[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /m/ read? Are there any novels out there that deal with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: 25809801.jpg (81KB, 308x475px) Image search: [Google]
25809801.jpg
81KB, 308x475px
Does /m/ read? Are there any novels out there that deal with mechs? I just really want to read something that deals with robots that look like robots, and not cyborgs that look like humans but some weird quark, like they type really fast, makes them "inhuman." Am I aiming for the starts on this one? I need to write it myself, don't I? Man. Boo.
>>
File: 1471259204427.jpg (257KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
1471259204427.jpg
257KB, 1000x664px
>Does /m/ read?
Obviously not, since the mixed feelings on G-Reco were linked directly to people not being able to understand more than one thing at once.
>Are there any novels out there that deal with mechs?
Classical sci-fi. Like, the whole genre. If you want to start small, Memetrip Troopers and War of the Worlds have mecha. I, Robot is Asimov and /m/.
Ignoring that, I'm sure there's a few standouts (Japanese, likely), but the most easily found books are garbage (and in some cases non-stop dipshit references that /m/en would groan at since 70s robots aren't obscure here)
>I just really want to read something that deals with robots that look like robots, and not cyborgs that look like humans but some weird quark, like they type really fast, makes them "inhuman." Am I aiming for the starts on this one?
Yes, you're aiming for the "starts." I, Robot started the "Am I human?" thing GitS likes to play around with. Or you could scrounge up some old books with goofy titles and robots on the cover.
>I need to write it myself, don't I? Man. Boo.
Fuck off, tumblr. Nobody cares unless you have something to present to the class.

Solid bait
>>
>>15634005
How about 80s Battletech novels. I like them. I also like Gibson cyberpunk, but from what you posted, I doubt you'll feel the same.
>>
>>15634005

If you haven't read the book you posted in your OP, I have and it's pretty good. The cover caught my eye for sure. The robot's aren't sentient, but they are a big part of the story. There's a very small part where one of the military chicks has a moment with her robot unit, she hallucinates that it talks back to her, a little like the movie Her, where the AI is alive. But they never come back to it, which I thought, of course, was the best part.
>>
>>15634030
Peter, I'm sure your parents are proud.
We're not.
>>
>>15634034

That's MR. Tieryas to you, friend.
>>
>>15634005
Cool cover
>>
As a /m/an who reads a lot of erotica, I have never really come across a good mech fucking book. You would think there would be a large subcategory of that.
>>
>>15634047
eroge sorta count kinda
>>
File: ColdOne.jpg (39KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
ColdOne.jpg
39KB, 540x304px
>>15634050
Nah, I'm in the same boat as OP. I want something that deals with like real mecha looking things.

I'm pretty sure that's some sort of fetish. Technophilia?
>>
>>15634058
>technophilia
It's called robosexuality and it is an ABOMINATION
>>
>>15634069
Hey! It's just squeaky clean fun!
>>
>>15634005
I remember one called something like Mecha Wars: A Story of the Armor Corps, or something like that. I liked that one. Mostly because the mecha in it were awesome. These giant living metal shapeshifters armed with gratuitous amounts of antimatter. Beautiful things.
>>
>>15634005
Well in the west, anything involving giant robots aren't prominent. But maybe you should look into some fiction with power armor. That's the closest thing you'll get. A primer I'd suggest is starship troopers but its more politics than adventure. Then there's also the original gundam novel trilogy. there's an ebook of it floating around.
>>
>>15634026
I thought they were still making them

>>15634005
It's hard to experience mecha in the same way through a book because the anime & comics that you read are inherently visual and rely on selling you cool robot "designs". None of that is really viable in a book, so when you do find ones that feature mecha, it won't capture your interest in the same way.

That said, Hyperion has some robot shit, it even mentions mechs multiple times but doesn't elaborate on what they look like or anything.

Some of the Simak novels might work too, I read Highway Eternity and it featured some neat superdimensional killer robots used by far future humanity.

There's also the unholy fuckfest that is "Ready Player One". It has a lot of shitty mech action where the author writes in gundam vs macross scenes and stuff.

And AFAIK Asimov, Clarke and Bradbury never did any giant robots, otherwise I should have heard of it by now

In stuff I haven't read:
Lensman has some mech suit things, I think "Armor" is a powered armor novel. I really can't help you outside of that.

