[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone play Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001? I'm almost

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 16

File: Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001.jpg (48KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001.jpg
48KB, 400x400px
Did anyone play Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001? I'm almost at the end, and... it's not a very good game.
>>
>>15543542
I did, apparently it has more route splits than fucking Masoukishin.

I didn't even get to midgame because I just got so damned bored with it, I kinda wish we got another take on it though.
>>
>>15543591
You dodged a bullet, then. In the last 15 to 10 stages, you have to defeat giant enemies with just those paltry planes. You can sort of cheat by calling Hayata/Dan (Ultramen) and parking them on a Charge pad (charges HP/EN to full every turn), but that becomes boring when you have to fight 30 enemies with only character.

One thing the game loves to do is to throw a character you never used against 50 enemies at once. They even make you fight them with only sidekicks, once or twice.
>>
>>15543605
I remember Shaider having anti-L weapons but if all you got is fucking Ultraman, I can see why that would get dull quick.
>>
File: 21187_527508.jpg (30KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
21187_527508.jpg
30KB, 300x296px
The route splits are a little different from SRW, because some of them are decided by actions you've done in a prior stage, not a prompt that appears onscreen. For example, if you defeat Bemular with Specium Beam, you get locked onto the Ultraman Route. If not, Space Sheriff Route.

Also, you can actually keep Kamen Rider Black to the end of the game. There's a stage where he normally gets an upgrade to Black RX, but if you tell Kotaro to keep being an helicopter pilot, he'll have a last duel with Shadowmoon, and keep being Black for the rest of the game.
>>
>>15543609
All Space Sheriffs can call a giant robot or ship, but you probably never upgraded them to begin with. Another thing that's fucked up is character level scaling. Shaider's robot will get one-shotted by a grunt that's 30 levels below him, because the game says so. You can upgrade Giant Robo to full armor, and even then a boss can two-shot him.
On the other hand, all the Ultramen have 99% chance to dodge an attack even when they are 5 levels below the enemy. They're the first characters to hit 9999 damage too.

I wonder if they ever explain in-game why the hell you can't upgrade some characters.
>>
File: Super_Hero_Generation_-_Box_Art.jpg (37KB, 293x340px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Hero_Generation_-_Box_Art.jpg
37KB, 293x340px
How's this game? Is it worth importing?
>>
>>15543755
It uses the same system as SD G Gen Gundam, so if you played that, it's the same game just with a different skin.
>>
>>15543610
>The route splits are a little different from SRW
Actually, route splits in classic SRW and Masoukishin work exactly like that. Not all of them, but there are a lot of splits that are decided by actions you did or did not in previous scenarios.
>>
>>15543620
>I wonder if they ever explain in-game why the hell you can't upgrade some characters.
IIRC it's a silly idea they split the characters between "bio" and "tech" units and you can only traditionally upgrade the latter
Like SRW's old limit stat, it makes sense but doesn't do anything other than be annoying
>>
>>15543810
I think it's something else, because you can upgrade:
- Kamen Riders (stats only)
- Kikaiders (stats only)
- Main character (attacks only)
- Space Sheriffs (attacks only)
- Giant Robots (both stats and attacks)

And yet, you can't upgrade Ultramen at all.

>>15543783
I mean it's kind of obfuscated. You do something minor and it becomes important 20 stages later.
>>
>>15543914
Not surprising, Ultras (even the weak ones) are insanely over powered by tokusatsu standards. Daitetsujin 17 is the only Toei hero that could hold his own against them and even then even a weak one like Powered, Great, or Neos have a much higher chance of winning.
>>
I can't remember how far I got. I know I unlocked Black RX.
>>
>>15543755
It's definitely a much better game, and you can get it on amazon for like 15 bucks.
>>
>>15543976
13 stages before the end.
>>
>>15543957
How would one rank various toku heroes anyway?
>>
>>15544102
Based on what I've seen something along the lines like this:

