jump properties, such as OP and Toriko, that came from not wanting to lose good time slots inbetween there being enough source material to adapt. They also did it with the Kid Buu saga of Dragon ball Kai and I think for a season of Saying Seiya. Usually when Toei animation looks really bad or budget it's because they just don't want to lose a good time slot even if they lack a proper show to fill it.

I think this was part of why Dragon Ball Super and the first season of Sailor Moon Crystal look so bad, they needed to push something out for their prime time slots and these series had the most work done.
>>
>>15706185
oh I'm talking about "series about to end suddenly gets an extra season" scenario, I know putting filler on a lot of their shows
>>
>>15706181
>Gumdramon
He's a neat design and concept but the execution is fucking awful, much like the Digiquartz setting. A big problem is he was paired with the single most unlikable protagonist in the franchise, and that's saying something considering Daisuke exists. The Sun Wukong idea would have been neat if it didn't just pop up once and never mattered ever again. The golden band just GIVING him superior mode, and it just happening in a random episode just struck home with the biggest problem in YH: it discredits the achievements of Shoutmon and Taiki by making it seem unimportant since they want you to think Tagiru is better for no reason. Also it really cheapens Superior mode since a fucking golden band activated it when Shoutmon Superior Mode came from him Xrosing with EVERY digimon.

>Boiling Power
Pretty solid song, as is the whole extremely out of place jazz soundtrack. It's still the weakest soundtrack in the franchise though.

>Shoutmon's design
I agree, I like his grizzled look and how much he's matured as king. This is why Taiki centric episodes made me sad because this could have been a decent season if it focused on Taiki.

>Masaru and OmegaShoutmon back to back punching mooks.
That's because it was the two most hotblooded protagonists working together. The crossover episodes are awful but getting more Masaru screen time is always nice.
>>
>>15706192
oh I agree on your points on gumdramon and am well aware of those, basically I'm on an "in spite of that" angle

would have been hilarious if he ended up with taiki too
>>
>>15706188
I think that specific way of it happening only has happened in recent history to Digimon. They probably did it with other shows in the 70s or 80s but normally their longer running franchises are adaptations so filler never caps anything off. Digimon stands out because it's essentially an anthology franchise where every season is different so added on time slot filler becomes a new final season to the show. YH is technically treated as a different show but as a direct sequel where two thirds of the main group are former characters it's more direct than even 02.

YH has a special set of circumstances that this time slot filling tactic (Xros was ending at the same time that slot opened up) caused a new ending to a show since normally it would just be filler inbetween seasons.
>>
>>15706197
YH would have been more interesting if the plot was that the Digiquartz needed to be sorted out but, as King, Shoutmon cannot devote that much time to fixing the real world. He sends over Gumdramon in his stead, or he sneaks out and Taiki ends up partnered to him against his will. Shoutmon asks Taiki to train Gumdramon and teach him virtues such as patience, honor, and heroism so it adds more parallels to Sun Wukong. Establish the band earlier, ditch the crossover idea, throw in a random dumb episode where rifts in space/time occurs at the end and have that be the source of cameos, splash in a couple episodes where Shoutmon shows up and curbstomps to show he is still king, rewrite or remove Ryouma's group because they are fucking pointless, fuck the stupid brave snatcher or make it into a Nyoibo parallel, and remove Tagiru or downplay him to a comic relief character who is a constant failure that shows how one can misinterpret Taiki's actions.

This is how you fix YH.
>>
>>15706204
but I want to make that dobermon guy relevant too
>>
>>15706206
Honestly he would be a better replacement than Tagiru as a member of the "New Xros Heart." Tagiru is just awful and if I rewrote the show he would take the same place as that superfluous childhood friend of his that never did anything.
>>
>>15706215
Don't forget how shitty the rivals were. I liked their designs but they got next to no development and were barely around.
>>
>>15706237
I included that in this wall >>15706204 here. They were so horribly pointless that I started getting angry when they showed up. Really all I liked was Astamon, Chou Hakaimon, and Airu (who was a cuter version of Mari from V-Tamer).
>>
File: Shoutmon x4 wip 22131022142.png (38KB, 812x936px) Image search: [Google]
Shoutmon x4 wip 22131022142.png
38KB, 812x936px
I'm not looking forward to texturing this...
>>
>>15706181
Yeah, Arresterdramon was a really cool design. I even liked edgy mode, hyped up my inner little kid.

