[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some /m/ shows with "realistic" mechas. Something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: 1421795264413.png (623KB, 640x875px) Image search: [Google]
1421795264413.png
623KB, 640x875px
What are some /m/ shows with "realistic" mechas. Something like Gasaraki?
>>
>Mecha
>Realistic
None of them
>>
>>15639315
>>15639323
The word to use here would be "verisimilitude". As in, looking like it would be plausible enough, even if it isn't.
>>
>>15639315
>What are some /m/ shows with "realistic" mechas

There isn't one mecha series ever made that was realistic. Realism in mecha is a question of degree. Once you understand this, you know there is no conceptual difference between "real" robots and super robots.
This said, you should state what criteria a mecha show should have to be "to a certain degree realistic" and go from there.

Gasaraki whilel a science-fiction mecha show, has elements of what we could call realism. Realism in how the mecha are delivered to the battlefield. Realism in how mecha operate in teams, the coordination being made between pilots and between pilots and the mobile HQ.
Realism in how these exoskeleton are used in urban environments etc...
>>
>>15639315
If you've already heard of Gasaraki, you already know all the answers that are going to be given to this question anyhow.
>>
Realism is overrated.
>>
>>15639364
There's nothing more realistic than machines based upon the technology of ancient demons
>>
>>15639323
The world of Gundam is quite a realistic scenario for mecha. The fact that the reactors both in the suits and in battleships fuck with communications, weapon tracking and anything not shielded in general means speed, simple accuracy and agility are key to victory. All of the shortfalls such as "just aim for the knee" disappear when the target is moving fast and you can't just fire a homing missile.
>>
File: 1485168788720.png (576KB, 640x955px) Image search: [Google]
1485168788720.png
576KB, 640x955px
>>15639500
Except there's no reason for them to be shaped like people. Even the in universe explanation of using torque effects to make limbs act like reaction wheels brings up the simple question: why not just use actual reaction wheels?
>>
>>15639559
A reaction wheel can't manipulate a multitude of weaponry in every direction on the fly.
>>
>>15639315
>Gasaraki
Yeah, the Sengoku era samurai ghost demons were pretty realistic
>>
>>15639624
why do you need that ability of dubious utility when you can just have an integrated turret?
the most practical thing in the whole UC was the ball
>>
>>15639634
>when you can just have an integrated turret?

A mobile suit manipulator can pick up weaponry from defeated enemies, as well as restock itself without a crew to handle the exchange. It is vastly superior to a built-in turret.
>>
>>15639559
>Except there's no reason for them to be shaped like people.
The tenuous idea I've always kept in my head is that since Mobile Suit tech developed out of industrial exoskeleton usage, they just stick with what they know - nobody ever wants to spend the time and resources to completely redesign their tech and retrain their pilots.

This idea is, of course, contradicted on numerous occasions (notably the Balls), but whatever. It's no sillier than anything else that happens in 0079.
>>
>>15639694
Even if you're dead set on the picking up guns floating in space part - which is dumb, even if they used freely detachable and replaceable weaponry, they'd surely employ some kind of lockout system to keep unauthorized parties from using them - just have a waldo arm manipulator, one with a far better range of motion than a human-like arm.
>>
>>15639559
Because if your guns are busted or run out of ammo then you can beat and stomp your enemies.
>>
>>15639323
They have some real ones in china.
>>
>>15639315
Is that Inspector Gadget
>>
>>15639315
I think people get to caught up in the word real. While how realistic the mecha is may play a minor role in how it is perceived, I think what really matters in separating real from super, is how the society is affected and how realistically people act in a universe where giant mecha combat is a regular and effective part of combat in battle.
>>
>>15644751
That's still a meaningless distinction given just how many different settings there are in mecha and given how societies in mecha shows are often shaped by things completely unrelated to the mecha themselves. Take Evangelion. It's a completely post-apocalyptic world because of Second Impact. Mecha played no role in this. How does one determine real or super based on that?

