[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Something has always bothered me about the rx-78 cockpit. Because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 14

File: pg1-60-rx-78-2-coreblock.jpg (40KB, 400x207px) Image search: [Google]
pg1-60-rx-78-2-coreblock.jpg
40KB, 400x207px
Something has always bothered me about the rx-78 cockpit. Because of the mechanism the core fighter uses to transform into the core block, the cockpit should be aligned downward to the Gundam feet, meaning the seat would be pointing down and would be extremely odd to use under gravity.

Was this ever explained anywhere? All Gundam with coreblock seem to suffer from this.

Not only that, but in later models like the ZZ, the mobile suit has a panoramic monitor but again uses a fighter cockpit coreblock. How does that work?
>>
File: img_0.jpg (46KB, 300x442px) Image search: [Google]
img_0.jpg
46KB, 300x442px
>>
>>15521032
It somehow flips
>>
File: 101.jpg (2MB, 2217x3017px) Image search: [Google]
101.jpg
2MB, 2217x3017px
The whole cockpit shifts. Here's how Zeta's works.
>>
File: 052.jpg (1MB, 2464x3360px)
052.jpg
1MB, 2464x3360px
Wouldn't be hard to have the seat rotate/recline 90 degrees. Here's an internal cutaway view.

ZZ's cockpits are silly, though.
>>
>>15521032
>Because of the mechanism the core fighter uses to transform into the core block, the cockpit should be aligned downward to the Gundam feet,

But it's not. It never is when we see them open the cockpits.
>>
File: docu0104.jpg (1006KB, 2144x3040px)
docu0104.jpg
1006KB, 2144x3040px
If OP thinks the Gundam's cockpit bothers him, imagine how convoluted the original Zaku cockpit is.

The cockpit seat travels along a u shaped track just to bring the pilot from the door on the left side of the chest to the cockpit controls on the right side of the chest.
>>
>>15521055
I know that. That is where the confusion comes from.
>>15521039
>>15521041
>>15521042
Makes enough sense I guess, obviously later on it gets a little wonky with ZZ and panoramic monitors.
>>
>>15521073
This has always made sense/been a fantastic idea to me. It allows for in space changing of pilots via shuttles.
>>
>>15521082
You can do that with any airlock that can perform an airtight seal around the cockpit door.

Even though the V1 Gundam's cockpit extends outward and opens like an aircraft canopy, the Zanscare MS carrier can still interface with it.
>>
>>15521093
Yes, but the zaku's system allows the cockpit to remain pressurized while someone enters in from outer space without docking tube. I dunno, it's just neat.
>>
File: (GEZE).jpg (889KB, 1746x2171px)
(GEZE).jpg
889KB, 1746x2171px
Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?
>>
>>15521101
I don't think there's an inner door that keeps the cockpit control area pressurized, is there?
>>
>>15521171
Not on all models, but on a few.

The ones in thunderbolt do, there are some in 0079 as well, but I can't remember which exact types of zaku 2 do.
>>
>>15521073
FAIDO IN, FAIDO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIN
>>
>>15521171
If it's not now you can be sure it'll be retroactively added in. Banrise has become more serious about scientific accuracy funnily enough. They sent astronomers or something to help Fukui get the details of space travel right for the Unicorn novels, like the Nahal Argama's approach on Palau
>>
Should have had kawamori consult them
>>
mg 2.0 has it flip up
>>
>>15521295
Why, so they can have attach the legs to moving strips of aluminum foil?
>>
File: image.jpg (596KB, 713x1000px)
image.jpg
596KB, 713x1000px
>>15521032
The way the core fighter is designed on the RX-78 is pretty dumb, it'd be much more practical if the cockpit was protruding off the front in a shape similar to pic related's chest, the pilot seat could be oriented normally under gravity and reclined back in space so the pilot isn't knocked out by all his blood rushing to his feet when he accelerates.

If you really want the classic Gundam look, just have the cockpit only protrude a bit past the air intakes or slide backwards.

The forward part of the core fighter would fill up most of the upper chest, and the backpack could fold up to become the back half of the jet, and the whole thing would just slide out of the back without the Gundam needing to split into two halves, also wings fold out at some point.

