[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is Carl Macek, creater of Robotech and singlehandedly made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

File: carl_macek___rip_by_kuragiman.jpg (95KB, 600x899px) Image search: [Google]
carl_macek___rip_by_kuragiman.jpg
95KB, 600x899px
This is Carl Macek, creater of Robotech and singlehandedly made anime popular in America. Say something nice about him.
>>
>>15663848
I hope his death is quick and painless and very, very soon.
>>
>>15663848
Hi, looking forward to see you blow Tomino and Gundam away singlehandedly.
>>
He died.
>>
>>15663854
He's been dead for 7 years buddy.
>>
He's burning in anime hell.
>>
File: 1404764097431.jpg (440KB, 1750x1237px) Image search: [Google]
1404764097431.jpg
440KB, 1750x1237px
I have no doubt he was a good man, and I applaud him for his ingenuity and creativity with Robotech(Being able to create something that was cohesive and understandable out of three unrelated shows is quite a feat, especially one that has had such staying power, at least up until recently), but his company(Harmony Gold) is shit, along with Robotech and everything else Harmony Gold produced.

I do feel sorry for him and am sickened by how Harmony Gold uses the ol' "Macek's vision!" schtick to sell crap to the five south american fans they have left.

I want Macross to come into the lime light already. It has the potential. It could sweep the western world.
>>
>>15663848
>Say something nice about him.

Did a damn good job on Dunbine.
>>
>>15663848
I still don't understand what Robotech is. I watched some of it on TV as a kid, declared it shit, and found out decades later it was a reedit of Macross or something I still don't know
>>
In case it's new information for someone, http://www.cornponeflicks.org/harlock/harlock1000.html is pretty interesting to read.
>>
>>15663980
>It could sweep the western world.
you're delusional brosef. Macross died literal decades ago and the corpse being paraded around now is just that; an empty reminder of something that once was relevant
>>
>>15663994
Here's a green text version
>Macek gains the rights to broadcast Macross
>Finds out they didn't copyright it in the US
>He copyrights it as robotech
>Completely hamstrings anything Macross being released iin America because they'd have pay Macek and his company Harmony Gold royalties.
>Macek than gains the rights to two other seperate shows.
>Smashes them together with Macross to make it look like it's all part of the same series.

tl;dr
Robotech is 3 shows combined to be one and copyright laws in American buttfucked Macross from being released here.
>>
>>15664118
That's not entirely accurate.

They gained three shows around the same time with the intent of airing them and marketing them separately but TV laws at the time required 65 episodes for syndicated broadcast.

Also only one of them is really unrelated. Genesis Climber MOSPEADA is unrelated, but Southern Cross was still part of the Super Dimension franchise that Macross eventually overtook. Even if storywise it's unrelated. Orguss was planned but some kind of right issues popped up that lead to GCM taking it's place.
>>
One does not simply merge the macross series into one whole show. That's like if fox kids and the digimon movie. Also, neohuman Casshern was a train wreck imo.
>>
>>15664010
I will never understand why they didn't just trim 10 episodes worth of footage from each series and run one after the other. Both definitely had episodes that could be spliced or dropped. But it sounds like they didn't even pay somebody to watch both series all the way through first, much less even translate them.
>>
>>15664148
>was still part of the Super Dimension franchise

Those shows had zero correlation from start t finish.
It was just a 'cool name' they used to mark the shit under the same company.
>>
File: space-adventure-cobra-(1982).jpg (351KB, 1068x1515px) Image search: [Google]
space-adventure-cobra-(1982).jpg
351KB, 1068x1515px
I don't have much love for Robotech, but I like a lot of Streamline dubs (pic related especially) and appreciate his role in bringing over Dunbine.

>>15664118
>space nazi apologist/ZZ-denier getting all the details wrong
Really gets the noggin joggin
>>
>>15663994
I have never seen a single episode and understood it fine.

I do like reading Robotech threads for all the stupid bts stuff and HG's shitty practices. That and as an argie I find it funny you always blame us.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
reminder that this is the face of the new robotech fandom

>macross2.com all laughing
>>
>>15664319
Yeah I said as much. What's your point?

