/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain ment/star-wars-vs-star-t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 18

File: tdqjji84cghogn0x2svb.jpg (35KB, 540x386px) Image search: [Google]
tdqjji84cghogn0x2svb.jpg
35KB, 540x386px
http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/star-wars-vs-star-trek-why-star-trek-is-losing.html

> 1. Lightsabers are cool and iconic
> 2. Force magic powers are cool and spiritual
> 3. The Lore is deep and huge
> 4. Action-dominated sci-fantasy genre is more popular
> 5. John Williams music is the best
> 6. DISNEY MONEY
>>
>>15609129
Also

Star Trek was never actually "good".
It's the moeshit CGDCT of sci-fi -- only accessible to the most extreme nerds/otaku
>>
>>15609129
Star Trek is shit. Almost as shit as Firefly.
>>
File: the_orville.jpg (84KB, 960x480px) Image search: [Google]
the_orville.jpg
84KB, 960x480px
>>15609135
>tfw i like the parodies more than the real thing
>>
>>15609129
Fuck Disney. SW is dead to me.
>>
>>15609129
Unless it is the Most Interesting Redshirt in the World.
>>
Quick background on me, im a Star Wars fan through and through, having consumed like 80% of all available media, including 100% of all canon media.

I have only recently gotten into star trek, having watched the original series and the animated series over the past year, and am currently slogging through the next generation's first season.

The problem I find with Trek is how it pretends to be based in science, but every other episode they meet a magic space god. It is no less fantasy than star wars, it just pretends to be better. perhaps my vision has been warped by all the asshole trekkies ive endured growing up, but man, there are space orcs, space elves, dark space elves, lots of punching, and literal magic.

Can a trekkie explain this shit to me?
>>
>>15609129
buy a banner
>>
>>15609461
>Can a trekkie explain this shit to me?
Sufficiently advanced tech is the same as magic

At least that's the bullshit you'll get
>>
>>15609469
What about the natural abilities of the Vulcans to mindmeld, or betazoids to read feelings?
>>
>>15609461
They're not 'magic space gods,' the ones like Q are really just higher-dimensional beings that have a huge threshold of what they're able to control. It's like saying humans are gods compared to ants because we can build a remote control car, it's all a matter of perspective.
>>15609472
They're both kinds of telepathy, which seems more like pseudoscience, but if it is real then it's rare as fuck for humans.
>>
>>15609461
>Can a trekkie explain this shit to me?
Because it tried to give a reason for the magic instead of "a Jedi did it". And there's also a lot of SW assholes; just visit stardestroyer.net.
>>
>>15609476
>They're not 'magic space gods,' the ones like Q are really just higher-dimensional beings that have a huge threshold of what they're able to control.

But its more than Just the Q, it feels like all the time we are meeting weird stuff. In TNG, there is literally an alien nomad who turns thoughts into reality and makes the ship go so fast its in unexplored space at the drop of a hat. in TOS, i can off the top of my head remember "Arena" where some other random aliens teleport kirk and a gorn off their ships after stopping them dead in space. And in TAS we meet Lucifer and some Magi, and spock learns ACTUAL magic.

>They're both kinds of telepathy, which seems more like pseudoscience, but if it is real then it's rare as fuck for humans.
You literally believe telepathy could be real? Damn, opinion disregarded.

>>15609477
>Because it tried to give a reason for the magic instead of "a Jedi did it".
Nice Simpsons reference aside, Its typically a pretty poor explanation. Besides the Q, how does any of the space magic work? Im not saying it doesnt still make for compelling stories, and I can say im getting invested in each command crew, but i cant stand people pretending it makes sense.

>And there's also a lot of SW assholes; just visit stardestroyer.net.

Oh thats the truth. I am one. But see, I SW fans didnt bully me growing up in smalltown USA, it was, in my own experience, startrek fans putting me down. I think both are great, and both owe their continued existence to the other.
>>
File: 1489988429548.jpg (32KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
1489988429548.jpg
32KB, 670x503px
>>15609477
>And there's also a lot of SW assholes; just visit stardestroyer.net.

