[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most damage you could expect if you did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1269904816781.jpg (665KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1269904816781.jpg
665KB, 1000x1000px
What's the most damage you could expect if you did a deorbit of the ISS?
>>
>>15517933

Isn't it designed to burn up in a de-orbit eventually?
>>
>>15517942
That's the plan, but it would be sent down at an angle so that as much of the thing as possible burns up. If you used a less sharp angle, could you expect more of the mass to make it planetside?
>>
>>15517933
Not much, maybe some parts falling on houses or stuff. Anything that survives would hit terminal velocity and just be like a chuck of metal falling off a building.
>>
>>15517961

Probably, but it's not that huge regardless (it measures about a football field in length or something I think), it doesn't have much mass or density (relatively, obviously) and it wouldn't have much in the way of velocity (again, relatively) so I wouldn't expect much. It might cause some problems for a few towns dependent on where it landed if it hit land or cause a tidal wave if it hit ocean, but I wouldn't expect any major catastrophes.
>>
>>15517933
Maybe you could extrapolate from what Skylab did?

In similar musings I'd like to see a rendering of what the night sky looks like in the UC. Since you can spot the ISS with the naked eye pretty easily wouldn't that mean the umpteen bunches of colonies would be very noticeable?
>>
>>15518005

The ISS is pretty close to Earth. It's not even really outside the atmosphere, only 400km up. Space colonies are a good bit bigger, but they're also a lot further out at about 1.5 million kms out, so I really doubt they'd be visible with the naked eye.
>>
>>15517933
The ISS masses roughly 419 metric tons. Its orbital velocity is 7.67 kilometers per second. Its height above the earth is 409.5 kilometers. This means its combined kinetic and gravitational potential energy (from KE=.5mv^2 and PE=mgh) is 1.4E13 joules. That's about three and a half kilotons of TNT. A big boom, but there are larger conventional bombs.
>>
>>15518398
>That's about three and a half kilotons of TNT. A big boom, but there are larger conventional bombs.
And that's also assuming that the station doesn't break up during reentry, which to a large degree it will.
>>
>>15517933
>implying the ISS actually exists
>implying space isn't a propaganda government cover-up for all the terrorist fairies that live above the clouds
>>
File: SIEG ZEON.jpg (50KB, 270x379px) Image search: [Google]
SIEG ZEON.jpg
50KB, 270x379px
>>15517933
Hopefully a lot.
>>
>>15517980
Not even. It would disintegrate upon impact with the ocean, displacing not nearly enough water to cause a surge.
>>
>>15522947
it'd disintegrate far before it ever got near the ocean.
>>
>>15517933
Very little. Maybe someone whacked with a little bit of micrometeorite.
>>
>>15521378
>dropping it on mudslimes instead of australia
fake zeek spotted
>>
>>15523159
The feds currently don't have an HQ there. You'd actually give them a head start by clearing out the wildlife.
>>
>>15523309
A real zeek misses the target they're aiming for and hits something totally unrelated. After all Zeon aimed for Brazil and hit Australia instead.
>>
>>15522955
Of course, I was merely posing a hypothetical scenario where it reached the ocean intact.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.