[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let us rank these shows. Who do you think are the best characters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: mecha_anime-3244.jpg (542KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
mecha_anime-3244.jpg
542KB, 1024x1024px
Let us rank these shows. Who do you think are the best characters? What are the best designs in the genre? Which series was the most fun to watch or read? If you think of any other questions feel free to implement them into the conversation. Interested to see what the community thinks.
>>
>>15673857
Why these shows specifically? Why the arbitrary mix of entry-level and irrelevant? Why TTGL twice? Why?
>>
Getter Robo is the best.
>>
>>15673857

Let's see:

>Gargantia
Decent enough. Amy was a tutorial NOT how to write a romantic lead, Leto was boring but had decent character development, world building was hit and miss, and the Gargantian came off as brain damaged at times.

>Gundam I don't recognize

>Another mech I don't recognize
Is that a VVV? Can't tell

>EVA
Hard to say much about it since opinions are so polarized. I personally thought it had excellent direction, solid characterization and action, horrible plot, muddled all attemps at conveying the story, and bad character development.

>Guyver
Which one? Only seen the OVAs. fun for what it is.

>TTGL
Same deal with EVA. First sixteen eps was classic super robot show, brilliantly executed. Other have of the show is just a mess. The Super robot vs Despair aspects of the first part of the arc were badly executed, and the space arc was just awful, despite how beautiful the Dream Sequence ep was, it wasn't enough to save it. The ending was particularly infuriating as it mocked the the very same super robot tropes it lovingly homaged, and left a bad taste in my mouth. Great, but flawed show.

Is that Battle franky from one piece? I guess he's /m/ but the show isn't, so no review here.

>Another gundam I can't recognize
I'm bad at gundam heads.

>Eureka Seven
Despite the filler it was a fun show, and I liked it, but it was very flawed.

>Shin Mazinger
Imagawa is going to Imagawa man. There are a ton of legitimate complaints about the show (The pacing, the side characters imported from other series showing up the main characters, ruining Boss's role as comedic relief, etc) but it still makes up for it when the high points are just that high. The ending is frustrating though.

Another bot I don't recognize

>GL again
Wut?

>Heroic Age
Invincible Space godzilla's bashing each other in the face. An absurdly wonderful space opera once you get over the same face.

>Purple Iron Man face
Is that Gargantia again?

>Unicorn
Finally one I know.
>>
>>15674134
>Another bot I don't recognize
The Guren from Code Geass
>Is that Gargantia again?
I think it's Majestic Prince
>>
>>15673873

Gargantia is also on there twice. This thread is shit.
>>
File: 1490333719384.gif (336KB, 500x468px) Image search: [Google]
1490333719384.gif
336KB, 500x468px
>>15674134

>Purple Iron Man face

That's Striker from the end of Gargantia.
>>
>>15674134
>There are a ton of legitimate complaints about the show
Yes, there are complaints about the show, but the things people complain bout aren't objective complaints.

>The pacing
This is how Imagawa rolls. He likes flashbacks, he likes expository dialogue with the narrator repeating stuff, he likes events that take their time to occur. That is his narrative style. I love it, some people don't but it's merely a preference in the end.

>the side characters imported from other series showing up the main characters, ruining Boss's role as comedic relief, etc
Shin Mazinger being in the Mazinger franchise is not the show's fault or the director's fault. Imagawa was hired to reboot Mazinger, and reboot he did. The staff was pretty clear that it wasn't going to be like the TV series. Again, a preference, not an objective complaint.

>The ending is frustrating though.
Another preference, because other than the plot point about Great and Zeus' temple, the plot was resolved. Imagawa ended it in spectacular fashion, but this is again, a directing choice that makes sense that all the events were building up to.

The complaints about Shin Mazinger seem all to be fanboy shit like "baaw not muh zinger", or "baaw why did they change this". It shows the illiterate side of the kind of people watching it.

I got introduced to Mazinger via Shin Mazinger, and I have nothing to say about the complaints you listed. I enjoyed Imagawa's unique narrative style as well as the addition of side characters, because I didn't experience the previous tv series at the time and thus had 0 expectations on what Mazinger should and shouldn't be.

How come I don't see people actually complain about the LEGIT problems about Shin Mazinger, like the animation production values which aren't great, and are inconsistent or the plot that Imagawa introduced had some timeline holes?
>>
>>15673857
Is this list made by /a/?
>>
Also, I watched other mecha shows while Shin Mazinger was airing, like TTGL, which I didn't about at the time, and the other Go Nagai mecha OVAs like Mazinkaiser.