-Normal sentai rangers
-Hikaribitos
-Red and sixth hero sentai rangers
-Metalder
-Kikaider brothers
-Zeiram
-Zubat
-Sidekick Kamen Riders
-Normal Kamen Riders
-Inazuman
-Makai Knights
-Gokaigers
-Juspion
-Space Sheriffs
-Kamen Rider J
-Decade and Diend
-Kamen Rider Wizard (lets not forget he kicked Phoenix Phantom into the sun faster than light speed)
-WoO
-Giant Robo
-Normal sentai mecha
-Daileon
-Daitetsujin 17
-Combination sentai mecha
-Red Baron
-Space Sheriff mecha
-Tekkouki Mikazuki
-Spinoff Ultras
-Showa Ultras
-Heisei Ultras
-Combo Ultras
-Ultraman Saga
-Bomber The Great from Ohranger
>>
>>15544118
where would Godzilla and Gamera rank?
>>
>>15544123
Gamera monsters would be ideal between WoO and Giant Robo, Godzilla is trickier because there are almost more versions of him than Superman. Most incarnations would be between Daitetsujin and combined sentai mechs, the 100 meter versions (90s/Burning, Final Wars, and Legendary) would be between showa and heisei ultras.

Being on Toho Kingdom fantasy matches makes you think when they aren't overrating Armor Mothra and Wing Zero.
>>
>>15543620
>You can upgrade Giant Robo to full armor, and even then a boss can two-shot him.

That's just Winkysoft damage formulas being totally useless.
>>
>>15544510
It's weird because you can upgrade a ship's attack and they'll tank every other grunt for 100 or 200 damage. But against a boss, it's one shot and 5000 damage. Near the end, your strategy consists of shooting first and running, because if the boss hits you, you'll die no matter what.
>>
>>15544524
It's a mixture of two things. Will means a fuckload in those games, and getting a Will advantage over your enemies is huge - it means you deal a ton of extra damage and tank hits much better. (That's why even when Combattler and Voltes and Dancouga and their ilk were technically bad in the early SRWs, their immense Spirit pools always made them top tier - same formula.) Bosses actually get Will normally, so they hit harder. On top of that, after a certain point, base power becomes so high that armor may as well not matter - and bosses are the strongest.

(In SRW Alpha, which still used that formula, there was a lategame enemy that had like a 1-9 range attack or something ridiculous with something around 4000 base power and it had loads of HP. They used them as swarm enemies in a part of the last stage. That stage is basically "use MAP attacks and things that never get hit or die horribly.")
>>
Just finished it. The final 10 or so stages are a matter of luck, there isn't anything you can do to prevent the enemy shooting you down. I was shot down at 1% a few times. The final stage is the worst, because no one can die.

If anyone is interested, the final group in the Metal Route is:
- Luciferd (Hero)
- Kamen Rider 1
- Kamen Rider 2
- Kamen Rider Black or Black RX
- Kamen Rider V3
- Kikaider
- Kikaider 01
- You get the Space Sheriffs as reinforcements. They're not really that good.

One thing I liked was how they implemented Quick Save. It's not like SRW's. It's a save that stays only on RAM memory, so you can't save it on your Memory Card, and it's erased if you reset the game (soft resetting is fine). You can make a mid-stage memory card save, just like in SRW, but Quick Save is much quicker, since you don't need to access the memory card.
>>
>>15545057
I got about 2/3 through before I lost the will to continue. I have to know, does Luciferd kill himself in the ending like he tells everyone he's going to? Probably not I assume.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
I can see why japanese people say this is a kusoge. It has an awesome premise, but does so many wrong things that it burns you out pretty fast. Just a few:
- Every single stage is interrupted a ton of times to show cutscenes. Some stages have as many as 6 or 7 of those cutscenes. At least in SRW they use to have a big cutscene before and after a stage. In this game, it's a cutscene after every turn.
- Two or three-part stages, where every part has a different failure condition, usually "don't let this weak character die". Quick Save will be your close friend.
- The game will throw characters you never used into almost unwinnable situations. Like a character who didn't appear for 10 stages, and suddenly has to fight 15 enemies all on his own. You actually get two stages where you have to fight a few grunts (usually 3 or 5) with only a sidekick. I think one is with Annie and another with Helen Bell (both are from Sharivan).
- In the last 10 or so stages, there are a ton of battles against giant monsters, and the game doesn't give you any giant robots/Ultramen to fight them. So if you didn't upgrade the Ultra Garrison jets, you're royally fucked.
- There's a stage where you have to fight a boss with that Gorenger plane. You never needed it until then, and will never need it again.
- You actually lose every single giant robot, save for one. There are three: Giant Robo, Daitetsujin 17 and Red Baron. The one you don't lose is Red Baron.
- The original antagonists have a pretty cool design, but they appear so seldomly in the game that you can't even have a good look at them. I think the hero's rival only appears ONCE before the final stages.
- Damage formula is fucked. Like Mattman said above, no matter how many upgrades you have, you get shot once by a boss, you're fucked.
>>
>>15545078
No. The girl sacrifices herself in the penultimate stage, but returns after the final battle.