Tagiru's song was also great.

One episode that I ended up liking was Shoutmon X7 vs Diaboromon. Mostly because of nostalgia, sure, but it was pretty hype.
>>
>>15706204
>Title is "Young Hunters who leapt through time"
>Adventure takes place in a place that looks like the real world, but old and overgrown
>Nothing becomes of either of those
>>
File: Drax.jpg (150KB, 700x1120px) Image search: [Google]
Drax.jpg
150KB, 700x1120px
>>15705569
>>
this is neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evuRBM-6g9M
>>
>>15706468
Well they did do something with the "young hunters that leapt through time" just they only did it in the last 3 episodes and mentioned it randomly 20 episodes in.

I don't think you understand what the Digiquartz was, it was supposed to be a new digital frontier that appeared beside the real world and coexisted on a slightly separate plane of space/time. It looked overgrown because it was supposed to be wild lands that were new and unexplored. You're right that they did fuck all with it, though.
>>
>>15705468
>That's one of the things I loved about it. Digimon has a habit of leveling the appearing Digimon whether they are protagonists, antagonists, or background characters. It also follows a strict power ranking where a Champion can't beat an Ultimate and an Ultimate can't beat a Mega. The only other time I remember a Digimon appearing "out of order" or fighting above it's league was Andromon in Adventure. An Ultimate Digimon who first appeared during the Devimon arc and later returned near the end where he held back Piedmon who was crazy overpowered. I loved that as a kid.

While part of it is god-level digimon being nerfed, my main issue isn't that because it is ultimately a different continuity. My main problem that it was hard to tell if Omegashoutmon or Shoutmon X5 was stronger, and which form the episode picked seemed arbitrary.
>>
>>15706519
>My main problem that it was hard to tell if Omegashoutmon or Shoutmon X5 was stronger
They are about the same, just Omegashoutmon requires less resources but offers less utility. I think X5 is slightly stronger in certain ways due to having more types of attacks, but Omegashoutmon had the holy power thing going on.
>>
All the shows post Tamers are bad, with the exception of Savers.
>>
>>15706550
Savers was also bad
>>
>>15705559
I actually really like how they do it in Cyber Sleuths, which I started playing recently: the Digital World's an entirely separate world that has digital physical laws instead of analog, so to exist in an analog universe they have to stay inside digital-based space. Since the only digital space in the Human World is manmade, visiting Digimon get confused for being sophisticated manmade programs even though they aren't.
>>
>>15706608
You can't knock Kurata though
>>
>>15706181
> One wonders what would happen if two hotblooded characters bonded together.
Yeah... Mega-leveled Burst mode Shoutmon would be awesome
>>
>We'll never find out how Bagramon became human or what became of DarkKnightmon
>>
>>15710207
I love the DKmon = Gumdramon thing
>>
File: Digimon-xros-wars-Kiriha.jpg (40KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
Digimon-xros-wars-Kiriha.jpg
40KB, 500x279px
>>15705480
It really did have a lot of kickass songs. I really liked Xross Heart's, but I think the Blue Flare ones were just a little more kickass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trAFIVEDUh0
>>
>>15704560
Do we have Appmon threads here? The plot is actually pretty hype
>>
>>15714002
That's a theory I've never heard before. Wonder how they came up with that?

>>15714027
>That mix of jazz and J-Pop
good taste, mate.

>>15716207
People try, but they usually don't last very long.
>>
If the protagonist didn't feel so hollow, I think the show would be perfect.
Well, also if they didn't pull the rug under SkullKnightmon at the very end. He earned his takeover and his brother was boring and disappointing.
>>
>>15706175
I always assumed the later portion of Saint Seiya Omega. since it literally had no merchandise, which seemed kind of bizarre since pushing merch is a huge deal for Saint Seiya.
>>
>>15716374
some say because of the attitude, the show-off, wanting-to-be-the-center and wants to beat the guy above him

>>15716389
the protagonist is Shoutmon not Taiki
>>
>>15716389
I didn't really think Taiki was any more or less developed than any other Digimon protagonist sans Takato. As usual, he's just there to make his partner do cool shit