There is no meaningful way to distinguish real and super. Stop trying.
>>
File: 1456373345285.jpg (1MB, 2000x1420px) Image search: [Google]
1456373345285.jpg
1MB, 2000x1420px
VOTOMS is pretty good
>>
>>15639315
Buki yo Saraba
>>
>>15639315
Shows that feature planes.
Yukikaze.
>>
>>15639315
You know, if I were in the battlefield and something looking like THAT showed up, I would at least do a double take
>>
>>15639323
>mechanical things
>not realistic
>>
>No one has mentioned Flag
FLAG
>>
>>15646374
>No one has mentioned Fag
OP
>>
>>15639323
The versatility of infantry with the power of a machine
>>
>>15645303
Yukikaze is this magical mix of "that's bullshit but I believe it" that helps to establish that even the most unnatural premise can be considered, for a certain meaning of the term , "realistic."

This being the series about jet fighter pilots in smartplanes fighting against what might as well be a godlike entity messing around with their interdimensional ant farm.

It's real fucking weird, just saying.
>>
>>15639315
But mechas themselves are not realistic.
>>
>>15639711
>they'd surely employ some kind of lockout system to keep unauthorized parties from using them
They don't. During the OYW the guns were made by different manufacturers and incompatible, but after the war when Anaheim acquired everyone they made all the connectors the same for ease of manufacturing. It's as simple as picking up a weapon and installing the drivers.
>>
>>15639315
Man, the Zock is so cute.
>>
File: 1130635428225.jpg (131KB, 456x642px) Image search: [Google]
1130635428225.jpg
131KB, 456x642px
Zock finds a way.
>>
>>15639315

Patlabor
>>
>>15644805
The distinction is all in the aesthetic.
Is it designed like Dougram or like Mazinger Z? That is how you determine whether it is real or super. Gundam holds an intermediary place.
>>
>>15639315
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KQdl5k3y0E
Heavy Gear TV. It's considered a in-universe tv show.
>>
>>15649450
I'd be inclined to agree if it were quantifiable and there weren't ones that don't really look like either (such as Goemon Impact, the Iron Leaguers, Zoids, Genocyber, and many others). But still, even aside from any criteria you set having exceptions, the whole thing is a pointless exercise anyway. What do we gain from defining the terms "super robot" or "real robot" or defining a show as such? I can't think of any actual answer to this
>>
>>15646569
The installing the drivers part in Unicorn made me lose my fucking shit. I love the idea of picking up an enemy beam rifle only to cut to the pilot swearing at the OS
>>
>>15639315
Muvluv schwarzesmarken
Daiguard
Patlabor
Votoms
>>
>>15645221
Seconding this. It also has a god tier op.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8hwDQJRU7E
>>
>>15639631
>Sengoku era
You're off by a couple of hundred years, I think.
>>
>>15639559
This is my biggest gripe with mecha. No reason to shape it like a person wearing a jetpack and rocket boots. Put all that tech into an aircraft
>>
>>15640100
Not a good argument because a "Gundam" inspired vehicle/aircraft could slam into you or crush you as well. Not that melee at that scale is at all realistic anyways.
>>
File: godmars.png (224KB, 300x410px) Image search: [Google]
godmars.png
224KB, 300x410px
>>15639315
:^)
>>
>>15639559
>>15650604
Why the fuck do you people even come on /m/ if you hate mecha so much that you want every single series to just consist of Balls?
>>
File: mans romance.webm (400KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
mans romance.webm
400KB, 576x432px
>>
>>15650634
Didn't they bombard Godmars with everything they had for 2 straight hours, and didn't even put a dent on it? I remember the city behind Godmars was reduced to rubble, but Godmars was unmoved by such a display of force.
>>
>>15650758
yeah Godmars is so OP that they have to write around it all the time. nice aesthetics for early 80s mecha though.
>>
>>15650713
> why do people enjoy non-fiction?
> why do people enjoy soft sci-fi and fantasy?
This is a terrible question. The obvious reason is that I think mecha are really cool, and I grew up watching mecha cartoons. I also enjoy Lord of the Rings, and other fantasy, even though wizards and dragons aren't real. The reasons I enjoy these media is because they are a fun escape, not because they remind me of real life.
>>
>>15646569
Isn't an arm in a socket really just a turret, in the end?
>>
>>15639315
Muv Luv. It handles mecha more like jets with limbs rather than walking-tanks.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.