[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Mazinkaiser SKL be considered a cult classic of the 2010s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

Can Mazinkaiser SKL be considered a cult classic of the 2010s the same way MD Geist and Violence Jack were for the 80s?

I remember some anons on /m/ losing their shit that a "forgettable" series like SKL had subs before the Gundam 00 movie.

Yet for this supposedly forgettable mindless action series, it's pretty unforgettable, due to its outrageous to down right retarded character, mecha designs and even story.
>>
File: 1e5e73いい加減にしろ.jpg (58KB, 806x689px) Image search: [Google]
1e5e73いい加減にしろ.jpg
58KB, 806x689px
いくらマジンガーがカッコよくても敵がしょぼかったりするとなんだか寂しい気分になる事を教えてくれたアニメ、敵キャラも大切
>>
It took me longer than I am willing to admit to realize that the SKL stands for skull.
>>
File: 1490050554836.png (33KB, 566x557px) Image search: [Google]
1490050554836.png
33KB, 566x557px
>>15531466
Oh my god you're right
>>
>>15531466
And Majinkaiza means the Demon God Emperor
>>
The last fight with Kiba is one of my favorite /m/ fights.
>>
>>15531434

The Devilman references were really interesting to me. A more developed SKL story might have explored that a bit more. Wingel being Silene to Kaiser's Devilman was pretty cool, and Inferno Blaster imprinting a flaming Devilman head was sweet too. A longer plot might detract from the Metal Album Cover insanity though, so maybe better just leave them as easter eggs for the audience.
>>
>>15531905
The manga continues where the ova left off.
>>
>>15531434
Nah
The plot was the same as every other DP work
Characters were just rehashes of Getter characters
Mecha designs were silly, but again, we'd seen similar stuff with Getter Arc and even the original Mazinkaiser was a little edgier looking than it needed to be (really don't like the bat wings breast plates in particular)
Nobuyuki Hiyama being the villain was fun

It'd be nice if I could read the manga in English so I could speak about the OVA in a broader context
>>
>>15532428
>The plot was the same as every other DP work
What Dynamic Pro plot is the same as SKL? It blatantly mashed together elements from all Mazinger entries and Devilman but it didn't copy the plot.

>Characters were just rehashes of Getter characters
None of the characters resemble anyone from Getter, they are all specifically inspired by Nagai characters and are even named as such.

>Mecha designs were silly, but again, we'd seen similar stuff with Getter Arc
How is Arc silly looking? What does Arc even have to do with this?

>and even the original Mazinkaiser was a little edgier looking than it needed to be (really don't like the bat wings breast plates in particular)
The whole point of SKL is to be over the top and kinda dumb, the OVA at least. It's very unadulterated, unapologeticly, and intentionally edgy/cool/metal. The OVA feels like a heavy/power metal music video.
>>
>>15532428
>The plot was the same as every other DP work
Nah
>>
>>15532449
>What Dynamic Pro plot is the same as SKL?
Any of the robot entries. They're all "team of people with super robot fight generic evil empire". Although I guess SKL was new and interesting because it shook things up by having TWO evil empires.

>None of the characters resemble anyone from Getter
The leads almost seemed like carbon copies of Ryoma and Hayato to me. I guess that just goes to show how utterly samey DP characters can get if there are other Nagai characters these guys resemble. I don't look into the non-robot stuff much

>How is Arc silly looking?
In the same way SKL is. Literal bat wing ears, beast like maw, more edges and spikes along the arms, pointier wings. They were going for the same over the top, edgy feeling, I think.

>The whole point of SKL is to be over the top and kinda dumb, the OVA at least.
I'm well aware, and I don't think this is a bad thing. Hell, I actually like SKL more than any non-Shin Mazinger work because it manages to condense all of DP's most notable qualities into an enjoyable three episodes. I'm just pointing out that it's nothing we haven't seen before.
>>
I just remember the retarded robot groping and SKL's cape looking rad as fuck.
>>
>>15532557
>Any of the robot entries. They're all "team of people with super robot fight generic evil empire". Although I guess SKL was new and interesting because it shook things up by having TWO evil empires.
Were you watching SKL? The point is there are three warring factions on an isolated prison colony rich in resources and are feuding to gain control of the entire island. In their fighting they have pushed the generator for the prison into overdrive and risk destroying the earth, so the military and some PMCs come in to kill off the two violent factions and shut down their facilities.