Better yet, don't do that thing.
>>
>>15609495
I just put the Q in as an example. Anyway, Trek is an atheist setting so the only way to interpret it is that the 'space gods' are indeed beings who have advanced to such a degree that what they can do isn't able to be understood as anything but magic by lower beings such as humans.
As for the telepathy I don't believe it's real, I was speaking in the context of Star Trek, and the aliens who have telepathy got it either by evolution or genetic tampering. Don't have any examples of the latter, just putting it out as an example.
>>
>>15609129
Ebin shilling
>>
>>15609461
>magic space god
>literal magic
Give an example. There's extra-dimensional beings, ESP beings, etc. But every situation is different, so you've gotta be specific instead bundling them all as one thing.
>space elves
I know all the other "fantasy equivalents" are based on vulcans being "elves", but the ears thing was supposed to be demonic, and elvish.
>>
>>15609129
Reminder Hamill hates Disney Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw0IR6fJlV0
>>
>>15609495
Implying Trek is more "fantastical" than Wars is ridiculous. Trek gave scientific explainations within the episodes they appeared in, Wars waited like 40 years before giving a non-"it's magic, we're space magicians" explaination (which still doesn't explain why ghosts are a real thing).
>>
>>15609746
The only thing really fantastical about Trek is that most of its science is based on the time any particular entry was developed, which is more dated than fantastical even if people want to call it zany science.

Wars was always a pulp fiction adventure that started its life as Flash Gordon fanfiction that changed after Lucas decided to make it into Kurosawa fanfiction but in SPAAAACE.

A real shame we never got Mifune as Kenobi though. Also a real shame that we've never gotten an iai style draw on a lightsaber. Missed opportunities everywhere in Star Wars.
>>
>>15609788
As someone whos read the sci-fi pulp of the 30s-40s I can tell you: the science of the late 60s isn't remotely as dated as you're implying. If you mean that computers are HUGE and screens are TINY, then sure, it's dated.
>>
I'm watching the first star trek series and I'm enjoying it decently, though it's very episodic. Do we get overarching plotlines later on? Or does it stay like this.
>>
>>15609822
Yeah. Most of the first season episodes were adapted from commissioned/selected works by established and semi-established authors.
As they phase into a 'more stable' stable of house writers, they'll start building more on older episodes, but not to degree of later iterations.
>>
>>15609847

So the later series are different in that regard? I see. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to cast changes or not, but knowing that it won't always be completely episodic is a good thing. I feel like the episodes can be very hit or miss for me.
>>
>>15609855
Yeah, all the series after TOS do arcs and stuff. It's just a difference in having commissioned and then adapted scripts and having house writers to plan out a basic skeleton to a season.
Some people prefer the Twilight Zone feel of the first season of TOS and dislike the second and third seasons, and some people like the more cohesive feel of something like DS9 or TNG and hate the early TOS era.
>>
People are primarily Star Wars fans are not into sci-fi. This is a real fact.

>it's BORING
>it's all sciency and stuff
>the technobabble makes me sleep
>why don't the ships do crazy maneuvers
>it doesn't make any sense
>why don't they use light sabers
>>
>>15609934
It's like a galaxy far far away, man. Has nothing to like do with humans or like earth, man. I think that's your trip, man. Gotta like think outside that box, man.
>>
File: 1474927309405.jpg (9KB, 337x337px) Image search: [Google]
1474927309405.jpg
9KB, 337x337px
>>15609940
>not getting blazed and watching Star Trek
What the fuck are you doing with your life
>>
People who care about comparing Star Wars and Star Trek are the worst elements of both fandoms. Besides, both franchises are empty husks of their former selves, driven to unholy life by assholes trying to recapture lightning in a bottle.
>>
>>15609963
It's also partially fictional. Most people who are fans of one are also fans of the other.
>>
>>15609461
I don't think there is much to explain. You seem to have it down. There's wacko space magic. Sure they try to explain it with technobabble nonscience at every chance but there's plenty of stuff behind it.

It's not like Star Wars is exempt from the same thing, The Phantom Menace turned space magic into midichlorine in the gene pool, after all.