TTGL was alright, but wholly standard and safe, even more so with Mazinkaiser. In a sense, I got super spoiled by Imagawa's narrative that I still find every other mecha show or non mecha show I watch even to this day too straightforward in their execution.
>>
>>15673857
>General Franky
>2 Gurren Laganns
>2 Gargantia bots
>Guren Seiten instead of Lancelot or Shinkiro
You didn't even watch those shows, you just typed "mecha anime" in google, right?
>>
File: IMG_0423s.jpg (256KB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0423s.jpg
256KB, 1136x852px
>guyver out of fucking nowhere
please don't use him for shitposting purposes, having the translations be done by one restrictive group and that the manga is in hiatus is enough suffering
>>
>>15674353
Smell your own farts and choke to death on them you pompous shiteater.
>>
>>15674557
Kek.

Go back to Mexico, Pablo.
>>
Shin Mazinger was a masterpiece.
>>
>>15674676
No thanks, Mario.

>>15674678
10/10 shitpost.
>>
>>15674700
You're just retarded
>>
>>15673977

Probably omitted from OP because obvious winner.
>>
>>15674353
>
The complaints about Shin Mazinger seem all to be fanboy shit like "baaw not muh zinger", or "baaw why did they change this

Well it's a good thing none of the points I listed are that, now isn't it?

>This is how Imagawa rolls. [...] but it's merely a preference in the end.

Wuxia inspired plots and fights are how Imagawa rolls. In media res is how Imagawa rolls. Bombastic side characters are how Imagawa rolls. Not letting you invalidate a real complaint with the 'preference' card. Bad pacing is bad pacing. It's especially egregious in this case since Imagawa has had series that are properly paced in the past. If we are going to shit on Kawamori for wasting time on having an ep about chasing panties, and then cramming everything in the last few eps, it's only fair to hold Imagawa to the same standard. Even the stuff stuff you mentioned with plot holes could have been addressed with better pacing.

>He likes flashbacks, he likes expository dialogue with the narrator repeating stuff,
And none of those are pacing issues. I'm not criticizing his narrative style. I'm criticizing him for pacing. Yes other shows are far worse, and it's a minor issue, but it's still an issue.

>Shin Mazinger being in the Mazinger franchise is not the show's fault or the director's fault.
Not the complaint I had.

> Imagawa was hired to reboot Mazinger, and reboot he did.
Fair enough, but the problem with Boss is they ruined his character that they established from the very episodes they introduced him in. Maybe complaining about the Kurogane five getting more time than the other cast is a nit pick too far, but breaking your own universe building is pretty bad. Perhaps if they explained why Boss was kowtowing to Tsubassa when they made a big deal of him being headstrong and independent in earlier episodes it would flow better, but they didn't. Again, not a preference, a clear mistake on the staff's part. A minor one, and I admitted as such, but still a real issue.
>>
>>15673857

I really really liked Heroic Age
>>
>>15674353
My only exposure to Mazinger has been Shin Mazinger, and it was pretty terrible. It felt like a total mess where the producers were just trying to shove in as many plot twists as possible without consideration for anything else.
>>
What's the thing at the very bottom on the far right?

>>15674134
>I'm bad at gundam heads.
That's Wing probably, could be G
>>
>>15676149
Pretty sure that's Wing. God Gundam has a white camera frame.
>>
>>15675679
>Bad pacing is bad pacing
What part of Shin Mazinger was "bad pacing"? You haven't said anything.

>I'm criticizing him for pacing.
So how come I had no problem with the pacing and could follow the show fine? What the fuck does that mean?

>Fair enough, but the problem with Boss is they ruined his character that they established from the very episodes they introduced him in. Maybe complaining about the Kurogane five getting more time than the other cast is a nit pick too far, but breaking your own universe building is pretty bad
What? Boss was introduced as a loser from the beginning, and only redeemed himself after kowtowing to actual experts of battle. Literally nothing wrong with what Imagawa did. He turned losers into winners.

>a when they made a big deal of him being headstrong and independent
Nope. Which scene did we establish that? He kidnapped Shiro, and got his ass handed to him pretty quickly.

>A minor one, and I admitted as such, but still a real issue.
No it's not an issue. In fact, you're the first person I ever heard complaining about this. It's a non issue.

>>15676146
>were just trying to shove in as many plot twists as possible
That's your own problem considering there were only one or two plot twist. Not "many".
>>
>>15675679
>Even the stuff stuff you mentioned with plot holes could have been addressed with better pacing.
You don't even know which plot hole I'm talking about, and these holes have nothing to do with pacing.

