[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on Mazinkaiser vs The Great General of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (312KB, 1934x1088px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
312KB, 1934x1088px
What are your thoughts on Mazinkaiser vs The Great General of Darkness?

I really enjoyed it especially the music, but I heard some complaints, and I'm exactly sure what they are.
>>
It wasn't nearly as good as the Toei version from the 70's. The animation in the original was gorgeous, and it had a huge cast of robots with tons of fighting. It's basically a perfect super robot movie.

Koji doesn't even get in Mazinger Z until the movie is over halfway over. All the stuff with the Mazinger Army was as pointless as ever because no one gives a shit about those characters.
>>
>>15676381
The main issue is that the Mazinger army gets introduced out of nowhere just to die. It'd have worked better if they only used established characters.

There's also how completely one sided the final battle is once Mazinkaiser appears. They could have brought the Emperor of Darkness to power up the general, or some other excuse to give the final battle a more satisfying conclusion. It was even more one sided than Mazinkaiser's battles in the OVA series somehow.
>>
>>15676722
>All the stuff with the Mazinger Army was as pointless as ever because no one gives a shit about those characters.
>The main issue is that the Mazinger army gets introduced out of nowhere just to die
But that's how it was in the manga. It's not about you giving a crap about them. They died to showcase the strength of the Mycenae empire.
>>
>>15676381
Why does that creature between Great and Z's legs look like it's from Spongebob
>>
>>15676381
It has some amazing music by JAM Project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TemJZYCc5bc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jq2yDske98
>>
>>15676764

In the manga that makes sense, since they're hyping them as big foes for the entire Great Mazinger story, but the movie is all about the supporting cast sacrificing themselves while Kouji gets to the Kaiser, and then effortlessly crushes the Mycenae. So, any build up about their strength is pointless.
>>
less bad than mazinkaiser but still bad.
>>
>>15676764
And the manga sucks. Your point?
>>
>>15678222
Mazinkaiser was fine.

>>15678766
The manga is fine, Mario. Your point?
>>
>>15676381
pretty cool anime movie, better than the series to a degree
>>
File: mazinkaiser.jpg (239KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mazinkaiser.jpg
239KB, 1024x768px
>>15676381
Not very good, which is a shame because the original Vs. Ankoku Daishogun is awesome.

The Gate of The Hell is fucking incredible, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TemJZYCc5bc
>>
>>15676381
Better than the original.
>>
>>15676381
one of the worst things I've ever watched

also really annoying that Tetsuya is for whatever reason back to using the prototype Great Mazinger instead of Shin Great for no apparent reason, leading to him getting the piss beaten out of him in the remake of his own movie
>>
Is that the one that's basically 40 minutes of minor characters getting killed while Kouji tries to get to his robot, then when he finally gets to it, he curbstomps the villain in like five minutes?

Not very good, I'd say.
>>
>>15684588
>>15684623
What's wrong with it? I enjoyed it more than the majority of Gundam OVAs.
>>
>>15685000
>What's wrong with it?
They explained why they don't like it

> I enjoyed it more than the majority of Gundam OVAs.

what the fuck does Gundam have to do with anything?
>>
>>15685042
>They explained why they don't like it
They didn't.
>>
What's with this remake meme? This movie is NOT a remake of Mazinger Z Vs. The Great General of Darkness and I don't see how anyone is coming to that conclusion. It doesn't even attempt to retell that story, it's a brand new original story with a very different point.
>>
>>15685668
It has a similar title, just replacing Mazinger with Mazinkaiser, and premise with the rise of the Mycaene Empire and everyone falling against them during most of the movie. Obviously everything else is very different, but that's not rare for remakes.
>>
File: 1447341972228.jpg (263KB, 1000x715px) Image search: [Google]
1447341972228.jpg
263KB, 1000x715px
>>15685693
>Obviously everything else is very different, but that's not rare for remakes.
You got that right.
>>
>>15685042
Not him, but I agree with him so I'd try and expand -

The Great General of Darkness story is, traditionally, a Tetsuya/Great Mazinger story - they're his villains.

On top of it being changed to no longer be Tetsuya's story, he's actually actively depowered from his status at the end of Mazinkaiser so he can job to the Mycane to show how serious business they are.

