[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started this. First metal gear game I'm playing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

I just started this. First metal gear game I'm playing. Does it get any better? What's with the gay ass dialogue. It's cringeworthy
>>
Translated dialogue always has oddities.
>>
>>15672701
overwrought dialog is one of the hallmarks of the MGS series
>>
Meant to post this in /v/ my bad guys
>>
>>15672723
Well at least you posted a series that's very solidly /m/
>>
If you take the stick out of your ass, you might actually enjoy yourself.
>>
>>15672701
>not playing in release order

you're doing vidya wrong
now go back and play MG1 and 2, MGS1 and 2, and then snake eater
>>
>>15673035
It really doesn't matter
MGS3 is the best game in the series anyway; it's easily the best entry point
>>
>>15673035
MG1 and 2 are honestly optional.

Now don't get me wrong, I love MG2, but MGS1 literally spends about half it's plot telling you about the events of MG2, and it has almost all the really notable sequences updated into 3D.
>>
>>15672701
gay ass dialogue huh?
>>
Cringe... worthy?
>>
>>15673493
Metal Gear 1 is pretty unnecessary since it barely had a story, but Metal Gear 2 really laid down the setting and all you get told about it in MGS1 is that Snake killed Gray Fox.
>>
>>15673493
>>15673761
ps it also had the most /m/ intro of any video game ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGxUkubKjg
>>
MGS3 is easily the least /m/ Metal Gear game. MGS2's engine is pure sex. Too bad about the autism incarnate story.
>>
>>15672701
>Hmm, I'm interested in this series. Where should I start, I wonder? Oh, I know! With PART 5.

That said, gameplay wise that one is the best, as long as you aren't using the rotatable third person camera that re-releases give it. That's babby mode.
>>
>>15675685
It's not as if MGS3's story requires any context to enjoy. Hell, it's not as if the overall continuity of the series is worth a rat's ass anyway especially considering every single game that came out after MGS3 was a clusterfuck and every game that came out before it except for MG1 rehashed the exact same plot
>>
>>15673035
>skipping Snake's Revenge
But it can even be canon now since MGSV added the twist that there are two Big Bosses so the Cyborg Big Boss could just be Venom.
>>
>>15675685
What's with this stupid idea that if a game has decent controls and camera system that its somehow worse off for it.
Must be more of /v/'s retardation.
>>
>>15673031
What are you on about, you autist?
>>
>>15675782
>What's with the gay ass dialogue. It's cringeworthy
>>
>Youre pretty good tier:
Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, MGS3, MGS5
>Kept you waiting huh? Tier:
MGS1, MGS2
>Snake had a Hard Life tier:
MGS4
>SNAKE, CLIMB INTO THAT TRUCK ON THE RIGHT tier:
Metal Gear 1, MGS Peace Walker
>>
>>15675727
>Completely misunderstanding the point of Venom
Play MG1
>>15673493
>MG1 and 2 are honestly optional.
>Now don't get me wrong, I love MG2, but MGS1 literally spends about half it's plot telling you about the events of MG2, and it has almost all the really notable sequences updated into 3D.
Shut the fuck up. MG2 is the best game i the entire fucking series. MGS1 is extremely unimpressive if you play these in release order or chronological order, rather than murrican nostalgia fag order
>New gameplay mechanics in MGS
sniper rifle, leaning against walls... Aaannd that it. I had fun but I could tell it was relying heavily on being three dimensional to "wow" players of its day
>>
>>15676016
any of the 3D games shit all over the 2D games in terms of gameplay, kys
>>
>>15676031
t. never played metal gear 2
Metal Gear Solid 2 had almost exactly the same gameplay, just with a 3d perspective
>>
>>15676052
er metal gear solid 1
I hate it when franchises change the numbering halfway through
>>
>>15676016
I think MGS2 is, to put it bluntly, a masterpiece in terms of game design. It really felt like every aspect of the game was tied into what Kojima was trying to say through it and it's predecessor. I think it's too short though, you're just getting into it and boom. Arsenal Gear.

MGS3, I feel, was a turning point in the series. It was giving fans what they wanted, in complete defiance of what the previous messages. Pure freaking fanservice. The player presses through it, only to in the end become Big Boss. The ending is the start of his downward spiral into becoming the series villain, almost like a warning to players to let the series go. They didn't and we get games where Big Boss is the protagonist as he spirals further. In 4 Solid Snake compromises his beliefs, can buy ammo easily, disguise himself as a faction to align with them to achieve objectives easier and dies while Kojima gives unsatisfactory answers to old questions. The only really good character development is Raiden's in Rising, who stops running from his past, accepts who he really is and carves out his own identity far removed from trying to be Solid Snake. His development only started in 2.
>>
>>15672701

