[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what does /m/ think of Laserdisc? Is there enough to talk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 16

File: laserdisc 2 copy.png (648KB, 645x538px) Image search: [Google]
laserdisc 2 copy.png
648KB, 645x538px
So what does /m/ think of Laserdisc? Is there enough to talk about here to get a discussion going? I just bought a few on eBay & I'm trying to decide what player to get right now.
>>
>>15632793
I like VHS more
>>
Do people watch old anime on CRTs like people do with old video games?
>>
>>15632804

I know I do. Interlaced videos look like shit on modern displays.
>>
>>15632793
If I'm gonna go with a dead form of Media I prefer betamax.
>>
File: gits ld.jpg (1MB, 1080x1090px) Image search: [Google]
gits ld.jpg
1MB, 1080x1090px
I'm not particularly interested in the format itself, but I love Laserdisc covers. Big, chunky physical releases get me off.

>>15632804
I watch most of my DVDs and .mkv's of older anime on my CRT, though if it's widescreen or of course a BD it goes on the HDTV.
>>
Are there any /m/ shows that only exist, or look best on laserdisc? Surely there must be something decent that never got re-released right?
>>
>>15632850
Anything that doesn't have a DVD release was forgotten for a reason.
>>
File: jewelquest-jewquest.jpg (85KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
jewelquest-jewquest.jpg
85KB, 500x402px
>>15632858

>It it's not popular it's shit

This is some flawed logic right here.
>>
>>15632850
I don't think Ehrgeiz ever got a DVD release, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>15632865

>VHS tapes and LaserDisc's of Ehrgeiz began released with the First Volume released on May 25, 1998, the Second on June 25, the Third on July 25, the Fourth on August 25, the Fifth on September 25, and the Sixth on October 25, all the same year.

Doesn't look like it. Is Ehrgeiz any good?
>>
>>15632870
It's a thoroughly "okay" show.
>>
>>15632863
I have seen many obscure laserdisc-only OVAs and all of them are incredibly mediocre or straight up bad and usually have poor production values. Anime is already a niche thing. The best ones become well known.
>>
>>15632793
>thinly veiled /g/ thread

I'm on to you, /g/oon.
>>
>>15632895

Like /g/ knows anything about Laserdisc.

>>15632888

Aren't there a bunch of shows & ovas that can't be re-released for legal reasons due to licencing issues? I know that's why some VHS tapes are expensive (horror movies & wrestling tapes mostly)
>>
>>15632870
>>15632880
In any case, Orphan covered it.
http://collectr.blogspot.ca/2016/01/next-senki-ehrgeiz.html
https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/771317
https://nyaa.si/view/771317
>>
>>15632850
Gakusaver, Le Deus, Legaciam and Dinagiga are only on LD as far as I know. Former two are good, latter two are mediocre
>>
File: gakusaver1_g.jpg (133KB, 1400x728px) Image search: [Google]
gakusaver1_g.jpg
133KB, 1400x728px
>>15632912
>Gakusaver

That's one sexy looking package.
>>
>>15632850
Didn't the lazerdisk version of LotGH not have the redrawn parts, it's a neat idea if you really hate inconstant art I guess.
>>
>>15632922

Correct. They lost the masters in a "fire", so they had to largely re-draw huge portions of the Bluray release. It's essentially a different show on laserdisc visually.
>>
>>15632923
Wasn't it in a flood?
>>
File: noriko pubes.jpg (272KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
noriko pubes.jpg
272KB, 1920x1440px
>>15632922
In a similar vein I think the LD release of Gunbuster is the last one to have Noriko's pubic hair.
>>
>>15632925

Flood, fire, tsunami, earthquake, whatever. In any case the masters are lost. Same thing happened to all the early Votoms Spinoffs if I recall. Shining heresy, etc.

>>15632926

I thought that was only on the VHS tape release?
>>
>>15632928
>I thought that was only on the VHS tape release?
Could be, I'm honestly not very well versed in my Gunbuster release history.
>>
>>15632793
Safe from Iron Blooded Ovaries.
>>
>>15632793
>So what does /m/ think of Laserdisc?