Like, it's actually a good scene but as someone who thought Tetsuya was one of he best things about Mazinkaiser, it was bit of a shit change.
>>
>>15685714
>The Great General of Darkness story is, traditionally, a Tetsuya/Great Mazinger story - they're his villains.
To be fair, the VS General of Darkness movie was always Kouji centered. The original movie was about Mazinger Z's cast in a seemingly hopeless struggle against the Mycenae, but one where Kouji plays a much more active role than in the tv show, destroying several of them in different battles by himself before falling, even if it was always clear he couldn't win the war and the sortie for the last battle is basically portrayed as a suicide run.

In the original, Tetsuya appears in the last few minutes to rescue Kouji, but even then, unlike in the tv show, Kouji still got to fight back against the Mycenae with the Mazinger Blade after the Great Mazinger arrives, rather than just fall unconscious and leave everything to him. They also didn't even bother keeping Tetsuya's VA consistent with the tv show. The focus of the movie was clearly Kouji.
>>
I'm about half and half on the absolute curbstomp at the end. Part of me think it's just shitting on everyone who jobbed in the movie even more, but I also think it's kind of rad and Mazin Kenzan's probably influencing my opinion on that.

A lot of the rest of the movie is trashy regardless like other people have said though.
>>
>>15686216
Look at it as Kouji's revenge for being curbstomped at the end of Toei Mazinger. The very first Battle Beasts he takes out with Mazinkaiser are one that destroyed Mazinger in the final episode of the 70s anime.
>>
>>15686231
Yeah, that's part of why I like it. Going out of their way to make Tetsuya get shit on by his own signature enemies to make Kouji look better is still a bit much, though.
>>
>>15684588
>back to using the prototype Great Mazinger instead of Shin Great for no apparent reason, leading to him getting the piss beaten out of him in the remake of his own movie
This shit made no sense. They would have had to make a new regular Great anyways, wouldn't they?
>>
>>15685075
I guess choosing to ignore half the things people say must make conversations pretty interesting.
>>
>>15686237
It's been a while since I've watched it, but I'm pretty sure Proto-Great wasn't destroyed, just beat to shit from an already busted up state before Tetsuya left to recover and eventually came back with Shin Great.

Proto certainly could have been repaired, but having Tetsuya downgrade back to it still makes no sense
>>
It's meh, and I liked the super robot wars w version of it better.
Keep in mind that was only 2 stages out of a 53 stage game based on an entire movie
>>
>>15686275
It's because it takes place in an alternate timeline altogether, isn't it?

Still makes no sense from a writing perspective, but it technically makes it work from an in universe perspective.
>>
>>15676381
Not as good as the original Mazinkaiser OVA but still fun and the final curb stomp battle between Kaiser and Ankoku Daishogun is worth it.
>>
>>15676764
Yeah, but they hardly needed to spend basically the entirety of the movie except for the last five minutes showcasing the strength of these guys. Just show Z and Great getting trashed or something, don't bother with fucking Baion Beta.

>>15686300
It's almost certainly a separate continuity, and it makes perfect sense for just that reason. The "Shin" Great Mazinger is just the Toei version at its full power, whereas the "prototype" is just the manga version. Following from that, the first time Tetsuya fights the Myceneans, Great Mazinger, even in the Toei show, only displays as much power as in the manga version. The Great Mazinger we get in the movie is a reflection of that.

The really stupid thing about the movie is Mazinkaiser being kept in an orbital satellite. As awesome as that made its entry, Professor Yumi could have just deployed Mazinkaiser directly to Kouji during his vacation at the beginning of the movie and it all would have been over in a few minutes.
>>
>>15686243
I read th whole thread and no one is saying anything other than they don't like it.
>>
>>15686334
Kaiser wasn't ready at the time, was it? I thought it was in space being refit with it's new Super Alloy Z Omega or whatever it got
>>
>>15686334
Still had to get to the pilder didn't he
>>
>>15686334
>Yeah, but they hardly needed to spend basically the entirety of the movie except for the last five minutes showcasing the strength of these guys.
>don't bother with fucking Baion Beta.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Baion Beta, Daion Gamma and Million Alpha all died before and during the opening credits. They weren't there for the whole movie.

