[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently watched Gundam 0079 on recommendation from a friend.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: gundam0079.jpg (57KB, 328x465px) Image search: [Google]
gundam0079.jpg
57KB, 328x465px
I recently watched Gundam 0079 on recommendation from a friend. It's the first anime I've seen. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Things I liked:
>Sayla and Char, as characters
>The development of the characters
>The robot designs
>Newtype/lore development
>Amuro tripping space balls every battle during the last few episodes

Things I didn't like:
>In the middle of the series, all of the 'arcs' feel very same-ish
>The ratio of battles/story was a little lopsided in favor of the former, IMO
>I'd have liked to have seen more about the MS tech and the Newtypes - they're never fully explained

Based on this, do you think I would enjoy Zeta Gundam? Or any other mecha anime?

I won't watch Gundam shows/films/OVAs out of production order, but are there any manga/novels I should read before I get to Zeta?
>>
>>15548659
>do you think I would enjoy Zeta Gundam?
Yea. It's a better composed series than MSG and has the episodes usually have a more sensible transition.
>>
>>15548666
Hail Satan

>>15548659
Don't let /m/ fool you, zeta is the shit
>>
File: 35048_gundam.jpg (2MB, 1920x1227px) Image search: [Google]
35048_gundam.jpg
2MB, 1920x1227px
>>15548659
Believe in the sign of Zeta, friendo. You won't regret it.
>>
>>15548666
> the episodes usually have a more sensible transition.
True for the most part, but near the end that's not really the case at all which really disappointed me personally.
>>
>>15548659
>Or any other mecha anime?
Not really. Vast majority of mecha series have far more battles than plot (although you can learn to appreciate this if you enjoy creative action scenes and/or unusual setups) and I can't even think of one that gives an adequate explanation as to how its robots work regardless of whether or not said robots seem realistic. Even apart from that, though, Mecha shows with episodic structure (which is most of them, especially those before the mid 2000s) usually do very little in terms of character development or lore. Mecha is something you get into primarily for action scenes.
>>
>>15548799
I enjoyed the action as well, but the character driven plot is what sold me on this show. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't like the action, especially early on when they really tried to emphasize how special the RX-78-2 is.
>>
>>15548809
Well, if you were concerned about the number of battles, then I figured it might be an issue for you.

If character driven plot is your thing, Armored Trooper VOTOMS is probably the best example of that mecha has to offer, probably moreso than Gundam itself. It's kind of unusual in that regard, I might add, as understandably most mecha series are based around some sort of war, almost all of which are started either because of ideological differences or because one side is unapologetically evil and wants to destroy the other because that's the evil thing to do. No one ever starts a war for personal reasons. But VOTOMS stands out, if nothing else, because it starts at the end of an intergalactic war, with an armistice being signed between the first and second episodes.
>>
>>15548858
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>15548666
Zeta sucks
>>
>>15548799
>I can't even think of one that gives an adequate explanation as to how its robots work regardless of whether or not said robots seem realistic
Dunbine did a bit of that, early on. It's certainly not a common thing.
>>
File: 1479465363503.jpg (50KB, 225x314px) Image search: [Google]
1479465363503.jpg
50KB, 225x314px
>>15548659
Maybe you should check pic related before you try to enjoy other Tomino's works. It uses more or less similar formula like Gundam but with more emphasis on the characters and backstory, first half of the series may feel redundant but the latter half and the concluding movie are really worth it. Not gonna spoil anything but this is where Tomino earned his infamous nickname.
>>
>>15549534
Looks cool, I'll add it to the list.
>>
>>15548659
Watch King Gainer
>Interesting characters
>Top-tier fight scenes
>Good action/story ratio
>>
File: 1490996401979.jpg (63KB, 358x400px) Image search: [Google]
1490996401979.jpg
63KB, 358x400px
>>15550601
>Watching any Tomino shows made after 1994

I don't know how the hell it happened but the man somehow managed to lose his marbles AFTER fixing his depression issues.

Either that, or I'm just grossly being mislead by the two works that followed V Gundam.
>>
>>15550636
>he hasn't watched Gainer
What are you doing? Go fix that right away.
>>
>>15548693
BEYOND THE HARD TIMES NOWWWWWWWW
>>
>>15549534
>Tomino nickname
I apparently haven't heard this one, i assume it has something to do with hating adults/women
>>
>>15550636
>Garzey's Wing
Anon, you only watch that dubbed and if you want to laugh for a few hours.
>>
>>15550757
>he doesn't know
You're in for a fun time
>>
>>15548659
Zeta is the absolute apex of Gundam, and in fact, all mecha anime. You won't be disappointed.
>>
>>15548659
>>Based on this, do you think I would enjoy Zeta Gundam?
I think so. It's not as good as the original and does suffer from the same things on your 'didn't like' pile, but as long as you don't expect improvement on that front I reckon you'll still like it. Be warned, the story is left intentionally unresolved so as to lead directly into Gundam ZZ which follows on directly from Zeta. You're essentially commiting to almost 100 episodes if you want the full story.

>Or any other mecha anime?
Sure. VOTOMS or Super Dimensional Fortress Macriss might be something to look into in the future. Those are from roughly the same era as Zeta Gundam and go off in different directions and tone.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.