Storywise they're unrelated, but the original plan for Robotech was to use the Super Dimension franchise. Just because Macross was the only one that took off doesn't mean the other two weren't once part of the same franchise.
>>
>>15663980
>Being able to create something that was cohesive and understandable
Haha, well meme'd
>>
>>15664039
Would you mind trying that again in a way that makes sense?
>>
>>15663980
>but his company(Harmony Gold) is shit
Harmony Gold is shit, but it wasn't Macek's company. He was hired to do a job, and he did it very well.
>>
>>15663848
I like how he is now just like Robotech: dead.
>>
>>15664118
>>Macek gains the rights to broadcast Macross
>>Finds out they didn't copyright it in the US
>>He copyrights it as robotech

Robotech aired in 1985. HG didn't copyright Macross until 1999. None of the Japanese owners could be bothered to copyright Macross for almost 20 years? Guess what, even in Japan, the rights for Macross are a mess.

And again, Carl Macek =/= Harmony Gold
>>
>>15664865
>>15664865
But he made perfect sense. Macross has two worthwhile entries (The original, and DYRL), one mediocre entry (7), and then pure absolute trash that the Macross fandom attempts to justify.
>>
>>15664989
No one seems to grasp that this is the biggest issue. They just shitpost. HG is shit but they're not really at fault on their own. They're not blocking Frontier, or 7, or Delta. They'd have released them both uncut and edited at this point if they could have.

Studio Nue, Big West, and Tatsunoko basically fucked this up from the start because neither one was on the same page when it came to this franchise and licensing.
>>
>>15664991

>Macross Plus
>trash
>>
Thank you Dr. Frankenstein
>>
>>15663848
No he didn't. Pokemon and Dragonball Z made anime popular in America.
>>
>>15663848
It's probably impossible to get any whiter than having a career built on racist laws without being an actual slave-owner. So he's like a modern-day Founding Father of the American animation industry.
>>
File: 1486601528570.jpg (28KB, 541x545px) Image search: [Google]
1486601528570.jpg
28KB, 541x545px
>>15665056
what did he mean by this
>>
>>15665004
>Studio Nue, Big West, and Tatsunoko basically fucked this up from the start because neither one was on the same page when it came to this franchise and licensing.

It comes down to Studio Nue. They didn't budget accordingly, and when Tatsunoko bailed them out, they defaulted on the loan, so Tatsunoko sold the foreign rights to HG.

Big West is just Studio Nue by a different name, because they can't do business as Studio Nue anymore.

HG copyrighting "Macross" is shitty, but consider the alternative: literally anyone could have copyrighted it at that point. They are obligated to protect their Robotech property, and having Macross remain without a copyright is a threat.

>ITT: HG is awful, but they still have their shit together more than Studio Nue or Big West
>>
>HG copyrighting "Macross" is shitty, but consider the alternative: literally anyone could have copyrighted it at that point.

That's not even true. The US had joined global copyright agreements maybe five years ago at that point, so Nue's IPs were actually theirs and theirs alone EVEN in the US. Six years before that yes, anyone in the US could've claimed the IP for themselves and told HG and Nue to go fuck themselves, first come first served.
>>
Childhood is hating Macek for altering Macross, Mospeada and Southern Cross and calling it his own show
Adulthood is hating Harmony Gold for cockblocking fans of these franchises worldwide to this day
>>
Nobody really believes Robotech made anime popular in America, right?
>>
>>15665155
>HG copyrighting "Macross" is shitty, but consider the alternative: literally anyone could have copyrighted it at that point.
Why are HG apologists so retarded?
If Macross copyrights were such a clusterfuck in Japan, why the FUCK is Kawamori and Satelight still pumping out new Macross shit and referencing the older shows on the regular?
>>
>>15665183
>That's not even true. The US had joined global copyright agreements maybe five years ago at that point, so Nue's IPs were actually theirs and theirs alone EVEN in the US
So how did HG get that copyright?
>>
>>15665257
>Nobody really believes Robotech made anime popular in America, right?
It was the first anime I ever saw, and led me to seek out other (better) stuff. There's no "one thing" that made anime popular. If you were a kid in the 60's, it would have been astro boy, if it was the 70's it might have been speed racer or starblazer. 90's kids had DBZ and sailor moon.

OP is being a troll, but I think Robotech was important. There's no reason anyone needs to watch it ever again, but it just reflects the time it came out in.

