[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can one of you help me out? I want to get into this series but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: Maetel.full.337108.jpg (106KB, 753x875px) Image search: [Google]
Maetel.full.337108.jpg
106KB, 753x875px
Can one of you help me out? I want to get into this series but I have no idea where to start. Do I start at Galaxy Express 999 or Queen Millennia? Also, if any of you have seen it, would you say it's aged well? I'm willing to overlook the sameface and all that in light of cool 80s-90s anime shit, but are there any huge problems?
>>
>>15630921
Queen Millennia has nothing in particular to do with the 999 tv or movies
999 tv is a long "planet of the week" show in a vein similar to the original Star Trek series
999 movies are movies inspired by the tv series

both are good in their own ways
>>
>>15631048
Are they all the same universe?
>>
>>15631061
not particularly
>>
>>15631061
The only consensus is that they're all shit. Especially the manga.
>>
>>15630921
The TV show is really long, so if you're just looking to test the waters, watch the two Galaxy Express movies along with Captain Harlock: Arcadia of my Youth. There are some Captain Harlock characters that show up in the the movies, so that gives some context into who they are. If you like those, then I'd move on to everything else.
>>
Where does Maetel Legend come in in regards to the timeline of events?
>>
>>15631420
None of the Galaxy Express animes are related to each other, except Adieu, which is a sequel to the first movie.
>>
Will this ever get an English DVD release, or is it stuck forever in Licencing hell?
>>
>>15631137
I liked the manga
>>
>>15632684
I wouldn't be surprised if Discotek releases it at some point. They've released the movies and some of the OVAs. The series is on a few streaming services like crunchyroll and tubiTV.
>>
File: littlegirls1.jpg (35KB, 289x312px) Image search: [Google]
littlegirls1.jpg
35KB, 289x312px
>>15630921
What >>15631324 said. When you are watching stuff from Leiji, just watch and don't bother with continuity. Some things might reference others, but nothing will ever fit 100% to any other timeline, except if it was intended to be, like the GE999 movies (except for the third) and the movie Captain Harlock: Arcadia of my Youth and the anime SSX Orbit.
>>
>>15633076
What the fuck are those aliens?
>>
File: Maetel-Emeraldas-6.jpg (121KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Maetel-Emeraldas-6.jpg
121KB, 1024x576px
>>15633985
La Metalians.
>>
>>15630921
While there are some recurrent characters you should just treat them like capeshit's alternate universes, all series/OVA are more or less standalones with their own continuity and variations of events, so you can really start anywhere you like.
I'd personally suggest you to start with Queen Millennia, either the TV series or the movie(I personally prefer the movie because it concentrates all the key elements of the show which is overly long sometimes), I tell you this because it has one of the most recurrent characters in the Leijiverse that appears directly or indirectly in most works and is almost constantly referenced, that way you'll understand many plot points and characters without wondering who and what the fuck are they talking about.
>>
>>15631061
Yes.
>>15630921
Production order.
Manga and anime are to be kept separate.
>>
>>15631420
Maetel Legend is basically a proto Space Symphony Maetel. Which is a prequel to GE999.
>>
Watch Queen Milenia then watch Maetel Legends, Queen Emeraldas OVA,Arcadia of my youth and Harlock SSX finally watch Space Symphony Maetel after that you can watch eaither the GE999 movies or you can read the manga.

If you want to continue with the Leijiverse you can watch Cosmo Warrior Zero and The Galaxy Railways, after that read the Captain Harlock Manga, you can also watch the anime but the anime changes things.
>>
>>15638087
Arcadia of My Youth, SSX, and Queen Emeraldas have like nothing to do with GE999. The Queen Emeraldas OVA also removes a bunch of cool stuff from the manga.
>>
>>15638087
>>15638150
Jesus Christ. I guess I tackle all this shit after I finish Gundam. Lot of shit cut out for me though, guess I'll just have to make time.
>>
>>15638150
Arcadia of My Youth and SSX helps you understand Tochiro's character better, that's why I add those, I just love that midget.
>>
>>15630921
Queen Millennia hasnt been translated yet. It's prequel to GE999.

Watch GE999 TV series, the movie version has different ending and lacks stuff, because GE999 is like 117 episodes and the compilation movies doesn't give same sense of journey.

If I were you, I'd watch Harlocks in production order and then jump into GE999 and other Leiji stuff and then cry because it will take another 30 years for Queen Millennia to get translations.
>>
>>15639964
Queen Millennia has 30 something episodes translated and an ongoing manga translation.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.