Xros Wars put spectacle over plot and character regardless. It was undoubtedly the most over the top Digimon show we'll ever get
>>
>>15718172
Yeah it's kinda hard to top fusing with every digimon in the digital world
>>
>>15718172
>It was undoubtedly the most over the top Digimon show we'll ever get
Savers involved the main character punching god in the face
>>
I like how they tried to incorporate strategy before battle, rather than a typical "notice the key to victory during the fight" stuff most shows do
>>
>>15704560
At its core, digimon is all about family problems and the relationship between children and their parents expressed through the relationships between the children and digimon. Xros wars did less of this than any other series and was disappointing because of it.
>>
>>15718172
I would be annoyed that X7 Superior mode was basically only a really big version of X7, but its defensive rings of light were hype.
>>
>>15719520
Savers wasn't all that OTT apart from Masaru's antics. But with Xros Wars, I knew we'd be getting something special the first time we saw that Metal Greymon combination. They managed to make even the rival guy look flashy and ridiculous, but they didn't even stop there and did it with Dark Knightmon too at times
>>
>>15720357
>At its core, digimon is all about family problems and the relationship between children and their parents expressed through the relationships between the children and digimon.

It's certainly an aspect, but I wouldn't say it's "all about" that aspect. Even so, you can't get mad at a long-running series for trying something different. I thought the camaraderie between Shoutmon, Taiki and the rest of the armies was handled more than well enough.
>>
>>15720357
Nice headcanon

Also I love how people say "muh digimon relationships" when only Tamers barely started it.
>>
Xros Wars was a middle-tier series, but Shoutmon was the best Digimon partner ever.
>>
>>15724735
Hell yes he was.

>Celebrates their first victory together by getting his partner a lap dance
I was sold from that moment on.
>>
>>15724723
There were definitely elements of it in previous shows. Skull Greymon obviously wouldn't have been a thing otherwise
>>
>>15720357

I don't think that's really the case. Daddy and mommy issues sometimes gets focus episodes and have some degree of relevance, but ultimately at its core, just like the first season is named after, it's about the adventure.

That's why I couldn't get to like tamers, the other seasons made colorful and enigmatic digital worlds worth exploring and spend a good time exploring the mythos and lore of their settings through the journey. One could really feel the sense of adventure within them and it is always cool to see how alien or exotic the digital world is and the wacky adventures they have in that strange world.

I would say that from the adventure perspective, Xros Wars delivered as each zone had their unique aspects and made fun to wonder what kind of world they will visit next time
>>
i never watched digimon after season 2
>>
>>15732782
Do it, if you're interested.
Every season after 02 acts as a self contained series, except the sequel seasons like 02 and Tri. They're still digimon, but each of them tried to do something new and unrelated to the rest of them.

Tamers went the hard sci fi route and explores how a digimon story would work in a more real world scenario. This includes adult characters, a government agency which tries to study and contain digimon and digimon being their own characters instead of them being just character extensions for kids. It is known for having the best character development of the entire franchise.

Frontier went back to the adventure style format, but focused on the digital world and it's legends. It is a bit divisive, because it drops digimon partners (including levels) and "replaces" them by giving the kids the super sentai-esque ability to turn into digimon. The majority of the show is spent in the digital world, minus 3 episodes.

Savers is similar to Tamers, but isn't as dark. There is this governemt agency which tries to solve digimon incidents with the help of secret agents and their digimon partners. Compared to Tamers, the digital world is more organic with different communities like in Frontier. It is clearly meant for an older audience, because the main characters are in their late teens and there are more adult characters..

Xros Wars also wen the adventure route, but it ditched the level system and replaced it with combining digimon like they were mechs. This time, there are several kids who control digimon armies. Their goal is to beat the other guys and conquer the fragmented digimon world. What's surprising is that it's aimed at an even younger audience as the Adventure series and it doesn't try to hide it. For the first time, almost none of the characters get any development what so ever. And the story itself is light hearted. It has a continuation season, but it's a literal bland and shitty afterthought, making it worse that 02.
>>
>>15728387
It was only for that time, and never brought up again.

The only actual Digimon with personality was Gabumon and even then it was the shitty "my master right or wrong" that never developed.

Compare that to say, Shoutmon, who was a total brat turned into a legitimate leader.
>>
>>15733010
I love how you consider Digimon non-characters.