This layout also makes the chest vent positions much more logical, something about them being for the core fighter's air intakes.

The GP-01 does the backpack bit, but I think it still has the cockpit pointing down.
>>
File: V1 transformation.jpg (663KB, 1200x1200px)
V1 transformation.jpg
663KB, 1200x1200px
>>15521326
Sounds like the Victory Gundam is what you prefer.
>>
>>15521313
So their transforming Gundams actually transform as opposed to lying on their belly
>>
>>15521335
Not quite, the idea I have would just be a jet/space fighter popping out of a mobile suit and leaving it otherwise in one piece, rather than taking half of the heavy chest armor and the entire head with it, instead of a big complex docking system it'd just shoot out like an escape pod.

Guess that might not sell as many model kits though...
>>
>>15521326
While I'm glad Armored Core gets a mention in this thread, it bugs me that the Aaliyah has weird proportions in this drawing
>>
>>15521503
Kind of like the G-Self?
>>
>>15521503
There's a bunch of machines that work like that. They're as silly as a Gouf that uses a tiny Dopp for its cockpit and backpack, and then there's stuff like the Innovade suits from 00 that eject the cockpit and the main engine together from the rear back.
>>
>>15521529
Or the Crossbones, or Shining and God Gundam
>>
File: m111_79.jpg (63KB, 550x545px)
m111_79.jpg
63KB, 550x545px
>>15521326
>The way the core fighter is designed on the RX-78 is pretty dumb
It's not because just as mentioned in few posts above you it simply rotates, with mechanism simple enough that a 1/100 model kit can replicate.
>>
>>15521032
The core fighter was always the stupidest, most superfluous, nonsensical part of Gundam.
>>
>>15521581
But it flies at mach 4.
>>
>>15521581
It was a late '70s robot show.
Shit had to henshin and gattai. Those were the rules.
>>
>>15521581
the G-Fighter and all of its combining faggotry was worse
>>
2.0 and 3.0 MGs (not sure about pg, but probably) let you rotate the seat/cockpit within the core fighter when transforming it to the core block.
>>
>>15521101
check out the first episode of kidou senshi thunderbolt the zeon ships dock with zaku's with and dayrll's has a inner door>>15521171
>>
>>15521581
Going to need some facts to back that up. Aside from your shit taste, that is.
>>
>>15521579
Yeah, I know it can rotate, but it can't rotate enough, that'd only be useful under gravity, in space the acceleration would knock the pilot out, the front of their body should be facing the direction they're moving, there's a good reason high speed aircraft have the front of the pilot's body facing the direction they're going, it means that as they accelerate their bloodflow isn't messed up as much, just turning too quickly in an aircraft can send the pilot's blood rushing down to their feet, resulting in temporary loss of vision and possibly consciousness, or up to their head, also causing loss of vision, and possibly brain hemorrhages.

On top of that issue, the entire core-block system is way too convoluted, in my previous posts I've explained a more practical system.

My statement is true, most core fighters are dumb and nonsensical designs, and that's fine, they're from a 70s Chinese robot cartoon filled with all sorts of endearingly derpy mecha.
>>
>>15521528
It's a draft design for Aaliyah.
>>
This thread reeks of Snapfag.
>>
>>15521971
Nobody cares. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and kill yourself.
>>
>>15521073
This design allows the actual pilot seat to be put either on the left or right sides. Statistically speaking, if enemy is sniping your pilots, they have 50% chance to be wrong.
>>
>>15521073
Oh so that's how it is, i never understood if that scene on the first episode of Thunderbolt was just a redesign quirk
>>
>>15521971
Relative to their body orientation, mobile suits don't accelerate "up" in space, they accelerate "forward" as main thrust comes from the backpack.

>>15522622
The cockpit controls are only on the right side of the chest. If the Zaku is going to be hit in that area by something that can go through the frontal chest armor, then the pilot is probably fucked anyway.
>>
>>15521032
The gundam never transformed in the movies
>>
>>15522871
We're obviously not talking about the movies, are we?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px)
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>15522835
>Relative to their body orientation, mobile suits don't accelerate "up" in space, they accelerate "forward" as main thrust comes from the backpack.