>Just show Z and Great getting trashed
Z didn't show up, since it was already trashed in Mazinkaiser, but did you miss the opening credits where Great and Venus A were also getting trashed?

I think it's ridiculous that the complaint is about the Mazinger army when they appeared in like one 10 second scene at the very beginning. They could have replaced them with the military getting BTFO, it wouldn't have made any difference. You're NEVER supposed to give a crap about them. The point was to show that the Mycenae Army was fucking strong. That's all.

The opening credits was amazing anyway, with everyone getting trashed right and left, while the gates of hell played in the background.

>>15685714
>The Great General of Darkness story is, traditionally, a Tetsuya/Great Mazinger story - they're his villains.
No? How about you actually watch the movie and stop making shit up?

Mazinger Z vs The Great General of Darkness is not a Great Mazinger story. Great Mazinger only appears at the end to save Mazinger Z, but the whole story is centered around Kouji.

In that movie, Mazinger doesn't fight The Great General of Darkness, so it's a misnomer. The Great Mazinger TV series is where Great fights the Mycenae Generals.
>>
>The feeling when this movie actually is not in the same universe as the ova.

Fucking why!?
>>
>>15676722
>All the stuff with the Mazinger Army was as pointless as ever because no one gives a shit about those characters
>>15676746
>The main issue is that the Mazinger army gets introduced out of nowhere just to die
The Mazinger army in general is one of the worst parts of Mazinger. They show down everything and are a slog to watch. The only good thing about them is that Lori and Roll are hot. Honestly every iteration of the actual Mazinger army is shit except for the original manga that pulled no punches and properly murdered them to make the enemy come off as powerful and to motivate Kouji.
>>
File: MazinkaiserMovieEnd.jpg (21KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
MazinkaiserMovieEnd.jpg
21KB, 640x352px
>>15676381
I liked it quite a bit. It's a completely different beast than the original movie, but it's very good. The visuals were definitely a downgrade from the OVA. Also, unlike the OVA, it really depended more on the viewer being familiar with the story of Mazinger Z.
But overall, it was extremely well executed. The tension is set from the first minute of the movie and the soundtrack is JAM perfection. The frantic get-to-mazinkaiser pace of the movie manages to keep the tension of the situation while avoid being a slog, with plenty of action and character moments throughout the movie. Mazinkaiser's entry is glorious. The final portion of the movie is just one long amazingly savage decimation of evil at the hands of an enraged Kouji and Mazinkaiser, definitely one of the most satisfying sequences I've ever seen. Ishimaru's voice work is really strong throughout the OVA, but to me some of his best work ever as Kouji is in those final moments of the Mazinkaiser movie. I think the movie served as a fitting end to his long career as the Superman of Japanese giant robot pilots.
>>
>>15686582
The complaint isn't just about the Mazinger army, it's about how basically the entire movie is nothing but "showing that the Mycenae army is strong" until the end where they all die in no more time than it takes for Majin Kenzan to play. Up until that point, it's just
>All the Mazinger side characters lose
>Kouji goes from place to place only to find that everywhere he goes has already been destroyed
ad nauseum

And if you had read the rest of my post, you'd know that I'm fairly sure that the movie is an alternate continuity, one where original Z might still exist
>>
>>15686582
>Baion Beta, Daion Gamma and Million Alpha all died before and during the opening credits. They weren't there for the whole movie.
I retract this statement. What I meant is that Million Alpha dies in the opening.

Daion Gamma and Baion Beta died later, but still, their scenes are so short they're insignificant.
>>
>>15687361
>All the Mazinger side characters lose
Great and Boss didn't.

>ad nauseum
Professor Morimori's final stand was a pretty cool scene.

>you'd know that I'm fairly sure that the movie is an alternate continuity, one where original Z might still exist
I doubt Mazinger Z will exist in any of the continuities you're proposing.

The Mazinkaiser OVA starts with the trashing of Mazinger Z right off the bat. The omission of Shin Great is most likely an overlooked mistake than the director genuinely wanting to deviate from the OVA.
>>
>>15685702
That's not a remake either. It's a brand new show telling a brand new story, merely (mostly) reusing an old toy design. You're really stretching the definition of remakes here. It's more of a sequel (and the word sequel does not necessitate continuity)
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.