And yeah I do love children's shows that outright showed boob masturbation and boob lasers (yeah those stuff are actually no no for "younger" audiences despite what you think), visible impaling, child abuse, etc.
>>
>>15733128
There were tons of relationships with Digimon in Adventure.
Sora and Piyomon's differing personalities. Sora being a tomboy and Piyomon being clingy. Sora coming to the realization that she was just like her mother.
Gomamon being headstrong while Jou was a wimp. This caused them to argue a whole lot.
Patamon and Takeru argued tons too. Patamon even had that dilemma early on with not being able to evolve and protect Takeru. He eventually decided that he didn't care if he evolved or not as long as he could stay with Takeru.
>>
>>15733130
That stuff happens in kids shows all the time in Japan. They have different standards than the west. A lot of shows throw in fanservice for the older audience like Precure, Digimon and Yugioh. Xros Wars aired with a children block iirc. I know Precure aired with it. Gundam is also for children which is why parents complained about Mika killing those tied up people in one of the early episodes.
>>
>>15706204
YH could be made a lot more interesting and compelling in literally hundreds of different ways - when you're at rock bottom, there's nowhere to go but up.

>>15706467
The Diablomon episode was actually fairly competent. A villain actually does something that directly affects everyone, most of the important people get together to deal with it, there's a pretty cool Double Xros with Arresterdramon and Astamon that they use to take on Infermon, and then X7 comes in and shows that it hasn't lost a single thing in the season conversion. Then at the end it isn't just reversed to the status quo.

Shame that it was stuck in a bad show.

>>15706519
>My main problem that it was hard to tell if Omegashoutmon or Shoutmon X5 was stronger, and which form the episode picked seemed arbitrary.

X5 was weaker. X5B, it was arguable, as it had a lot of shit. But neither of them really did anything in the second half of the show. The real problem is how badly Omegashoutmon jobbed half the time (It's supposed to be about as strong as Zeekgreymon, maybe a little more, which gets proven when they fight. Makes sense. But against Dorbickmon it was worse than useless and Zeek fucking wrecked him, and it's not like there was something else contributing to that fact, so...)
>>
>>15733152
yeah cool personalities there, too bad they were so pointless and static that they never really affected the relationship other than making foils

>>15733165
no, Xros Wars was in a prime time then moved to a Sunday morning

those times were not like Pre-Cure and YuGiOh, they're more comparable to Pokemon and Anpanman, which had mild fanservice and not swinging boobs to masturbate.
>>
>>15733168
Even in Generals debut, Sanjo said that while Evolution is powerful, xrossing is still considered a trump card. It's why yeah, an X5B and X5 is stronger.

With that said OmegaShoutmon is more on mobility than raw strength. You can see it in his debut fight and the first ep of Generals. He lacks Zeek's raw power, but he makes up for it with his agility.
>>
>>15733177
>yeah cool personalities there, too bad they were so pointless and static that they never really affected the relationship other than making foils
That's all they needed and they were literally created with their partners in mind. They waited their whole lives to meet them. They didn't need large goals or anything.

>no, Xros Wars was in a prime time then moved to a Sunday morning
Kids shows come on at those times.

>those times were not like Pre-Cure and YuGiOh, they're more comparable to Pokemon and Anpanman, which had mild fanservice and not swinging boobs to masturbate.
No one masturbated in Xros Wars. It was still aimed at kids. Kids shows have upskirts, jiggle and shows like Dragon Ball and Shin-Chan show ass and penis.
>>
>>15733254
>That's all they needed

and that's why you go full autistic in Xros Wars, because the mons here are treated as characters than merely pet foils to bounce around

>Kids shows come on at those times

Not really, prime time varies in show age group, and Sunday morning is actually earlier than Super Hero time

>No one masturbated in Xros Wars

anon look up boob masturbation, a la that gif of Lilithmon groping her boobs as though she wants arousal

also I seriously hope you're not saying Digimon isn't aimed at children, because you're sounding more like a tri-fag, which you probably are judging by the posts earlier
>>
>>15733130
>I love how you consider Digimon non-characters.
Where did I imply that?

I do consider them characters. But let's be honest, sometimes they act like they're just plot devices. Take Starmons from Xros wars for example. Do you really think of them as being individual characters? Outside of 1 episode in the begining, I felt that they're a convenient plot device for digi xros.

