[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand why Try isn't as liked as the first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

File: GBF_Try_poster.jpg (111KB, 334x450px) Image search: [Google]
GBF_Try_poster.jpg
111KB, 334x450px
I don't understand why Try isn't as liked as the first Build Fighters series. So far I'm enjoying the characters just as much as Sei and Reiji, and honestly the fights are much more exciting. So far to me it's just G Gundam with toys and zero annoying 90s anime quirks.
>>
>>15662142
You are wrong.
>>
>>15662147
I disagree with you.

Also the battle music is better too. That Gandabada song is hype as fuck.
>>
>>15662151
You can disagree with me all you want anon, you still wouldn't be any less wrong.
>>
>>15662154
Try is a good series.

If that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right.
>>
A more objective observation is that the original show had a slew of 'rival' type characters who would grow along with the characters and followed them throughout the progression in the show.

There are a few characters like that in Try, but they usually end up being left behind shortly after their reveals. Minato and Saga were the only two who felt like they had any staying power and even they get brushed under the rug by the end.
>>
Characters are much flatter. The interactions that made the first set good are absent. Battles are disappointing and poorly choreographed. 3v3 is handled badly. Focus on Gundam as a franchise is gone. Music is recycled outside five or six tracks. Harem antics add little to the series. Sekai just plain sucks and doesn't change or grow at all.
>>
>>15662177
>Characters are much flatter.
[boob joke omitted for clarity]
>>
>>15662177
It's like it was made from a checklist of "things in shounen anime" and "superficial parts of previous series".
>>
>>15662142
People don't like it because it focuses too much on gunpla battles and not gundam references
>>
Fumisloot is why people like try.
>>
BAIT
>>
>>15662238
Every thread you see people saying how trash fumislut is.
A more accurate statement would be people watched Try because of Fumina's body.
>>
>>15662254
You are correct
Was watching a guy mod fumina on yt and he just spent most of his time rubbing his thumb on her breasts. Was kind of disturbing.
>>
>>15662177
Sekai is literally just Reiji but with martial arts.
>>
>>15662295
Reiji grows as a person over the course of the series. He learns what Gundam is about, what makes it special, and the many ways people can express their love for it and enjoy it. Sekai stays exactly the same person through the entire series and any growth is basically either Fumina or Glasses, with most of it going to Glasses.
>>
File: 47464688_p0.jpg (143KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
47464688_p0.jpg
143KB, 640x800px
>>15662254

>Implying people watching Try are not arguing whether Gyanko is thicc or fat

>>15662232

Even with all the legitimate criticisms agains Try (which there are plenty of), you forgot the "rose tinted glasses" /m/ had with S1 despite it flaws and depending on who you ask they will defend it as a 10/10 FLAWLESS MASTERPIECE because how S1 panders to Gunotas properly
>>
File: 48016644_p0.png (773KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
48016644_p0.png
773KB, 1000x1333px
>>15662431
Try absolutely pales in comparison to S1 but at least we can say it had Gyanko who is just a miracle of the universe.
>>
>>15662295
>Sekai is literally just Reiji but with martial arts.
If Sekai only ever acted like a bratty child that would be an accurate statement. Since Reiji is generally a pretty cool, hot-blooded protagonist who is actually fairly smart and reasonable, and Sekai is more or less the opposite of all but one of those things...
>>
>>15662450
>Since Reiji is generally a pretty cool, hot-blooded protagonist who is actually fairly smart and reasonable

I watched BF last week and this wasn't the case. Both Reiji and Sekai are introduced the exact same way

>What's Gunpla?
>Sounds lame
>Oh wow this is pretty cool
>I'm naturally talented at Gunpla!

There is no change beyond that point. Reiji was also "not reasonable" at all. He was a complete blunt motherfucker.
>>
>>15662142
Niggee this show went full annoying harem
>>
>>15662274
Link pls
>>
Try's problems are pretty much all rooted into the 3 man team system.

That's 3 times as many fighters. You have to divide the screentime that each individual character got to shine in GBF by three. And that's quite simply not a very promising equation, considering that show already had a pretty big cast of characters.