People don't really read mech scifi man. I don't know what to say, it's not really even a genre, although some modern writers probably toss it in just for the trope factor. Mecha really is dead i guess
>>
File: C806fouXgAAa1yx_1.jpg (117KB, 1265x1066px) Image search: [Google]
C806fouXgAAa1yx_1.jpg
117KB, 1265x1066px
>>15634069
shut your whore mouth
>>
>>15634005
>USJ
good luck selling that in nippon
>>
>>15637765
>"designs"
What?
>>
>>15634005
That book is complete fucking shit though, also /m/ books dealing with mecha itself are rare as all fuck, there is mostly scifi.

I remember there was one about von neumann robots, I think the third book is going to be released this year, there is also the Themis Files but the story in those books is told as interviews and recordings so I don't know iif most people would like that, it is also about a robot from a ancient civilization that lived with humans in the past
>>
>>15634005
>I just really want to read something that deals with robots that look like robots, and not cyborgs that look like humans but some weird quark, like they type really fast, makes them "inhuman.
Well, though they aren't robots there is the Blindsight and Firefall books by Peter Watts that deal with alien contact, the thing about those books is that its pretty far in teh future and the biotech has evolved to teh point that someone can partition their brain in 5 and have 5 different personalities, the humans barely act like humans anymore because of that
>>
>>15637870
How each robot looks?
>>
>>15637765
>Ready Player One
Isn't that shit being turned into a movie somehow? I wonder how the fuck are tehy going to deal with the copyrights issues
>>
>>15637954
He's asking about the quote marks
>>
>>15637958
Steven Spielberg is how
>>
Titanicus remains excellent. Gigantic robots, slightly smaller giant robots, heavily augmented people, lightly augmented people, regular people as an outside perspective. No people sized completely autonomous robots, though.
>>
I haven't read it yet but I hear Dead Mech is a fun cheesy book about the zombie apocalypse but with mechs

And yeah Armor is pretty rad for some power armor action
>>
>>15638887
Armor is fantastic. The action is incredibly visceral and I thought the characters were very likeable, especially how Felix develops.
>>
>>15634005
Bolo! and David Drake's Hammer series
>>
>>15638889
>the author died before doing a sequel
Bit of a shame, one would wonder what would be next.
>>
>>15634005
Do you want regular novels or light novels?
>>
>>15641190
does anyone from the west even read light novels? i was under the impression that they were all basically garbage that was only published as a way of showing off potential anime plots and testing their marketability
>>
>>15635057
>its more politics
Which essentially character telling MC why their world is like that.
>than adventure.
Which is mostly a boy going through a boot camp, then some one mission or two before he joins the officers corp and then another mission.

I gotta give Heinlein credit here- although the aforementioned things sounds horrible, it actually managed to amuses when I was reading it.
>>
>>15641289
Gee. They are translated into English. Why would you think nobody reads them?
>>
>>15642200
Don't get me wrong. Its just not a book for powered armor fun. Also for the OP All you Need is Kill is another good book.
>>
>>15644153
I read AYNIK and it was neat. Slightly different from the movie but still good. I can't say I remember it focusing very much on the armor although it is a part of the story.
>>
>>15634047
>>15634058
I'm an erotica writer and I think I've just been inspired. Thanks, /m/ates.
>>
>>15634005
>almost 5 day old thread
>no one mentions FMP
Its 12 books. Enjoy
>>
>>15634005
Try a few of the Full Metal Panic light novels.
>>
>>15642200
Speaking of Starship Troopers was it really fascist?
It rather felt like mixmash of ideas and rants against some friend he used to hang out with. Same thing in Stranger in strange lands exposition.
>>
>>15647664

I don't think so too, seemed just like Heinlein was pushing his bullshit ideals as usual.
>>
>>15647664
ST was Heinlein being pissed about people being soft on the USSR's nuclear threat. It's about as fascist as most of the 50's USA was, which is to say a bit but not a great deal, and certainly nothing like the Nazi levels people seem to see in the book somehow.
>>
>>15634005
>ctrl-f
>no real steel
Shame on you /m/
>>
>>15649013
>book based on a movie based on a short story
yeah that sounds fucking great
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.