[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is CG just used in modern robot cartoons because animators aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: gasaraki-screenshot02.jpg (37KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
gasaraki-screenshot02.jpg
37KB, 600x450px
Is CG just used in modern robot cartoons because animators aren't good enough to draw consistent mechanical and geometric shapes? On the whole, the complexity of robot design hasn't changed that much since the eighties. If anything, they've gotten somewhat simpler. CG is not cheaper than 2D, and the CG used in mecha cartoons tends to be cold, sterile, and weightless. What other possible reason would they have for using it than the simple fact that they don't have the skill or talent to draw it?
>>
>>15591059

They don't have the time or budget, rather than skill or talent.
>>
>>15591059
>CG is not cheaper than 2D

See, that's where you're wrong.
>>
>>15591059
>the complexity of robot design hasn't changed that much since the eighties

That's factually and observably wrong, actually.
>>
File: 1430818599522.webm (3MB, 624x350px) Image search: [Google]
1430818599522.webm
3MB, 624x350px
>>15591059

quality control.

The robots might not be complex, but if you want extremely robot action without forcing it to go QUALITY or pouring too much of the budget into it, CG can provide.

Especially if you want those tracking shots or crazy camera angles like in MJP.
>>
>>15591084
But the CG itself is QUALITY.
>>
>>15591059
It's largely to do with a shift in available skills.

Imagine 2d is COBOL, and CGI is Java. You may hate the latter, but you'll find far more people with the skills to do work in the latter than the former, especially for the shit tier wages that the animation industry has settled on in Japan.
>>
>>15591059

CGI lets them do crazier action scenes easier. Look at when they first started using it for IGPX, anything with Tachikomas.

Hand animation looks amazing but you end up getting shit like three good ten second fights in all of Captain Earth or every episode of Star Driver.
>>
CG started more as a gimmick in late 90s to early 2000s anime. Then it became something animators used for copy-pasting grunt mecha. Now, it's a means to survive because the Japanese studios can do CGI in-house without outsourcing to north korea.
>>
>>15591141
No one even does digital 2D anymore outside of Sunrise, and they only use it for Gundam. I just want to see 2D again
>>
>>15591059
>bad animation can be cold, sterile, and weightless.
what a surprise
>On the whole, the complexity of robot design hasn't changed that much since the eighties. If anything, they've gotten somewhat simpler.
ha
>>
File: LMiEe5h.gif (1016KB, 500x268px)
LMiEe5h.gif
1016KB, 500x268px
>>15591059
how do you feel about rotoscoped cg OP
>>
>>15591059
>the complexity of robot design hasn't changed that much since the eighties.
Look at Valvrave and tell me they haven't. The only mechs more complex are in still shots in late and early 90s OVAs.

CG is about consistency. The reality is that it's msuch easier to maintain the same look in any shot because hard surface models are consistent and you need to go out of your way to morph them off model. /m/ just doesn't realize that they're not the intended audience, and most nips, especially the kids watching this shlock, don't actually give two shits about the CG.
>>
Everyone knows that the real reason CGI is used for Mo-cap dancing.
https://youtu.be/dZE2jqYoTTc
>>
>>15591169
Bones, but they're pretty much sunrise-lite so take that as you will.

Xebec also mixes 2D with their CG
>>
>>15591059
To be fair, Gasaraki has very little movement in the combat scenes
>>
>>15591549
Also not that many combat scenes.
>>
>>15591466
I've literally never seen a Bones mecha anime that I've actually liked, go figure
>>
File: gundam-quality-3.jpg (37KB, 639x478px) Image search: [Google]
gundam-quality-3.jpg
37KB, 639x478px
>>15591059

Right because hand drawn mecha always looked PHENOMENAL
>>
>>15591169
>I just want to see 2D again
I thought the same, but then I saw iron blooded orphans
>>
>>15591549
>>15591560
It's a bit more than you'd think, and when they happen they're gorgeous as fuck.

Trust me, I've watched the show twice, there's definitely more action than most people credit it as having. There's some real good directorial trickery to keep the budget from evaporating though, in particular the characters are rather flatly colored.
>>
>>15591771
Pick a more recent hand drawn image to prove your point rather than a 30+ year old in-between frame from a low budget cartoon.
>>
>>15591168
CGI outsourcing kicked in a long while ago. Most western CGI companies serve other western companies for small jobs and batches. India and South Korea took up European and Japanese cartoons a long time ago. Shit, South Korea still does Fox studios CGI.
>>
File: boobootos.webm (930KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
boobootos.webm
930KB, 1280x720px
>>15591778
I still can't believe this is from the same studio that animated Build Fighters and 00. They must have given it to the interns.
>>
>>15591796
they're lower-budget cartoons now desu

2d is dead because 2d collapse still gets shitposted 40 years later while 3d collapse is noticeable-but-not-objectively-bad in motion, with only a side shot of "animators who aren't Obari aren't robot nerds anymore and won't volunteer to do hype cuts".
>>
>>15591071
Are you retarded?
>>
>>15591059
3D is noticably cheaper and anime in general is done on a shoestring budget.
If you get 2D mecha, you get it from someone who is loaded and can afford it.

Like the studio that made Girls und Panzer and their Regalia with 2D mecha animation, or Sunrise and their endless stocks of dosh from dominating the modelling market in Asia, or Bones, one of the most loaded studios out there.
>>
>>15591762
And you see, this is why complaining about WAHHHHHHHHH WHY IS ANIME CG NOW WAHHHHH is fucking dumb and makes me want to slice your throat open.
Bones is still one of the only TV animation studios alongside Production IG, MAPPA, and KyoAni that still does good-looking and well-animated 2D animation in 2017. It goes to show that it doesn't matter if something is well-animated or 2D, if it's shit, it's shit. Not being CG wouldn't save it.

>>15592105
>Sunrise and their endless stocks of dosh
Sunrise is absolute dogshit these days.
Look at Classicaloid, Magic-kyun Renaissance, neo-Gintama, Thunderbolt S2, IBO etc.
Something happened to their staff after G-Reco and its absolutely crippled them in terms of being able to make good anime.
>>
>>15591778
I dunno, Sunrise Studio 1 still does ok. But once they too hit a deadend we're out of luck when it comes to good looking 2D mecha.
>>
>>15592202
>Sunrise is absolute dogshit these days.
I'm not talking about quality, I'm simply saying they are making 2D mecha animation because they can afford it.

>Something happened.
They're working on Code Geass, aren't they? Probably all hand on deck.
>>
>>15592461
Don't remind me, I think it might kill this board harder than IBO by virtue of sheer shit.
>>
The problem isn't CG itself, it's that they always use horrible looking cheap shit CG
>>
>>15592560
But that's more an issue with TV animation of the 2D/3D blending variety in general, not just Mecha anime.

>>15592029
Yeah, funny story about that...

They used plenty of franchise and industry vets. Makes you wonder why they were so squandered on IBO.
>>
>>15593128
My guess is they had too much on their hands with IBO and tried to wrap things up quickly. However I dont recall too much bad animation except for some weird shots in fights.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.