Really, if you took the first series, aged all the kids up a bit, replaced China and Mao with Fumina and Gyanko, and replaced the Star Build Strike with the Burning Gundam, you'd have what I think would be the ideal version of each show
>>
>>15662366
>>15662177
>Protagonists must have character growth for the show to be good
Back to Tvtropes with you
>>
>>15662608
Ao was not the protag. Gourai was.
>>
>>15662142
At least the new ZZ Gundam was sugoi as fuck. He was really amazing and was without stupid flames all over the body.
>>
>>15662586
To add to what that anon said, in addition to the bloated cast of characters, the pacing is really off.

In Build Fighters, they established rivals early and had people show up, but not fight. "I am going to take that guy down!" It set up long term goals and battles to look forward to.

In Try, very little is introduced early and there's a lot of time wasted with "We finished this, what do we do next?". New character gets introduced, new unit gets introduced, there's a fight, on to the next new character and new unit. No buildup. No depth.
>>
File: 1445139510150.gif (131KB, 478x329px) Image search: [Google]
1445139510150.gif
131KB, 478x329px
>>15662142
having to focus on 3v3 fights made them less dynamic and less focused than the fights in Build 1.

Anon >>15662173 also hit the nail on the head, the lack of good rivals that came in early and stuck around really made it hard to have any attachment to the world presented this time.

Also the 3v3 thing wound up panning out pretty poorly in the end, with some fights being 1v3's or just 1v1's with all of the extraneous team members being knocked out or just pushed off screen.

Music was still ace, and most of the designs were still really great.

The biggest part for me was the lack of a genuine connection to the Gundam franchise as a whole. Build 1 felt like it was in on the joke of the absurdity of gunpla being battle toys and the franchise existing as it does in real life. Try didn't have that connection for me, Try felt like they were playing it too straight as a shounen tournament series. As a result for me at least a ton of the charm the previous series had was absent from Try.

The Main 3 characters didn't really endear me to the same degree Reji and especially Sei did. That little scene in GBF1 where Sei just pops off about the Wing Gundam was so hugely important to setting the tone and execution of GBF and i feel like moments like that were missing or sometimes completely absent from Try.
>>
>>15662155
Its not a good series,
just because you like it doens t mean its good.
I like allot of bad movies that make no sense.

So you can like it all you want, but you like a bad series. its oke to have shit taste. but dont pretend that shit taste is good because you like it.
>>
>>15662807
Just because you dislike it or the series has flaws doesn't make it bad.

Like seriously, people nagging on the series because characters weren't going into autistic detail about Gundams.
>>
>>15662811
It's ok to like bad things anon, it's not like it's a character judgment when people don't like things as much as you.

(it totally is though and you should stop getting so mad)
>>
File: 63693265_p3.jpg (212KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
63693265_p3.jpg
212KB, 800x1000px
>>15662431
>Implying people watching Try are not arguing whether Gyanko is thicc or fat

Whatever you want to call her, she can also be described as simply perfect.
>>
>>15662177
>Focus on Gundam as a franchise is gone
Which is good.
>>
File: questions.png (464KB, 1358x631px) Image search: [Google]
questions.png
464KB, 1358x631px
When the Dom got shot through the chest why was Build Burning not scratched at all? It literally went THROUGH the gunpla. Why didn't Hoshino just show Sekai G Gundam?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (2MB, 1920x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
2MB, 1920x2160px
>>15664122
Because this is a video game on a practice mode and these are holographic effects.

Remember when the gyan got carved in half with a diagonal beam sabre slash but all that happened to the model was that the arm, torso, and waist were separated at the polycap?

>Why didn't Hoshino just show Sekai G Gundam?
The character and his fighting style are already a huge nod towards G Gundam, the writers surprisingly decided not to double down and go for any overt references to G Gundam.