Macross is subbed on Amazon Prime, so it's not like people don't have alternatives.
>>
>>15665321
They only have it because they have not been challenged in court for it. The crux of the issue is Japan is very insular and doesn't really give a shit about the World Market for animus.
>>
File: Rick Hunter.jpg (19KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
Rick Hunter.jpg
19KB, 256x192px
Robotech was really big back in the times of Japanimation, but hardly the most prominent. Speed Racer, G-Force, Voltron and others were definitely more well known and influential.

However, Robotech still played a big part in acting as a gateway into more 'hardcore' and obscure anime that was available in America. It was a bit more appealing to the teenage crowd than Speed Racer, etc.

I grew up on Robotech, though it was far from my first experience with anime. The legal rights concerning Macross are a mess, but I've heard of HG getting in the way of Macross releases in both America and even Italy. I don't know if it's all true, but if it is then that's terrible. However, Robotech, despite being a mashup, was still an entertaining mess of a series and I enjoyed it for what it was back then in its historical context. It was a different time for Japanimation.
>>
>Wishing death and burning in hell on someone who was just doing their job over a stupid cartoonfrom 30 years ago

Why are Macross fags just the absolute worst
>>
>>15665347
>The crux of the issue is Japan is very insular and doesn't really give a shit about the World Market for animus.
Just curious, is this also Carl Macek's fault?
>>
>>15664989
They did not copyright Macross, they trademarked it.
The difference is a copyright expires after a certain amount of years. A trademark never expires.

HG just pulled a dick move.
>>
>>15663848

Harmony Gold deserves hate. Carl Macek was just someone working in the TV business who probably actually liked anime and was trying to find some way to get networks to actually show it. I mean, at worst, he turned a bunch of kids onto Japanese cartoons or at least let them see something more interesting than the usual shit.
>>
>>15665562
If nothing else his Dunbine fanboyism impresses me to this day, even if it probably ended up hurting his dub of it more than it helped it.
>>
File: 1466550938_17caf8e0f7.jpg (73KB, 418x467px) Image search: [Google]
1466550938_17caf8e0f7.jpg
73KB, 418x467px
>>15665562
oh, we sorry
>>
>>15663848
The original dub of Akira is far better than the later re-dub.
Also I love how buttblasted the moewaifufag macross fanbase is about him even though HG's fuckery doesn't actually stop them from buying merch and pirating all the new shows.
>>
>>15664118
That's a rather one-sided hateboner viewpoint you have there. Maceck wanted to dub Macross because he loved it. Unfortunately you just couldn't syndicate a 36 episode series on american tv in 1985. It was too short. He added the other two shows to it for the sole purpose of getting Macross on the air. The second problem is that you could not syndicate a cartoon in 1985 that didn't have a toy line to sell. And Revell Toys had already bought the rights to produce toys and models of the SDFM mecha and was marketing them in their "Robotech Defenders" line. Since Revell wouldn't change the name of the toy line, Maceck had to change the name of the show to match the toys or he couldn't have gotten it on the air. After making these two concessions, he did kind of run wild with his idea of expanding the story further (since Kawamori was not interested in making a sequel to Macross) into a 365 episode time-loop that would end with Zor launching the SDF-1 toward earth, which would lead into the first episode again. It was a cool concept, though the closest we got to an actual fleshed out version of the storyline was the McKinney novels which get pretty ridiculous at times.

You are correct that HG are money-grubbing cockblocking scum, but that's to be expected since they're a real-estate firm. Maceck talked them into financing the whole wild ride because he didn't have the money himself, and they squeeze every penny they can out of their licenses and trademarks because they're bankers who give zero fucks about anime. That's why Robotech Academy was a kickstarter operation: HG was not willing to sign off on it unless there was 0% chance of losing money.
>>
The poor sod wanted to bring anime to the states. Unfortunately he chose Harmony Gold to help him.
>>
>>15663848
F
>>
>>15663848
He experienced in hiring lawyers.
>>
>>15665371
Literally any other fandom would do the same if their shit was prohibited from US soil.
>>
>>15663955
/m/?
>>
He's not as evil as Haim Saban.
>>
>>15665879
Aren't they owned by that Egyptian guy now? The one with terror links?
>>
>>15666902
Yes
>>
>>15665726
I thought the end of episode 365 was supposed to be Rick Hunter telling a group of graduates the story, and then being asked to tell it again and so he starts over.
>>
>>15666552
Yeah like 10 fucking years ago. Import sites have been selling the toys and merch for years now just fine. And the anime being blocked doesn't matter because no one who complains would likely buy it. They often don't even know the original has uncut releases.

