[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are the shows titled 'Kidou Senshi Gundam', but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1413500348971.jpg (27KB, 640x409px) Image search: [Google]
1413500348971.jpg
27KB, 640x409px
Why are the shows titled 'Kidou Senshi Gundam', but the characters all say 'mobiru suitsu'?
>>
Why are the shows titled 'Star Trek', but even one officer not said "Star Trek", also why a ship'a name isn't Star Trek?
>>
>>15550975
I bet some shitty star trek show said something along the lines of "wow we really are on a star trek"
>>
>>15550933
"Kidou Senshi" is basically "mobile warrior" in Japanese.
>>
>>15550993
They said it on First Contact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWInKxbgUjU
>>
>>15550975
Yeah, but the show isn't named "Starship Enterprise." It would be like if the show was named "Starship Enterprise" but then the word "Starship" was never used in the show, and instead they were always called Space Boats, including the characters calling the ship itself, "Space Boat Enterprise."
>>
>>15550993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuFfmnu34rs&t=92s
>>
>>15550933
The show needed a super robot title to compete with it's contemporaries. No Japanese kid is gonna look in the TV guide and see some nonsense non-Japanese world like Mobile Suit and instantly be interested. So slap something heroic in the title and you got something that kids may watch blind.
>>
Because sometimes moonrunes have an English meaning besides their literal meaning, because English words are "cool".
>>
>>15551003
Well he was right about the shitty part.
>>
>>15550933
There's this weird thing with Japanese. They can write something but have it mean and be read as something different using their kana characters. They do this all the time with kanji characters used in anime attacks and shit.
>>
>>15551944
>>15551638

But the narrator calls the show Kidou Senshi every episode preview
>>
I'd expect most suits to be mobile. They really only need to specify the immobile ones.
>>
>>15550933
Because japan loves engrish.
>>
File: 741762.jpg (111KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
741762.jpg
111KB, 500x375px
>>15554467
Because that is the title of the show.
>>
>>15550933
Kidou Senshi allows all Jappos to understand what this is about (because wtf does "Gundam" mean to them) but then when they're in the show, people say "MOBIRU SUITSU" because having a Western named military tech is kind of exotic/interesting to them.
>>
>>15554476
What are the immobile suits anyway?
>>
>>15556478
so why not directly call it "MOBIRU SUITSU GUNDAM" for the exotic/interesting title?
>>
File: 1473559421096.jpg (58KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473559421096.jpg
58KB, 960x720px
>>15556638
>>
>>15556638
Well, Shirow was pressured to change Ghost in the Shell into a japanese title (but he still stuck Ghost in the Shell in as a sub-title), so it's not so unbelievable to think producers of that era being against non-japanese titles to works.
>>
>>15551944
Yeah I literally learned today that Kamehameha actually means something in Japanese and isn't just a Hawaii reference because Master Roshii lives on a tropical island
Turtle Destructive Wave or something like that
>>
>>15556478
>Kidou Senshi allows all Jappos to understand what this is about (because wtf does "Gundam" mean to them) but then when they're in the show, people say "MOBIRU SUITSU" because having a Western named military tech is kind of exotic/interesting to them.

THIS.

"Mobile Warrior WOWCOOL" at least is understandable -- it gives a Japanese person some idea what the hell WOWCOOL is.

"Hmmm," says the Japanese person, "WOWCOOL is a 'mobile warrior,' eh? Sounds pretty boss. I'll check it out."

But if the Japanese person saw the title "Glurpitty Plerble WOWCOOL" they'd scratch their head a write the show off as unintelligible nonsese.

"Mobiru Suutsu" carries just as much meaning to a Japanese person as "Glurpitty Plerble" does to an English speaker. (This is, of course, referencing a Japanese person who's never encountered the term "Mobiru Suutsu" before.)
>>
>>15556986
>Kamehameha

Kame = turtle
Hame = (i forget)
Ha = strike or blast (I think?)
>>
>>15551944
Rayearth has a good example in the MaShin that the gals pilot.
iirc the joke is that MaShin means Rune God or "machine"

I vaguely recall reading an interview with Toriyama a thousand years ago, I'd assume in Animerica, where he said he knew he wanted "Kame [something] HAAA!" and his wife came up with "hame" and he was like "oh cool that works"
>>
>>15556638
It was the 70's. See this reasoning: >>15551610 It only makes sense to follow the naming conventions of the time peroid.
>>
>>15556357
So much this.
>>
>>15557140
Hame = hametsu = destruction
Ha = wave
>>
>>15550933
Why does Japan love engrish so much?
>>
>>15550933
Why is the show called Soukou Kihei Votoms but the characters all call it AT/Armored Trooper?
And why the only time they use the name Votoms is the narrator at episode 3?
>>
>>15560758
Same reason Pacific Rim mechs are called Jaegers.
>>
>>15562121
Bushido?
>>
>>15564964
?????
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.