[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to get into some more recent mecha anime. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: 5th dimension did CNN.png (583KB, 629x481px) Image search: [Google]
5th dimension did CNN.png
583KB, 629x481px
I'm trying to get into some more recent mecha anime. I've decided to get into one, and only one, of these shows next

>Active Raid
>Gargantia
>Nobunaga the Fool
>Argevollen
>Dai Shogun
>Majin Bone
>Nobunagun

What did you think about these shows, /m/? Is there a clear winner from this list?
>>
>>15557086
I enjoyed Nobunagun but please go to /wsr/ for this kind of shit
>>
>not listing Bubuki Buranki
>>
File: majestic mech.jpg (314KB, 1263x1196px) Image search: [Google]
majestic mech.jpg
314KB, 1263x1196px
>>15557086

just watch Majestic Prince

Raid is cool be ready for shitposter
>>
>>15557086
Nobunaga The Fool and Gargantia are the best, avoid Active Raid like the plague.
>>
>>15557086
what a low energy jaku monster

very sad
>>
>>15557138
Only correct choice.
>>
>>15557211
I already did watch MJP, though, trying to stir up discussion on shows /m/ doesn't talk about as often

I get the impression no one even watched Majin Bone
>>
>>15557233
>avoid Active Raid like the plague.

>Hating fun
>>
>>15557255
It was shit, not fun at all.
>>
Nobunaga The Fool had JAM Project for the second OP. The show was alright, nothing to write about though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpX0Ds0hVuA
>>
File: 1426637746472.jpg (137KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1426637746472.jpg
137KB, 500x400px
>>15557253
Actually, there was, otherwise this wouldn't be drawn.
>>
>>15557258

It was a blast go shit post elsewhere
>>
>>15557274
It was a blast of diarrhea in the face, go shit taste somewhere else.
>>
>>15557086
Only one I can suggest avoiding is Gargantia, but that's just me.
>>
>>15557255
>>15557274
Tell me you're trolling, AR had no redeeming qualities unless you have a heel fetish. you have one dont you
>>
>>15557569
Real eyes realize real lies and The Fool is the best anime OP listed. AR was rancid, no denying that.
>>
>>15557086
Active Raid, Majin Bone, and Nobunagun were seriously fun as hell. Gargantia and Argevollen were pretty decent as well.
>>
>>15557565
Meh, it's not good if you want mecha action but it wasn't terrible.
>>
File: 464.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
464.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>15557253
>I get the impression no one even watched Majin Bone

There was a couple people iirc. I didn't participate in the threads myself but I watched the show as it aired.

It was pretty fun, all things considered. Shame it kind've bombed because I'd be down for more.

OP1 > OP2 by a loooooooooong mile though. How hard could you screw that up?
>>
>>15557614
If you've seen all of those, may I ask which one had the best animation quality?
>>
What about Kuromukuro though
>>
>>15557086
I'd say either Gargantia or Majin Bone next, but Dai Shogun is big NO.
>>
>>15557086

>not Cross Ange

It's awful but it's a glorious mess. Also, god tier OST.
>>
>>15557729
>Dai Shogun is big Number One.
>>
>>15557840
I watched that while it was airing and dropped it at episode 20. It just wasn't fun anymore
>>
>>15557138
>>15557247
He wants good shows, not garbage.
>>
>>15557931
Actually, I don't really care what's discussed ITT so long as it's relatively recent and not the usual low-hanging fruit shitposting targets like IBO, BFT, Greco, Macross Delta, Daimidaler, etc

I'd prefer a little more in-depth discussion, but I can't say I'm surprised that this thread has been mostly "it's good" or "it's shit." Sasuga, /m/
>>
>>15557086
Gargantia had a unique world, navel service, somewhat interesting philosophy (No spoilers on that), and a bro robot.
>>
>>15557569
>>15557609

Dude you've been spreading the same bullshit samefaggotry for a while now. Don't think we're not onto you.
>>
>>15559005
Amazing how paranoid you are.

>"EVERYTHING IS THE SAME GUY REEEEEEEEEEEEE"
>>
>>15557255
>>15557274
>>15557614
This is quite the samefagging
>>
>>15557086
what is the picture of
>>
>>15561063
It's an episode from Absolutely Invincible Raijin-Oh, the first of the Eldran series
>>
>>15561072
ah thanks
>>
>>15557253
Majin Bone is actually airing on a Philippine channel, and I must say I'm enjoying it.
>>
>>15564958
Is that so? I hear it has approximately zero animation and a lot of shitty ecchi humor that I'm only barely tolerating right now in Heavy Object

I only put it on the list because I like the idea of feudal Japanese robots and wanted to hear another opinion
>>
File: 48456266_p1_master1200.jpg (155KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
48456266_p1_master1200.jpg
155KB, 375x500px
>>15557086
My favorite of the bunch was actually Majin Bone. Excellent fight coreography supposedly provided by an actual martial artist, likable and sensible cast and a simple yet tight story. The ending is one of the best things I've seen in years, brace for a surprise.