I'd hate to have a sense of humor so deformed that I couldn't enjoy MGS's wonderfully goofy writing.
>>
>>15676052
>acting like adding a whole extra dimension doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest
It must suck to have those rose-tinted glasses permanently welded to your face.
>>
>>15676089
The thing about MGS2 that almost ruins it for me is the non-sensical powerlevel argument between Ocelot and Solidus towards the end about who rused who.
>>
>>15673048
>It really doesn't matter

Yes it does. Every single Metal Gear game has callbacks to the previous release beforehand. Metal Gear Solid 3 has several alludes to the plot of 1 and 2 that will fly over your head if you play it first.
>>
>>15676089
MGS2 has terrible game design mostly due to the environments being ill-suited to the gameplay mechanics. It's a stealth game that throws you into a bunch of open areas with nowhere you can effectively hide yourself. Not every map is like that, but pretty much every connecting bridge is. And for the maps that do have hiding places, they're so narrow as to force usage of the Soliton radar, which you now have to manually activate for no reason whatsoever. And that's not even getting into all the backtracking that goes on.

>>15677285
None of which are required to understand MGS3's relatively simple plot and none of which mean anything in terms of series continuity. At best, they're in jokes that are no longer relevant and weren't even funny to begin with.
>>
>>15677502
lol sounds like you suck at MGS2
did you even do pull ups?
>>
>>15675769
Because the game was designed to be played WITHOUT that ability, genius. Adding it breaks the difficulty so hard.

>>15675694
>It's not as if MGS3's story requires any context to enjoy.
It absolutley does. It's full of refrences to previous games and can not stand alone at all. This 'prequels are fine to experience first' meme is baffling. This game's plot is nothing without MGS1 and 2, which themselves are nothing without MG1 and 2.
>>
>>15678072
>which themselves are nothing without MG1 and 2
lol
>>
>>15678072
>Because the game was designed to be played WITHOUT that ability, genius
I don't care.
Shitty camera controls ruin games, especially if the game is set in an open, outdoors environment like MGS3.
>>
>>15678085
lol yourself, lolposter. MGS1 is the game that relies the hardest on the previous game in both plot and design, to argue that would be the height of idiocy.
>>
>>15678087
No, new game breaking abilities added to rereleases ruin games. The difficulty involved in detetcting enemies is what makes MGS3. You had to make use of your very limited detection tools and the first person view which forces you to stand still and put yourself at risk to see who's around. Take that away and it's barely even a stealth game anymore. You can just run through without a care. No, that camera makes the game a joke and it is not better off for having it.
>>
>>15678091
Careful not to cut yourself on all that edge, laddie.
>>
>>15676971
It doesn't. The game is effectively a top down 2d field 95% of the time. Height almost never comes in to play.
>>
>>15678105
it's like how first person shooting from MGS2 breaks Twin Snakes
>>
>>15678120
Meh, if I'm playing a cinematic "game" then I'm probably not missing anything gameplay-wise. MGS2's tediousness avoided this but perhaps not for the better.
>>
>>15678072
>It's full of refrences to previous games
It isn't, you twat. Only two fucking characters even come from previous games (and yes, I know it's technically four, but the other two are almost completely irrelevant). At worst, a new player won't quite understand what's up with Ocelot. Nothing else requires any context whatsoever

>which themselves are nothing without MG1 and 2.
Back in the 90s when it first came out, no one, and I mean NO ONE complained that MGS1 was too hard to follow because they weren't able to play 2 old MSX games that weren't in English at the time. And it's the same fucking deal with that game. Only 3 characters return from a prior game and the only thing you miss from not playing those games is not knowing who Grey Fox is. Even the whole shit with Master Miller is easy enough to infer from MGS1 itself.

Is this some next level trolling going on here?
>>
>>15678129
>Back in the 90s when it first came out, no one, and I mean NO ONE complained that MGS1 was too hard to follow because they weren't able to play 2 old MSX games that weren't in English at the time
Because they didn't know any better. And pike off, I could tell I'd missed a game and didn't like it one bit.
> the only thing you miss from not playing those games is not knowing who Grey Fox is.
...He's a pretty bloody significant character.
>>
>>15678128
MGS has some really great gameplay
you're missing out
>>
>>15678153
All Grey Fox even does in terms of plot is rescue him from Rex at the end, and I suppose give him a few tips along the way. He doesn't have anything to do with FOXHOUND's plan and he has barely anything to do with your side of the operation either. The only reason he's even there seems to be to explain who Naomi is; he feels real tacked on otherwise. Besides given what happened to him, he's basically a completely different character in MGS1 than he was in the previous two games anyway
>>
>>15678091
>MGS1 is the game that relies the hardest on the previous game in both plot and design
What. MGS2 is LITERALLY patterned after MGS1 and this fact is integral to the narrative and the meta-narrative.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.