[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kotaku interviewed Sakamoto about Samus Returns and other Metroid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 276
Thread images: 34

since it's shitaku article i'm also linking the repost on nintendoeverything instead for convenience:
http://nintendoeverything.com/metroid-samus-returns-development-complete-sakamoto-on-the-wait-for-2d-metroid-other-m-criticism-more/

On how this whole thing came together:
>Sakamoto: It started about two years ago. I’ve been wanting to make a 2D Metroid game for quite a while, and I’ve been thinking about what sort of team I’d like to work with when creating such a game. At some point during all of this, I heard from our folks over at Nintendo of Europe that this developer MercurySteam was interested in making a remake of a classic Metroid game.
>"I heard MercurySteam and I knew they’d made some Castlevania titles, so I thought it was possible there was an affinity for our title as well. I said, ‘Well, man, I gotta meet these guys, let’s go to Spain.’ So we flew to Spain. MercurySteam had created a small prototype for me to take a look at. I looked at it, talked to them, got a sense of what their team was about, and said, ‘Yeah, let’s see what we can do together.’"

Why it’s on the 3DS and not the Switch:
>Sakamoto: "That was really my decision. One of the big reasons for that is the 2DS/3DS family have two screens. That lent itself so well to the map screen functionality that I’ve been wanting to put into the game that we hadn’t seen before, the ability to have the map screen always on. So it was a very obvious choice."
>"I wanted to be able to have that free-aiming mechanic, and the analog stick allowed for us to do that. And Metroid, that series, that world-building, that feeling of where you’re at... that level design, all those things combined really make great use of the glasses-free 3D functionality."
>"So if I take that: the 3D functionality, analog stick, second screen, put that all together, and the 3DS [is the best fit]."

(cont.)
>>
File: smashniggers btfo.png (292KB, 1282x449px) Image search: [Google]
smashniggers btfo.png
292KB, 1282x449px
On why it’s taken so long to make a new 2D Metroid game:
>Sakamoto: "I’m working on other titles outside of Metroid, of course. I’ve been fairly busy with stuff. There’s a lot of timing involved when all the pieces fall into place, and we have the ability to do some of these things we’ve been thinking about for a long time. I guess for us the timing was two years ago. Or now."

On how criticism of Metroid: Other M has affected the depiction of Samus
>Sakamoto: "To be honest, as far as wanting to change that depiction of Samus, I made what I wanted to make. It did give me some momentum, I guess, and the ability to look at Samus from a new viewpoint, and maybe reconsider what I wanted to show about her."

On how 3D and 2D Metroid games are handled at Nintendo:
>Sakamoto: "There’s no close proximity to those things. We’re not really in communication. Obviously we talk about, ‘Hey what’re you guys doing, this is what we’re doing, let’s not release these [games] all at the same time, or hey maybe we should release these at the same time.’ There’s that level of communication."
>"Of course [veteran Nintendo producer Kensuke] Tanabe worked on the Metroid Prime series. And he comes and says, ‘Hey this is what we’re going to be doing,’ and lets us know what’s going on [with his team]."

On Sakamoto’s final thoughts:
>Sakamoto: "I just want people to be able to play it as soon as possible. I think once they play it they’ll understand a lot of the things we’re trying to present this time. They can look forward to having an orthodox Metroid experience, plus new stuff."
now that's out of the way, let's talk some /m/etroid
>>
>>15626475
>"I wanted to be able to have that free-aiming mechanic, and the analog stick allowed for us to do that.
That's a confusing justification seeing as the Switch has two perfectly good control sticks.
>>
>>15626504
Let's hope Prime 4 uses those control sticks to good use.
>>
>>15626475
>One of the big reasons for that is the 2DS/3DS family have two screens
Shit, now that he points it out the DS didn't even get a 2D-style Metroid. This will literally be the only one to take advantage of two screens. It's a shame it had to be at the end of the 3DS' life, but I'm glad it exists.
>>
File: Kittan not bad.gif (1011KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
Kittan not bad.gif
1011KB, 500x273px
>>15626475
>>15626532
So this is what it feels like to get something you want...
>>
>>15626475
I really like the new varia
>>
>>15626532
I mean the double screen was made for maps so map heavy games only make sense
>>
>>15626532
There was Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS.
>>
>>15626711
He said 2D-style.
>>
>>15626476
>maybe reconsider what I wanted to show about her.

You bet your ass you were right to reconsider Samus's characterization in Other M.
>>
>>15626807
Stop crying over nothing
>>
>>15626475
Sakamoto should be banned from working on this series.
>>
File: 1494738104325.jpg (22KB, 250x212px) Image search: [Google]
1494738104325.jpg
22KB, 250x212px
>>15626964
You mean like Samus did in Other M?
>>
>>15626964
THE
>>
Hopefully if this does well, Sakamoto will finally learn that fucking no one wants Metroid to have a story or that Samus doesn't need "emotional depth."
>>
I'm worried about this one. Sakamoto can't seem to let go of the idea of Metroid incorporating elements from popular action games despite it being so divorced from what people like about the games, and this new title looks just as guilty of that as Other M.
I hope that close range counter has some sort of cool down, because it looks like it will make entire enemy types (namely the base form of the titular creature) completely harmless.
>>
>>15626980
BABY
>>
>>15626980
BABY
>>
>>15626980
MEMES, JACK
>>
let's talk about how great the Prime games are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBc9hy0WOXk
>>
File: 1497476590505.jpg (36KB, 435x482px) Image search: [Google]
1497476590505.jpg
36KB, 435x482px
pirates are brilliant
>>
Wow, looking forward to this being a total piece of shit now. I'll pirate it on day one. Probably delete it after ten minutes like Federation Force.
>>
>>15626475
>I heard MercurySteam and I knew they’d made some Castlevania titles, so I thought it was possible there was an affinity for our title as well.
>Explicitly choosing someone known for making a bad Castlevania title because they did Castlevania

All hopes dashed.
>>
File: DoomTroid_by_AlexRoadway.jpg (1MB, 794x1224px) Image search: [Google]
DoomTroid_by_AlexRoadway.jpg
1MB, 794x1224px
well fuq, atleast DOOM 2016 showed sakamoto that samus doesn't need to be that stupid bimbo to be a great character as she was before and in Prime

Though if the rumors are right, Nintendo is receiving some help from Id Software to make Prime 4 on the same vein as NuDoom due to their "new proximity thanks to bugthesda"
>>
>>15627221
No one ever said that Sakamoto isn't a retard.
>>
>>15626991

It doesn't. The woman playing during Nintendo's E3 Tree House event uses it several times in quick succession on a few occasions.
>>
Sakamoto better not fuck this up
>>
>>15626972
>>15626980
>things that only retards care about
Thanks for proving my point
>>
>>15627524
What was your point exactly?
>>
>>15626475

In Nintendo's 40 minute preview the game looks really slow, even in morph ball mode. However, the animations look great.
>>
>>15627526
ever wonder why Sakamoto also said story-focus is going into the trash in Samus Returns?
>playing Metroid for the story
>>
>>15627548
>>15627555

as >>15627307 said, the next metroid games will play more as the classic metroid and prime games, but on the same vein as NuDoom

which isn't bad since Prime team is now working at id and they worked on the new Doom's levels and the game turned out great