> the original series and the animated series over the past year, and am currently slogging through the next generation's first season.
Cool. Hope you've watched the movies featuring the original cast too. If not, now is the time.
>>
>>15610264
>plenty of stuff behind it.
This is what happens when you post before your morning cuppa. 'Plenty of stuff beyond them' is what I was going for.
>>
>>15609495
>in TOS, i can off the top of my head remember "Arena" where some other random aliens teleport kirk and a gorn off their ships after stopping them dead in space.
This is the most retarded statement. Their ship has a teleporter and tractor beam of their own, other species are clearly shown to have their own, but then yet another group are shown to have an even more sophisticated tractor beam and teleporter and it's "what!!! what space magic be this!!!"?
>>
>>15610264
>technobabble

You're not using that term right. Technobabble is like how they explain how their engine works or what dilithium crystals are. On the other hand, this is not technobabble:
>SPOCK: For the record, how do we describe him? Pure mentality? Force of intellect? Embodied energy? Superbeing? He must be classified, sir.
>>
What is the Deep Space Nine of Star Wars? Is it pic related? Is it still canon tho
>>
>>15610324
Exactly. Techobabble is like Voyager where Kim is constantly spouting how the tertiary processing matrix just took a hit and he's rerouting systems through the auxiliary neuro-gel packs. It's a bunch of sciencey jargon that may or may not be based around actual scientific concepts, but it's largely there to SOUND futuristic and complicated.

Han actually does something similar when they're trying to get the Falcon's hyperdrive working, talking about horizontal boosters, alluvial dampers, and finally asking for something called a hydrospanner.

The problem is, a mainstream audience doesn't really want to see a bunch of mechanics chattering at each other about fictitious machinery, they want to see a space chase. They want to see lasers and explosions and crazy flying stunts. It's the same reason shit like Jojo is crazy popular but air Gundam Unicorn and people fall asleep.
>>
>>15610264
Midicholorians aren't technobabble you mongoloid.
>>
>>15610436
Of course they aren't. They're just an asinine plot device for why this kid is innately more special than any other would-be jedi. It reminds me of Scion trying to explain children of gods still being mostly human as "oh, the godly ichor in your blood just isn't active yet, as you do cool shit it'll wake up and you'll become deities."
>>
>>15609129
Star Wars is for nostalgiafags and casuals with low standards.
The original films were great when they came out, but I personally don't think they hold up aside from the fantastic set work.
>>
>>15609129
Star Trek is for nostalgiafags and nerds with low standards.
The original shows were great when they came out, but I personally don't think they hold up aside from the fantastic script work.
>>
>>15609461
>The problem I find with Trek is how it pretends to be based in science

Star Trek has always been about being a platform for showcasing progressive social philosophies. The sci-fi aspect of it was1. to make it exciting for Joe Public to watch, so that 2.Joe Public would be exposed to progressive ideas mostly divorced from contemporary context in order to 3. get Joe Public to sympathise with progressive ideas without know that's what was happening, or at least 4. Joe Public letting his kids watch it because "it's just some dumb make believe show" without worrying about the message.

There is little to no real sci-fi about it, except for maybe Bones' existential fear of the transporter.
>>
>>15609720
>cheatsheet
ESP is a kind of magic. its a traditional belief not backed up by any actual science, therefor it fits into the category of "magic"
>>
>>15610653
Star Trek is pretty hard sci-fi for how far into the future it is. Most concepts are plausible, at a surface level and there is a surprising amount of detail given to the setting.
>>
>>15610667
Psuedoscience, actually. It's like you don't even have base level science knowledge. Here's a test: astronomy and astrology, one's classified as a psuedoscience and the other is not. Which is which?
>>
>>15610698
>Psuedoscience, actually
AKA magic
there is literally no difference
and astrology is the pseudoscience, what the fuck does that have to do with anything?
>>
Star War is science-fantasy aka knights and damsels in spess

Star Trek is science-fiction aka humanity in a possible future
>>
>>15610700
>there's literally no difference between theories and magic
Oh brother, how are you posting from the 1800s anyway...
>>
>>15610721
>theories
ESP is not a theory. psuedoscience, by its very nature, is not a theory. a theory must be falsifiable and stand up to all existing attempts to prove it incorrect. Evolution is a theory. gravity is a theory
ESP is magic
>>
>>15610689
>Star Trek is pretty hard sci-fi for how far into the future it is.