I can try to upload my memory card somewhere, so you can play the ending and see it.
>>
>>15545101

Really? They consider it a kusoge?
>>
>>15545554
Not in the same level as the PS1 Xabungle game, but yes. Most of the messages I've seen on the japanese message boards complain the game is too long and people get bored pretty quickly.
The game also loves to shuffle personnel (people who can control vehicles) around. For example, if you level up one of the Ultra Hawks, and get someone to level 50 on it, there's no guarantee the game won't just put the level 1 go inside in the next stage, because that's just what it does.

Some people that finished the game found it funny that you get a lot of personnel reinforcements 5 stages before the end... and they're all level 1. They have 1% chance to hit even a giant enemy (a small unit has a huge bonus to hit a giant unit).
>>
File: 1495290075792.jpg (12KB, 130x120px) Image search: [Google]
1495290075792.jpg
12KB, 130x120px
>>15543542
Who is this?
>>
>>15545620
Voltex, an original character. There are two routes, Metal and Bio. Each route has a hero and heroine, and its own rival characters. Those rivals have pretty neat designs, but only appear a few times in the game.

You can find a lot of videos of this game on youtube, with all the attacks.
>>
>>15545620
>>15545638
It's Getter Robo Go.
>>
File: ENDMYMISERY.jpg (250KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
ENDMYMISERY.jpg
250KB, 1280x1440px
>>15543542
>It's not a very good game

And yet i'm still waiting on a translation
>>
>>15545101
Man, this game sounds like it's draconianly restrictive on which units your allowed to use and when. I can't think of an SRW game restrictive as this one sounds.
>>
>>15545743
The system works like this. There are five color-coded "armies", just like modern SRW.

Blue (normal characters)
Green (personnel)
Red (enemy)
Purple (enemy boss)
Yellow (neutral NPC)

Like SRW, whenever you get reinforcements, you get a list of reinforcements that you can summon. However, there are three versions of this list, and it changes depending on the stage:
- list with blue and green units
- list with only blue units
- list with only green units

Usually, you only get to choose between 3~4 reinforcements, sometimes only 2. I think the most I saw was 7 reinforcements, but that was very rare. Anyway, the game doesn't follow this to the letter. In a lot of stages, the game will summon 7~10 green reinforcements all at once, and won't let you choose any of them. That's when you start seeing level 1 characters piloting airplanes and helicopters. They're completely useless. The game doesn't let you choose who goes into which vehicle. There's a way to switch vehicles mid-stage, but it's so cumbersome that you will only use it in an emergency. In the last 10 stages, you'll fight mostly with the Ultra Garrison/SSSP members, but the game will shuffle people around vehicles, and let's say, that level 15 sub-pilot in one stage will suddenly become a pilot in the next. Against level 60 enemies.

If there was a way to train those personnel outside of battle, they would be much more useful. But as it is, it's pretty half-baked.

Also, I forgot to say, but there's a game mechanic where you capture landmarks like factories (only green units can capture those), but the game just forgets about it after 20 or so stages, and just gives you the landmarks from the beginning. That's one of the reasons the game seems half-finished. There's also a system where you can assign scientists to build new items, but it's a pretty simple list to complete.
>>
>>15545848
I forgot to say that sometimes the game takes people away from the list because of plot reasons. So you have stuff like Jiro disappearing for 10 stages, then suddenly having to fight 10 enemies that are 15 levels above him, on his own.

What I really hated was how rarely you could choose the Ultramen, the Giant Robots (they can only be summoned in a few stages), or some of my favorite characters. In a game crossover game, having half the cast missing during half the game is a sin.