>and stating that he is still the sameguy

Also they know about AM2R and its pretty much confirmed that nintendo took that long to DMCA'd because they wanted to keep the hype alive until it was hosted everywhere.

ironically they took notes from AM2R and ZM to make some things on MSR, which is great.
>>
>>15627555
The background story and lore is great. Besides, Metroid 2 has no story other than "Go exterminate this species."
>>
>>15626964
The thumbs-up sign had been used by the Galactic Federation for ages. Me, I was known for giving the thumbs-down during briefing. I had my reasons, though. Commander Adam Malkovich was normally cool and not one to joke around, but he would end all of his mission briefings by saying, "Any objections, Lady?" He was joking, but others weren't. At the time I felt surrounded by people who treated me like a child or used kid gloves because I was a woman. And yet, with Adam, I was grateful for the nod. My past has left me with an uneasy soul, and as a result, it touched me on some level that Adam would acknowledge that past by calling something delicate, like "Lady." And I knew more than anyone that every word from Adam was deliberate. My thumbs-down was a twofold response: a sign of derision at being called a lady, and a signal of my complete understanding of the mission orders. The other soldiers were always willing to support me with easy smiles despite the fact that I clearly had so much yet to learn. Among them was Anthony. In the face of his well-meaning behavior, and that of the other soldiers, my response was to become increasingly bitter. I was a child, always with something to prove. A chip on my shoulder. And I was angry. I felt that if I let my guard down, I would easily be broken. And beyond that, I was scared. But even in the naiveté of my youth, I could see in Adam's joking manner how close he felt to me. Adam knows my past. And he knows me better than anyone else. Confession time. Because I was so young when I lost both of my parents, there's no question I saw Adam as a father figure. When I rebelled against him, I knew I could get away with it. And his paternal compassion in the face of my rebellion reinforced the special bond I felt with him. I understood well that chances were slim that I would ever find anyone that understood me like Adam. And yet, when the time came, I still left his side. I was so young. Young and naive...
>>
File: Wario_Throne.jpg (47KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Wario_Throne.jpg
47KB, 600x600px
>>15626532
>tfw Aliens: Infestation was the closest thing to 2-D style Metroid on the DS
Not that I'm complaining, but it's pretty odd that other companies have to provide a Metroid experience instead of the Big N.
>>
File: 1470783218766.png (2MB, 2328x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1470783218766.png
2MB, 2328x2000px
Reminder that this thing is canonically 4.3 meters tall, 3.2 tons, and moves at a speed of 27.2 km/h according to the Japanese website
and four of them still beat a brainwashed, giant Samus
>>
>>15627578
What are some other Metroid-esque games that cane out in the last ten years? I know most of the metroidvania but most of them borrow more from the -vania side then Metroid.
>>
>>15627684
Axiom Verge comes to mind.
>>
>>15627684
Shadow Complex
>>
>>15626476
Interesting how detached his team is with the Prime guys. They really are practically separate franchises.
>>
>>15627578

I hope there's a Warioware game for the Switch too, now that you remind me of him. They're generally what something like 1-2 Switch tried to be.
>>
>>15627578
Aliens: Infestation could have been a bit longer but man it was fun. WayForward probably could have made a great Metroid if given the resources.
>>
>>15627694
it's like Mario vs DK and Donkey Kong Country
>>
>>15627688
>>15627691
Already played those but they're pretty good.
>>
>>15627697
1 2 Switch should have been a WW game
>>
>>15627569
damn and people bitched about heavy dialogue in Metroid Prime 3
>>
>>15627165
with fans like you no wonder the series went quiet
>>
>>15627595
i should play FF at some point
>>
>>15627750
>implying Nintendo gives a shit
they knew unveiling Metroid Prime 4 would pacify a majority of complaints from the fanbase. AM2R fanboys are nothing but in the minority.
>>
>>15627752
pirate it
it's mediocre
>>
>>15627697
Yeah, but Game & Wario possibly killed that chance. Hopefully the VC sales of older games can encourage that.
>>
>>15627684
Guacamelee
Ori and the Blind Forest
SteamWorld Dig 2 comes out soon
>>
>>15627758

the problem is that only the minority of autistic fanboys is hating it

AM2R devs are loving it because they helped it to keep the Hype for a new game alive

ironically because nintendo gave the community enough time to spread AM2R everywhere until the DMCA took over

even the AM2R reddit is still up with the links there, they know it and they don't care, it helped to keep the hype alive until E3, and now they will leave it as it is.

As for Prime 4, again what anon said above

They are going for the New Doom route for it, because that game showed that Prime Formula is still alive and well, there's still room for a Metroid Prime game nowadays using the same and upgraded formula, in Both Character and Gameplay.

they just need to keep samus like this and its enough, she doesn't need 2 talk, only keep Jen Hale doing her normal voice over and grunt

>yeah im using the fat fucktard closet faggot video, but it states how samus should be, there's no need to be that other M shitsshow, just keep as the og shit, badass bounty hunter, hates aliens, royally pissed off with GF experiments and Space Pirates, nothing less.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphprlpAVyE
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6X1TFRvI0
>>
File: Metroid Prime 4 Fact Sheet.png (222KB, 1581x2046px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Prime 4 Fact Sheet.png
222KB, 1581x2046px
>>15627830
according to the fact sheet, while they're going to introduce new things for the newly numbered Prime sub-series, they are also going back to the roots of the original Metroid Prime game
>>
>>15627834

which was ironically Retro's own homage to Doom 64 and FPS games in general

Prime itself was great because of that, andi still play it nowadays because of it

its far better than Halo 1
>>
>>15627567
>background story
That's not a thing that exists.

>>15627830
>the Samus has a personality meme
>again

>>15627838
>homage
Been seeing this bad meme a lot lately.
>>
>>15627866

>lost /v/irgin on /m/aster grounds

You didn't came here to hunt right?
>>
>>15627866
What crawled up your butt? You clearly don't like Metroid so why are you even here?
>>
>>15627684
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurge:_Hive
>>
>>15627135

I always enjoy how the Prime series turned the Space Pirates from flat "villainous alien people" to "batshit crazy and suicidally determined in their pursuit of SCIENCE."
>>
>>15627927
The failed Morph Ball and "Please don't feed the Metroids" crack me up every time.
>>
>>15627684
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puVabMU7glY
>>
>>15626475
>Shittaku
>>
>>15627964
>having autism
>>
>>15627964
That's why he reposted the article, friendo.
>>
>>15626475
It doesn't hurt that the 3DS/2DS have like 60 million units out in the world, compared to the Switch's 1.2 million.
>>
>>15627569
That's cute. I like the idea of a Samus that has doubts about her path.
>>
>>15627996
won't hurt as much as PS4 nearing over the amount of the worst selling Nintendo handheld.
>>
>>15627750
I'd rather it just fucking stay dead with these last two dumpster fires under its belt, and not four.
>>
>>15628010
or just quit the franchise like a little tiny dick bitch you are.
>>
>>15627943

>Injury Report 07.200.07
>Unit 686 released a Metroid for target practice today: the Metroid then assaulted 686. He should be regaining brain functions in a cycle.
>>
>>15628081
>You read logs on how they've successfully replicated Samus' beam weapons this time around
>Think nothing of it, just enjoy the offscreen pirate activity
>Get attacked by said beam-wielding pirates shortly after
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>15628083
i loved these dudes. especially the Wave Troopers.
normally i have a hard time with these assholes since Wave Beam doesn't do much damage as Plasma or Ice
>>
>>15627569
This game... was so fucking stupid. I never thought I'd want to know LESS about Samus' past.
>>
>>15628010
If you're not going to play it anyway why do you give a shit?