What do you mean "for how far into the future it is"? It's either hard sci-fi or it's not. And if there's any hard sci-fi in there, it's completely incidental to the moralizing soap opera that is the show's central focus.
>>
>>15610756
The nature of being unable to prove or disprove it is the crux of what makes it a psuedoscience. It's also EXACTLY what makes a theory a theory.
>>
>>15610784
>It's also EXACTLY what makes a theory a theory.
no, a theory must be disprovable. By definition. if there is no conceivable experiment that would lead to it being positively disproved, if false, then it is not a theory
>>
>>15610786
>no, a theory must be disprovable. By definition.
Provable and disprovable are two sides of the same coin, so your word choice has almost no meaning. If something is disprovable then it's inherently provable.
But the part you left out like some sort of mental patient is once it's proven or disproven it no longer belongs in the theory classification.
>>
File: Learn the Difference.jpg (83KB, 704x540px) Image search: [Google]
Learn the Difference.jpg
83KB, 704x540px
>>15610756
>Evolution is a theory. gravity is a theory
Not getting into the ESP shitshow, but you're a fucking retard for saying this. It's the theory of evolution and theory of gravity i.e. how we think it works. The phenomenon of evolution and gravity are facts. But how they work is theory.
>>
File: 1497250128869.jpg (73KB, 281x246px) Image search: [Google]
1497250128869.jpg
73KB, 281x246px
>>15609129
>comparing political sci-fi to sci-fantasy
>not even comparing them, just listing a bunch of wishy-washy bullet points about mass appeal

This kind of shit is literal cancer to intelligent discussion.
>>
>>15610802
>Provable and disprovable are two sides of the same coin
no, something can be provable but not disprovable
Unicorns could be proven if you, say, caught one and showed it off
it would be impossible, however, to prove that no Unicorns exists anywhere on Earth.
So no, you are a fucking moron.
>>15610806
scientists say so colloquially. but not by proper definitions
http://www.nas.edu/evolution/TheoryOrFact.html
>>
>>15610821
>In science, a "fact" typically refers to an observation, measurement, or other form of evidence
>In that respect, the past and continuing occurrence of evolution is a scientific fact.
>>
>>15610821
>strawmans to mythological creatures
>resorts to insults
Our ability to scan and measure the human brain is making massive breakthroughs currently. It's more and more provable and disprovable everyday. But you keep doing you and keep bringing up magic and unicorns while pretending to understand science.
>>
>>15610826
>strawmans to mythological creatures
thats not a strawman, thats an example.
It would be a strawman if I said you thought unicorns were real.
I, however, did not say that, I was just demonstrating how you were wrong in your assertion that provable and disprovable were the same thing.
>But you keep doing you and keep bringing up magic and unicorns
because ESP is as scientific as either of those. it is literally a subset of magic. there is no scientific data that suggests it exists.
And don't give me that "you don't understand science" Bullshit when you literally cannot grasp the difference between provable and disprovable
>>15610825
Yeah, so the overall phenomenon of evolution is firmly a theory, sorry if you somehow missed that based off of what I said
>>
>>15610837
Are you unaware of current breakthroughs in our understanding of the human brain, or do you actually think the 'search for unicorns' is advancing?
>>
>>15609148
And why wouldn't you?
What made trek shit was Gene's idea of a "evolved humanity that lives in a pseudo-communism in the future, where everyone joins a job because they want to work instead of any actual real reasons like making money/survival and where everyone in the not-military yet heavily armed starfleet is an officer, even the enlisted men.

