[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /m/ think of the gobots? The figs, the show,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: gobots-1.jpg (48KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gobots-1.jpg
48KB, 500x375px
What does /m/ think of the gobots?

The figs, the show, and the movie mainly
>>
>>15643950
>What does /m/ think of the gobots?

They were shit in 1986 when I watched them on tv, and I don't think they have improved over the last couple of decades.
>>
I'm 25 and gobots means nothing to me. Seriously, don't think I saw a single thing related to it growing up.
>>
I used to have a Gobot toy my Dad used to have, The tires where gone but It was a cool red sportscar guy I wish I still had him.
>>
File: stretchtux1a.jpg (41KB, 480x352px) Image search: [Google]
stretchtux1a.jpg
41KB, 480x352px
Tux is the best Gobot bar none.
>>
>>15643950
Show was pretty much trash, without even the few moments of quality that Transformers had. Toys were pretty great, though, especially the smaller figs which had their Transformers equivalents beat in terms design, transformation and variety of alt modes.
>>
>>15643950
Wish we got Machine Robo instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_abMOtHKLQ
>>
>>15644394
Yeah, since at least that is about G1 Transformers in terms of quality, but with extra SHADING.
>>
I watched a lot of Gobots as a kid. The cartoon was largely forgettable, I don't think I could recount for you a single episode's plot, while I could list several for G1 off the top of my head (and I'm barely a TF fan). The fights uniformly consisted of hand blasts from both sides and it got dull quickly.

The movies are a little better. First one is a pretty blatant rip on the TF movie in that again Optimus character, Leader-1, gets gravely injured, except he gets better. They also utilized the combining mech design from Machine Robo, which was easily the best part of the film. Robots in power armor that combine into a bigger robot? Sign me up.

The other movie involved prehistoric robot rocks. I suggest skipping it unless you like robots that can turn into fucking rocks.
>>
>>15644394
Apparently the French got Revenge of Chronos dubbed as as sequel to the Hanna Barbera cartoon? Have no idea how they made that work.
>>
>>15644578

The Hanna-Barbera series had a paper-thin plot. I don't think it would be too difficult at all, actually.
>>
File: kill la kill laughter.jpg (53KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
kill la kill laughter.jpg
53KB, 600x398px
>>15644572
>well team, how will we beat transformers and secure the male 7-12 demographic?
>what if instead of turning into vehicles, they turn into rocks?
>>
File: Totally_identical_to _show.jpg (81KB, 500x675px) Image search: [Google]
Totally_identical_to _show.jpg
81KB, 500x675px
>>15643950
Had to respect the cartoon robots staying true to the toys robot modes no matter how awkward they looked. TF decided to artificially smooth out their robot modes so some of the toys couldn't come close to their show appearance.
>>
The show was shit.
The toys ranged from neat little dudes to ass.

I'd jump at the chance to reacquire Turbo, Fitor and Psycho
>>
>>15644630

Even more disappointing, they wasted the otherwise awesome title of 'Rock Lords' on these things. With a name like that they should have gone full heavy metal aesthetic motif, but instead we just got literal rocks.

I weep when I consider how much of my childhood was wasted on this garbage.
>>
File: rock lord boulder rockmode.jpg (67KB, 609x621px) Image search: [Google]
rock lord boulder rockmode.jpg
67KB, 609x621px
>>15645704
>>15644572
Say what you will, but my siblings quickly learned to fear and respect the Rock Lords. Those things hurt like crap man.
>>
Toys were had better play value overall than Transfomers.
Every single aspect of the animation was mediocre at best, and basically killed their market.
It would have been interesting if the franchise survived on its own, evolved and improved over the years to produce better quality media.
>>
>>15643961
/thread
>>
>>15643950
I was around 4 or 5 when it aired. I remember my cousin (she was 18 months older) saying that Leader-1 (the plane robot in the middle of your picture) wasn't properly designed because it didn't have a weenie. Don't know why she cared only about that one, though, since none of them came with one.

