[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of the metal frame of the anti-ship swords

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: Untitled.png (589KB, 931x520px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
589KB, 931x520px
What's the point of the metal frame of the anti-ship swords in the Cosmic Era? Is there an in-universe explanation for why it's there when all it does is serve as a weakpoint that allows an otherwise basically indestructible weapon to be destroyed?

Shouldn't a standard beam saber be enough to cut through ships to begin with?
>>
My guess is that since the tip is a blade it could be for stabbing through that funky anti beam coating they like to slather all over ships.
>>
>>15660938

They have more force to better pierce thick armor.

Shinn is only able to make a small cut in Stella's Destroy (cutting into the cockpit but not deep enough to hit the pilot or make it any difficult to control) and Kira has to jam his sabers right down the barrels of the main cannons to finally take it down (and even then it mostly just blows a big hole in it)

Meanwhile with Destiny's Ship sword, he's able to slice right through them.

It also helps against physical shields. Freedom's shield could resist tons of saber hits, but the Excalibur goes right through it, and Destiny also casually cleaves right though both a Gouf and Akatsuki's physical shields.

But there's the trade off that you can break the physical blade.
>>
>>15660938
Surely it would be to generate a stronger beam. The whole thing is an emitter, I would say.
>an otherwise basically indestructible weapon
Beam sabres aren't lightsabres, they bounce off things and go wobbly sometimes. They're far from being either an unstoppable force or immovable object.
>>
>>15660938
I always figured it was to make the saber stronger by making the containment coils stronger. Instead of one small containment field generator in the hilt projecting a column out away from itself, you've got an enormous one one running the whole length of the blade and projecting the containment field just slightly off to the side of it. So larger generator plus smaller distance it's projecting the field means the containment field is stronger and you can fill it with hotter, denser plasma without risking a breach. And because of that, it's more powerful and can cut through ship-grade armor more easily. We know that the anti-beam coating in the Cosmic Era is pretty good, while I don't go with that whole "beam sabers can't parry beam sabers in SEED" nonsense it's definitely the case that physical shields can parry them. On a ship, where the need to keep the armor plate something light enough that a mobile suit can maneuver it around its body easily isn't a factor, they're probably got pretty good anti-beam defenses.
>>
>>15661001
The retardation is that Kira's beam shields are able to stop catch Destiny swinging the anti ship sword.
>>
Cosmic Era conventional beam sabers maintain their form through magnetic particle field manipulation, it likely can't maintain coherence for a beam 3x the length and with higher intensity and needs the frame
>>
>>15660938
forget it, like asking why superman wears his underwear inside out.
>>
>>15661006
In CE beam sabers can't clash, they aren't like UC sabers
>>
>>15661034
Because it looks cool ?
>>
>>15661011

Well yeah. Beam shields are not a physical shield.
>>
>>15661092
I fucking hate how that's the in0universe explanation. Kira's shield can stop an anti-fortress weapon because it's not a fortress? That's some video game levels of retardation.
>>
>>15661135
Dude, Cosmic Era anti-fortress weapons only work on fortresses. Its common knowledge, look at Mu La Flaga. He took a Lohengrin to the face, which is an antimatter anti-fortress cannon, and came out of that none worse for the wear.
>>
>>15661092
The problem is how it happened. Somehow, Strike Freedom was able to catch the Destiny's Destroy bisecting slash between his beam shields. All the force from that swing just somehow disappeared. Strike Freedom's arms should have been ripped off at the least.
>>
In theory, It has more mass so it can cut through things easier... but this is never really evident in practice since beam sabers can cut through pretty much anything except for things that Anti-Ship swords can't cut through ether.

It's just to look cool, really.
>>
>>15661001
Destroy Gundams just flat out became a joke by that point in the show, I don't think it was just an offense/defense thing.
It's like in an RPG where some hardass boss reappears as a regular enemy and suddenly it's a joke.
>>
Beams don't work underwater.

Anti-ship swords can still be used underwater albeit withoit the beam
>>
>>15661139
That was equally retarded
>>
File: because it looks cool_01.jpg (28KB, 633x480px) Image search: [Google]
because it looks cool_01.jpg
28KB, 633x480px
>>
>>15661174
That depends on the universe. UC, AC and AD have beams that work underwater.
>>
File: KioAsuno.jpg (20KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
KioAsuno.jpg
20KB, 500x281px
>>15660938
Beam sabres in general work by manipulating magnetic fields to contain particles ina blade like shape.

So I'm gonna guess that the beam in the ASS(Anti-ship sword, keep up).
Is too strong to be contained through normal field manipulation so they use a tool to hold it instead.
>>
>>15661160
>Destroy Gundams just flat out became a joke by that point in the show, I don't think it was just an offense/defense thing.

I mean they did, but the swords really did help. Shinn even notes this and tells Luna and Rey to start using them at which point even they start tearing up Destroy's.
>>
>>15661140
Strike Freedom's internal frame is made of Phase Shift armor, it can take heavy impacts like that.
>>
>>15660938
It was mentioned somewhere that an ASS is actually not a beam saber. It's a high power *laser blade* that generates a cutting edge between the base and the cap at the end.
>>
>>15660938
Do you just have no imagination? It could be to add more mass to a swing and increase penetration. It could be that it uses that larger housing for more emitters and/or more powerful emitters to create a more powerful blade. It could be that the multi-emitter design used on the ant-ship swords allows for the blade to be extended longer than one contained in a beam saber.
And that's just the shit I came up with off the top of my head.
>>
>>15661160
To be fair, it was Destiny Gundam's (actual) debut of the show. It tearing the relatively new enemy is something to be expected.

The problem is when they go to the Moon and have the same exact battle. Most of the fight of that episode is literally fucking stock footage.
>>
>>15660938
What bugs me is that Destiny has a folding sword. I know it needs folding weapons to carry everything on its back, but it adds a point of weakness that Impulse's Excalibur lacks.
>>
>>15661335
No it doesn't.
>>
>>15661852
That's not what the model kit says.
>>
>>15661899
Model kits that came out after the show don't mean shit at the time it happened. They're retcons. Fukuda had Strike Freedom catch the sword because he thought it was cool. Same reason Strike could block the Dominion's anti matter cannon and the same reason Akatsuki did the same thing.
>>
>>15661160
I thought the Destroy Gundam was pretty damn cool
Having it reduced to an oversized jobber unit really showed how Destiny went straight to shit in the last part
>>
File: 1482764628451.png (348KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
1482764628451.png
348KB, 500x522px
>>15661139
But could the Strike Freedom defeat the true Excalibur?
>>
>>15661139
It turned him into a Char knockoff
>>
>>15661949
Well, that's one of GSD's bigger problems.
The Earth Alliance/LOGOS has no fucking characters, so when the series is reaching the second half, there isn't anyone left to fight outside of nameless grunts and nobodies., and fuck if they have time for dogfighting with some new guy in a Destroy Gundam, because they've gotta make time for the old cast to go on shopping adventures.
I can think of 7 guys in this series that are alligned with the EA that have names, and I can only remember 5 of them off head. Sting, Auel, Stella, Neo and Djibirl. The other guys are the EA President and the captain of the Girty Lue.
And consider this.
The last mobile weapon that's uniquely designed in this series is the fucking Euclid.
>>
>>15661985
>Sting
They literally just fed him to the new gundams, at least Auel got a cool death
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.