[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/09/cha ppie-director-says-respo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: chappie.jpg (501KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
chappie.jpg
501KB, 2000x1333px
http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/09/chappie-director-says-response-to-flop-was-unbelievably-painful/

> Just a few years ago, coming off the unexpected breakthrough success of District 9, Neill Blomkamp seemed like one of the hottest young directors in Hollywood. Unfortunately, some of his recent movies haven’t fared as well. For instance, 2015’s Chappie stumbled at the box office and inspired mostly negative reviews; EW called it “dull” in a C review. Now, in a new interview with Den of Geek, Blomkamp said he took those criticisms hard.

> “Chappie was unbelievably painful for me,” Blomkamp said. “That was difficult on several levels. But the thing with Chappie was, it felt like it was extremely close to the film I had in my head. Up until the film came out, I felt like I had given my all, and that I’d tried my hardest to make the film I had in my head, and I felt like I achieved that.”

> Elsewhere in the interview, Blomkamp adds that negative reception of Chappie “definitely hurt several parts of my career, I think.” Earlier this week, in an interview with The Verge, Blomkamp confirmed that his long-awaited Alien sequel is “totally dead.”
>>
>>15605993
Chappie was unbelievably painful to watch too so that's both sides I guess.

I appreciate that they were trying to make a unique movie that could be set apart from generic mass-production Hollywood action trash, but it turned out to be a cringey mess of a gangster film without a single likable character.
>>
I've never even bothered to watch this.
>>
>>15606006
Good. Save yourself the trouble.
>>
>>15606017
That was my line of thinking.
>>
>>15606006
Same.
>>
>>15605993
Speaking of Blomkamp, he seems to be working on a sci-fi series comprised of short films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K0RogrIXno
>>
File: 130221984383.png (84KB, 299x288px) Image search: [Google]
130221984383.png
84KB, 299x288px
>>15606006
i almost got baited by "its like district9 but with robots". im not falling for that.
>>
>>15606028
It's nothing like that, it's even worse.

It's about retarded gangsters raising a robot to become a retarded gangster.
>>
Guess I'm again in the minority who liked it. Okay, it was a bit too long but not really boring and dull as most seem to think.
>>
>>15605993
Call me crazy but I enjoyed it. It's just Short Circuit with a new coat of paint and quirky flawed characters with an overall exaggerated comic book narrative.
>>
>>15606133
The ending was too much of a cop-out though. It would've been more interesting to watch him come to terms with mortality, something like The Fountain.
>>
>Movie is actually just an excuse for that one South African duo to frontline the entire movie.
>They weren't in any of the advertising so they knew that it probably wouldn't get people to care
>>
>>15605993
Elysium sucked!
>>
>>15606031
>>15606144
This. I enjoyed the other parts of the show except for that retarded gangsta shit.
>>
>>15605993
Chappie is fucking hilarious as a comedy. It's problem was more that it was marketed as a serious film when you basically had a bunch of niggers get a robot to raise.
>>
>>15606347
Ironically, the film might have been a roaring success if they had marketed as
>streetwise G and homie have to raise a robot, hilarity ensures
>>
>>15606136
Yeah Chappie was a fun movie, but those last 20 minutes were just plain painful.
The gangstas saved the movie honeslty, anything involving thei ndian guy was terrible.
>>
Between seeing District 9 and Elysium I thought Blomkamp knows how to make incredible awesome sci-fi toys. He could really use a veteran writer. Shit, even a screenplay writer just to be able to lay his movie out early, stripped of visuals, and try to make a cohesive movie with the scenes Blomkamp dreamed instead of struggling to make them fit.
>>
>>15605993
>make a movie staring trash
>it becomes trash

how could this happen?!
>>
>>15605996
That's what happens when you cast the disgusting Die Antwoord as the leads.
>>
>>15606618
>The gangstas saved the movie honeslty,
They were the fucking worst part, what are you smoking?
>>
>>15606617
That's what I don't get, it's fucking obvious whats happening is funny. You have a wigga robot trying to act tough while clinging to a rubber chicken ff.

>>15606618
The ending is how you do an emotional comedy. It's the same way the dog has to die at the end of a movie about a dog and it's owner. It's an easy way to make people invested in the movie.
>>
>>15606732
Pretty much this. If he would back away from writing and stuck to directing solely Blompkamp would have some ace films.
>>
>>15606006
Good, its full of the same shit that dragged down District 9 but without any of the good parts to save it.
>>
I liked Chappie.
>>
Die Antwood is sort of meta in this movie.

They're poser gangster rappers. That play poser gangbangers.
>>
>>15605993
What the fuck was he thinking would happen by having Die Antewood as part of the main cast? Hell, what was he even thinking with such a clusterfuck of a script?
>>
>>15605993
That's what happens when you make the same movie three fucking times.
>>
>>15605993
> Earlier this week, in an interview with The Verge, Blomkamp confirmed that his long-awaited Alien sequel is “totally dead.”