I thought Federation Force looked like ass, so I didn't play it like a reasonable person.
>>
>>15626532
Mega Man ZX? Castlevania???
>>
>>15628083

You have to wonder, this being the Space Pirates we're talking about, how many failures they had though. How many Pirates were melted from the inside or fatally frozen or electrocuted to death before they perfected the beam Troopers?
>>
>>15628256
>suggesting that fucking mess of a Mega-Metroidvania
i really love Aile but come on dude.
>>
>>15628293
>fucking mess
????
>>
>>15626475
>knowingly choosing MercurySteam

Sakamoto's still an idiot, I see. Not spending a dime on this.
>>
>>15628305
the map was really bad. like, it doesn't even help you to remember which area you went since it's too apart from the gameplay
>>
>>15628318
>the map was really bad.
It was, But I knew where to go most of the time. So it wasn't a big deal for me.
>>
>>15628326
It's fine as a Mega Man game it's kind of poop if you want it to scratch the Metroidvania itch though.
>>
>>15627769
i dont know how to pirate 3ds games
i was under the impression that the emulation scene is still early days and that the system updates keep it noy pirate freindly
>>
>>15627750
Fans are not obligated to blindly support everything that is put out there.

Sounds like Fire Emblem.

>J-Just be glad y-you're getting a new game, guys!
>>
>>15628350
there's being mad cause the game released was a turd like Other M
then theres screeching cause its not a game YOU wanted like with FF
>>
>>15628350
funny, outside the bitching, people still go right on ahead and buy em

sounds like meleefags and Super Smash Bros.
>>
>>15627866
>>background story
>That's not a thing that exists.
???
>>
Calm the fuck down, everyone.

Zero Mission was fine, and this will be too.
>>
>>15628559
Zero Mission was developed 13 years ago by a Nintendo internal development team that also worked on Super Metroid.

This game is being developed by MercurySteam, the team that worked on Lords of Shadow.
>>
>>15628451
>questioning a pleb shitposter from /v/
>>
>>15628559

Asking Metroid fans to calm down is like asking Muslims not to bomb.
>>
>>15628081
>That one Pirate that got pissed about having no power for his department so he turned off all of the space pirate toilets
>That one Pirate that tried to domesticate a Metroid and got himself and another pirate killed

Space Pirates are the fucking best. They better come back in Prime 4.
>>
>>15627555
>playing Metroid for the story
Story-driven design worked fine in Fusion and Prime 3.

Other M's problem wasn't the heavy focus on story, it was the heavy focus on a bad story.
>>
>>15628941
This. At least it gave us one of the most based Metroid characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twRjZjhjV4A
Anthony was too good for this game.
>>
>>15628918

Oh come on Metroid fans aren't that bad.
>>
>>15628256
I'm reasonably sure those aren't Metroid games.
>>
>>15628574
maybe heavy involvement by Nintendo will make it work out
i mean the video they showed off during e3 looked great
>>
>>15629051
>i mean the video they showed off during e3 looked great
Aside from the unnecessarily slow pace of gameplay and the fact that the melee counter outright trivialized everything up to and including gamma metroids, you mean?
>>
>>15628941
The funny thing is, Sakamoto was on Fusion, so if anything he was no longer on a leash when Other M came along.
>>
>>15628018
What a fucking crybaby. I'm sorry that I refuse to buy bad games and would rather they just not make any instead of putting out shit.

>>15628371
>implying Federation Force wasn't total shit
>implying the fanbase wasn't right to say "please just cancel this now, it's not going to sell and you're just going to lose money"
>implying that not liking Federation Force is a problem with me when the game only sold 100k copies

>>15628223
Good question. They're obviously too incompetent to make something decent nowadays, so really, I should be enjoying the dumpster fire while it lasts.
>>
>>15629011

But they are. No matter what happens they bitch and whine and panic because "m-muh precious space hunter waifu is RUINED." They're never satisfied and always try to pick apart everything to find the worst possible thing and blow it up way out of proportion.

They're getting TWO new mainline games soon after thinking Nintendo shelved the franchise after Federation Force and they're STILL bitching about it, acting like they're automatically doomed to failure just because of Sakamoto's involvement and AM2R existing.
>>
>>15628002
What?

>>15628318
The map was fine.

>>15629011
They are.

>>15628350
FE has always been shit, so I fail to see your point.
>>
>>15629522
They're getting a remake of a Metroid game nobody gives a shit about, that looks clunky and casual as fuck.

They're getting a fourth game in the Prime series made by people who haven't ever worked on the games before. That alone isn't a problem, but considering how retarded Nintendo has been with Metroid after Prime 3, can you blame people for expecting the worst?
>>
Ridleys evolution from little birdie was cool at least.
>>
>>15629522
Nigger, it's been nearly a fucking decade since Prime 3 came out. Since then, we got:
>Other M
>Federation Force

>TWO new mainline games
We're getting a remake of a shit game that they only threw together because they saw that AM2R was popular, and we're getting a new Prime game more than 10 years after the last one, which they put off in favor of making Federation Force, a game that nobody bought.

>AM2R existing
Speaking of which, they only C&D'd AM2R after seeing the mainstream attention it got. I'm excited to watch Nintendo's remake flop like a fucking flounder, and I say this as somebody who never even touched AM2R. All Nintendo does nowadays is shit on their fans, but maybe if you keep gargling their semen, we will be graced with a remake of Super Metroid that makes the game look like shit and makes it way easier.
>>
>>15629579

i inmagine that you also shitpost on /fog/ and /wow/ about how all bethesda + blizzard games sucks and how SJWBsidian is the greatest meme company ever...

nigga just kys
>>
>>15629609
What in the actual fuck are you even talking about?
>>
Reminder that the Metroid fights in AM2R were jank as fuck due to redefining the metroid hitboxes yet still preserving the AI logic of face fuck Samus as aggressively as possible.