BANDO WO KUNDAZE
>>
File: STAR DRIVEEEEEEER.jpg (284KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
STAR DRIVEEEEEEER.jpg
284KB, 640x960px
>>15557086
It's about 7 years old now so I'm not sure if some would call it recent (at least by 2017 standards), but I really enjoyed Star Driver, if you're into that sort of "slice of life meets super robot" thing. It's kinda slow, but I actually gave a shit about the characters so it wasn't a problem. It also has two god tier openings, although I'm biased towards the first one.

If you're looking for something more recent (as in from 2014) in the same vain, I hear Captain Earth's kinda a spiritual successor, but opinions on that is a mixed bag. Plus I don't want to start a flame war over a blind recommendation.
>>
>>15565021
I saw Star Driver a long time ago and found it astonishingly boring despite the camp factor

Bones just can't do mecha, and I'm not about to put faith in them over Captain Earth either
>>
File: 12489441890.jpg (971KB, 952x1024px) Image search: [Google]
12489441890.jpg
971KB, 952x1024px
>>15565046
Sorry, but CE had Pitz and he was awesome.
>>
>>15565046
Yeah, both shows were utter borefests. At least Captain Earth didn't try to affect an air of deepness with shitty symbolism and pretentious dialogue like Star Driver did.
>>
Active Raid could've been cool and the first few episodes are decent but then it just kind of stops caring, I wouldn't advise it.

I really liked Gargantia as a generally chill and pleasant thing and on the list it's probably the most outright high-quality.

Nobunaga the Fool was fun and esoteric but a bit shallow and kinda leaned too heavily on weird bullshit to come together.

Argevollen...ehhhhhhh. Ehhhhhh. It had a solid enough skeleton but literally no meat to it.

Dai Shogun is possibly the worst anime I've ever seen three episodes of.

is Majin Bone even mecha?

Nobunagun very much was not mecha. I also didn't like it much by the end, it started off kinda cool but died halfway through.

Therefore the answer is: watch Rinne no Lagrange
>>
>>15557086

Argevollen
>>
>>15565021

I just finished it and I guess I liked it but I can't help but shake the feeling that nothing really happened.
>>
>>15557086
>Active Raid
Power armor comedy police procedural. Very much a throw back to 90s episodic anime. You con't get a coherent plot stretched across the whole series, but you will get weekly comfy adventures of a ragtag group of technocops.

>Gargantia
Hit and miss. Some people like it, some people don't. Great world building, very pretty. On the other hand it's filled to the brim with slice of life, only the MC and the Mecha get any character development, and the supporting cast is mostly cardboard or stupid.

>Nobunaga the Fool
Kawamori being kawamori. Some love, some hate. I found it boring.

>Argevollen
Oh hey, yet another love it or hate it show. In a world of stompy front mission like mechs, the MC gets a fast, humanoid mech. It's interesting since the mecha isn't flat out superior, it's merely different from anything else, so MC's faction has to rely on asymmetrical tactics until similar mechs are made to counter it. It's also got quite a few slice of life aspects, but it's more military centered. Yet another ragtag group of military misfits, so your mileage may vary.

>Dai Shogun
Easily the worst thin on your list. Daishogun is bad. Not "some guy samefags thread to force a meme" bad, but actually "genuinely bad so no one talks about it." It's mostly panned for it's horrible animation (You know that one scene in Symphogear where two characters are supposed to be walking down a hall, but it's just them bouncing up and down? Now imagine the whole show is like that. That's Daishogun. It's more like a animated power point story board than an anime.) But it also features a non existent plot, obnoxious characters with no chemistry (which is a horrible idea when it's a harem show) and a disappointing ending.

>Majin Bone
Honestly haven't seen it since it has subbing problems when it came out.

>Nobungagun
A very weird magical girl show.

So no, there is no clear winners as most of these are niche and highly contested.
>>
The thing with Argevollen wasn't that it was necessarily bad or poorly made, it just desperately needed a lot more flavoring and life to its characters. There was some cool stuff there definitely, but the big problem comes largely in that almost no character is particularly memorable and most of them just kind of go through the motions. If you're really into a very realistically depicted military force and their tactics, the show does that very well - one thing I did like was explicitly how flight, of any kind, simply did not exist as far as I could tell, so the layout of the battlefield had a lot of weight to it.

