[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>her original name was Kira, and this was made public for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: Rey_1.jpg (273KB, 1600x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Rey_1.jpg
273KB, 1600x1160px
>her original name was Kira, and this was made public for seemingly no reason
>her name was changed to Rey

Okay /m/ I am fucking calling it now. These names can't be a coincidence and are a deliberate reference to Gundam SEED/Destiny

>she is an in vitro female clone of either Anakin, Luke, Palpatine, or someone else designed to be the Ultimate Force User.
>the project was deemed a failure and she was to be terminated
>a sympathetic member of the project dumped her on Jakku instead of killing her

If anything this would at least explain her Sue-like grasp of the Force with zero experience.
>>
>>15619843
Reaching
>>
>>15619843
MUH ZERO EXPERIENCE MARY SUE HURRDURRR
>>
I like how this character is so inherently uninteresting that the only thing anyone cares about is who she's related to.
>>
>>15619846
Search your feelings, Anon. You know it to be true.
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 500x722px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 500x722px
>kira
>has to be a reference to gundam seed
...whaa
>>
>>15619843
I still think she's a vergence of the Force. Basically, the Force-reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker. It would also explain her being so attuned to Anakin's lightsaber.
>>
>>15619876

The reference become complete when you throw Rey in there too, She's the Ultimate Coordinator and a Clone, thus Kira and Rey.
>>
File: 1460912532838.jpg (431KB, 1000x1708px) Image search: [Google]
1460912532838.jpg
431KB, 1000x1708px
>>15619843
SEED is worthless dogshit. No one would bother referencing something so banal and trite as that.
>>
>>15619843
>OP thinks anyone making the decisions on the names of main Star Wars characters has watched SEED.
>>
>>15619913

Hey, they named Phasma after the balls in Phantasm. That's just as, if not more, obscure than SEED.
>>
>>15619916
That was JJ Abrams being a Hollywood hipster. I don't think he shares the same fascination with anime.
>>
>>15619904
OH FUCK.
>>
>>15619843

So let me guess... After Han Solo's incredibly obvious death he is going to come back brainwashed, wearing a mask, and piloting a purple Falcon?
>>
>>15619876
my immediate thought, they didn't want a star trek name in their star wars.
>>
>>15619885
Sorta this but I'd challenge the reincarnation bit. Anakin was the chosen one and a subject of prophecy, but Rey is more like an agent or avatar of the Force itself.
>>
>>15619885
I really hope Disney doesn't go this route. Why not your average force sensitive young woman who achieves success through hard work and the help of her friends?
>>
>>15619983

Probably because that doesn't describe any lead in previous Star Wars entries.
>>
>>15619966
They didn't want Rey associated with an actual strong female character that doesn't suck.
>>
>>15619998
>bajoran
>strong & doesn't suck
you may have one my friend, but you may not choose both.
>>
>Finn
>Shinn
Close enough
>>
>>15619983
If Rey was a sensitive young woman who achieves success with the help of her friends you'd be bitching how boring and cliche that is and why can't she be the reincarnation of Anakin or something. You are complaining for the sake of complaining and no matter what Disney does you'll say they should have done the opposite.
>>
>>15619983
>hard work
>help of friends

Don't you mean stumbling into things that she needs by coincidence and instinctively knowing them inside and out to the point she can, oh, I don't know, fix a spaceship she's been inside for minutes before someone who flew the thing for dozens of years can even figure out what's wrong with it?
>>
>>15619843
>gundam
>not Star Trek
>>
>>15620043
Do you actually know how to read or do you just feign literacy as a trick?
>>
>>15620051
Just a reminder it's kind of too late to make her an average person who needs to train, study, and work with a team, isn't it?
>>
>>15620060
Well, yes and no. There's still room to change the approach to her character and make her character progression more natural going forward.

But looking at your response to that anon, and your response to myself, I'm forced to pose my previous question again.
>>
Not Kira, it was Keira, as in Keira Knightly, her grandmother. Natalie Portman was busy making art films at times so she sent her body double to keep Anakin Skywalker busy. Turns out she got pregnant too with Anakin's kid and now Rey is Anakin's other grandkid.
>>
>>15619843
cyber new type jedi you say?
>>
>>15621400
I remember a couple of instances in the 'Legends' (unofficial expanded material) of attempts to artificially create Force-sensitives.
>>
kira

but isnt that a boys name?
>>
File: yougotserved.gif (865KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
yougotserved.gif
865KB, 400x300px
>>15621437
>>
>>15619843
>Sue-like grasp
>Using Mary Sue in any legitimate form
>>
>>15621471
The sad thing is that a mary sue is supposed to be "good at everything, liked by everyone", saying someone is a "mary sue" at one thing just seems like saying "adept" but in a bitching way.
>>
>>15619843
No, you homo. The girls name 'Kira' isn't even pronounced the same.
>>
>>15621510