Jim : it's dead.
It has worse video quality than DVD to say none compared to Blu-ray.
You need a CRT tv screen to have an acceptable picture. Any LCD, Plasma, LED giant tv screens will show you how shit the video quality really is.
There is no reason, none at all in 2017 to spend the big bucks buying into Laserdisc to say nothing of the player. If you get the discs and player off a dump go for it. If you're spending hundreds, thousands of $ you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>circa 1994
>elementary school science class
>teacher brings in the school's laserdisc player, plus some kind of edjumactional video on laserdisc
>shit won't read the fucking disc
>takes like half an hour of fucking with it to get it to work finally

That is my one and only experience with the format.
>>
File: 1497906989640.jpg (97KB, 500x752px) Image search: [Google]
1497906989640.jpg
97KB, 500x752px
>>15632958
I have a 13" CRT TV on my desk next to my two monitors. If I want to drop some money and buy a wicked sick boxed edition of Evangelion that comes with an awful lot of artwork and cool packaging, then I'm gonna drop some money on it and enjoy an authentic experience from a bygone age for a show I like. Just because you don't like CRTs doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. Go to /vr/ every once in a while if you don't believe me

I mean, shit, I spent $150 on a transcriber so I can emulate old console games and arcade games on said CRT in their original, wonky resolutions and refresh rates, and I don't regret it because it gets way more use than my $400 Switch or $400 PS4.
>>
File: laserdiscs.jpg (176KB, 900x705px) Image search: [Google]
laserdiscs.jpg
176KB, 900x705px
>>15633285

Fucking legend. This post was beautiful. When you transcriber, do you mean Vocorder? Could you post an example, you've got my attention up.
>>
>>15633359
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VGA-to-Component-Transcoder-Retrotek-VGACTV1/192116647418

Transcoder, my bad. I use this to emulate everything up to GameCube/Wii/PS2 in their original resolutions, and I also use it to watch anime and 4:3 TV shows in 240p as opposed to 480i sometimes.

It's also a bit cheaper now since I bought mine years ago.
>>
I got one of the Pioneer DVD/LD hybrid things early into DVD because if you wanted to import Japanese videos you needed LD.

It's neat. I'll probably get Babylon 5 one of these days for the 4:3 stuff.

Obviously the high def version of BGC looks better, but there's something to the isness of seeing it off a laserdisc like some guy did back in the day when it first came out.
>>
>>15633285
I know /m/ isn't the best place to ask but do you know what happened to the guy that claimed to have bought the 90 or so PVMs? Was he just having a giggle?
>>
File: lasers.png (304KB, 838x646px) Image search: [Google]
lasers.png
304KB, 838x646px
>>15633509

Entirely possible he bought out a bunch of oldstock from some medical or production company. Those things do happen. On another note, I was not aware laserdiscs went for so much. I'm guessing the weight factors in a lot since they're pretty heavy.
>>
>>15633520
I'm sure, but it seems just as well a ripe opportunity to pull /vr/'s leg. Some anons (allegedly) received some timestamps of them, but alas last I checked nothing concrete was posted. Here's the thread if you're interested. The OP image is just a placeholder.

http://desuarchive.org/vr/thread/4045783/#4045783
>>
>>15632912
>latter two are mediocre

Legaciam would probably be better if it didn't end just as the main part of the story was starting. Didn't it supposedly get finished in novel form?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEwgAe6VfVU
This short feels relevant
>>
>>15632845
I'm in the same boat as this anon. I've seen a few during my buyfagging that I'll probably wind up buying and hanging on my walls.