Having played both it and original Met2 I can totally understand why the parry mechanic exists, there is otherwise no elegant way to push shit back and get some breathing room going on, and Met2 is a game where you can get jumped real easily by Metroids with asshole AI if you aren't shitting missiles at them.
>>
>>15629579
>We're getting a remake of a shit game

If people cared about the quality of the games they're playing, there wouldn't be any Metroid fans.
>>
File: dIsTj9x.png (29KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dIsTj9x.png
29KB, 800x600px
>>15627943
>>
>>15628918
Cry some more, F-Zero fans.
>>
>>15628925
>Metroids are not pets. Metroids are not for target practice.
>Unauthorized feeding of Metroids is STILL strictly prohibited.
>>
>>15629248
>Metroid enemies
>Even remotely difficult to take down
Only ones I can even remember having the slightest problem with were those teleporting space pirate assholes in Prime 2, and I wouldn't have even bothered with those had the door locks not forced me to fight them.
>>
>>15629868
>teleporting space pirate assholes in Prime 2
oh yeah, they had those using the portal thing weren't they?
I remember you can scan a certain metroid in agon wastes that seems to have indigestion
>>
>>15629868
Freeze them with the Dark Beam then missile them.
>>
File: captsmacktalk.jpg (57KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
captsmacktalk.jpg
57KB, 500x374px
>>15629849
It's okay, anon. I remember F-Zero too.
>>
>>15629928
It's not like Nintendo will let us forget about it, either.
>Mario Kart 8/DX
>Smash Bros. 4
But at least Wipeout's Omega HD Collection can scratch that futuristic racer itch.
>>
>>15629928
I liked that look for Captain Falcon. Sorta Judge Dredd-like.
>>
>>15629248
you mean the slow pace of the intro level and the DOOM style resource grabber?
>>
>>15629579
>because they saw that AM2R was popular
oh so you literally have no idea what soever how game development works!
>>
>>15629659
not to mention that the Melee Counter seems very influenced by DOOM 2016, in the way that using it will yield health and weapon energy
>>
>>15630014

that is because captain falcon's look was inspired on dredd, the comics were popular in japan
>>
>>15629928

Why would Nintendo bother with F-Zero again when Mario Kart makes them so much more money?
>>
>>15630018
>fan-made remake of a game that isn't very popular comes out
>gets C&D'd only after receiving widespread attention, despite being in development for years
>at the very next E3, Nintendo shows off a remake of the same game

Oh nevermind you're right, remakes take years and years to develop just like brand new titles and it's purely a coincidence that they decided to release a total piece of shit first before focusing their efforts on the remake that they wanted to make all along.
>>
>>15630035
Good taste on the japs for that.
>>
>>15630041
You seriously think they only started working on this game after A2MR came out? It's out in September and from the looks of it, it is practically a brand new title. It's not like they just gave the GB game a new coat of paint.
>>
>>15630089
It's not like AM2R was an epiphany. People have been asking for a Metroid 2 remake since Zero Mission. It was probably one of the most requested games from the fanbase.
>>
Meteoidfags just want Super over and over again and cry whenever something even slightly different comes out. What else is new?
>>
>>15630116
Well, you're not exactly wrong. Metroid hadn't gotten a game between the SNES and Gamecube eras, simply because Super Metroid would be hard to top.
>>
>>15630134
I'm glad it didn't. The N64 was shit.
>>
>>15630134
>simply because Super Metroid would be hard to top.
I thought it was because Gunpei Yokoi was the big force behind them through Super and then he died
>>
>>15630144
N64 was fine
>>
>>15630193
That does seem to be one contributing factor, but here:
https://www.gamestm.co.uk/features/yoshio-sakamoto-discusses-metroid-64-metroid-dread-and-the-unwritten-future-of-the-warioware-series/
>>
>>15630134
How to upstage Super:
>quality of life improvements
>introduce a pursuer enemy

Now you're going to say "but Fusion isn't better than Super," and I'm not going to debate that, but if you were actually stalked by a dynamic persistent enemy type in a game that was otherwise Super with more content, I would bet money people would have strong debates over Super risking being dethroned.

Or at the very least people will complain that someone got RE3 in their cave exploring adventure game.

Also to be honest Super does have stuff that could be polished, mostly in the user experience end (I'm on the fence with the run button though because honestly the shit it does to your jump height when you get speed boost is part of the game experience), but it's such a sacred cow I'm sure people will defend its 1st gen minimap because it's Super.
>>
>>15630236
Zero Mission and Prime were already both better than Super anyway. People who say otherwise are le sequence break fags
>>
>>15630236
I've never gotten the issues people have with the run button or the map.

>>15630263
You base this off of?
>>
>>15630236
>>15630272
I had more trouble with the weapon cycling than anything.
>>
>>15630041
Sakamoto literally started on the project like a year before AM2R was even close to completion. but keep roaming on your conspiracy on shut downs leading to official releases

no better than those Pokemon Star faggots playing patternfaggotry with Pokemon Prism
>>
File: mario mute city.jpg (164KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
mario mute city.jpg
164KB, 800x450px
>>15630039
To fuse the two games into one!
>>
>>15630280
That's fair enough, though I found it fine.
>>
>>15630272
The gen 1 map isn't bad so much as the gen 2 iteration the gba games have is strictly better by virtue of marking whether or not you got an item in a room with one.

That said I'm actually kinda liking that SR is adding map markers, that's a feature I'd have killed for in the Prime series and would easily be welcome in a normal Metroid just to remind you of any places you'd like to revisit. It's a small quality of life improvement with great payoff potential.

As for the run button it's mostly an artifact of design and the gba games prove it's not a needed one. The more awkward control aspect imo is actually weapon switching, which is far more elegant in the GBA titles using the shoulder shift-button method. Same goes for angled aiming but my issue with Super's take on angling is that it's easy for me to think that L and R are up and down relative to facing (shoulder towards your facing direction vs shoulder away from your facing direction) rather than always being aim up or aim down, which creates input error. So it's not a fault of the game per se but I feel it could've been done better even then, maybe using a Contraesque lock movement / lock angle system.
>>
>>15629491
>What a fucking crybaby.
fucking kek, says the fag who STILL whines about a fangame you can still download off of google.

why dont you scurry along to /v/ and join those group of autists who think dissing the fanbase would help them gain some cool kid cred with the Fire Emblem or Smash faggots.
>>
>>15626475
We all know the only reason they made Samus Returns is because of AM2R.
>>
>>15630208
Metroid 4 looked pretty awful before it became Fusion senpai
>>
>>15630039
you can be a big enough franchise, you can even be a branch of a giant series, yet a small as fuck major IP gets two games over some worthy follow up to a long running sub-series

see: Kid Icarus getting a revival over 2D Metroid and Samus Returns over Wario getting another Land game.
>>
>>15630041
dude this game was probably in the making since FF if not before
you realize making a game takes time right?
>>
>>15630355
I'd like to hear more about pre-Fusion 4. I tried TCRF but they didn't have much about it that I could find.
Any suggestions about where I could find detailed info?
>>
File: edgelord samus.png (312KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
edgelord samus.png
312KB, 640x480px
>>15630524
some found a really clear enough clip of the early Fusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntFZa5AOV6w
>>
>>15630347
Fair enough opinions even if I don't agree with them.
>>
>>15630566
i like the logo design at least
>>
>>15627565
I'm going to bet that while AM2R was on the drawing board first, MSR used very little from it.

As for AM2R, Nintendo is pretty good about letting fan works that people actually put effort into get out before they have to drop the hammer on it unlike SE or Konami. (Who normally wait until right before it's ready to be released before hitting it with a C&D in order to maximize the amount of time wasted.) I remember some really awful fan made live action Ocarina of Time movie. And it was bad. An atrocious atrocity. The only things I vividly remember while watching it on some /v/ stream was the Goron was an asian guy while he and Link were going up some pitiful excuse of a hill that was supposed to be Death Mountain, and Ganondorf was killed by having his head cut off by Link has he did a front flip. And Nintendo did pull out the C&D. But their lawyers actually coordinated with the people who made the movie and allowed people to distribute it for a week or two (Including showing it in some movie theater) so everyone who actually wanted to see it could before it had to be shut down.

