[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to get into the Mazinger Z franchise. Am I going to miss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

File: mazingerz.jpg (26KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
mazingerz.jpg
26KB, 400x366px
Looking to get into the Mazinger Z franchise. Am I going to miss out on anything if I stick with the manga for the first series?
>>
>>15550559
You absolutely are. The show is way, WAY better than the manga is, although it's also way longer. It doesn't help that the manga scans we got are apparently retrieved from a magazine that didn't print certain chapters, which is why Boss Borot just appears out of nowhere in one chapter.
>>
>>15550612
The manga scans I have are from the Japanese volume 'books'.
>>
>>15550559
If you are anything like me you will start with the manga, watch Mazinkaiser > Shin Mazinger > SKL > various other manga. At the point I'm at now I plan to watch the Toei Mazinger anime soon. Doesn't have to be your start but if you end up enjoying Mazinger you will end up watching Toeizinger.
>>
>>15550612
>You absolutely are. The show is way, WAY better than the manga is
lel
>It doesn't help that the manga scans we got are apparently retrieved from a magazine that didn't print certain chapters
Wrong. The standard collected version for decades just combined two publications done by Nagai, that's it.
>>
>>15550629
OP here, why do you say lel? Do you disagree with him? Why is that?
>>
>>15550612
>which is why Boss Borot just appears out of nowhere in one chapter.
No, to my knowledge thats just how it happened in the manga. Since Borot had been established for a while in the anime by that point they just had it show up in the manga/magazine.
>>
>>15550675
So does the manga assume you've seen the anime, even though it came first?
>>
>>15550694
Nagai just doesn't care about Borot's origins. It's a comedy manga and Borot is comic relief.
>>
>>15550694
The manga is something Nagai wrote for fun in his spare time in order to take a break from writing his infamous edgefests like Mao Dante. Perhaps because of this, many parts of it seem underdeveloped. He didn't even give the manga a proper ending, instead waiting until the beginning of the Great Mazinger manga to even begin giving the original Mazinger Z a proper conclusion.
>>
>>15550559
Good start is the Mazinkaiser Ova or Shin Mazinger Z when it comes to animation. The Toei vs movies work too.

Manga wise it's good to read the first manga so it gives you a good platform to read later installments like grendizer or shin mazinger zero, from what I know the great mazinger manga is still being translated. Bakabt has all of what I mentioned accept for shin mazinger zero.
>>
>>15550694
>So does the manga assume you've seen the anime, even though it came first?
No the anime just became secondary to the anime. Both were popular but the anime was a phenomenon and took precedence, I assume that at the time it just became assumed you were watching the anime especially since after a year or so the manga converted to a television magazine where it was a bit more childish and became more a companion to the anime.

Honestly the origin of Borot is a great episode, but it's not like it's necessary. In the manga it's just treated like "hey Boss has a robot now too!" And if you wanted context you could watch the anime. Since it's a MotW series that context for a comic relief character having a robot wasn't super necessary.
>>
>>15550559
PS: Great mazinger's manga is not available on Bakabt.
>>
>>15550738
>the great mazinger manga is still being translated
It's not. The project is dead in the water. xpearse "translated" the rest if find his drivel acceptable
>>
>>15550763
Well I guess we have to wait and see if Seven Seas entertainment picks it up
>>
>>15550773
>>15550763
Also, Ota's version got done by a French scanlation group, if you're fluent and interested by that.
>>
>>15550737
>The manga is something Nagai wrote for fun in his spare time in order to take a break from writing his infamous edgefests like Mao Dante.
Dante was finished, it was Devilman that he was writing that he was having fun and using Mazinger as stress relief. He came up with the prototype Energer Z off silly ideas like "I wanna be Mao Dante and crush buildings" or "I want to drive my bike into a robot and walk over traffic" or "The remote is so far away I wish I could shoot my hand like a rocket to go grab it".

He then released it while he was working on his opus Devilman but much to his surprise, while Devilman was successful Mazinger his way of blowing off steam became even more popular. From the interviews that he's had about it he actually comes off as a little bitter at the time that Mazinger overshadowed Devilman.
>>
Anyone have a link to the 0choba subs for Mazinger Z?

Bakabt has registration disabled, and I don't have an account.
>>
>>15550799
You could see if AB is accepting applications and then wait for the freeleech period that will probably trigger in a day or two
>>
>>15550763
>if find his drivel acceptable
I'm the most critical of xpearse here, but the scans are alright. I've seen worse.

>>15550694
Mazinger Z started in Shounen Jump, but at some point, Nagai couldn't muster any creativity for it, so he moved it to TV Magazine, a magazine for younger children, where manga is usually served as accompaniment to the anime. This is where you start seeing Mazinger chapters that are short and introduce things rather quickly.

I still say read the manga, because its key chapters are used as basis for Mazinkaiser and Shin Mazinger. The original TV series does some of the chapters too, but it's not as accurate.
>>
>>15550787
Could you link me?
>>
File: Pygman_saga.jpg (381KB, 494x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Pygman_saga.jpg
381KB, 494x1200px
Nagai's best ideas for the series came in reboots like MazinSaga. I haven't read it, but I played the game on the Sega Genesis.