>Imagawa has had series that are properly paced in the past.
You're bullshitting. G Gundam wasn't better paced than Shin Mazinger. In fact, the show stalled for so long before even moving on to the main plot. This is bad pacing.

Shin Mazinger barely stalled, other than the recap of 22. Can you name me a dialogue or event which wasn't necessary in the plot?

Even when I look at stuff like Getter Robo Armageddon, what Kawagoe did with post episode 3 stalled the show for a lot longer than anything Imagawa ever did on Shin.
>>
>>15673977
>>15674987
Watch as Pedro and his friends get triggered at this.
>>
>>15675691

It got a lot of things right throughout the show. Its only failure was that the most powerful Heroic Tribe member, was an entity capable of obliterating everything; and was shoehorned into a loli. All that said, Bellcross going into mental chaos was simply the best. It was glorious when the Silver Tribe kept bitching at what's her face about why she hadn't killed him already, only for the entire race through that one moment, be put in their place. By having been told that basically everyone dies and is utterly fucked when anything is done to endanger whatever Bellcross wants to protect.
>>
>>15678522
>Not liking Yuti
>>
>>15678522
>Its only failure was that the most powerful Heroic Tribe member, was an entity capable of obliterating everything; and was shoehorned into a loli
That's the best part.
>>
>>15678522
>You can manipulate time why don't you just
>BITCH, I DID THAT! 20000 TIMES! NIGGA STRAIGHT UP MURDERED EVERYTHING!
>Surely he couln't
>BITCH, I SAID EVERYTHING!
>>
>>15678522
It's failure was having unimpressive fight scenes for the first half and having Dhianeila resolve almost everything through negotiation because the show didn't have the balls to kill anyone off.
>>
>>15678656

We had a fight where a teleporter dropped bombs next to a zurg hive and bounced out and the negotiation shit actually made sense for the themes of the show
>>
>>15678660
Fuck those ant hives, not once were they a threat. It was fucking target practice for Belcross from episode 1. Doesn't matter whether the negotiation made sense. It was still boring as shit to watch.
>>
>>15678668

Why don't you go and watch a nice gundam show then, it might be more your speed
>>
>>15674134
>can't recognize Exia
Holy shit this is sad.
>>
Gundsm Wing is best robot
>>
>>15674353
G Gundam, and Tetsujin are two of my favorite mecha shows, probably top ten or so.
I think shin mazinger is a flaming pile of shit. It doesn't just HAVE flashbacks, it has like five episodes dedicated to a single flashback.
>>
>>15681883
Objectively wrong. Shin Mazinger is a masterpiece and G Gundam is a flaming pile of shit that dragged on for far too long.

I agree with Tetsujin 28 being good, but its second half sucked, so it's still not as good as Shin.

Giant Robo > Shin Mazinger > Tetsujin 28 > shit > G Gundam
>>
Giant Robo - Masterpiece. Great ending.
Shin Mazinger - Production issues, but still masterpiece. Ending is godlike.
Tetsujin 28 - Strong individual episodes, but as a whole, the overarching plot went nowhere. Ending still good, but predictable.
G Gundam - Started good, peaked with Master Asia, but then proceeded to become really shitty with the very badly done tournament and shitty fights that went on forever. Good ending though.
>>
>>15681886
You can't say someone's opinion is "objectively wrong". Just acknowledge we have different tastes and fuck off. Tetsujin> G Gundam> Giant Robo> Shin Mazinger.
Although I will concede the Tetsujin movie was fucking terrible.
>>
>>15681893
>G Gundam over Giant Robo
Officially insane.

Just from a visual perspective, Giant Robo shits all over G Gundam,
>>
>>15682076
>visuals mattering at all
>>
>>15682089
and everything else of course.
>>
>>15678522
I love how when he got angry Bellcross just became a space landshark
>>
File: 8X8.jpg (2MB, 2109x2105px) Image search: [Google]
8X8.jpg
2MB, 2109x2105px
>>15673857
Nice rec thread.
>>
>>15674179

Im not going to make a chart but more people should watch Majestic Prince. It's just really nice to see a show where the drama doesn't come from everyone being retarded assholes.
>>
>>15683112
Watch more mecha anime, that's all I can say.
>>
>>15683112
>Majestic Prince. It's just really nice to see a show
Said no one ever
>>
>>15683164

don't you have an Active Raid thread to go shit up
>>
>>15674510
Guyver sucks anyway
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.