Plus, it's not like once it's released you can squash it, someone is always going to re-upload it somewhere so the fact it's allowed to be released in the first place even if there is a C&D means they are giving fan projects leeway.
>>
File: file061239.jpg (269KB, 1322x920px) Image search: [Google]
file061239.jpg
269KB, 1322x920px
>>15630772
Forgot mah trip

>>15627927
Never underestimate the power of LORE.
The science team has vapor for brains

>>15630566
Reminds me a bit of the rejected pitch for what was called Metroid Prime 1.5.
>>
>>15630772
im not shitting on AM2Rbut isnt it literally just Metroid 2 with with Zero Mission mechanics and graphics?
SR is a rehaul with new mechanics graphics and less clunky progression
i mean apart from maybe using it as a hyper barometer i doubt AM2R had a significant impact on SR at all
>>
>>15630355
That was a pretty early prototype but I don't disagree that Fusion probably worked out way better on the GBA.
>>
>>15631080
It's a little more refined than that with its own elements added as well, but ultimately yes, the two are going to play like completely different games.
>>
>>15631080
It's Metroid 2 using Zero Mission's 'Engine' and graphics, but it does add its own flare so it's not like it's just a rom hack. For an amateur game, it's pretty good even if it borrows almost all of its assets.
Also, anyone still play Federation Force? I just picked it up and finding people to play with online is pulling teeth, let alone trying to get all the medals.
>>
File: ayEiGwY.jpg (272KB, 3058x812px) Image search: [Google]
ayEiGwY.jpg
272KB, 3058x812px
>>15629850
>>15628925
>>15628081
I can't recall too much about the Space Pirate Logs in Echoes, but they kinda lost that strange dry humor in Corruption for sure.

If you notice in Prime 1, they come off as incredibly professional in regards to how they handle punishment within their ranks, giving out formal occupational hazard warnings, and what not. All this, just have to disregard their horrible experiments.
>>
>>15631226
The lack of comedy in 3 is explained by them all being under the influence of Dark Samus and Phazon at that point. Echoes was kinda midway between the two. There was some humor, but it was more serious because their situation was more serious. There's a couple logs about them freaking out with two Samus'.
>>
>>15631156
>>15631178
i didnt think it was a bare bones thing but i new it was mostly a mild modernization with a good polish.
i just thought that people who saw SR and thought it was either a AM2R rip off or made to "compete" with it are morons
>>
>>15631178
Made in the style of, you mean: AM2R is a GameMaker game, completely different engine.
>>
>>15631353
Samus Returns doesn't have to compete with AM2R. That's why they gave AM2R a C&D.
>>
>>15631226
>>15631351
>After our liberation, she left us adrift. We thought this a test of our loyalty, and so we endured. Some said she abandoned us. They were promptly shot. Disciples do not doubt their leader.

>When she returned, it was on the back of a titanic starborne beast! As we groveled in awe, she ordered us to follow the beast through a rift in space, a wormhole. Some refused to follow, afraid of the unknown. They too were shot. Disciples must be fearless.

oh boy
>>
>>15631178
If you're still looking for FedFarce partners I just got a physical copy for shits and could use the promise of a partner being there to make the coop experience work as intended.
>>
>>15626991
To be fair parry systems incentivize devs to amp up enemy aggro, under the premise that the parry is a sufficient safety net against getting gangbanged to oblivion.

It's not like it's going to be a character action game parry where you can cancel parries with parries and do all the defensive things, I think you just get one good parry hitbox per animation and a single whiff is all it takes to get glomped during the rest of the animation.
>>
>>15632292
Yeah, Prime 3 pirate logs were still pretty hilarious at times. I don't know what people were complaining about.
>>
>>15632808
well, that one in particular is the last one you encounter
the rest of the space pirate logs in Prime 3 are of them slowly becoming Dark Samus' zealots
>>
File: 1497373795711.jpg (107KB, 933x856px) Image search: [Google]
1497373795711.jpg
107KB, 933x856px
>>15632292
>>15632808
>HELL YEAH LET'S JUMP INTO THAT WORMHOLE WITHOUT EVEN WONDERING ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES

that's some serious loyalty
>>
>>15632797
i said it before i think this is gonna be how you get health and ammo and energy like in DOOM 2016
>>
>>15632857
So like does Dark Samus have a face and body? i assumed her and SA-X were just just facsimiles of her armor with intelligence
>>
>>15632961
You already get health and ammo from killing enemies in all Metroids.
>>
>>15632965
i mean this specific mechanic causes them to drop it, other wise resources are rare. like in DOOM
>>
>>15632964
The SA-X has empty eyes and a nose, at least.
>>
File: DarkSamus.jpg (218KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DarkSamus.jpg
218KB, 1920x1080px
>>15632964
>>15633001
The suit is her body.
>>
>>15632994
killing enemies seems to provide plenty of resources and is the only way to get missiles from what we've seen
>>
>>15632994
That sounds pretty shit
>>
>>15633008
that mildly horrifying
>>
>>15633080
works really wel in doom, incentivizes forward momentum in combat
>>
>>15633008
jesus christ how horrfying
>>
File: 6e304fea3dc3c294d7c20bca6faee4c2.jpg (282KB, 752x1024px) Image search: [Google]
6e304fea3dc3c294d7c20bca6faee4c2.jpg
282KB, 752x1024px
>>15632964
No, but it would be ridiculously hot if she did.
>>
>>15633178
meh
>>
>>15631226
You know. I never really thought about how big the morph ball is. That is a huge sphere, I think if someone saw that rolling around, it would unnerve them like hell. That's like a 3 and a half foot diameter.

>>15631351
>Our nightmares have come to pass, it seems there are TWO Hunters.
>>
>>15627684
Hollow Knight
>>
>>15633405
The morph ball is a full meter in diameter, yes. It consistently looks smaller than its actual size, but it is rather large.
>>
File: 1375589886797.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1375589886797.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>15632857
By Metroid Prime 3, the Space Pirates were turned into the Cult of Phazon.

Metroid Prime and Metriod Prime 2 basically had them as punch clock 9-5 workers who get pay and food for a day's work while trying their best to get by with the situation they're dealt with. And a thousand different ways to get their pay and food cut if you read the logs.
>>
File: Phazon hentai in progress.jpg (64KB, 575x646px) Image search: [Google]
Phazon hentai in progress.jpg
64KB, 575x646px
>>15633869
>Samus - My face is full of violent mutant blue crap, but at least I can still do my eye liner and mascara!
>>
>>15633869
That looks like it has to hurt. As in every waking moment would be spent in agony.
>>
>>15632964
I never got how SA-X could perfectly replicate the Power Suit, arm cannon and all. I know that parts of it are bio-organic in nature, but there was only pieces of the original suit and I assume you destroy the original chasing you when you blow up the Medroid Lab on the station.
>>
>>15634312
It's pretty bullshit period, so I never really found it worth thinking about.
>>
>>15634312
You repeatedly see the other X parasites perfectly replicate other organisms throughout the game, it isn't that much of a stretch. Especially when you consider that it is only replicating your suit in appearance. If it was actually using the same material, it would be just as vulnerable to your shots as you are to its shots.
>>
>>15634310

