[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /m/, I'm looking into making a tokusatsu short, mostly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: kuuga.jpg (89KB, 850x566px) Image search: [Google]
kuuga.jpg
89KB, 850x566px
So /m/, I'm looking into making a tokusatsu short, mostly to get my feet wet, but I'm not here for story ideas or anything like that (thou if you want to shoot them at me feel free, I guess).

I'm here to ask what, in your opinion, makes a good toku? Action? Levity? Camp? Cool designs? SFX? All/none of the above?
>>
>>15688841
Designs are important for me I guess, and good action scenes. Plot doesn't have to be good but it needs to be consistent with itself.

and if I'm going to be honest cute boys are number 1 on my list
>>
>>15688841
Cool design and action scenes. The story doesn't have to be AMAZING but it also shouldn't be total shit. Camp is good sometimes.
>>
File: anno-ultraman.png (180KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
anno-ultraman.png
180KB, 640x360px
>>15688841
>makes a good toku?
Oto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eq5y-Dyg5k
>>
>>15688841
Why, the same things that make a good anything. So anything, but nothing specific.

I think you'll need to decide, before you put any real work into it, exactly what kind of result you're shooting for. I think Sun Vulcan is a great show. I think Masked Rider Kuuga is a great show. I think that mixing the elements that made these shows great together would result in an absolute piece of shit lacking the charm of either. There's no one set of elements that make good toku or good television, or good anything. What matters is that you know exactly what you're setting out to do and that you put all of your heart into it. I hope my post helps dispite not actually suggesting anything at all.
>>
>>15689908
Yeah, I get you. While I do understand and agree with that, it helps immensely to have someone say that to me, so thank you.

As for what result I'm trying to fish, well, I'd have to say something simple: I want to make something people would enjoy. Hence the question, I suppose.

>>15689047
Man, it had been a while since I last saw that. And it's true too, oto is an extremely important part of films and such - hence the audiovisual name.

I've been so focused on thinking of the visual aspect that I forgot to give sound a hearty consideration. Thanks.

>>15688898
>>15688879
Yeah, that's what I had figured, good to have some affirmation. Plot plays second fiddle to the "cool" factor.
>>
>>15688841
I like good designs, good action (I really enjoyed Kabuto for Kabuto's fighting) and a consistent plot. I'm pretty forgiving of plot, since I like stuff that I later come to find people think is ridiculous.

Anyway; I also like moodiness. Or rather, atmosphere. I prefer a lot of early Heisei shows because there's this distinct sort of... I don't know, bleakness? It's juxtaposed with how heated the Riders can get and it's just really nice. I'm not too much of a fan of super jumpy and colorful Neo Heisei. So I guess I prefer laid back stuff.
>>
>>15688841
I don't watch toku but I do like the aesthetic. I really appreciate clever practical effects. Or good environment effects in general. It doesn't have to be hollywood levels or anything. Just earnest and effective.
>>
>>15688841
>I'm here to ask what, in your opinion, makes a good toku?
You can ask this question to 100 toku fans and get 100 different answers. Don't make something you think others want to see, make something you want to see.
>>
>>15688841
For me the thing that makes toku great is character interaction. Be it ankh and eiji or a red and the villian all of my favorite toku shows have a heavy focus on character drama but that is also what I look for in everything

Don't think about what makes a good toku show, think about what makes a good show and then apply that to toku
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.