Sounds like Ridley Scott killed this so he could have all the nostalgia bucks to himself. I hope Blomkamp at some point describes what his Alien movie would have been like, apparently from the concept art he released, it would have been a brand new Alien 3 where Hicks and Newt survived the trip back home along with Ripley.

I hated the actual Alien 3, so a new Alien 3 probably would have been better.
>>
I found it to be alright. Wasn't great, but it definitely was not boring or bad. Then again, I don't think I enjoyed it in the way that was intended.
>>
Can I hev meh keeees pleeeese
>>
>>15608700
Hicks has to find Newt
They go find Ripley
They go into WY HQ
They get in power loaders
VOOOOKING BOOOGS
>>
>>15607162
>>15606766

Basically this 5 minute clip ruined the movie's prospects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8szZ_WBdqE

Right about the time Chappie was being promoted there was a huge backlash against fake gangsters, Die antward being some of the fakest gangsters on the planet.

Their entire theme is being 'hardcore white Africans from the ghetto', but they're actually just rich kids dressing up, coming from a background of spoken word and poetry, (although congrats on the tattoos, shows real commitment to the character).
>>
>>15611071
I have no idea who this guy was (and honestly still don't), the retarded gangster stuff was just cringey.
>>
If I wanted to watch a schlocky robot with a paki accent, I'd rewatch Endhiran.
>>
>>15606766

Yolandi was decent, but Ninja was an absolute prick on set and likely caused some script changes that didn't help the film
>>
>>15605993
Didn't he say that his "Alien" movie was on hold because Ridley Scott asked him so? Something about how his "prequels" CHANGES EVERYTHING? It was a bad deal because who knows how long Ridley's dragging his prequels out till.
>>
>>15605993
Cheer up Neill ;_;
>>
>>15611071
I don't think it's that complicated

They're just... bad. Not entertaining. Not particularly attractive. Not good actors. Probably not good rappers?

It'd be like if Neil Blomkamp was Swedish and stuck Pewdiepie in his movie. The army of toddlers who think that dude's hilarious might be into it, but the average movie goer is going to wonder why a screeching harpy with a quagmire of an accent is in a movie
>>
Maybe if the movie was actually good instead of a really elaborate Die Antwoord ad, it wouldn't have flopped.
>>
He should have gotten ICP instead.
>>
Blomkamp has good ideas and concepts, but his writing is highly questionable.
>>
>>15613606
I think he meant as in that's who they actually are in real life.

This guy put it well >>15607162
>They're poser gangster rappers. That play poser gangbangers.

I think the fact is that Ninja does see himself as an artiste and has an inflated ego, given his success, which is why he was supposedly hard to work with on set.
South Africans are usually really hard headed to work with, and usually artists doubly so, so I can see why it might have been difficult.
>>
I felt for the pajeet creator
I also appreciate the PS4 joke
>>
>>15611071
>>15613606

They're performance artists. Always have been. Even in that video those are just other characters they're playing. They're so deep into these performances that they're more character than person now.
>>
This is why you get the whole budget from toy manufacturers and move on to the next thing when finished.
>>
>>15613653

>pajeet

Blomkamp is South African. All of his movies are about Apartheid and class inequality and are always either set in or filmed in Johannesburg.
>>
>>15613660

I think he means the guy in the movie that created Chappie.
>>
>>15613660
I mean the guy in the company, Hugh Jackedman's rival >>15613672
>>
I think he's freaky and I like him a lot.
>>
It is not over yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs
>>
>>15616025
holy shit yes, how many shorts is this going to be again?
>>
District 9 was great, but everything he's made afterwards has just been too hamfisted for its own good.
>>
>>15605993
I saw this movie while in the theaters and honestly don't remember anything about it aside from being really drunk by the end and trying to talk about Robocop to the two others who went.
>>
File: C9A1rjtVwAAjj7F.jpg (158KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C9A1rjtVwAAjj7F.jpg
158KB, 900x1200px
>>15616094
Sounds like Volume 1 will be 2-3 shorts
2nd will be some surreal alt-history Vietnam War zombies thing
3rd involves halo-like power armor
Volume 2 will have some weirder shit like a puppet show
>>
>>15605993
>response-to-flop-was-unbelievably-painful/
For whom?
>>
File: 1434424540949.jpg (95KB, 381x391px) Image search: [Google]
1434424540949.jpg
95KB, 381x391px
>>15613636
>you will never see ICP + a robot
>>
>>15611237
Greenlit when Scott wanted to make more Alien movies, kept on very early production pending Covenant release, probably fully canceled now since Covenant isn't making all the moneys. I'm dodging reviews for the sake of spoilers, but it seems to make 6/7s without a tide of money to make up for it.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.