>went through rigorous mental and physical conditioning as well as experimental genetic tampering as she grew up
>was almost totally corrupted by a highly radioactive mutagen from a sentient planet
>was infected by a parasitic blob and had to go through invasive surgery and more genetic tampering to fix it

Samus has it rough.
>>
File: PhazonVomit.gif (3MB, 357x200px) Image search: [Google]
PhazonVomit.gif
3MB, 357x200px
>>15634310
It was unpleasant from the start.
>>
>>15634759
She has Chozo, X, and Metroid DNA now. She must look all kinds of fucked up under a microscope.
>>
>>15627684
Environmental Station Alpha is criminally underrated. It's a shame it was totally overshadowed by Axiom Verge when it's actually better.
>>
>>15626532
>the end of the 3DS' life
But that's wrong. Nintendo is still going to support the 3DS. I know they've said BS like that in the past and failed to deliver but let's be real here; The 3DS is way too popular. The Switch will never replace it no matter how hard they try, and they're not going to be able to top the 3DS with a successor anytime soon.
>>
>>15634954

The Metroid DNA purged all of the X from her system. Metroids eat X.
>>
>>15635311
He's probably referring to the end when she merges with the SA-X, but that technically 'repairs' her DNA and might cancel out the Metroid DNA because she can use the Ice Beam again.
>>
>>15634954
What the hell even is Samus? How does her body not reject DNA grafting from different species? Is this why she's the only remotely competent person in the galaxy?
>>
>>15634954
shes also probably super sterile
>>
>>15635518
Either she's super sterile or her fertility is in permanent Hypermode.
>>
>>15635331

The chozo tampered with her body to survive everything

>>15635518

So sterile that she and Doomguy fucked up in 95 and had Master cheif as their bastard son
>>
>>15635321
Not really, remember how natural metroids lose their weakness to cold as they evolve? I always saw that as her having reached her final evolution.
>>
>>15635539
Master cheif is shit
>>
File: 1300505269218.png (50KB, 500x1047px) Image search: [Google]
1300505269218.png
50KB, 500x1047px
>>15635547
Preaching to the choir, m80.
>>
>>15635546
With the weird exception of Metroid Prime being arbitrarily weak to cold if it decides it wants to be
>>
>>15635565
Yeah but the Prime was a literal abomination that wasn't supposed to exist
>>
>>15635547

still doesn't neglect that he is their bastard son
>>
>>15635629
Not really
>>
>>15629250
Also despite the shitposters, Sakamoto has done good shit. His only stain is MOM really and has produced good stuff after that (Rhythm Heaven series).
>>
>>15635546
Nope, they never lose their weakness. Notice how the ice beam rapes the Omega Metroid in Fusion.

The only way a Metroid loses its weakness to Ice is if they were genetically engineered, which a group in sector zero was in Other M, only to have Adam cockblock you from dealing with them.
>>
>>15635871
>was
Supposedly. There was never any confirmation of that, and the GF would need to be really retarded to do that anyway.
>>
>>15635886
The fact that Adam had full knowledge of everything on the Bottle Ship. (Including knowing who MB was when he saw her on camera.) He then goes to shoot Samus in the back to incapacitate her while he goes on a suicide mission to make sure the Modified metroid don't get out or come under the control of MB. And he had to kill himself in the process because of the risks involve all show your sketisim is crap.

Also the GF being retarded? Have you played the recent Japanese Metroid games? They wanted to capture the SA-X in Fusion.
>>
File: 1497715278829.png (79KB, 447x365px) Image search: [Google]
1497715278829.png
79KB, 447x365px
>Tamaki literally posted a damage control video about his bullshit rumors about MercuryStream doing some cheap FPS sequel to Metroid Prime Hunters and his Metroid Dread rumor
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/video_mercurysteam_metroid_samus_returns_and_the_prototypes_that_were_rejected

fucking kek, you can't make his shit up
>>
File: Liam asshurt.png (104KB, 609x490px) Image search: [Google]
Liam asshurt.png
104KB, 609x490px
>>15635914
wasn't this dude like fired from Unseen64 after fucking up on someone's else solid rumor by inserting his bullshit in?
>>
File: twit.png (2MB, 1728x1908px) Image search: [Google]
twit.png
2MB, 1728x1908px
>>15635914
>>
File: THEY KNOW.jpg (28KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
THEY KNOW.jpg
28KB, 400x240px
>Nintendo's not even hiding it
>>
>>15635922
>In-Between
I think you mean lying sacks of shit.

They all got blown the fuck out with the Switch launch and don't bother to ask how many times they lied about Mother 3.
>>
File: 1484492524606.jpg (492KB, 1024x2694px) Image search: [Google]
1484492524606.jpg
492KB, 1024x2694px
>>15635922
The 4chan poster was just some third party contractor who helped set up a Nintendo event somewhere in Europe. (Which is why he didn't say anything about Xenoblade 2)
>>
>>15635871
>Nope, they never lose their weakness
Did you not play Metroid 2?
>>
>>15635900
Fair enough. My apologies for being dumb.
>>
I never considered Metroid /m/. Then again, I'm not a big gamer. What's the best game to start with?
>>
>>15636601
To be fair they're giant hitboxes in 2, and Fusion doesn't let the boss fight end without the ice beam, though that latter point largely exists because the whole fight is a homage to the Mother Brain battle from Super so whether or not it constitutes full retcon on metroid weakness is not well understood.

You'd think though that the ice beam should retain effectiveness on what vestigial remnants of the larval form remain.
>>15637062
Of the 2D games, Zero Mission is the most accessible, and Super is considered a classic for a reason, but I'd go so far to say that there's no truly garbage strictly unplayable Metroid game.

I'd actually legit suggest production order so you can see how much quality of life improvement has gone into the series from NES Metroid up to the upcoming Samus Returns. Just keep in mind Metroid 1 is very rough around the edges and more akin to a vertical slice idea pitch relative to subsequent installments.
>>
>>15637062
Prime 1 is very nearly my favorite game of all time, up there with Okami, MGS3, W101 and stuff like that. It sounds beautiful, its graphics still hold up pretty well today, and I cannot think of a game that nails immersion and atmosphere harder, not even the later Prime games. And that's really what makes it both the best game in the series and the best entry point if you ask me. Metroid is a series very heavily focused on exploration, and the visuals, music and world design in Prime 1 along with the first person perspective are more conducive to that aspect than any other game I've ever played. You really do get the sense that you're a sci-fi space (wo)man discovering a new frontier.

Maybe I'm overhyping it a bit, but to me it seems almost artistic at points. The 2D games are definitely fun to play, but they're not the kind of games where I'll just stop and stare at the beautiful surroundings outside of maybe one or two areas. They do have a faster pace, but they don't have the unique kind of feeling that the 3D games have. They're also a bit more limited in the kinds of puzzles they have. Finding upgrades in the 2D games often boils down to just power bombing every room (shinespark BS notwithstanding), whereas with the 3D games, there's usually some clever trick or challenge that gives you a better sense that you've earned your powerup
>>
>>15637155
As a counterpoint, Prime 1 is so far the one game that has made the act of getting lost an exercise in frustration for me personally. While Metroid as a franchise is about getting lost and going caving for goodies, there's a noticeable change in how it works between the mainline games, the rest of the Primes, and P1, where rather than being able to parse the world through the lens of the game designer and their rules of game design you instead have to think like an environmental artist and remember a shit ton of environment objects to return to after you got a new item ON THE OTHER SIDE OF TALON IV.