As far as that "character extensions for kids" comment goes, do you really think that Agumon from Adveture had any personal goals/wishes and acted like it's own character than just mini-Taichi?
>>
>>15733271
>and that's why you go full autistic in Xros Wars, because the mons here are treated as characters than merely pet foils to bounce around
Most Digimon in Xros Wars aren't characters. Shoutmon is. Cutemon and Dorulumon have things going on. But most don't. They're just as one note as anyone else from any other series.

>Not really, prime time varies in show age group, and Sunday morning is actually earlier than Super Hero time
Dude, you just agreed with me. It varying in age groups doesn't mean shows aimed at kids don't come on there.

>anon look up boob masturbation, a la that gif of Lilithmon groping her boobs as though she wants arousal
One scene of Lilithmon doing that is fanservice for older fans. That doesn't stop the show from being aimed at children.

>also I seriously hope you're not saying Digimon isn't aimed at children, because you're sounding more like a tri-fag, which you probably are judging by the posts earlier
This is my third post in this thread. You're talking about someone else. All Digimon is aimed at children but some of the shows aim lower than others. Just like some Kamen Rider shows obviously aim for a younger demographic than others.
>>
>>15733271
>tri-fag
Red pill me on this. Are there really people who watched only Tri?
>>
>>15733278
Well yeah not everyone's gonna get screentime, especially the new recruits not part of the main xros or someone like Starmons, but your post pretty much just relies on humans. There's literally stuff about Baalmon/Belzebumon, Ballistamon, etc.

that's what I mean by character extensions anon, they basically have no personal difference

>>15733284
>one notes

except belzeebumon and mervamon have their own shit, as well as Greymon, Ballistamon, Dark Knightmon, etc. Sounds like you saw the secondary cast and assumed everyone is.

I wasn't disagreeing on you that it wasn't a kid's show, I was disagreeing on you that it has a younger audience (it didn't).

And what? No, they share a sweeping, wide demographic. You just don't magically alter your audience like that, especially when it's a merchandise show. Yes, Digimon is a merchandise show.

>>15733292
there are people who watched Adventure in their young ages, thought it was "mature than Pokemon", watched tri (forgetting that it was aimed for fans), and felt vindicated with the thought that "Digimon is for mature!"
>>
>>15733309
>except belzeebumon and mervamon have their own shit, as well as Greymon, Ballistamon, Dark Knightmon, etc. Sounds like you saw the secondary cast and assumed everyone is.
Beelzebumon's plot ended during the desert arc. His only other thing was his death. Mervamon's plot ended right after she was introduced and then she was relegated to the background. She didn't even defeat the General in her Land. Ballistamon had a plot that came out of nowhere and lasted one arc. DarkKnightmon was a villain. All villain Digimon get plots.
>>
>>15733318
No he didn't, he was still unsure about his stuff until the angel arc, and then became relevant again in the death generals arc

Mervamon had the brother arc, and then had the Nene connection and brother miniplot, which then had Belzeebumon arc

Ballistamon might have come out of nowhere but it establishes his personality, his role, and gave us Olegmon

my point is at least something happened to them significantly that lasted long enough rather than parroting their tamer's personality or being a foil, obviously they won't get as much screen time or development as Shoutmon
>>
>>15733010
>It is known for having the best character development of the entire franchise.
Still think CS does it better since it's able to manage it within the confines of a more complex (and cohesive) plot while not being as overly dark or outright dull as Tamers could get at times
>>
>>15733010
>It is clearly meant for an older audience, because the main characters are in their late teens and there are more adult characters..
Actually only Yoshino is. Masaru and Tohma are both supposed to be 14 as stupid as that is.
>>
>>15735896
Weird. They all look like they're the same age. Or maybe just a year apart.
>>
>>15733010
>the main characters are in their late teens
Masaru is 14.
>>
>>15736735
It is to pander to the middle school crowd, Kinnikuman Nisei did it too and all the characters are 6 foot+ and fucking ripped. They make late teen characters that look and act 17-18 but call them 14. It's just like how they pander to lolicons and trap lovers.

It's honestly a huge pet peeve of mine.
>>
>>15738620
I think it was refreshing seeing more mature characters like that in a digimon series, even if it was that form of pandering. Them being 14, but acting like they're 18 doesn't ruin anything.
Now that I think about it a seinen digimon series would be interesting.