TNG was simultaneously the best and the worst thing that could happen to star trek.
>>
>>15610864
Your not saying anything. your just asking a bunch of rhetorical questions phrased so vaguely that you could meet any conceivable answer with "that's not what I was talking about"
>>
>>15610867
Is was also my first post to you, I can verify that anon's claims about brain mapping and scanning, it's widely public knowledge. Thus making extra-sensory perception vastly more "disprovable". You've said it's comparable to the 'search of unicorns', what's giving you such confidence in that?
>>
>>15610869
ESP has been disproven in every way it could be disproven.
also, new breakthroughs in RADAR have happened lately, which would make a search for Unicorns easier, so its still perfectly comparable.
>>
File: 1469878504152.png (338KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
1469878504152.png
338KB, 500x521px
>>15610866
>pseudo-communism
It's not.
>where everyone joins a job because they want to work instead of any actual real reasons
People pursue their hobbies or goals. This might blow your mind but not everyone's hobby is "play vidya and fap"
>where everyone in the not-military yet heavily armed starfleet
Unlike you, Gene wasn't retarded so he knew that even on a mission of peace and exploration you still have to protect yourself.
>[everyone] is an officer, even the enlisted men.
O'Brien wasn't an officer, among others.
>>
>>15610872
Unlikely. We've never had, and are still not quite at the technology needed to disprove extra-sensory perception. It would be interesting to see, in the future, the results of a hundred or so people who claim to have esp getting brain mapped.
>>
>>15610892
>We've never had, and are still not quite at the technology needed to disprove extra-sensory perception
Not those guys, but what situations have even remotely suggested ESP? You cannot defend yourself with the fallacy of
>prove it doesn't exist
You need cases where ESP is a realistic avenue of explanation for an event. Otherwise, it's literally just something made up by some humans.
>>
>>15610893
Not really sure what you're trying to say. Literally every fact that exists in the body of human knowledge was "made-up by a human" before being put through the scientific process and established as fact.
If the theory is truly that some people are able to access areas in the brain that aren't normally accessed then we'll find out sooner than later.
>>
>>15610866
>{Everyone} is an officer, even the enlisted men.
Roddenberry was in the USAF, which has a notoriously high officer to enlisted ratio.
>>
>>15610869
It's comparable in that neither have any evidence for their existence, despite people looking.
>>
>>15610902
What the actual fuck? Let's put it this way. Until Orcs are discovered, they are literal fantasy. The same goes with ESP. There has never been an exhibit of anything even remotely resembling ESP. It's pure fantasy.
>>
>>15610892
So great, not a theory, just so much magical thinking
>>
>>15610910
Never said it was real, that was another anon. Actually, I don't think he even said it was real, just that nobody knows.

>>15610914
It's not really a theory, but a field of study that has a bunch of theories attacthed to it. The only one that even remotely seems testable is the whole accessing unknown parts of the brain theory.
>>
>>15610925
>just that nobody knows.
That's not how it works. That's like saying
>Oh, Elves? Just nobody knows
If there isn't a precedent for something, then it's just a fabrication.
>>
>>15609461
Step 1
Forget about all the Trekkies you ever met
Step 2
It is not trying to be hard sci Fi where the fuck did you get that impression
Step 3
Enjoy it

But anyway if you didn't enjoy the interaction of Spock McCoy & Kirk I don't know what to tell you
>>
>>15610426
Jojo is the worst example because Araki will randomly stop his manga to explain some factoid type stuff to you.
You are thinking of My Hero Academia or whatever
>>
>>15610426
Jojo is popular solely because of memes. Every other reason people give is to justify this.
>>
>>15610343
>Is it pic related?
Nah.
>still canon
Also nah.
>still
You're making a bit of a mistake thinking it ever was canon, though. Movies were canon, EU was EU. No spinoff material was ever canon before Disney.
>>
File: technobabble.jpg (28KB, 482x358px) Image search: [Google]
technobabble.jpg
28KB, 482x358px
>>15609129
Star Trek once mentioned something called 'interferometric' particles

And they once got away from a black hole by shooting a hole in the event horizon

Also two crewmembers once went so fast that they 'evolved' into salamanders, fucked, had babies, and were turned back to normal by the end of the episode

All that retardation and more happened in the same series!
>>
>>15609129
Star Trek IV is a great movie anyone can enjoy
>>
>>15613214
It was too good for a dumpster fire pleb fliter franchise like Shit Wars, anyway.
>>
>>15610811
>using the bullshit typeface from the special editions
>not the plain english from OT
Now that IS disgusting
>>
>>15617450
>Voyager
Don't forget the time Seven said the Borg's most powerful bomb had a yield of 10 isotons.