It's essentially a grittier version of the original manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwM4vzyfmOI
>>
File: Gorgon_saga.jpg (313KB, 820x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Gorgon_saga.jpg
313KB, 820x1200px
Also MazinSaga apparently doesn't have an ending, and Nagai couldn't find a way to finish it.

Either way, this would make a cool anime adaptation that could include an original ending just like with the Mao Dante anime. I always liked the idea of a power armour Mazinger.
>>
>>15550811
They aren't accepting, unfortunately.
>>
>>15550850
A shame. I'll upload it to new nyaa then, give me a few minutes
>>
>>15550858
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>15550813
Sure thing.
http://forum.anime-heart.fr/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=838
>>
File: Liger.jpg (26KB, 200x282px) Image search: [Google]
Liger.jpg
26KB, 200x282px
>>15550840
>>15550843
If you're looking for something similar to Mazinsaga but translated and is finished check out the Juushin Liger manga.

Here's a torrent:
https://bakabt.me/torrent/164371/juushin-liger
>>
>>15550862
Here ya go
https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/924535
>>
>>15550881
I lost my bakabt account and I didn't like Jushin Liger. I honestly think it's one of Nagai's poorest attempt at mecha to be honest.
>>
>>15550916
The show is supposedly better, but barely has any subs.
>>
>>15550919
The show looks awesome.

Nagai sold the license to the NJPW around 2 years back though, and after seeing the manga, I can see why. Nagai didn't seem to have any attachment to it.
>>
>>15550763
He messed up some stuff, but I think he fixed at least some of the mistakes. It's better than nothing™
>>
If you can, read the Ota trilogy and not the Nagai Trilogy, its way better, has a better continuity and fuses elements from the anime and the manga.
>>
>>15551351
Is that one called something else? Are scanlations available?
>>
>>15551378
Not really, but the first two entries are done in French (>>15550871), while Grendizer was completed by Happy Scans and Hokuto no Gun.
>>
>>15550559
The manga is crap. Just saying.
>>
>>15551617
You think the anime is better?
>>
>>15550716
>Nagai just doesn't care about Borot's origins.
Nagai didn't give a shit about Mazinger period. It's obvious that Devilman is his love child.
>>
File: MazingerZ5_31082005.jpg (48KB, 612x842px) Image search: [Google]
MazingerZ5_31082005.jpg
48KB, 612x842px
>>15550559
I was reading it in this when child, I had no idea it was in the same universe as Goldorak
>>
>This thread
How many people on /m/ are French? I had no idea.
>>
>>15550914
Not him, and I have it already, but thank you for your efforts.
>>
>>15551617
except it's not
>>
>>15551827
Well them using different name for Koji in both probably didn't help. I guess France also never got the crossover movie.
>>
>>15553674
Actually, it did, dubbed no less. It must have been even more confusing when they got the crossover with Getter G though.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3609
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3616
>>
>>15551998
?
>>
>>15553674
>>15553697
not as confusing as when power rangers came here since we had all the original super sentai in french, before
>>
>>15554015
Can you elaborate?
>>
>>15556715
France had Bioman back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GA2Nn7RXZ4

And the awful Bernard Minet version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbg-InH7EGo
>>
>>15556715
powers rangers was using different scene from different super sentai series in a huge mixing so when you already know the serie where it come from you're just lost seeing power rangers
>>
>>15550559
>>15550559
Start with shin or Kaiser
>>
>>15559072
Can I watch skl?
>>
>>15560776
You can watch whatever the fuck, none of these shows have anything to do with each other except for the incredibly minor continuity between the three Toei shows.

SKL has even less to do with the other parts of the franchise than usual. It's like what Dancouga Nova is to the original Dancouga
>>
>>15560776
Sure, watch all three in whatever order you want, really.
>>
Ways to get into Mazinger:
1) Original manga
2) Gosaku Ota manga (goes into his adaptations of Great Mazinger and Grendizer adapts original anime)
3) Mazinkaiser + movie (more accurate adaptation than original anime)
4) Shin Mazinger Z-hen (it is basically original manga adaptation + Relic of Terror + Z Mazinger + original content)
5) Mazinkaiser SKL (has nothing to do with original story, but a nice short standalone that can be used as appetizer)
Shitty ways to get into Mazinger:
1) Anything Great Mazinger and Grendizer (first one is always a sequel and the second one is more of a standalone story with a similar mecha and Koji as a supporting character)
2) God Mazinger (a completly different beast)
3) Mazinger (USA)/MazinSaga/Z Mazinger/Shin Mazinger Zero (reimagenings of the original that is a better read with some knowledge about franchize)
4) Mazinger Angels/Mazinger Otome/Robot Girls Z (fun parody works)
>>
Crabsticks. You can't be a real /m/an if you haven't watch crabsticks
>>
>>15550612
Zero was the best mega.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.