Which is a relief because halfway through the show, some people were already getting sick of his fighting style and lack of change.
>>
>>15664122
>Why didn't Hoshino just show Sekai G Gundam
I'm absolutely convinced the Try characters don't know anytihng about Gundam other than it is a series where robots fight each other.
I swear these assholes aren't Gundam fans like Sei at all.
>>
the show became garbage with shia.

trying too hard to grab the lonely basement fat otakus and it worked for these reasons:

>not dressed like a slut like fumina
>reserved, quiet
>an uwu girl when needed
>nya
>voice actress is hatsune miku

then the rest of the show became a weird harem with fatko, fumibust, and shiloli, and then you had the weird degenerates that wanted mirai to also bang sekai.
>>
>>15662575

The difference is that Reiji bothers to learn and we had Sekai riding shotgun to balance the scales
>>
>>15664166
You'd have a point IF they hadn't introduced the damage level gimmick specifically to force extra amounts of artificial tension into each fight.
>>
>>15664198
It didn't work. Shia seems fairly unpopular compared to Fumina and Gyanko if you look at the fan works produced.
>>
>>15664206
There were already variable damage levels in S1. The only thing that Try did was assign an actual quantifier to it so it was clearer when higher damage levels were in effect.

Remember when Sei and Reiji carried home the BSFP's plastic shards in a baggie?
>>
>>15662811
>or the series has flaws doesn't make it bad.

Yes it does. It quite objectively does. Flaws are bad, anon. If you don't mind a flaw that's one thing but that doesn't mean it's not there.
>>
>>15663155
>simply perfect.
You mean fucking ugly?
>>
>>15662823
>Nuh uh, it's bad because I say so!
>Doesn't even provide reasons why
>>
>>15664235
Quality bait right here
>>
File: 1417030223454.gif (2MB, 738x450px) Image search: [Google]
1417030223454.gif
2MB, 738x450px
>>15664226
Maybe if your taste is shit.
>>
>>15664206
>specifically to force extra amounts of artificial tension into each fight.
What the hell are you talking about? That had nothing to do with the tension during each fight. The damage levels were predetermined, all of the entrants going into the fight already knew that they risked having their gunpla reduced to shreds in the event of a loss, no one was freaking out mid-battle trying to save their Gunpla from being damaged.

The only character that was really bothered by it was that guy who was using the Mega-Shiki, his precious self-made custom model was annihilated in a previous tournament.

You must be thinking of the particle level bullshit, where the Build Burning was nearly never in danger of running out and could expend particles in each martial arts technique like there was no tomorrow. Other fights like the one with the Crossbone Gundam had shitty fight storyboarding because it didn't do a lot but was supposedly running low on particles the entire damn time because of how "monstrous" in battle it was supposed to be.
>>
>>15664238
please, if that monstrosity is what you call good taste, then I'll take everything and anything you call shit.

I'm not even trying to stir the whole Gyanko discussion or the stupid thicc meme, I just genuinely think she is a horribly looking and stupid character.
>>
I really wanted to love Fumina. She has such a cute design and the fact that she is a gunota with the ambition to win competitions by her own volition is cool. But... she just feels so blank in practice.
>>
>waifu faggotry
Is this /a/?
>>
>>15664216
Yeah, and that was after one of the most brutal, deadlocked, and climactic battles in either show. Try attempted to up the ante by making that possible in literally any fight, which is a stupid and transparently cheap way of raising stakes. Instead of writing in opponents who were actually threatening, now any fucking retard who gets off a lucky shot can total your gunpla. Of course, the only way to write fights then without constantly sinking your heroes into costly and time-consuming repairs is to make them completely one-sided slogs, which is what we got.
>>
>>15664253
In GBF the damage levels were an important part of Sei's character. They made a point of showing that one of the big internal conflicts of his character was his fear of having his models damaged. It was an aspect of his character that a lot of people could really sympathize with; not wanting to risk damaging something you built.

In Try they were basically F1 teams just changing out tires and watching cars flip out and self destruct like it meant nothing, because in Try it actually meant nothing.
>>
File: 1497778974273.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1497778974273.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>15664250
You must have missed that Neo Ranga thread recently.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.