I.e. 10 tons.
>>
>>15617450
Why anyone pays for an autograph from VOY cast is beyond me.
>>
>>15609731

That hardly qualifies as hate. He starts out saying it's just a movie so people shouldn't bank their lives and happiness on it, and that he wasn't sure about making it because he didn't feel it could recapture it before moving on to say that the movie(s) wasn't what he wanted and that he thought some of it would go a different way and finishes saying that a high box office doesn't equate to quality without saying or even implying that the films are bad, only that it shouldn't be taken as definitive proof of it on it's own. That's it. Besides, if he hated it then he wouldn't be in it and if he did hate it despite being in it then his opinion is undercut by how hypocritical he is. Same as Harrison Ford.
>>
if he really hated it he probably wouldn't have done the extended star wars gag in jay and silent bob strike back
disney can throw enough cash to overcome pride
kevin smith cant
>>
I never got the appeal of Star Wars.

The plot sucks
The characters suck
The battles suck

It's like the most generic fantasy movie, but set in space. Normies don't even care about special effects/modeling, which is probably its only saving grace. I guess it's just 2pleb4me.
>>
>>15609129
They both suck now. Star Wars is just more marketable and it always has been.
>>
>>15610925

> The only one that even remotely seems testable is the whole accessing unknown parts of the brain theory.

Even that is pretty fantastical, since while there certainly are parts of the brain whose function is unknown, none of the brain serves no obvious purpose. No matter what part of the brain you cut out of someone or what part is damaged the person is affected, often in fairly extravagant ways. Whether it be losing sense, memory or changes in personality, all of it already serves a purpose - so theorizing there's an unknown and/or unused part of the brain that could be used for extra sensory perception of some kind is fairly silly.

Which is also leaving out that it makes no evolutionary sense for a creature to evolve the capability to telepathically make contact with the other beings or the outside world using only their mind - that's what eyes, hands, ampullae etc. are for, they're the brains tools to interact with the outside world, since it's not capable of just doing so on it's own while wrapped up in skin, muscle, bones etc.
>>
>>15609788
>Also a real shame that we've never gotten an iai style draw on a lightsaber.
Haven't one or two people done tricks with flicking their lightsabers on and off really quickly?
>>
>>15609788
>>15619743
>iai
Oh how I hate this weeb obsession with "iai" aka the dumbest sword style to never exist
>>
File: 1336060638311.gif (175KB, 500x417px) Image search: [Google]
1336060638311.gif
175KB, 500x417px
>TFW The Next Generation is more interesting than the entirety of Star Wars.
>>
>>15609129
Actually, for me, it's just that Star Trek had SO MUCH stuff already in its expanded canon. I could never work up the effort to really get into it.

With Star Wars, you just have to follow the movies and the rest of franchise is pretty accessible. Star Trek has entire seasons of shows to follow comparatively.
>>
>>15620088
What's wrong? Can't handle 729 episodes of television and 13 movies?
>>
File: 1495130259413.png (159KB, 700x674px) Image search: [Google]
1495130259413.png
159KB, 700x674px
>>15620070
>tfw DS9 is superior to TNG

Picard might be my favorite captain but DS9 has been a great ride from start to finish. Probably the only series with few trully shit episodes.
>>
>>15620118
I feel the same way. TNG is my personal favorite but DS9 was the overall best.
>>
>>15620108
I wonder how this comparison will match up by the time Disney is done milking Star Wars dry.
>>
>>15620136
>do another trilogy in a decade from now
They may never be done.
>>
>>15620130
It's easier to do a large number of story arcs when the main cast is stationary. Voyager tried doing it while also doing the classic "exploration mission" thing, but it's hard to justify encountering the same baddies without either being chased or going through their "sector", but those arcs didn't really fly with fans and they found it hard to justify being chased for more than a month or being stuck in a domain while going full speed for more than a month.
>>
>>15620149
UNTIL WE'RE ALL DEAD.
>>
>>15620118
>>15620130
I find it hard to compare the two. Actually, I find it hard comparing DS9 to any other Trek series since the format is so different.
>>
>>15610698
astrology isn't a pseudoscience it's a divination technique (i.e. magic)
>>
>>15620215
Actually look it up, anon.
>>
>>15620206
I feel like DS9 had no pressure behind the scenes, they just tried to do something new and experiment a little. A shame Trekkies gave it a lot of shit, we will never get another series like it since the old fucks in the top think everyone hates it.
>>
>>15620719
DS9 is sort of getting redeemed now, ever since it was put on streaming sites. I think it was just too different for people back when it aired, since it was in the middle of the TNG heyday. I mean, they were able to make their crowd funded documentary pretty handily.