She pulls a mind trick on James Bond without any ever being shown such a trick or even knowing that is something the Force is capable of. To say she is a Sue is a grave understatement unless they show a reason why she is some kind of Force Goddess.
>>
File: thenausiccaawakens.gif (4MB, 274x264px) Image search: [Google]
thenausiccaawakens.gif
4MB, 274x264px
>>
>>15622033
the force was asleep when luke started so he had to do it hard to make it work
the force awakened for this one so its easy
>>
>>15619913
>>15619916
SEED isn't obscure at all. It aired on Toonami.
>>
>>15622033
The whole point of her powers are allowing herself to be a conduit, and the whole:
>without any ever being shown such a trick
is false because Maz taught her how to be a conduit immediately after witnessing Rey being used as a conduit by the force residue in Luke/Anakin's saber, in turn it is double amplifed by the fact they played that audio of Maz again right before Rey allowed herself to be a conduit during the end fight against Ren.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1488050361507.jpg (6KB, 344x259px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1488050361507.jpg
6KB, 344x259px
>>15622226
>this also grants her swordsmanship talent
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 450x292px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 450x292px
>>15622585
It's like you've literally never seen any of the movies. Also, she brute forced her non-win in that fight.
>>
>>15622226
Nice headcannon
I bet you genuinely believe the darth jar jar theory
>>
>>15622716
>headcanon
It's literally in the movie, anon. Watch the scene where she has the force vision and then watch the last fight where they replay the audio of that small not-yoda chick. They beat you over the head with it, it's not subtle at all.
>>
>>15622033
She knows the Force can be used to control minds because Kylo tries to use the Force to control her mind in the previous scene.

Now mind you, I think Rey is definitely, if not a Mary Sue, dangerously close to one. But that particular moment at least is justified. The problem with Rey is not that she is unnaturally talented with the Force, the problem with Rey is that she's unnaturally talented at everything we see her do, and that this comes at the expense of making Finn look like a useless buffoon. By the end of TFA Rey is Han and Luke combined, which is a problem. If she were just naturally super good with the Force it wouldn't be a problem, because we have a pretty long history of people who are naturally super good with the Force going fucking crazy, and this creates tension.
>>
>>15622731
>They beat you over the head with it, it's not subtle at all.
So why does the question exist in the first place and why does it concern so many people?
Also the actual given explanation so far is that when Ren tried to peak into reys minds, she does the same and that's how discovers how to use the force
>>
>>15622770
>So why does the question exist in the first place and why does it concern so many people?
First off, allow me to address:
>so many people
Bwahahahaha.
Ok. Continuing. It doesn't really exist. I've never heard of it outside of this thread and it's definitely not "so many people" and they are definitely not "concerned", and I've seen quite a few negative youtube reviews.
What exists are hipsters so desperate to hate on the mainstream and the popular that they can't even use the correct terminology. The most popular is the ever present "I don't know the difference between ripoffs and homages" and now I see "I don't know what a mary sue is".
>>
>>15623050
>I've never heard of it outside of this thread
>and I've seen quite a few negative youtube reviews.
Bwahahahaha

Also
>The most popular is the ever present "I don't know the difference between ripoffs and homages"
Even the head of the Lucas film story group has said that he disliked how much tfa had reused story beats from a new hope.
>>
>>15623099
>Even the head of the Lucas film story group has said that he disliked
Who are you talking about? Last I checked, the head and the person otherwise in charge are both women, and Disney era replacements of Lucas era personnel.
>>
>>15623099
>Even the head of the Lucas film story group

You do know that the "story group" was formed by SJW gurls in 2014 that apparently wanted to combat "man-splaining" in the fandom by waving away almost all of the canon and replacing it with their own, right? Plus, they're directly involved in Rebels, Rogue One, and Han Solo (guess which movie is outside of their cone of protection?).
TFA was written by men, one of which was a major writer of the original trilogy, I'm not surprised that there might be dislike among them.
>>
>>15623245
I don't care who writes what but I found Rogue One a whole lot more enjoyable than TFA.
I don't know about what kind of policing the writers of the former were trying to do (source?) but, like, it's possible that maybe they just disliked the latter for reasons outside of this agenda they're supposedly trying to push.
>>
>>15623424