I don't dislike the Gorengers per se, but they are almost always on the reinforcements list. I wonder why?
>>
pure kusoge
>>
File: kuruminha.png (117KB, 500x636px) Image search: [Google]
kuruminha.png
117KB, 500x636px
The only thing I remember from this game was that it doesn't reload your ammo between stages. What the fuck?
>>
>>15545848
>Green (personnel)
>Yellow (neutral NPC)

It's interesting, since SRW has mostly changed Yellow into a secondary faction color, and Green is - in a very small number of games, but it still has been this - the color for uncontrollable NPC Allies.
>>
>>15543542
Only beat the bio hero route. The game had potential, but was marred by artificial difficulty (You are forced to save scum later on or fail the mission) and outdated gameplay (For comparison, it was released around the same time with SRW Alpha 1).
>>
so let's say Banpresto does a new Super Tokusatsu Taisen game, this time closer to current SRW in mechanics and style, what series would you want to see as part of it?
>>
>>15543542
I couldn't finish, despite restarting it 3 times. I got fucked at a different "choke point" every time - such as when the game decides to throw some unit you've never used into trouble.

It has good presentation, but the gameplay is terrible, as others have stated.

The original characters are really cool - the EATER villains in particular are very distinctive, and have awesome transformations. I really look forward to seeing them in SRW some day.
>>
>>15546357
Most of the Ultra, Riders, Sentai with good mech (like GoGoV or other 90s SS), GARO, Sazers, Rescue Fire.
Ryukendo, maybe?
Some kaiju would be nice, like Gomora or Godzilla.
>>
>>15545644
that's clearly Getter Guyver Go
>>
>>15545988
Let's just say that in the final stage, the final boss always has at least 40% chance to hit your characters back (even if you max out agility and use two Hyper Maneuver items), one hit kills any character (if you max out defense, it's 2 hits), and no one can die in that stage. I think I saved at least 20 times in a single turn.

I don't really know why I kept coming back to this game. Probably just wanted to finish it. Some stages are pretty hype, though. Like when King Joe or Zetton attacks (you have to defeat them with Ultra Garrison/SSSP members), or when Turtle Bazooka appears to battle the first two Kamen Riders.

One interesting thing is that the game has the early Kamen Rider 1 and 2 designs - there's an event that will give you their "proper" forms (i.e. Hayato with red gloves and boots).
>>
File: Abphallon.jpg (97KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Abphallon.jpg
97KB, 800x600px
Some images.
This guy is the hero's rival.
>>
File: Atephalina.jpg (89KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Atephalina.jpg
89KB, 800x600px
>>
File: Volfeed.jpg (86KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Volfeed.jpg
86KB, 800x600px
This one and the guy below are enemies in the Bio route, but they also appear in the final stage of the Metal route.
>>
File: fuuuuuudge.png (262KB, 682x477px) Image search: [Google]
fuuuuuudge.png
262KB, 682x477px
Daitetsujin for SRW!
>>
File: Volhazard.jpg (85KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Volhazard.jpg
85KB, 800x600px
>>
File: Volkyria.jpg (84KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Volkyria.jpg
84KB, 800x600px
>>15546934
It already appeared in SRW W (the Jovian Lizard unit)
Probably licensing issues. One thing I wonder is how they got permission to use clips from the shows themselves, and also sound archives (they pull sound bits from the shows themselves too).
>>
File: Zephas.jpg (94KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Zephas.jpg
94KB, 800x600px
Zephas (first form of final boss).
>>
File: Zephas Core.jpg (106KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Zephas Core.jpg
106KB, 800x600px
Zephas Core (final boss).
>>
This game had no interest for me since as far as I could tell all the characters were Showa? Were there really no Heisei era characters at all?
>>
>>15546956
No Heisei. It's weird because for a game that came out in 2001, there are only shows from the 1966-1988 period.
>>
>>15546956
Heisei characters mostly suck though. They are way too flashy and gay.
>>
>>15546956
"Technically" RX, since the Heisei era started when it was airing. When it comes to Showa vs Heisei Riders, he is definitely Showa.