>The leads almost seemed like carbon copies of Ryoma and Hayato to me.
They are almost nothing alike other than one is a hothead and ones aloof. Ken is Kabuto Kouji + Akira Fudo while Ryo is based on Duke Fleed + Ryo Asuka.

>I guess that just goes to show how utterly samey DP characters can get if there are other Nagai characters these guys resemble
Nagai didn't make either character you dunce.

>In the same way SKL is
Arc is made to look similar to Devilman because Arc is implied to be the final step before Getter ascended to godhood and emperor brought humanity into space. Being a devil is also a consistent thing in Getter designs since Getter 1 has Oni horns.
>>
I thought they were Ryo and Akira again
>>
>>15532729
They even share the seiyuus
>>
>>15532702
>The point is
that everything you just stated does not make it different from standard DP fare. Neither the heroes nor the villains have any depth and the plot is no more complex than one side simply trying to overpower the other.

>They are almost nothing alike other than their only personality traits and the fact that they both pilot unique giant robots for some private endeavor to save the world

I never said Nagai made either character

>Devilman shit
I know very little about Devilman, but from what I've gathered, the intent of it was quite similar to the intent of SKL, but perhaps to an even greater degree. I've seen many examples of 70s Nagai being ridiculously over the top and edgy posted on this board
>>
>>15531434
From what I could assume, SKL looked like a prequel to something that would be an actual TV series but never happened.
>>
>>15531434

I watched SKL a year or two ago and was actually really pleasantly surprised. Music was great, had some good fight choreography and I do agree with >>15532801 that it felt like a teaser of something much bigger and more ambitious.

Maybe the manga ties into that, I don't know.

But I enjoyed how Ken and Ryo weren't absolute psychopaths contrary to their appearances, I enjoyed LEGEND OF KAISER to hell and back and have it on my mp3 player, enjoyed the fuck out of SKL's appearances in UX and BX, and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more of it made in the future.
>>
It's kind of fun. It's like a long heavy metal music video with mecha. Beyond that though it's not really very memorable.
>>
>>15531434
>Can Mazinkaiser SKL be considered a cult classic of the 2010s the same way MD Geist and Violence Jack were for the 80s?
Nope because nobody gives a shit about it.

>I remember some anons on /m/ losing their shit that a "forgettable" series like SKL had subs before the Gundam 00 movie.
They weren't even released at the same time you fucking idiot.

>Yet for this supposedly forgettable mindless action series, it's pretty unforgettable, due to its outrageous to down right retarded character, mecha designs and even story.
I never see SKL in 3x3 thread or best of the best lists when talking about goodmecha anime of the 2010. So yeah its pretty forgettable.
>>
>>15533030
3x3 threads are for retards
>>
>>15532878
The manga covers both before and after the ova.
>>
You know what was unique to Mazinkaizer?
At the very beginning of the episode, there was some shitty 80s action movie dialogue. Then, following that, there was nonstop action interspersed by drama - in every episode - that last until the end, whrn some plot stuff happened. Genuinely amazing. You simply do not get that level of excitement in anything.
>>
I've personally felt that SKL is like this Generation's M.D. Geist as in it's basically a love letter to all things that was bad ass in the 80s
we got your mad max rejects,metal, blood n gore,etc. in that regard, it's pretty fantastic.

I also appreciate the nods to other go nagai works. Devilman and violence jack are the most obvious, but there's also Aila mu from God mazinger and Iron kaiser making an appearance from shuten doji was really cool.
>>
>>15538522
Aila and iron kaiser also appear in violence jack if I'm not mistaken. Kiba is based on Zuba the barbarian, Himiko on the slum queen.
>>
>>15531434
I like it more than Shin Mazinger, but less than Mazinkaiser.
The soundtrack was dank, so were the mech designs.
>>
>>15531434

Dunno OP, was pretty bored by this one.
>>
>>15531434
>six years old
>cult classic
yeah, like, nah.
>>15532755
>>15532557
>Any of the robot entries. They're all "team of people with super robot fight generic evil empire".
>Neither the heroes nor the villains have any depth and the plot is no more complex than one side simply trying to overpower the other.
So? Don't overanalyze 3 OVA of mindless power metal fun. This ain't Giant Robo or Turn A.
>>
>>15538894
It was more entertaining than turn a that's for sure. That gundam series was boring as fuck.
>>
>>15531434
>Can Mazinkaiser SKL be considered a cult classic
No.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.