>It's just like how they pander to lolicons and trap lovers.
These examples is a lot worse though. Characters like that end up being the most annoying part of anything. They all have that special snowflake type of vibe.
>>
>>15738642
>I think it was refreshing seeing more mature characters like that in a digimon series, even if it was that form of pandering. Them being 14, but acting like they're 18 doesn't ruin anything.
No I like the mature characters, I just hate calling them 14 for no real reason.

>Now that I think about it a seinen digimon series would be interesting.
Well Tri's success, and to a lesser degree Cyber Sleuth/Next 0rder's, is showing Toei/Bandai that Digimon can be made with an older audience in mind and will be received well. Maybe when Tri is done the next series will go even further.

>These examples is a lot worse though. Characters like that end up being the most annoying part of anything. They all have that special snowflake type of vibe.
It's just the similarity of draw a little girl and call it an old woman or draw a girl and call it a boy. It's just annoying that it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, acts like a duck, and then you tell me it's a frog.
>>
>>15738720
>Maybe when Tri is done the next series will go even further.
I hope it will. A more complex digimon story would be goat.
>>
File: gracenovamon.png (313KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
gracenovamon.png
313KB, 640x640px
why is this allowed
>>
>>15738791
>Fusion between two Greek gods
I don't know what you were expecting

About time the OXII got their own Omegamon anyhow. Maybe they can finally be relevant now
>>
>>15738720
Tri has shades of it, but I'd be up for a Digimon version of Hook.

>Gogglehead is a salaryman in his late 30s who had an Adventure-style story when he was a kid
>his kids get kidnapped and taken to the Digital World, so he has to go after them
>can't get his Digivice to work properly at first because he's forgotten his childhood energy, but his partner's gotten older too and naturally grew to Adult status to help carry them through at the start
>>
>>15738791
At least it isn't a blatant Omegamon copy like Chaosmon.
>>
>>15738856
Honestly, apart from the head hands thing, the other RKs feel closer to Omegamon than Chaosmon does.
>>
File: 1501598038980.jpg (118KB, 998x665px) Image search: [Google]
1501598038980.jpg
118KB, 998x665px
Happy Odaiba day, my fellow digital autists
>>
>>15704560
>This here was the greatest Digimon show of all time.
Not even close

>Super robot protagonist
Taiki acts nothing like a super robot protaganist

>You don't have to wait for the Mega level for a cool form
In fact you won't get a cool form at all

>Small, meaningful cast
The cast is horrible and poorly managed with one of the worst female leads in the franchise and a rival character that feels so incredibly rushed you wonder why is he even here

>Digimon combine like robots
Almost as stupid as punching Digimon

>Various situation are resolved through smarts, tricks and unconventional application of xrossing
Its not nice to lie
>>
File: 64176418_p0.png (529KB, 772x687px) Image search: [Google]
64176418_p0.png
529KB, 772x687px
>>15738791
What's wrong with it? I think it looks based.

>>15739148
Hell yeah. Happy (Odaiba) Memorial day!
>>
>>15739234
>Its not nice to lie
It did happen... two times maybe not including the finale which went crazy. Ironically, Young Hunters got more creative with its combinations.
>>
File: Dogatcheeman1871774030.png (82KB, 1229x849px) Image search: [Google]
Dogatcheeman1871774030.png
82KB, 1229x849px
I modeled this guy yesterday after I came across a similar drawing. Is it me or is Dogatchmon the son of Omnimon and Tekkaman?

>>15739234
>Its not nice to lie

Remember when Taiki combined the Pickmons into a rubberband that they then put on Ballistamon and used his horn as ironsights to launch Shoutmon accurately? Or when they combined the Pickmons with Dorurumon and made his drill into a helicopter?
>>
File: 58002019_p0.png (402KB, 700x1100px) Image search: [Google]
58002019_p0.png
402KB, 700x1100px
>>15742899
Seeing stuff like that makes me think reducing so many good designs to SD proportions was a mistake.
>>
>>15744775
Supers being SD made a for cool surprise when the Ultimates turned out to be "normal".
>>
>>15744775

