[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there been any attempt to explain Harlock continuity (among

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Has there been any attempt to explain Harlock continuity (among characters with the same name, ship, crew and role) or are we supposed to see it as different characters that happen to be identical but only one gas an origin?
>>
>>15612050
There was that one .pdf file that had the entire series spread over a sort-of consistent timeline, but even that had a bunch of different Harlocks running around at different times.
>>
>>15612050
Easier to just think of them in the periods they are released. Or different incarnations used to tell a different story.
>>
I like to think that Harlock is a very popular name in space and we just notice the 1% who happen to become pirates.
Same for the ship's name. There are hundreds of other pirates who though that name was cool, we just don't see them.
>>
>>15612125
Calling a pirate Harlock is like calling a soldier Joe.
>>
>>15612111
this
it's like how there's no reason to try to reconcile Batman Beyond and Adam West Batman
they're just different works of fiction based on the same concept

There's a few vague links, like SSX is specifically intended as a follow-up to My Youth In Arcadia.
MYiA is meant as a Harlock Begins when you already know "there's a dude named Harlock with a patch and a scar" and then you find out a story of how he got all his cool shit, even if it doesn't really align with the previous Harlock works' settings.

iirc Leiji was toying with uniting all his works in the 90s with the Yamato and the Maharoba popping up in stuff like 999 Eternal Fantasy, but that fizzled out.
>>
>>15612150
But Batman Beyond is a cartoon while '66 is live action. All Batmans have the same origin, and if they meet Superman they don't make him actually Flash's son.
There's continuity and then there's not changing stuff that was basic to the character. I get that people like cameos even when all your stories start in postapocaliptic earth in different years, but there had to be a better way to do it.

How does the Yamato appear in the 999 spin off? They both really requiere Earth to be in a very different state...
>>
>>15612197
it's not the same Yamato. It's the Great Yamato and is piloted by the ancestors of the original Yamato.
>>
>>15612050
Lazy Matsumoto doesn't care. Why should you?
>>
>>15612445
You forgot to mention it's a huge pile of shit. But no problem, I got you covered.
>>
>>15612197
>There's continuity and then there's not changing stuff that was basic to the character.
Well, maybe you've got a different idea of what's "basic to the character" than the people who wrote the stuff. It looks like you're saying that Harlock's origin is fundamental to his character, but I'd disagree - heck, I hear there's an adaptation of Batman where his parents were running an organized crime ring with Alfred and they got killed in a turf war, or something like that.
>>
>>15612478
>>15612469
are you the most autistic poster on /m/?
yes
>>
>>15612665
No. That would be Fujifruit
>>
>>15612445
Thanks, I've only seen the original show and wanted to finish original 999 before moving to that stuff.
>>
>>15612517
That's a taletell game, their gimmick is diverging from the source material. You don't open a Batman comic and have to assume the supes cameo might mention he met his parents.
>>
>>15612469
I know you hate matsumoto, this thread is about the material dozens of other creators did vaguely around his ideas with very little imput from him. Please don't be such a retard.
>>
>>15612734
Then I dunno, think about the other Harlocks as gimmicks as well. The fact that two things are both videos done with similar animation techniques doesn't really imply that they're supposed to be in the same continuity.
>>
>>15612752
He literally can't control himself due to hyper autism.
>>15612725
Another good idea to to separate anime adaptions from their manga counterparts to avoid large contradictions.

The Great Yamato makes a few cameos in the second Galaxy Express manga but you never actually see the cast. There's a Great Yamato manga but it got axed 2 volumes in due to copyright reasons.

It also shows up in the new Harlock manga not illustrated by Leiji.
>>
>>15612197
>...
Kill yourself. Nice English, by the way.

>>15612734
>doesn't count because I say so
Kill yourself.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.