[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've watched seed and destiny twice and I still don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: Freedom.png (319KB, 644x484px) Image search: [Google]
Freedom.png
319KB, 644x484px
I've watched seed and destiny twice and I still don't understand how phase shift armor works. Can someone explain it to me as you would a retarded child?
>>
>>15590188
it's literally plot armor
>>
Literal plot armour.
>>
>>15590188
It's some sort of system that makes your armor change color and deflect beams? Or was it kinetic attacks? I don't know. Nanomachines I guess.
>>
>>15590226
>Nanomachines I guess
This is always the correct answer.
>>
Some kind of energy armor. Visually neat and allows you to sell versions of kits as greyscale but otherwise seems a bit retarded.
>>
Do you always try to figure out how every piece of science fiction technology works? Just accept it works.
>>
>>15590188
Electrically hardened armor.
>>
>>15590188
Material that becomes stronger when you run a current through it. See also: Macross energy conversion armor, or the NX Enterprise polarized hull.
>>
>>15590188
It's described as a layer of electrical reactive armor. When a solid round hits the armor, an electrical discharge vaporizes it before it can do damage. There's been work on actual armor like this, but obviously there's anime magic involved in just how strong and reusable PS Armor is. Real electrical reactive armor would still take damage to the outer plating and break after being shot in a particular location once, while PS Armor just makes you invincible to solid rounds as long as you have energy to spend on vaporizing the bullets.

Beam weapons can penetrate Phase Shift armor just fine unless it's so ridiculously strong that the electrical discharge can even make a beam decohere, which only happened with GENESIS.
>>
>>15590188
>I've watched seed and destiny twice
That's two times more than the average /m/ browser.
Let's be honest, how many anime have you skipped just because /m/ told you it was bad?
>>
>>15590251
I've been trying to write a piece of fiction that uses ERA as armor for some of the mecha, and giving it a limited ability to lessen beam/laser damage as well.

But it just sounds like a rip off of Phase Shift Armor
Should i just say 'fuck it', and go with it anyway?
>>
>>15590251
GENESIS tanking shots from the antimatter cannon was still dumb.
>>
>>15590250

There's been some work on similar materials in reality too: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110606113106.htm

Obviously, those aren't even close to a 1:1 parallel to phase shift armor, but the vague principal of altering a material's state by running an electrical current through it is there.
>>
Plotus Armorus
>>
>>15590260
Yes, I'm already ripping off of Dainsliefs and the Providence Gundam, so can you.

... and I guess I'm taking the leg thruster designs from the Zeta. And a variation of Minovsky Particles.
>>
>>15590262
The antimatter cannons are dumb in the first place. Power is a huge concern in SEED and there's a huge deal about how nuclear reactors don't work, except the Archangel has guns that can fire fucking antimatter, so everything could just be powered by antimatter reactors.
>>
>>15590299
The tech level in CE is pretty schizophrenic. There's a bunch of stuff in Seed that not even Macross humanity could pull off. Fucking neutral jammers, for one.
>>
>>15590299
>>15590738

I just took this off the Gundam wiki,

> For the Archangel to be able to submerge and travel underwater, functioning and navigating like most submarines, it likely have improved pressure resistance. Pressure underwater increases by 1 atmosphere every 4 meters, while a spacecraft must withstand at most 1 atmosphere of pressure

This legit?
>>
>>15590299
>>15590738
It's definitely all over the place, to the point that I semi-seriously think the ships might run on coal.

>>15590844
What, that pressure increases quickly underwater and you need to build for it? Sure, that's legit, though it's 1 atm/10m water depth. It's also worth keeping in mind that spacecraft will typically be exposed to a 1 atm pressure differential pushing outwards, which you'd generally build differently for than pressure pushing in.
>>
>>15590188
It's the healthbar in Halo, once itruns down you take damage
>>
>>15590888
I meant about the spacecraft withstanding a maximum of 1 atmosphere of pressure.
>>
>>15590941
Every document I can find suggests that pressure is not a substantial concern for spacecraft (maximum dynamic pressure on the Shuttle's only ~0.3 atm, for instance), so it would seem that they probably are built only to withstand 1 atm, plus whatever safety factor. Warships are probably built for somewhat more, since it's expected that people will try to hit them with things.

The number honestly seems weird to me, but I looked through a lot of the literature and it was in agreement. Either I've missed something fundamental or reentry is almost entirely a thermal thing.
>>
>>15590260

Unless you explicitly make it change color depending on the current strength running through it, I don't see an issue.
>>
>>15590299
Wouldn't antimatter discharged from a cannon just immediately start eating the cannon and everything around it?
>>
>>15591363
Yes, most particle beams in all but the most tenuous atmospheres are going to suffer from at best significant blooming to at worst massive close range energy release in the case of antimatter.
>>
>>15591363
Firing naked antimatter in atmosphere would indeed explode pretty much instantly. You could do that in vacuum, though, or if you encased it in something (though anything beam-like would have blooming issues in atmosphere).
>>
>>15590251

So what's to stop the PS armor from instantly killing the characters who touch it, which they do multiple times while it is active?
>>
A question about CE tech;
Why the fuck are Neutron Jammer Cancellers even needed?
Why couldn't they just destroy/disable the Neutrom Jammers?
>>
>>15591469
Fuck if I know, this is the show that animates railgun shots as continuous beams.
>>
>>15591875
>Why the fuck are Neutron Jammer Cancellers even needed?
Because there are neutron jammers deployed all over the earth and each warship carries one.

>Why couldn't they just destroy/disable the Neutrom Jammers?
The range of a neutron jammer is so great and they are so numerous and deeply embedded around the earth that it's less of a pain in the ass to just switch the entire earth to running on non-nuclear power sources and use neutron jammer cancellers when prohibited nuclear reactions are required.
>>
>>15591886
The catastrophes of running on non-nuclear (and thus insufficient) power was a lot of what was fueling the anti-PLANT hatred. One of the first thing that council of admirals wanted to do once they got NJC tech was install it in their power plants.
>>
>>15591934
Honestly, putting so many of those damn things to cover the entire earth should have pissed off every nation and turned them against PLANT, but apparently only the EA was reliant on nuclear energy whereas most other places were already relying on different power sources. You wouldn't know it, but the background fluff says that Orb was self-sufficient in terms of power production because they had an extensive geothermal system.

>One of the first thing that council of admirals wanted to do once they got NJC tech was install it in their power plants.
And to think that they were overruled, it was decided that it was more important to have the first batch of mass produced NJCs installed in nuclear missile instead.
>>
>>15591944
It's hard to turn down the King of Braves, even when he's being a dick.
>>
>>15590251
>Vaporizes

I thought it just basically robbed it of kinetic force rendering any physical strike against it ineffective. If it just vaporized little shit on impact then melee weapons shouldn't have been as effected as they were.
>>
>>15591883
Railgun shots arent depicted as beams
See: moebius/zero railgun, duel assault shroud railgun, archangel railguns, buster railgun
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.