I think it was a crap choice. Badass designs can't work with SD proportions. Plus you miss all the details.
Btw thanks for the higher res pic. I had it in like 90kb. Do you have any concept art or production sheets?
>>
>>15744775
I think the flow of child > SD hero > full grown hero > massive god works pretty well. Really brings the series back to its virtual pet roots.
>>
File: Dogatcheeman textured-1028474537.png (163KB, 1198x938px) Image search: [Google]
Dogatcheeman textured-1028474537.png
163KB, 1198x938px
And here is the model with simple textures.
>>
File: DoGatchmon_Back.png (1MB, 864x530px) Image search: [Google]
DoGatchmon_Back.png
1MB, 864x530px
>>15744856
>>15746318
>Btw thanks for the higher res pic. I had it in like 90kb. Do you have any concept art or production sheets?

Nope, sorry. I don't think any production sheets will be out for an art book gets released. At least there's none floating about that I know of.

But here's some decent shots of DoGatchmon's back, if that helps. Model's looking good so far, by the way.

>>15745040
Alright, you convinced me it wasn't such a bad idea afterall.
>>
>>15724723
What is Tai and Kairi you fucking retard
>>
>>15704560
DUDE GURREN LAGANN LMAO
>>
>Shoutmon X4 never got a Figuarts
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>15705468
>Strict power ranking
Renamon was a rookie level who used to take out Champions regularly.
>>
>>15748273
Fighting one above your weight class in a 1 on 1 fight has happened numerous times in Digimon. In Xros, however, child forms have fought on par with Perfects and Ultimates.

Also don't use dub terminology like rookie
>>
>>15704560

Definetively my favorite season. A lot of non /m/fags calls the shoutmon forms power rangers robot ripoffs but fuck those guys, I love all his fused forms
>>
File: 1501801630064.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1501801630064.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>15748309
None of the Xros Wars original Digimon technically even has a level. At no point is Shoutmon or Ballistamon ever said to be child level. They're small, yes, but so are Marine Angemon and Mamemon. And that's part of what I like about it. It just tells a story and doesn't have any autistic power level stepladder that it only sticks to half the time anyway.

Besides, nothing in Xros Wars was anywhere near as questionable as what happens in this video
>>
>>15748725
Shoutmon is Child level in every other form of media.
>>15748395
Most of Shoutmon's forms are hideous. He peaked at X5.
>>
>>15748743
Its profile in the reference book explicitly states that it has no level. And in every other form of media, it doesn't behave like Xros Wars Shoutmon anyway. It's repurposed to try to fit in among conventional Digimon by having it warp evolve into a pseudo ultimate level Omega Shoutmon as its evolution line even though we all know Omega Shoutmon was far from its final form.
>>
>>15748725

That's one thing I loved about Xros Wars. The no levels gimmick made much more viable to use otherwise very hard to fit mons like ancientvolcamon or neptunemon.

Also, gave us cool shit like digimon who in other shows are adults facing in even grounds digimon who in other shows are ultimate and similar stuff
>>
>>15748725
>Besides, nothing in Xros Wars was anywhere near as questionable as what happens in this video
what's the problem? Looks normal Masaru to me.

>>15748743
>Shoutmon is Child level in every other form of media.
in the original Xros Wars, Shoutmon is LITERALLY a child.
Evolution was absent(just lost in the manga, though), so Digimon would have to grow up gradually over time to power-up.

His form in Young Hunters is him as an grown-up, OmegaShoutmon is further in timeline form brought in the past by the miracolous power of Zenjiro's Friendship and Akari's Courage.
Upon witnessing it, Tactimon state it took him centuries to achieve his own current form, suggesting it's likely the equivalent of a Perfect or Ultimate form.
>>
>>15748794

Yeah, that's right. Tactimon did mention that when he was salty about being faced by an evolved Shoutmon.

I think it shouldn't be too hard to assign levels to the Xros Wars mons given their maturity and experience level in the show, and some like Baalmon and Mervamon are explicitly part of the evolution line of pre-existing mons who do have levels.
>>
>>15748819
except we have seen Cutemon's parents and they are just... older Cutemons.

Who no way is an adult.
>>
>>15748837

They would still be child level, just older, like how there's also child and eldery versions of some digimons in frontier as well.