BTW, what you think of the OG plot, if you could make something out of it.
>>
>>15546923
>>15546925
>Type S: Speed
>Type H: HOLOCAUST
W-H-A-T
>>
>>15543542
You don't play these games for being good.
>>
>>15547743
You tell me. I started playing the Dunbine and VOTOMS games for the PS1 too, and they're never anything above mediocre.
Also the Xabungle game, but that was a low budget game. Bottom of the barrel, I mean.
>>
>>15547798
play PS2 Votoms, it's decent
>>
>>15547828
I already did, some 30 hours of it.
By playing the PS1 games, I had to face the reality that most games of licensed stuff are destined to suck.
>>
>>15547863
PS2 Votoms if polished could be an extremely good multiplayer game. Votoms universe already has enough ATs and handheld weapons to make it work. That's not even counting the vehicles/ships and space battles
>>
Keroro had a couple of games that were not-too-awful Powerstone clones
>>
>>15545951

Green in this game is the JSDF, essentially.
>>
>>15546940
My only guess is Toei themselves were heavily involved in this game's productionl.
>>
>>15546956
Kuuga only just started, what could they really use?
>>
>>15547743

Yeah but the majority of SRW are mediocre at worst, it's rare we get one that's outright BAD due to its mechanics.
>>
>>15548081
The Tiga-Dyna-Gaia Ultraman Trilogy?
Any of the 90's Sentais?
Any of the 90's Metal Heroes?
Kamen Riders Shin, ZO, and J?
>>
>>15547863
i found the ps2 testsujin game being pretty good, with the drawback that shotaro is a sitting duck when you manipulate tetsujin
>>
>>15548166
Super Hero Sakusen: Diedal's Ambition was made a year before (2000), and it has up to Ultraman Gaia. I guess with Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001, they just wanted to make a game with old Toei stuff.
>>
>>15548328
STT 2001 still had the Original Ultraman, Seven, and Jack.

If were talking what I do to improve the series list with out making too many changes, I'd swap out Jack for Tiga, and add some of the 90's sentais while probably dropping a few of Goranger and the Giant robots(I understand wanting Goranger since it was the first, but the lack of a robot really hurts. I also would like to keep Giant Robo but if your not allowed to keep him or Daitetsujin to the end of the game what's the point?)

Also give the game a better game design so it's not Kusoge. That's actually more important than the series list but that goes without saying.
>>
>>15546357
I want the newcomers to be

Kamen Rider Ryuki
Kamen Rider Kuuga
Kamen Rider Agito
Zyuranger
Tekkouki Mikazuchi
>>
>>15548166
>Kamen Riders Shin, ZO, and J?
Despite being produced in the Heisei era, I think those are officially considered showa because the old guard made them.
>>
Wasn't there some ps1 games that were like simtower but an evil organization lair?
>>
>>15550255

You mean the AZITO series of games?
>>
>>15549421
Yeah officialy their considered honorary Showa because of Shotaro Ishimori being directly involved with them. I just listed them since they were made in the 90's and >>15548081 apparently doesn't think there was any toku shows during that decade they could of used for some reason.
>>
>>15550477
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Ca3eUt2fE
yeah looks like it
>>
>>15550568
>>15550255
>>15550477
Damn, I never knew about this series. I downloaded the first game and having tons of fun with it.
>>
>>15550823
I heard about it looking at old Japanese tv CMs, and then this one with the Shocker goons came up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXemZPO60fA
>>
>>15550823

where did you dl it?
>>
>>15551027
emuparadise.me
>>
>>15548328
Are the Super Hero Sakusen games any better?
>>
>>15551659
They're traditional turn-based RPGs.
To tell you the truth, the sprites are kind of wonky - they look like they were prerendered out of 3D models. An apt comparison are those Earthbound clay models. They look sorta like that.

The first game has Ingram/Viletta as main character, and a bunch of originals appear (Bullet, Kusuha and Euzeth). The second game (Diedal's Ambition) has the same basic system, but from what I've seen, there are no Banpresto originals. The main character is Ultraman Gaia.
>>
Anyone play Gasaraki game for PS1? All I remember is that the game file size is small, like below 100MB. Not really sure if that's really the full game, as I only play it for a brief moment in the emulator.
When I look around for any info, all I found was a video of Let's Play by some Japanese. I don't really get what they're saying but it sounded like they're mocking the game. I guess it's considered as a kusoge or at least an obscure and forgotten one even in Japan.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.