>>15633520
>ebay
Go hunting around japanese secondhand sites, you'll find shit much cheaper, even with proxy fees and shipping. I've never seen sets go that high unless they were rare and in really nice condition.
>>
>>15634701

What's the best proxy I can use? I'm assuming yahoo japan is my best bet for secondhand laserdiscs right?
>>
>>15634936
You can check mandarake. I don't think you need a proxy for them
>>
File: 200w.gif (3MB, 200x204px) Image search: [Google]
200w.gif
3MB, 200x204px
>>15633285
And this is why I love both /m/ and /vr/
>>
>>15632958
>You need a CRT tv screen to have an acceptable picture. Any LCD, Plasma, LED giant tv screens will show you how shit the video quality really is.
Nonsense IMHO. (I'm an encoder so I hope I know few bits about this.)
>>
>>15635350
>Nonsense IMHO

Mathematics doesn't lie.
Laserdisc is an analog format whose video resolution doesn't exceed that of NTSC.
No matter how much IMHO you spout, putting an NTSC video on a big flat digital screen is a recepe for disaster in terms of video quality.
Laserdisc is not and never was an HD analog format. So enjoy watching interlaced NTSC content on a 40-50 inch flat screen.
>>
>>15635362
>Laserdisc is not and never was an HD analog format.

Nobody is saying that it ever was, though.

LD over composite > DVD over composite

DVD over S-Video/Component and beyond > LD

And LD still looks fucking sexy over composite on a CRT. Like way better than it has any right to. I don't know why you keep dragging flat screens into this. Nobody is going out and buying a fuck ton of LaserDiscs to play on one. This is like watching people discuss the Sega Saturn, then you come in reeeeing because the Saturn looks like shit on a Plasma screen

THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS
>>
>>15635366

Jesus man, where the fuck can you buy a quality crt tv screen anymore ? Hint : you can't. So unless you have a sony trinitron or something equivalent from the old days just lying around I stand by my opinion. All other thing being equal no one should invest in laserdisc. At least with vinyl discs, they are still being produced and you can fucking buy (at great cost) high quality players. You can't do that with laserdiscs.
Oh and beware laserdisc rot.
>>
>>15635393
>Jesus man, where the fuck can you buy a quality crt tv screen anymore ? Hint : you can't

Mother fucker, I found a Toshiba set from 2002 that takes RF, composite, S-Video, and component on the side of the fucking road on trash day not even half a year ago driving home from work.

This is not counting the hundreds that litter junk/thrift/pawn shops all across the area.

Or the ones on Craigslist in the free department
>>
>>15635362
>Laserdisc is not and never was an HD analog format.

WRONG

https://www.lddb.com/list.php?format=ld&list=muse

There were 1080 laserdiscs, though they only made a few dozen of them before the format died.
>>
Laserdisc packaging is cool and they seem like they'd be fun to collect. Kind of pointless as a format though.
>>
>>15635512
Marvel and Disney produced some bluray packages that are the size of laserdisc sleeves recently.
>>
>>15635522
I saw the Star Wars ones. Pretty neat.
>>
Honestly, I have a few LD from back in the day. (and an old CRT to watch them on.)

However, I really haven't been using them that much. 99% of what I love has either gotten a Blu-ray release or at least an acceptable DVD release that I can upscale.
>>
>>15635399
This.

You can still find a good to decent quality CRT if you look around hard enough. As long as you make sure the screen isn't damaged and/or dust isn't caking it, you will be fine.

However, they will probably start getting harder to find in another decade. Hell, spare parts are already becoming an issue for some of the higher end Sony sets.
>>
>>15635393
>>15635399
>>15635615
Actually, depending on where you live you might actually had brand new CRTs for sale a few years ago. Hell, got 3 like these at home bought on 2014. Last of their series as far as I know.
>>
File: bigo_lds.png (1MB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
bigo_lds.png
1MB, 900x675px
I think they're good for the cover art and nostalgia.

Recently got a full set of Big O LDs for $70, so I'm pretty happy.

>>15632793
>I'm trying to decide what player to get right now

If you can find it at a reasonable price (I paid $300 total), the Pioneer Laser Disk Player LD-S9 is pretty good.
>>
>>15636185

Huh, I had no idea Big O got a laserdisc release. What was that 98, 99? That was pretty late in the life of the format.

