[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do mobile suits allow pilots to communicate with the enemy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
Why do mobile suits allow pilots to communicate with the enemy? This seems like a bad idea, and counter productive to creating a psychological state conducive to total warfare.
>>
>>15653093
Let's face it: If they couldn't cross talk with their opponents, these shows would be boring as fuck. Would just be Amuro narrowly succeeding at blowing up Zaku IIs and grunting angrily in-between bouts of insubordination for half the show, and then when he meets Char for the first time he probably wouldn't even know who the fuck he was since he'd never even spoken to the guy.
>>
>>15653093
I always assume it happens sometimes and doesn't happen at others due to Minovsky BS. Pilots sometimes don't talk or only communicate with others in their faction because normally they can't get on enemy channels, but close proximity breaks this and lets comms flow uninterrupted, which also explains why in some later series suits need to use cables or touch to communicate effectively. This is just how I've always seen it, though I donno how true it is.
>>
>>15653099

Did Amuro really talk with Char early in the series? I thought "relationship" with Char throughout most of 0079 was "There's a salmon pink Zaku II or Z'Gok that keeps trying to kill me". IIRC, he only started getting chatty with Char once they met in Side 7.
>>
>>15653093
I figure they've got the ability to broadcast and receive on an open channel for the sake of communicating with people not on their network for whatever reason. You know, just as a back up. But then pilots use it for purposes it wasn't intended for and trash-talk each other, even though it gets them in trouble with their superiors all the time.
>>
>>15653093
>Why do mobile suits allow pilots to communicate with the enemy? This seems like a bad idea, and counter productive to creating a psychological state conducive to total warfare.

Mobile suit pilots cannot communicate with the enemy (unless they're in physical contact and use some kind ship-to-ship phone).
Most people misunderstand what happens in the anime during the combat scenes. It's a director's choice to cut the scenes in such a way that they give the impression of the characters talking to each other during combat. The director does this to give a more dynamic character to the fights. Otherwise you the viewer would just see mobile suits fighting one another with no underlying audio (except for the effects track). It would be extremely boring to watch such fights.
>>
>>15653223
This. Occasionally it's obvious that a communication line has been opened (see: Setsuna vs Graham at the end of 00S1), but usually you're just seeing characters thinking out loud about what they assume are the other pilot's thoughts/motivations.
>>
>>15653093
in 0079 they couldn't. That dumb shit started happening around zeta. The only interaction that happens between enemy pilots in 0079 is between Char and Amuro when they go all newtype psychic communication mode.
>>
Looking back on it, yeah, Shiro never had an open radio link with Norris, Kou had to tell Gato to tune in on a certain frequency, and even in Zeta it's mostly newtype shenanigans. When Kamille is beating on Jerid's Hizack after Kamille's mother died, they're pretty consistent on having Jerid only hear what Kamille is saying when the Mark II and Hizack are in physical contact with each other.
>>
I think in UC it can be explained by newtype abilities, but what about in the AU series? Like say in Wing there are plenty of times Heero and Zechs, or Wu Fei and Treze talk to each other directly. Maybe Wing is a bad example since its ridiculous in all other aspects also.
>>
>>15657694
wing doesn't have minovsky particles blocking wireless communications.
>>
>>15653305
>>15653223
But actual dialogue happens between them fairly often.
>>
>>15653093
There is an All Chat option in mobile suits, basically. In 0083 there's a scene where Gatou specifically tells Kou to tune in to his frequency more or less. I guess they just can't resist talking shit while they try to kill each other. It's not realistic but I'm not really looking for quite that much realism in my giant robot chinese cartoons
>>
>>15653093
They need to have an open channel, otherwise it doesn't work.
>>
>>15658166
>>15658491
>>15653204
This.
>>
File: russian-su-24-garmin.jpg (35KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
russian-su-24-garmin.jpg
35KB, 600x300px
You know that Russian Su-24 that got shot down in Syria by Turkey? Yeah it turns out that the Su-24 doesn't come standard with the VHF radios needed to receive the radio frequencies used by international air traffic controllers, which they were warned on before the shoot down.
>>
>>15653204
Yeah for all you know the enemy may be trying to surrender and it's kinda hard to tell someone that while you're in space without having some sort of comm line.
>>
File: Untitled.png (443KB, 692x517px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
443KB, 692x517px
So was Shinn communicating with Freedom during this entire fight or was he just raging the fuck out alone in his cockpit
>>
>>15659777
But why would zeon care about surrender? They dropped a colony on Australia. They had no room for quarter.
>>
>>15657133

Yeah. That was one of the reasons why Kamille and Jerid would hug each other in battle so many times, so they could trash talk each other.
>>
>>15653093
Always wondered that, why they didn't just micspam on every channel
>B-B-B-BALLS OF STEEEL
>>
>>15659960
Better safe than sorry my dude.
>>
>*mecha pilots yell at each other*
>"YER ON GUAAAAAAARD"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZE0nE60sk
>>
>>15659982
>I'VE GOT BALLS OF--
>I'VE GOT BALLS--
>I'VE GOT BALLS OF STEE--
>BLOW IT OUT YOUR--
>I'VE GOT BALLS OF--
>[Seinfeld theme plays]

Is this the logic of adults!
>>
They don't.
Whenever they hear the enemy through newtype shit they get really suprised.
>>
>>15664278
Thats long distance.
UC has comms that work through mobile suits touching.
>>
>>15659871
You never see Kira or Shinn directly reply to each other, so it's very likely he was just sperging out solo.

Which is weird since both SEED and GSD show the opposite happening several times, but it's not like CE is known for its consistency.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.