So basically you've never watched a single Gundam series in your life and you don't know how they're always animated moving in the show?

Green line is the direction the zaku is moving, look at any fucking shot of a mobile suit accelerating with it's thrusters rather than flailing around for AMBAC after cutting them, they mostly move in the direction of their head, having the pilot face that direction doesn't work with the traditional downward pointing core fighter seat, not to mention that with the way foot pedals and control panels are layed out in a traditional core fighter, it doesn't matter how far the seat rotates, the entire cockpit needs to rotate for the pilot to actually reach anything.

With the core fighter's cockpit positioned horizontally in the chest, facing the front, the pilot seat doesn't have to rotate back that much to be facing a good direction to deal with acceleration in space, and the pilot can still reach the goddamn controls, especially if the design is already built unusually leaned back under gravity where acceleration isn't likely to be as much of an issue, on top of that it makes the entire docking sequence much quicker, easier, less complex, and more reliable.

>>15522500
>OP makes a thread about core fighter designs being kinda retarded
>Goondamn fanboys who don't know what they're talking about start trying to make up bullshit excuses for a poorly thought out 70s cartoon space plane
>I come and explain why they're stupid designs and propose some very simple changes to make the design actually functional
>The thread can't accept facts and just responds by making demonstrably false claims and saying "Nobody cares, k-kill yourself!" when OP clearly gave enough of a shit to make a thread questioning the logic of core fighters
>>
>>15521032
same thing happens in macross VFs
>>
>>15521528
yes the back is abit too big, those are just concept sketches though.
>>
>>15524251
Gundamfags are the Jojofags of mecha, more news at 11.
>>
>>15525222
kys
>>
>>15521326
>>15521579
>>15521971
>>15524251
The prone position for a pilot is superior, even under standard earth gravity.
Where the blood flows towards the feet in a standard front facing seating position, in a prone position the blood flows evenly across the body.
Go do some research before spouting nonsensical shit.
>>
>>15526760
>The prone position for a pilot is superior

>Reduced visibility
>Extreme, distracting discomfort
>Difficulty breathing
>More difficult to get into the cockpit and strap in
>Can't eject from a prone position
>The G-tolerance advantage is mostly for turning, not accelerating forward
>The advantage was so insignificant that the idea has been scrapped since the Cold War in favor of anti-G suits

>Superior

Go do some research before spouting nonsensical shit.
>>
>>15527170
>Reduced visibility
>Extreme, distracting discomfort
>Difficulty breathing
>More difficult to get into the cockpit and strap in
>Can't eject from a prone position
We're not talking about planes here, none of this applies to the zaku drawing posted above.
>The G-tolerance advantage is mostly for turning, not accelerating forward
[Citation needed]
At most the zaku can accelerate 2 G which isn't much and it's not going to be for more than a few seconds.
To give you an idea humans are exposed everyday to 1 G, now that doesn't mean all the blood in our brains should go to our legs, or does it?
>The advantage was so insignificant that the idea has been scrapped since the Cold War in favor of anti-G suits
This one can be argued as the zaku pilot already wearing some sort of space suit. But even then, this defeats your own argument.
>Go do some research before spouting nonsensical shit.
Now i apologize for the harsh words.
nice reddit spacing
>>
>>15527170
>>The G-tolerance advantage is mostly for turning, not accelerating forward
Which is where pilots the most significant effects of acceleration because they turn upwards relative to their orientation...

All of those issues can be solved today relatively easily with modern furnishings. The only real flaw, and a pretty fatal one, is limited side to side and upward vision. And that could be solvable too. But it'd be pretty pointless, since we're in an age where the advantage is unnecessary.
>>
>>15523671
The movies are canon
>>
>>15527403
>canon
This isn't a thing
>>
>>15527403
So what's the ZZ's, V's or GP01's core block system based on you dumb fuck??
>>
>>15521082
They showed the pilot change via shuttles in Thunderbolt.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.