Prime 1 thankfully was designed by devs who were forward thinking enough to have a hint system that you can toggle, but I'd rather want to set way points myself rather than
A) bring a notepad with me any time I want to give Prime 1 another go
Or
B) make myself feel stupid and play with training wheels enabled

It's not anywhere near as much an issue in the rest of the series, but that's because of subtly implemented guide railing that went on in the design of latter games. Echoes, which I personally think is the best, implements a lot of structure into the flow of the game by following a predictable formula: navigate hub world, go to specific zone, collect three keys and an upgrade or few, beat a boss, do it again, then at the endgame revisit all the dark world zones. Without needing an objectives list, you have a sort of metric with which to gauge progress and tell yourself "yes, I am advancing the game state and not just dry humping a wall going nowhere."

Admittedly, pulling the wool off your eyes like that might make Echoes look worse, but it plays better as a game for me at least, because I don't find myself fighting with the world as I do with Prime 1 where for some goddamn reason I'll forget what to do to between ice beam and plasma beam and never not fail at knowing which direction to go (protip: it's power bombs, among other shit).
>>
>>15637179
Cont.

That's just my opinion, mind you. I do respect Prime 1 a lot, but for me it just didn't click like Echoes did. Still would recommend playing P1 to anyone.

In fact I'd even suggest giving the GCN version a whirl before trying the Trilogy rerelease, there's something comfy about the first person tank handling that was used back then. Federation Forces echoes the same control scheme too, it works surprisingly well considering the pace of the Prime series is not as frantic as a fullblown FPS for the most part.
>>
File: 1460489604080.jpg (214KB, 1280x789px) Image search: [Google]
1460489604080.jpg
214KB, 1280x789px
>>15637062
Zero Mission is the absolute best place to start with the series. After that I would highly recommend Prime 1. Then Super.

After that, just play whichever one looks interesting to you. If you want more 3D, finish the Prime trilogy. If you want more 2D, play Fusion and Metroid II.
>>
>>15637179
>>15637185
Prime 2 has problems of its own beyond that, such as its gimmicky gameplay and boring, lifeless environments. Same problems I had with Prime 3, actually, if to a lesser extent

Not having too much direction in a Metroid game just isn't much of a problem to me, I guess. It's not like the game worlds are some stupidly big open world nonsense. And if I'm not sure of my next objective, there's usually a lot of things to keep me occupied while I search. Getting a new tool almost always opens up several new areas, and while only one of them leads to progression, the others are always worth poking about for more missiles/energy tanks and whatnot. These aren't the kind of games where you're meant to be going from A to B all the time.
>>
>>15637208
While I won't deny Echoes is gimmicky, it uses its quirks to emphasize how much of a hostile death world Aether is. In some respects Echoes dabbles in a bit of survival horror design, throwing you into the wolf den with limited resources and giving you little opportunity to just stop and take the scenery in like it'll wait until you're ready to devour you.

I wouldn't want another game to dabble with beam ammo like Echoes did, but that's mostly to do with the fact that it requires a certain style for it to work in Metroid, and between Echoes and Fusion (and you could possibly argue the claustrophobic trappings of Return of Samus to fit this thematic pattern) the survival horror variant of Metroid games are probably best left as once in a generation sort of experiences, that flipping the hunter-hunted dynamic only works when you have several games of being the hunter to best appreciate what it's like to be on the other end of the power beam.

Also, honestly, while finding new gear is fun and all, it's when you're stuck trying to remember the one remaining place where progression continues that peeved me off. It's kinda made awkward by the fact that backtracking often involves completing arena fights every other room which is not exactly Prime 1's most compelling gameplay feature, even though it does its best to mix it up what with color coordinated pirates and all that.
>>
>>15637286
I wholeheartedly disagree about Prime 2 having any sort of resource management aspect since getting ammo for one beam is as simple as blowing something up with the other beam. It was poorly handled in that regard; they should have made the ammo more scarce as well have given the Dark beam a serious buff against light world enemies instead of just making it a reskinned Ice beam. The Annihilator beam felt similarly underpowered with the only advantage being the homing aspect.

And I'm not sure what you mean about Prime 1. I can't recall you ever being forced to fight anything outside of special events and places with Security drones. Sure there are lots of open areas with enemies, and almost 100% of them can be ignored. I never fight the Chozo ghosts except for the two scripted instances where I have to. Same with most space pirate battles
>>
>>15637346
I recalled doors getting locked down every other room because you had to clear out freshly respawned pirates, ghosts, and/or anything with AI behaviors more complex than that of a Puffer's.
>>
>>15637384
Nope. Only time doors are locked outside of event battles are in areas with security drones, which usually are in areas with lots of pirates, to be fair, but I don't think they're ever actually in the same room as pirates
>>
>>15635924

The last entry in the PRIME series, dumbass. Corruption came out on 2007.
>>
File: FF Sucks.png (437KB, 690x425px) Image search: [Google]
FF Sucks.png
437KB, 690x425px
>>15637511
>The last entry in the PRIME series, dumbass.
yes and? or are YOU the dumbass thinking it was a jab to Other M, not Federation Force being some filler entry.
>>
>>15635998
>I think you mean lying sacks of shit.
did you even read the thing right? that was for only Zhuge and he was right in the past (leaking Xbox E3) unlike those cronies on twitter.
>>
File: twit.png (2MB, 1728x1908px) Image search: [Google]
twit.png
2MB, 1728x1908px
>>15635922
>>15635998
>>15636227
i posted the outdated one.
Daniel Ahmad/ZhugeEX is the only in-betweener, but he's fine everywhere else.
>>
https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/878933314970697728

what's up with cyclops eyes and mooks
>>
>>15627750
might also have something to do with the actual series creator dying and the guy who inherited it not understanding it at all.
>>
>>15634312
Well in the case of the SA-X it actually was wearing the real suit. It probably just filled the gaps in the places where it had to be cut apart.
>>
>>15639499
2 eyes = humanlike = more inherently relatable
1 eye = inhuman = go ahead and just kill it
>>
>>15634312
Weren't the X able to replicate lab coats on zombie scientists? I think they can just make whatever.
>>
>>15630263
Zero Mission was just a more polished original Metroid with a bonus mission at the end. I fail to see how that puts it above Super which is a much more involved game.

Prime is still amazing though, and I wonder how butthurt Sakamoto is that he wasn't involved in one of the better games in the series.
>>
>>15637511
That would have been Federation Forces actually... it has Prime in the title.
>>
>>15628574
>This game is being developed by MercurySteam, the team that worked on Lords of Shadow.
Oh wow, i hope they figures something out. I couldn't even get through that game I was so disappointed with it.
>>
>>15639499
Because mono-eyes are cool, and it's a well-known fact bad guys have the cooler shit.
>>
>>15639643
Zero Mission's better than Super simply because of better control. I never liked how floaty Samus was in Super.
>>
>>15628574
>>15639674
Before people run around with their hair on fire going 'we got monkey pawed!' Remember who's working on the project already and their ties to Metroid.