I think the same thing is going to happen for Enterprise one day, people will realize it was better than they initially thought
>>
>>15620727
I've been looking forward to the documentary. It's a shame Avery Brooks wants no part of it.
>>
>>15620727
I've been trying to give Enterprise a second chance recently after quitting on it when it first aired. So far it's just as dumb as I remember though I don't outright hate it anymore.
>>
>>15620759
His episode on Shatner's Captains show should supplement his part.
>>
>>15618962
>If he hated it then he wouldn't be in it.
You are a simplistic idiot. Hamill has constantly dropped hints since production on TFA/Episode VII of disatisifcation with Kathleen Kenndy, Disney executives, JJ Abrams, and now Rian Johnson about how they are handling the mythos and franchise and the direction the Sequels are moving in.

The clip that anon posted even shows Kennedy cutting him off when raining on her bullshit parade.
>>
>>15623362
>Kathleen Kenndy, Disney executives
Besides that she's basically a Disney exec since she wouldn't even have the job if Disney didn't buy out Lucas Films, NOBODY likes her or her and Hart's "Story Group".
>>
>>15609420
Shit, that's actually pretty interesting.
>>
>>15620118
Wut? Did anon watch season 1-3??
>>
>>15609147
I want to see you try to rationalize this.
>>
>>15619005
Alright, tell me why you hate Han Solo,
>>
>>15623362

> The clip that anon posted even shows Kennedy cutting him off when he's raining on her bullshit parade

> "In, in VII, you discover Luke obviously is a hermit on this island, that he's, there's so much unsaid about where he's been and what he's done and actor's like to write their own backstory; you know you want to figure out what you've done and where you've been, and...but I realized that wasn't really important to the story of Force Awakens. I still made it up myself, and you know, I tried to show it to J.J, and he, you know, was accommodating, but basically patted me on the head, gave me a cookie and made me go away. Because, basically, you know, whatever, make it up, I mean they allude to things that have happened and to a certain extent you know, it's not Luke's story anymore, but I, I think he's an important part of the overall arc of the saga, and again, there's a lot of mystery about him, even within the film, so you have to fill in your, your own backstory. I'm sure there'll be comic books and video games and novels that tell the story but, uh..."

Woah, it's a good thing she broke in to that tirade. Wouldn't want people hearing Mark Hamill talk about how actors routinely fill in their own character's backstory and he had to do it for Star Wars too. If that's your bar for hate, it's set very low.
>>
File: DAD0hTKUAAAUkTP.jpg (92KB, 1200x663px) Image search: [Google]
DAD0hTKUAAAUkTP.jpg
92KB, 1200x663px
>The airing details for Star Trek: Discovery's first season have been announced. The series will premiere on 24 September 2017, with the first episode being broadcast on CBS at 20:30 EDT, whilst the second episode will be available on CBS All Access alongside it. Subsequent episodes will become available on All Access on successive Sundays until 5 November 2017, when a mid-season break until January 2018 will begin.

Is your body ready?
>>
>>15624968
I'm never ready to have vomiting and diarrhea at the same time.
>>
>>15611345
Popular things spawn memes, not the other way around.