It wouldn't be the first time the level doesn't fit with their looks, like how marineangemon looks like a baby I stage digimon and lilymon is perfect but looks like a teen while her previous adult form of Togemon looked like an adult
>>
>>15744824

How is Applimonsters? I haven't been paying attention to it because laziness and I honestly thought it looked like a Yokai Watch Cash-in due to all the Digimon being based on apps
>>
>>15749966
I haven't seen it either, but going off of what I've heard about it, the general consensus seems to be that it's average at best. Better than Digimon's worst seasons, has a few good moments, but nothing to write home about on the whole
>>
File: 0DSC_0957-(00000).jpg (175KB, 900x553px) Image search: [Google]
0DSC_0957-(00000).jpg
175KB, 900x553px
>>15748267
>OmegaShoutmon and ZeekGreymon are toyetic as fuck
>Toyline gets cancelled before Death Generals airs
>Shoutmon DX and X7 will never get figures outside of garage kits

I will ALWAYS be mad.
>>
>>15750140
I just want an X4/S/K that's actually good
>>
>>15738791
Why do you sound so negative?
This looks amazing
>>
File: 1490989111-0075-005.jpg (799KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490989111-0075-005.jpg
799KB, 1280x720px
>>15749966
>>15749996
As far as a standard monster of the week kids show goes, it's fun - provided you like the characters that aren't Rei and Hackmon.

The handling of Appmon powers is one of the shows strong points and once the plot finally starts happening it gets really good.
>>
File: Dogatchmon finished856036347.png (214KB, 1286x882px) Image search: [Google]
Dogatchmon finished856036347.png
214KB, 1286x882px
>>15747773

Thank you. I'd totally forgotten about the plugs on his back. Here's the final model. I can't bear to keep messing with it. The initial idea was to make something as complex as the models in the first Rumble Arena game and it ended up being my most complex model yet. Now to learn how to rig so I can pose it.
>>
File: 57305208_p0.png (679KB, 1100x1300px) Image search: [Google]
57305208_p0.png
679KB, 1100x1300px
>>15751727
Nice work, it doesn't look very early Playstation-ish. Can't wait to see what you do with it when it's rigged.
>>
>>15748777
The reference book is fucking stupid and contradicts facts in the show proper. Never cite that as a resource.
>>
>>15751374

Here my opinion of the series I wrote some time ago:

The series frankly as long asI do not think it’s bad, but I can not call it good. It has already been 30 more episodes and the story does not seem to walk, it is always a problem in the city that is solved quickly, the fights are horrible, fast and without any emotion, the characters need more development when the digimons they win new forms has no impact or sense of merit, the other series in this amount of episodes had already happened several twists and a sense of danger and the villains were more menacing and developed. I’m not saying the series is bad, but if I were to put it on my list of favorite series it would be in the penultimate place.
>>
>>15745040
Shoutmon did that much better.
>>
>>15757412
It certainly does not contradict anything in Xros Wars for Shoutmon specifically, though I agree that its profiles are questionable at times.
>>
>>15738791
Other than the peglegs it looks rad as fuck.
>>
>>15758257

Indeed. Although I can't help but laugh at some profiles that hypes the shit out of some mons, like how Leomon can tank anything or the infamous mugendramon being the most powerful digimon ever
>>
>>15759027
I swear it says that the profile for at least a quarter of all ultimate levels say that its the strongest Digimon ever. I wonder if that's just because they keep introducing new "strongest" Digimon and don't bother to update the old profiles. A lot of those profiles are copy pasted from other stuff to begin with
>>
>>15758257
>>15759027
>>15759055
Eh, it's all flavor text anyway until some media showcases those abilities, so might as well have fun with it.

Besides, I'm seeing "among the strongest" a lot more often with the current batch of profile translations, so either the original writers or the translators starting catching on to the repetition.
>>
>>15704560
How can it be the greatest Digimon show of all time when it wasn't digimon? Digivolution is a vital element to Digimon without it you might as well be watching some other mon show.
>>
>>15764025

But there is evolution, and it is considered super powerful. It's just that it is a reversal of how it worked in 02 and fusion was the mainstream evolution method while standard evolution was considered the special and unique evolution type unlocked halfway in the story.
>>
File: 42048800_big_p51.png (93KB, 359x600px) Image search: [Google]
42048800_big_p51.png
93KB, 359x600px
>>15764025
>Implying
Come on, now. You can do better than that.
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.