HG is shit but Macross fans are total babies.
>>
>>15663943
>and we at robotechx.com are all crying
>>
>>15667365
Are you shitposting or are you for real?
>>
>>15665013
>Macross Plus
>Trash

Fuck you, Information High is the best Macross song hands down
>>
I hope Harmony Gold and Macek's estate hold onto the Macross trademark forever. I love seeing Macross fans getting this mad.
>>
>>15665027
No they made it popular with our generation. Before that Voltron, Robotech, and a few others were big.
>>
I really don't think he had a big hand in making anime popular in the West at all. No kids back in the 80's knew that Robotech, Voltron, or G-Force were Japanese shows and none of them would have cared if you told them. There was an extremely small niche of hardcore nerds in the 80's/early 90's that were into anime but these shows didn't really have anything to do with that. It wasn't until later in the 90's when Manga Entertainment started releasing uber-high quality OVAs like Macross Plus and Ninja Scroll that a wider audience began to understand what anime was, then it truly exploded with Toonami when younger audiences started getting into shit like DBZ and Sailor Moon.
>>
>>15663848
He must've been good looking in his younger years
>>
>>15667365
Nah, HG's owner has links to former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and got charged with him on tax evasion.
>>
My brother owned a big series bible/art book of Robotech that contained the first anime nipple I ever saw
>>
>>15667665
>No kids back in the 80's knew that Robotech, Voltron, or G-Force were Japanese shows and none of them would have cared if you told them.

Yes, kids in the 80's knew that giant monsters and robots came from Japan. If you were a fan and wanted to see more, you looked out for it. Japan's bubble economy was the American boogeyman of the 80's, so there was a lot of attention called to things coming from Japan. Conservatives were afraid they were brainwashing American youth and.. well they totally called that one.
>>
Very unpopular opinion, but I thought his dub for Dunbine was pretty fun.
>>
>>15665684
The original dub has it's moments but overall I think the later dub is better, if only because Joshua Seth's performance as Tetsuo is perfect. Cam Clarke fits Kaneda better than JYB though.

All that said Macek had pretty much nothing to do with the original dub, Streamline just acted as distributor.
>>
>>15663848
Better than michael bay i guess
>>
>>15667392
Again, any fandom would be in Macross' current state if it suffered HG's wrath. It doesn't matter when, results would be the same. Worse if that was the case with, say, Gundam, which is better than Macross.
>>
>>15667648
Am I the only one in the world who remembers the fact that Astro Boy, Tetsujin, and Mach GoGo all aired in the US around the same time as Japan? The first anime magazine was called Starblazers, after American Yamato.
>>
>>15670446
Macross' is current state is due to the shows all being garbage past the original and DYRL though. There's some good music mixed into the other shows but nothing else about them is redeeming.

It's not a good franchise.
>>
>>15667392
i don't give a shit, I can't get english translated macross videogames and that upsets me.
>>
>>15664148
Orguss was TMS-made, unlike the 3 series that became part of Robotech series, which were Tatsunoko-made
>>15671025
>>15667648
I do too.
Beside those anime series mentioned, there were other anime that were aired in US before Robotech and Voltron showed up, like Mazinger Z (both Hawaiian and botched dub), Blue Noah, Kimba, Prince Planet (Uchuu Shonen Popi), Wonder 3 (Amazing 3), Few early Toei anime movies, Gaiking, Grendizer, Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets and G-Force), TIme Bokan (Time Fighters), Getter Robo G, Danguard Ace, and some Matsumoto shows (Starzinger, Captain Harlock)
>>
>>15663848
Ok.
>>
I'll say the same thing I was always taught to say.

God Bless Carl Macek; may he burn in hell.
>>
>>15664118
>buttfucked Macross from being released here.
Macross has been released here multiple times though.
>>
>>15667392
The anime isn't even blocked, it's streaming on Amazon prime right now and the only reason some other Macross entries haven't been released is due to music rights making it cost a ton to bring it over unaltered or compose an entirely new soundtrack.
>>
>>15674199
just ignore the multiple subbed SDFM releases going back to VHS
and Macross II
and Macross Plus
and Super Space Fortress Macross, the dub of DYRL that was released by Best Video
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.