It's a big shame ultimately, there was obviously a lot of thought put into the show but it's ultimately made more forgettable than anything due to a dearth of compelling and eye-catching character writing. The only one who I really remember in the end was the grumpy XO guy (because he turns out to be the last antagonist) who I think was relatively interesting, if let down by how dry and flat his voice was.
>>
>>15557086
At first, I misread 'recent' and 'decent', and then saw Active Raid as the first thing on the list. By all means, give it a try, but I dropped it pretty soon after starting.
>>
>>15568094
Yeah, most of the plot happens in the last couple of episodes. I didn't really mind it that much because of the fact that I actually liked the characters and was invested in their personal lives (then again the show IS part high school slice of life so I think that was the intent.) The fights were also pretty common and very cool (which is more than I can say for IBO, which has about six fight scenes in the span of 20 episodes and characters blander than the tile floor in my bathroom). But I get that the slow plot is a pretty big flaw for some people. I'm really glad that you liked it, though. Hopefully if the Eureka Seven movie trilogy does well enough we can get a proper continuation in the form of a movie. The movie teases a lot of cool stuff like Cybodies manifesting in the real world, a new Tauburn form, and Wako and Sugata getting Ginga Bishonen outfits but doesn't really do anything before becoming a full on compilation movie.
>>
>>15568890
That's not really enough to kill a show, though. I'm actually of the opinion that the vast majority of mecha shows have completely forgettable characters, though that's usually more due to them having no depth. If that's the case with Argevollen, it's not a big deal. If, however, you mean to say that no one has any personality, that indeed is a problem
>>
File: ActiveRaidSurrenderPeacefully.webm (981KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
ActiveRaidSurrenderPeacefully.webm
981KB, 800x450px
>>15557086
>this thread
/m/ has the worst shitposters, I swear. I want to know what the hell Active Raid ever did to deserve this dedicated of a shitposter.

>Active Raid
Lots of fun, cops and power armour, mostly episodic with an overarching plot.
>Gargantia
It's okay. Pretty average overall, the robot being a bro is basically the most memorable part of the show.
>Nobunaga
Haven't watched it.
>Argevollen
Basically the most military mecha show you're going to get. As a result it has little to no flashiness and the plot is a slow burn. I enjoyed it a lot, a lot of people found it slow and boring. Try it out for yourself, but try to stick around for five or so episodes, the show doesn't really find its feet until after the first couple of episodes, particularly the protagonist. If you don't like it after that, you probably won't like it at all.
>Majin Bone
Very underrated shounen series. Great animation, surprisingly good plot, would highly recommend.
>Nobunagun
Great series. Watch it if you have any respect for the dead men.

You've basically got lots of good picks, hard to pin down one.
>>
>>15568930

Im gonna be honest I still don't really understand what or why anything happened. Was that one girl an alien? The fish planet story was nice and all but something more concrete would have been appreciated. No one ever even really sits down and talks about the story in any real capacity. Why do the maidens even exist at all? Who set up the system?

It doesn't really help matters that shit just kind of ends without any real resolution. The dudes just sort of look down on earth after Sammy gets wrecked and thats it. Who does Wako pick, does Kate win the Sugata?

>The fights were also pretty common and very cool

The fights where awful. Most shows at least pretend their invisible mecha is in danger but the worst that ever happens for like 20 episodes is Tauburn takes a knee and then immediately pulls a new power out of it's ass. It was pretty sure but it was also boring.

I don't mind an invincible mech but if that's the case maybe out some external threat outside of the mecha fights. Hell the bad guys know who he is and wear he lives and almost never take a shot at him outside zero time. For that matter he's not exactly keen on raiding their base despite knowing where they live either.

This is the big thing with the show. No one really seems to care about anything beyond island school shenanigans
>>
I think the thing with Active Raid is just that it kind of disappointed people. I think a lot of people wanted Tekkaman Cops or Patlabor But They're Smaller and so had their hopes way up, but it was just a sorta nice toku crime fighting gig. I think also the second season aired at a time utterly FLOODED with good shows so it kind of got everyone's back bench.
>>
>>15569081

/a/ threads almost always hit 500 when it aired. I don't know why /m/ over looked it so but it was one of the more popular shows at the time of airing
>>
>>15569016
>/m/ has the worst shitposters, I swear. I want to know what the hell Active Raid ever did to deserve this dedicated of a shitposter.
It sucked utter ass, it deserves the title of felcher mecha more than Iron Blooded Ovaries.
>>
>>15569081
Anon you're implying it had anything decent going for it, everything was bad.
>>
>>15569016
>Haven't watched it.
You're missing the best anime of 2014.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.