Jojo was popular long before the internet, child.
>>
>>15609129
>> 1. Lightsabers are cool and ironic
>> 2. Force magic powers are cool and new-age "spiritual" voodoo for cool hippie wiccans
>> 3. The "Lore" is "deep" and "huge"
>> 4. Action-dominated trash is more popular just like Call of Duty
>> 5. John Williams music is the best for plebeian scum
>> 6. JEW MONEY
>>
>>15624983

What's so bad looking about it? Beyond those uniforms at least.
>>
>>15625056

All of Hollywood is Jew money, including CBS.
>>
>>15609129
I think it's more of the total failure to produce a good Star Trek show for an incredibly long time and that the recent star trek movies are absolute trash that fails to present a consistent universe people can be interested in or establish any kind of ongoing narrative.
>>
>>15610866
The organization of starfleet is based on genes experience as an air force officer. He had no idea how ships work and was apparently didn't notice that 99% of all things done in all branches of the military are done by enlisted people.

Subsequently nothing about how starfleet works makes sense at all. You have starship crew needing doing the equivalent of a 4 year degree to go and do the job of an E-1 boatswains mate for no pay, and despite the fact that this organization is massive and operates hundreds of ships with large crews only has a single training facility on planet.

It's nonsense.
>>
Star Trek is redditcore
>>
>>15624680
t. Disney shill
>>
>>15624983
>>15625058
How bad could it get? At the end of the day, it's still more Star Trek.
>>
>>15625833
I'm just hoping it will be Star Trek and not Star Wars Trek.
>>
>>15618522
E=mc^2
9.0x10^16 J/kg, 10tons=20,000# (/2.2#/kg), 10tonnes=10,000kg
10 tons: 8.2x10^20 J = 2.0 gigatons TNT
10 tonnes: 9.0x10^20 J = 2.2 gigatons TNT

The total global nuclear arsenal is supposed to be 1.5 gigatons (TNT).
So at 10 isotons their biggest bombs are 50% larger than Earth's entire modern nuclear arsenal.
>>
>>15625946
>>15618522
The Isoton measurement is not a real world measurement and there is no direct comparison between it and real world measurements made in any star trek material.

You are both dumb and wrong.
>>
>>15626178
There's some technical manual shit, but that's non-canon, ambiguous and sometimes contradicts itself.
>>
>>15611345
We had meme free Jojo threads on /a/ for YEARS before some faggot autist mod decided it just HAD to become a General
All Jojo memes originated on the English internet from that General within the past couple years
Therefore you are Wrong and Underage, begone knave
>>
>>15618589
Cos the actors don't write their own lines, dummy
They can't help that most of the Episodes were made up on the spot by monkeys on typewriters
>>
>>15625402
>the recent star trek movies are absolute trash
3rd one didn't have those hack Transformers writers or Abrams full attention, instead Simon pegg helped write it
What I'm saying is that it's good, just ignore the 1st two
>>
File: 1497931928328.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497931928328.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>>15609495
> Oh thats the truth. I am one. But see, I SW fans didnt bully me growing up in smalltown USA, it was, in my own experience, startrek fans putting me down. I think both are great, and both owe their continued existence to the other.

How much of a nerd do you have to be to get bullied by trekies?
>>
>>15626310
Almost sounds fake.
>>
File: Captain's Work.jpg (123KB, 855x1303px) Image search: [Google]
Captain's Work.jpg
123KB, 855x1303px
Are there any sports in Star Wars besides pod racing?
>>
>>15628096

Kessel run and shooting womp rats.
>>
>>15628193
>Kessel Run
That's a route used by smugglers. That's like saying "stadium" is a sport or "field" is a sport.
>>
>>15626310
Maybe he was a furry.
>>
>>15628220
Seems a better analogy would be saying US/Mexico drug trafficking is a sport.
>>
>>15628231
>You've never heard of the Millennium Burro?…It's the donkey that made the US/Mexico drug trafficking in less than twelve miles
>>
>>15628220

It's not like shooting womp rats is a sport either. People do them for fun and get competitive about them, suggesting there is sports using similar ideas (like space ship races or whatever), but they're about as close as the movies come outside the Pod Races.
>>
File: 1175307282893.jpg (214KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
1175307282893.jpg
214KB, 694x530px
>>15628228
Then he deserved it.
Set phasers to bully.
>>
File: I lfti.gif (792KB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
I lfti.gif
792KB, 260x195px
>>15630674
Dukat is so good
Thread posts: 143
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.