It's not really about who writes, but who writes under the "Story Group's" sanctions and direction.
>>
>>15623245
So you're arguing that TFA, the film with the most ridiculously hypercompetent female lead, is the one that *isn't* the product of your SJW boogeymen? Do you even think about what you write, or is SJW just shorthand for all the people you don't like?
>>
>>15623452
Not him, but: Nope. That's just what you're implying.
>the most ridiculously hypercompetent female lead
Yeah, the most "ridiculously hypercompetent female" to spend 99% of the movie running away. It's like you've fabricated a completely different of the movie in your mind, anon. I think you'll be surprised if you ever saw the movie again.
>>
>>15623452

>waving away almost all of the canon and replacing it with their own
>they're directly involved in Rebels, Rogue One, and Han Solo
>(guess which movie is outside of their cone of protection?)
>written by men, one of which was a major writer of the original trilogy
=
>not SJW enough
whaaaa?
>>
>>15623492
I've never heard anyone complain that Rey didn't act as OP as she could be...
>>
Why is it so hard to believe that Rey can fight with lightsaber decently for the first time?
Remember that she used to carry around a staff as her weapon. While the technique between one-handed saber with two-handed staff is different, at least Rey already know basic combat stuff like parrying or proper timing to strike.
>>
>>15623874
Because light sabers are either a compatible and practical weapon you can figure out how to use or you train little children from age 6. Either she's OP or the Jedis were kidnapping little kids and training them wrong on purpose.
>>
>>15619843
maREY sue?
>>
>>15623887
Light sabers are just really dangerous energy swords. The whole "only a proper Jedi can use light sabers!" thing was always a load of bullshit. Somebody should be able to pick one up and use it with basic competency, especially if they've had previous experience or training with melee weapons.
>>
>>15623963
Even in the final battle in TFA while she was being told where to stike and where to block by the force, she was wielding the thing like a baseball player. It was basically like someone using a scalpel like a hammer.
>>
>>15623492
You are literally the first person I've ever seen complain that the problem with Rey was that she just wasn't enough of a badass.
>>
Rey is just Yossha Lucky.
>>
>>15623492
>I've never heard anyone complain that Rey didn't act as OP as she could be...
>You are literally the first person I've ever seen complain that the problem with Rey was that she just wasn't enough of a badass.
Hey anon, this samefag seems real deperate for a response from you. Kindly reply before he floods the thread with more of the exact same post pleez.
>>
>>15624167
>everyone who disagrees with me is a samefag
>>
>>15624170
>(never heard anyone) complain (Rey didn't act OP)
>(first person I've ever seen) complain (Rey wasn't badass)

>>disagree
who was disagreeing? oh that's just a stock quote that didn't fit the situation. that's the problem with posting via cookie-cutter, it's obvious as fuck.
>>
>>15624179
I'm sorry that you made such a dumb comment that it triggers the same answer. From different people. Do you want me to post my (You) or you're gonna say I edited it?
>>
>>15624194
Sorry you're too dumb to realize those weren't replies to me. Oh wait, you believe everyone who's "mean" to you and don't coddle your balls are the same people. I replied to you cuz I read your same shit post twice, everyone could tell it was the same shit except you changed hear to see and OP to badass. Get some fucking patience, kid, and just wait for him to see your post, king autismo.
>>
>>15619989
That describes Luke through empire strikes back and return of the jedi.

Take out Average and it describes Luke and Anakin.
>>
>>15623245
Didn't several women also have a hand in the writing process? I'm convinced JJ and Kasdan were just the face. There to put into the words the ideas of the women in charge.
>>
>>15623492
She was just introduced and she reverse mindraped the sith.
>>
>>15623951
Yes
>>
>>15625551
>the sith.
>Lord BabyRage
>Sith
Please. She mindfucked a rotting banana with the mental capacity of a fetus. Any other main character could've done what she did to that shitbag.
>>
>>15626114
This.

Kylo is not a sith.
>>
>>15626463
Why was he so sucky?
>>
>>15620005
Dukat pls.
>>
>>15628086
>Why was he so sucky?
I'm gonna go with my theory that odd-numbered Skywalkers are trash edgelords. Anakin was the first male Skywalker (apparently his mother was the virgin Mary or some shit?) and he was trash. Luke was a hero. Kylo Ren was the next male Skywalker, and he's a shit also.

So if Kylo Ren by some miracle creates the fourth male Skywalker child, they'll probably be Luke 2.0.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.