>LD-S9

Cheapest one on eBay is double that. Is that the one with the Red laser that reads through Laser Rotted discs?
>>
File: Dirty Pair LD.jpg (182KB, 1000x836px) Image search: [Google]
Dirty Pair LD.jpg
182KB, 1000x836px
If I had money, time and space to burn, I'd totally get into them but as it stands it's just another hobby I don't need.
>>
I own about 300ish LDs, various movies from the 70s through 90s. I don't have a whole lot of /m/ or anime in general, but I do have BGC. It's obviously an outdated format now, but 20 years ago it was the best you could get. Even early DVDs were worse due to compression issues. And the audio is fucking fantastic.

Is it worth the steep price of entry? Not really. Is it worth watching LD over DVD or BD? Again, not really. I don't think anybody is dumb enough to claim that LD is better quality than fucking Blu Ray. But it's an interesting novelty and on a CRT it looks absolutely fine. But just like I wouldn't want to play Sega Genesis on an HDTV, I wouldn't want to hook the LD player up to one either.
>>
>>15632793
I like the size of the dicks and the album like covers allowed for more art to be shown which is always nice.
>>
>>15635366
>This is like watching people discuss the Sega Saturn, then you come in reeeeing because the Saturn looks like shit on a Plasma screen

That's a really terrible comparison because the Saturn is its own thing and nothing came along that plays better versions of nearly its entire library. LD is a fascinating format but it serves no functional purpose these days that can't be easily outclassed for most of the material released on it unless you're watching really obscure stuff that never got a release beyond it and I swear to god if you try to claim it's the same for the Saturn I'm going to fucking fight you because almost all of the Saturn's library never got released on other consoles which is not the case for Laserdisc so don't even try that shit with me.
>>
>>15636714

Now this is a man who Love his SEGA Saturn. SEGAta Sanshiro would be proud.
>>
>>15636686
>I like the size of the dicks
Did you do that on purpose or do you have something on your mind?
>>
I've always been curious about how LaserDisc would look on a high-definition television, since TVs back then probably couldn't display the full quality of LD video.
>>
File: Segata.jpg (48KB, 484x667px) Image search: [Google]
Segata.jpg
48KB, 484x667px
>>15636714
Is... is that you Segata sensei?
>>
what anime still has only a laserdisc release?
>>
>>15637211
NTSC really got everything out of the format that's possible, I think.
afaik it doesn't even go beyond composite video natively

It's certainly fun to have the experience as it was, but yeah there isn't a whole lot for having them beyond A E S T H E T I C at this point outside of titles that never got a better release, stuff where later releases had changes, or because the big covers.
>>
>>15635362
That argument is bullshit because it would go for DVDs too... and for 720p video too.
Ever heard of image scaling?

You also ignored the important detail that anime is not supposed to be interlaced, the correct thing is to IVTC it and display it progressively - and after that you can scale to any resolution screen you want.
>>
>>15636443
>Huh, I had no idea Big O got a laserdisc release. What was that 98, 99?
Vol 1-7 were released through Feb-Sept 2000, actually. Rather late yes. I wish the 2nd season could've had a release. Also since Space Dandy has great cover artwork that would've looked awesome on a larger cover, it's too bad it wasn't released on LD either.

>Cheapest one on eBay is double that.
That's why I used Buyee.jp for Yahoo Auctions Japan (https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&fr=auc_top&p=ld-s9&x=0&y=0&fixed=0) and over there they're more reasonably priced (though there's then the international shipping, which due to the weight will be limited to EMS). But if you go this route be aware of any auction that has a mention of "junk", usually has some issues if that's in the title or description. I got lucky in that mine hadn't been used in a while but was previously confirmed as working (they couldn't test it as they no longer had any LDs)... was a bit of a gamble at that point, but all it needed was a LD and a few tries to fire up with one inside and it plays perfectly.

>Is that the one with the Red laser that reads through Laser Rotted discs?
Couldn't say about the laser, as so far I don't have any rotted discs, but according to this the X9 and X0 can: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/18-dvd-players-standard-def/16801-hld-s9-versus-ld-s9-single-shot-shootout.html However the both the X9 and X0 are even more expensive.
>>
>>15635362
>Scott Steiner discusses video format quality
>>
>>15632926
I STILL MAD!
>>
>>15633520
>Ebay

Dude.