It was bad, though. Really bad. Even as a kid, it was that cartoon we watched while we waited for the cool ones to air.
>>
Were any of the robots in the Machine Robo anime used in Gobots as well?
>>
File: Cwfxra3UsAAWziT.jpg (145KB, 923x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cwfxra3UsAAWziT.jpg
145KB, 923x1200px
They should be held up as an example why being first doesn't automatically make you better.
>>
>>15644630
>>15647437
>so, kids like toy robots, what else do they like?
>throwing rocks at each other?
>that's it!
>>
>>15647701
Yes, Fitor was a conversion of Jet, and the Rock Lords came from an episode with a bunch of rock robot drones.
>>
>>15643950
I watched a few episodes of this in my kindergarten years, back when Cartoon Network's showcase consisted of whatever Hanna-Barbera stuff they managed to dig up. I loved the idea of transforming robots, but I couldn't watch any TF shows as a kid, so this was all I got.

And I still remember nothing about it. Only thing I vaguely recall is that red fag on the OP pic's right (Scooter?). I may have owned one figure, an ambulance, though it's more likely it was some bootleg.
>>
>>15647694
>It was bad, though. Really bad. Even as a kid, it was that cartoon we watched while we waited for the cool ones to air.

Pretty much this exactly. I get some nostalgia factor from seeing them but I've never said to myself, 'Man, I should look it up and watch an old episode.' I already know it will be shit 'cause it was shit then.

For whatever reason a theater near me showed the Rock movie a lot as a cheap morning kid movie option, so that movie babysat me quite a bit.

I remember thinking the idea of each important guy having their own special whatever that had to go into a bigger whatever and would give ultimate power being cool, though. Good set-up for a strategy game where you conquer other nations.
>>
I really liked Turbo and Crasher and their giant dog robot.

As a kid I love kid appeal characters but Scooter was the one I fucking hated with a passion. I could tolerate and enjoy Snarfer, but Scooter was too much for me to handle.
>>
>>15643961
wasn't the show animated by Hannah-Barbara?
>>
>>15649545
Yes.

I think the toys were Kenner. Hasbro owns the franchise now, but no the cartoon, and it generally just exists to get shit on. Cy-Kill has been killed so much even Go-Bot haters are sick of it.
>>
>>15644669
the original Marvel comic for Transformers stuck to the toy looks, was shocked to see Ironhide and whoever the medic was looking like this with the windshield all up in their face
>>
>>15649546
>Cy-Kill has been killed so much even Go-Bot haters are sick of it.
No exaggeration on that front.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cy-Kill_(disambiguation)
>>
File: Fitor_vs_BlueJet.jpg (435KB, 756x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Fitor_vs_BlueJet.jpg
435KB, 756x1008px
>>15647694
>It was bad, though. Really bad. Even as a kid, it was that cartoon we watched while we waited for the cool ones to air.

This x1000. Pic very related.

Great job, Hanna-Barbera.
>>
>>15649636
>at first I was left, but then I got Obari'd
>>
>>15643950
Wait, is that plane guy a Gobot and not a Transformer? I just had a flash from the past and I remember I had a toy of him.
>>
>>15652128
>Wait, is that plane guy a Gobot and not a Transformer? I just had a flash from the past and I remember I had a toy of him.

Yeah, "Leader-1" was the leader of the heroic "Guardians" Gobots.

His original, Japanese iteration was MR-25 "F-15 Eagle Robo", a relatively unremarkable Machine Robo toy/character.
>>
>>15644669
True, but redesigning those Transformers characters models made them more memorable and iconic and probably helped contribute to the Transformers franchise's longetivity.
>>
>>15649636

Left actually looks like a robot design. Right looks like some kind of awkward gemstone with angles everywhere lol.
>>
>>15647706
They aired first, but they weren't the original one. They rushed the production when they found out that Transformers was going to be a thing so they would air before, but they pretty much stole the concept.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.