>Yoshio Sakamoto (producer)
>Takehiko Hosokawa (director/level designer)
>Kenji Yamamoto (composer)
>Minako Hamano (composer)

Hosokawa was previously the system director and game designer for Fusion and one of the level designers for Zero Mission. Outside of the melee counter mechanic, it seems like MercurySteam's just doing mostly the coding/programming while the actual direction and level design coming from Nintendo.

Also people seem to forget how Nintendo is a great at making the best out of normally mediocre studios. (Look at what happened to Silicon Knights and Factor 5 after they left the wings of Nintendo.) And you have to remember, MercurySteam's last big project was Lord of Shadow, but that was under Kojima's mismanagement, we'll see how they do under a tightly controlled environment.
>>
>>15640201
She never felt floaty to me. Still enjoy how she handles in that the most.
>>
>>15640257
>under Kojima's mismanagement,
Kojima was just used for his name, he didn't have anything to do with LoS.
>>
File: 2918700.jpg (141KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
2918700.jpg
141KB, 500x439px
>>15640257
Also people really unfairly shit on Sakamoto and incorrectly credit Gunpei Yokoi as being the creator of Metroid when it was Sakamoto who was in charge of the project. (Gunpei was in charge of R&D1, but he was just oversaw development to make sure it was on track.)

Sakamoto has a solid track record for game development. And I'd cynically use Other M as an example for why video games shouldn't be plot and character driven.

So if he wants to go crazy with his creations like George Lucas. I say let him, because the alternative would be the game equivalent of letting Disney take charge and giving the series to J.J. Abrams to completely ruin.
>>
>>15640304
He's the reason Lord of Shadows used the Castlevania IP. Normally that's a Nintendo thing to do where you apply an existing IP to an original idea if they mesh well. (Like how Kirby's Epic Yarn had Prince Fluff as the main character before they added Kirby and made it one of his IPs.) But in a lore heavy series like Castlevania and the fact Kojima didn't send anyone to guide Mercurysteam through the lore, it just ended up pissing off of the old fanbase, where Mercutysteam doubled down on by saying it wasn't meant for the old fanbase.

Seriously, if Kojima didn't look at the original trailer pitch and go 'why isn't this castlevania?' Mercruysteam's reputation wouldn't be as notorious. At least now they're under the tight leash of Nintendo.
>>
>>15640304
I think he had at least a little to do with it. I hear you can equip the Solid Eye in LoS

>>15640362
Kojima had no experience with the Castlevania brand though, so that doesn't make any sense
>>
>>15640362

also LoS ripped Legacy of Kain A LOT

i don't even know how didn't SE sued Konami yet or those games
>>
>>15640656
Because they don't use any actual LoK content, otherwise they'd be sniped like the fans doing anything with Chrono Trigger/Radical Dreamers.
>>
>>15640201
Agreed. Super introduced a lot of iconic ideas to the series, and is certainly an amazing game, but several elements of its design haven't withstood the test of time. The movement is excessively floaty, the control layout gets awkward at times, and then you have a few weird things like self-inflicted damage when shinesparking.

Still an excellent game, but I prefer the tighter movement patterns and simpler control scheme seen in Zero Mission, AM2R, and Fusion (though Fusion's movement has a few annoying quirks of its own - notably the wall jumps).
>>
>>15640305
>And I'd cynically use Other M as an example for why video games shouldn't be plot and character driven.
Except that the other plot-heavy Metroid games have been great.
>>
>>15641344
I disagree, but those are reasonable enough opinions.
>>
>>15641349
Great is a bit too strong a term for Fusion and P3
>>
>>15641357
Which Persona Samus had again?
>>
>>15641366
Joan d'Arc
>>
>>15640362
My problem with Lord of Shadows is they just felt like GoW games... and i find those games boring and a slog.
>>
>>15641357
That sounds about right for Fusion to me.
>>
>>15643514
I'd say more decent to good, but I can see why one would find it great.
>>
>>15640656
>also LoS ripped Legacy of Kain A LOT
Really? I'll have to play it then. I love LoK.
>>
>>15646290
you have a reason my bro?
cause i think we've all talked the hell out of being either cautiously optimistic or stubbornly pessimistic about the upcoming games
>>
>>15647299
/m/etroid threads are my fav, so i really want this to die at the bump limit

and besides there was something to new talk about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBpHhTa0ao
>>
>>15640305
>So if he wants to go crazy with his creations like George Lucas. I say let him, because the alternative would be the game equivalent of letting Disney take charge and giving the series to J.J. Abrams to completely ruin.

He already went batshit with creative control with other M. We all saw how that turned out. Sakamoto rightfully earned the hatred of Metroid fans with his meddling and self inserted fanfiction.
>>
>>15647806
>and self inserted fanfiction.
Yeah, it looks like he really did want to be Samus after all.
>>
>>15647771
Well if no one else wants to talk about it, I wanna say I do actually enjoy Fed Force's concept more than I thought, there's something endearing about it as a sort of slapstick filler arc to lighten the mood.

But the devs didn't execute the premise as well as they might have been able to, it feels like a demo concept tragically. Single player could've easily been the Samus side of the adventure and empower you as Samus rather than needing you to min max as a Fed.

It's a shame because the game really has me hyped at the idea of a Prime on a handheld, but with the Switch getting Prime4 well I'm both hyped and kinda frustrated that as a new3ds early adopter Nintendo didn't even throw a bone and try porting one of the Primes to that handheld.

Even with a graphical downgrade I can assure you it'd still look really cool, Xenoblade 3D was a gorgeous port of a gorgeous game and established that solid art direction can transcend graphical power (and that more importantly the idea of porting a Gamecube-Wii level game isn't without precedence for the new3ds.)
>>
>>15648024
I've always hated it, but you have a good point. If it's meant to be a light, comedic entry in an othewise serious franchise, its timing couldn't have been worse. If it came out after a good Metroid game, sure it could have worked as intended, but it followed M;OM after a long hiatus. For a game that doesn't even star Samus to follow a game that assassinated her character felt like a really cruel insult.
>>
>>15648072
Fair enough, the timing was ass, but I do feel like getting hung up on that is reading a bit too deep and looking for malice not intended. I think the bigger flaw in the plan was trying to add Metroid to Nintendo's loose "Year of Co-Op" campaign by skipping straight to the co-op game and not having the solo half that would precede it like what happened with Triforce Heroes to Link Between Worlds.

Which admittedly sorta funnels back to the "you released -this-, after the hiatus, after Other M!?" grievance, I guess.
>>
>>15640305
>equivalent of letting Disney take charge and giving the series to J.J. Abrams to completely ruin.
people like you still amuse the hell outta me
>>
>>15648681
People jumping off of a ship before it sinks can be quite amusing.
>>
>>15648688
especially when the ship keeps sailing fine
>>
the Gunpei got killed by the Yakuza joke is getting pretty old
they still follow his principles and philosophies up to this day while cleaning up the mess Iwata made during the Dolphin-era (GCN to WiiU) of Nintendo.
>>
>>15652578
Wish the gc didn't do so bad
Thread posts: 276
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.