Change to Japanese Middleman sites like Jauce, sure Fees and shipping is one thing, and there's teh issue if the LDs dont break in handling, but at least they are cheaper, I saw laserdiscs of Idol Project selling for like $2.
>>
>>15634936
>What's the best proxy I can use? I'm assuming yahoo japan is my best bet for secondhand laserdiscs right?

Buyee.jp is pretty good. They'll store your items for 30 days (was 60 but people kept going over so they reduced it) and at the 31st day you'll get a $1 extension fee (you have 60 days). Fees aren't very high and I've found customer service to be helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Via Buyee/YAJ I've done well and have full sets of LDs for:
Gundam Wing
G Gundam
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop (x2 sets, one with collection box)
Big O
Ronin Warriors (with collection box, along with the OVAs)
Trigun (both parts in their respective boxes)
Star Trek TNG/DS9/VOY (shipping was the biggest issue, with 14 TNG LD Boxes, I had them divide it in half, because the weight caused the initial shipping estimate to be ridiculous. Keep that in mind if you find LDs in set boxes sold in bulk)
Beast Wars (Season 1 only, wasn't released on LD after that)
>>
>>15641312
>>15638239
>Buyee
Idk if they've changed much since I last used them, but if they haven't, switch to zenmarket for yja because they'll save you money in the long run, big time. To make their pros short:
>no consolidation fees
>will ask for combined domestic shipping if you win multiple auctions from the same seller on the same day.
>doesn't automatically request sellers use registered shipping ( usually the most expensive option) domestically.
These three will probably save you the most. Lastly, back when I was using them, payment+service fees were always 350y per auction, but zenmarket has a flat 300y fee per auction. Plus I think they've still got a promotion going where you get 300 on signup, basically waiving the fee for your first order.
>>
>>15641312
>Star Trek TNG/DS9/VOY
is this the Japanese dub?
>>
>>15641312

How much would I expect them to charge to ship me a 14 LD set?
>>
>>15641356
>switch to zenmarket
I'll look into that, thanks.

>>15641435
>is this the Japanese dub?
Yes, but it has an English audio track as well. Unfortunately due to sales (this was when even in Japan there was a decline) the 5th seasons of DS9 and VOY were the last produced (TNG thankfully was done in full).

>>15641460
>How much would I expect them to charge to ship me a 14 LD set?
Really comes down to the weight. If they're 14 individual LDs being sold in a single auction, and not boxes (ie. TNG box's were holding 7 LDs each, thus that's around 98 LDs) then I think if I base it off of the seamail (cheapest via cargo boat, will take about 2 months) price for the Big O set (7 individual LDs) I'd say expect $25-45 for that method of shipping.
>>
>>15641529
>the 5th seasons of DS9 and VOY were the last produced (TNG thankfully was done in full).
ooh that sucks ass
In The Pale Moonlight is best in the original Japanese
still that's tempting on TNG, the nico copies are... well, on nico.
>>
>>15641547
>ooh that sucks ass
Tell me about it. I was happy to have found VOY on YAJ for around $15 each season, because on eBay they go for $300-400 for one season. But for both DS9 & VOY, there's the incompleteness that will never be resolved.

>>15641547
>In The Pale Moonlight is best in the original Japanese
I'll have to check that one out.

>>15641547
>still that's tempting on TNG, the nico copies are... well, on nico.
TNG LDs on YAJ are pretty common, from what I've seen. Probably more cost effective to get them one by one however.
>>
>>15641579
>TNG LDs on YAJ are pretty common, from what I've seen. Probably more cost effective to get them one by one however.
really if I'm going to drop the money and space and hassle of moving more goddamn laserdiscs on 90 TV SF LD it should be for Babylon 5 because the dvds crop shit like the Psy Corps ad
>>
File: Give a whistel.png (2MB, 1918x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Give a whistel.png
2MB, 1918x1080px
Don't spend to much anon, the video signal is still composite, so at best its a 480p YouTube video without compression.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.