[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So just why is it that Gurren Lagann and Eva fans never watch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: f6bde64d1137348796db9f5c08ba0c5f.jpg (257KB, 850x1168px) Image search: [Google]
f6bde64d1137348796db9f5c08ba0c5f.jpg
257KB, 850x1168px
So just why is it that Gurren Lagann and Eva fans never watch any other robot shows aside from those two? Why is it that after watching one or both of those shows, they never touch mecha again but loudly proclaim themselves mecha fans?
>>
And Gunbuster
>>
>>15505445
I loved both but watch tons of other mecha
>>
>>15505445

Because why bother with the rest when you've already seen the best?
>>
>>15505525
>the best
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>15505531
He's right that that is the mindset though, the average /a/ shitter's meme spouting convinces them that these are THE two mecha anime to watch, and the rest are unimportant. Of course we can see how ironic that is, since these two shows run entirely off being a reference and commentary to all the dozens of shows that came before them, but it's not like they'd know that.
>>
You forgot Code Geass, and maybe Big O
>>
File: 1448666514397.gif (2MB, 1124x632px) Image search: [Google]
1448666514397.gif
2MB, 1124x632px
>>15505445
TTGL got me into the genre
I'd seen Evangelion years before but never saw it as much of a "mecha" show.

Since then I've gone through nearly all of gundam, ggg, Getter, most of macross, Mazinger, Casshern ova's, Big O, I'm about half way through VOTOMS and Dougram is next after that.

I'd say Wing was my first introduction to Mecha as a genre, but TTGL was what made me fall in love with the conventions of it.
>>
>>15505894
>never saw it as much of a "mecha" show
Why?
>the conventions
?
>>
>>15505445
Despite the fact that I'm a really big Gurren Lagann fan, it was what got me into mecha in the first place. After finishing the show, I just about immediately found out about Getter Robo, and one thing led to another to the point where just about the only anime I watch nowadays are exclusively mecha, which for the most part I really enjoy. Currently, I think my 10 favorites in no particular order are... Gurren Lagann, Eureka Seven, Getter Robo Armageddon, Shin Mazinger, Gunbuster, Big O, Zeta Gundam, SDF Macross, Godannar, and Star Driver (the last of which I haven't finished but I only have three episodes left).

As for Evangelion... I like it, but I don't think it's as good as everyone says it is. I won't deny its importance for the genre, though. It's ironically the opposite of my stance on Gurren Lagann, which I love, but realize that it brings nothing new to the genre and that other mecha shows deserve more love.
>>
>>15506049
>Gurren Lagann, which I love, but realize that it brings nothing new to the genre
Except the best

>other mecha shows deserve more love
Not really

Also fuck off
>>
I adore both of them and haven't watched a ton of mecha anime since. I grew up on G Gundam and all that other 90's stuff though. I don't think there's nearly as much great mecha anime these days though, other subgenres are kind of dominant.

I think that mindset exists because people don't watch Eva and TTGL because they're mecha anime, they watch it because they're "required reading" to be an anime hipster.
>>
>>15505952
I didn't see NGE as a mecha show at the time i saw it because of the way it handled the EVA's. It was more like they were weird bio-monster plot devices than manufactured war machines in the same vein as gundam which was the only other mecha stuff i'd seen at the time.

as for the conventions of the genre introduced to me in TTGL, things like willpower powered machines, combining robots, absurd romantic melodrama, heroic suicides, and all the visual flourishes like the volcano silhouette bit
>>
Lol why would I watch some old anime made before '00s? They have shit animation and looks so dirty.
>>
>>15506119
Weak trolling.
>>
File: Gainax fans.png (24KB, 802x263px) Image search: [Google]
Gainax fans.png
24KB, 802x263px
>>15505445
Reminder that anyone who unironically thinks this way should get out of 4chan and go back to shitholes like Reddit and ANN
>>
>>15506236

NGE has an amazing English dub though. It's great because all of them were winging it.
>>
>>15505445

Gurren Lagann is very accessible. Eva is only slightly less so (Mostly because it has a rather smooth if steep slope into its "depths").

There's few popular shows to continue the path into full /m/an mode; You have to convince people to try more obscure and polarizing shows.
>>
>but loudly proclaim themselves mecha fans

Who the fuck does that? I've seen lots of people who have only seen TTGL, NGE and maybe Code Geass and say that mecha isn't for them, but I've never seen anyone say that they are huge mecha fans for only watching those.
>>
>>15505445

They're busy deconstructing or homaging super robot genre like you OP is busy deconstructing this board
>>
I see a lot of Gurren Lagann fans reach out in all directions.

But yeah, Eva fans often act like their show is above Mecha, or worse, is above all other anime.
>>
>>15505445
Because they're casualfag bait that have been elevated to godlike status by normalfags whose knowledge begins and ends at whatever shows are well-known or the popular hypebeast garbage of the moment. They just watch it because of the legion of circlejerking know-nothing retards who loudly proclaim how "cool" and "influential" and "deconstructive" they are despite not having any knowledge of the genre or their predecessors. These are the same people who turn their nose up at any show that isn't on MAL's top 100, isn't praised by shitty youtube e-celebs, or is even slightly obscure.

I'm only being slightly facetious with this statement.
>>
File: GusionHammer.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
GusionHammer.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>15506221
>Weak trolling

Are you fucking kidding me? Pre-00s anime WILL ALWAYS BE GARBAGE!

Just compare this to the original Gundam(ew!).
>>
>>15505445
Eva really isn't mecha, even calling it super robot is a stretch. I don't think anyone who's watched it and nothing else would unironically claim to be an expert on mecha anime, and I'd argue that you're making a nonsensical strawman so you can mentally wank yourself off on being "to intelligent for popular thing".
>>
>>15506057
He's right though.
>>
>>15506515
Why is it not mecha?
>>
>>15506490
Weaker trolling
>>
>>15505445

Why is it that Gundam fans cant see a dog without trying to make the newtype flash sound with their mouth?

Why is it thst Getter fans think that tge universe exists exclusively between the years 1971 and 2000, looping over and over?
>>
>>15506377
I can think of a very specific youtuber who made a fucking mecha week where he steadily revealed he didn't know shit outside of like eva, TTGL, IBO, and the 90s dubbed Gundam. Dunno if he's become more cultured since then, he was always a hipster and I also haven't watched any content from the channel he's associated with for over a year now.
>>
>>15507055
>Why is it thst Getter fans think that tge universe exists exclusively between the years 1971 and 2000, looping over and over?
What?

>>15507064
Who?
>>
>>15507787
Woolie from Two Best Friends Play
>>
File: mechaweek.png (47KB, 558x386px) Image search: [Google]
mechaweek.png
47KB, 558x386px
>>15507064
>>15507820
IBO wasn't even announced when Mecha Week was going on. And back then Woolie's gundam knowledge was that Cosmic Era sucks, Wing was cool but not as good as he remembered as a kid and that the Heavygun is his favorite MS.

Also I don't think anyone has watched SBFP in ages, especially after Liam left
>>
>>15507820
>takes one look at the playlist and what they played
>N64 Evangelion game
Why? Why would anyone even touch that monstrosity of a game? Evangelion Mahjong for the Gameboy would have been a better choice than that trash.
>>
>>15507843
I remember when it was still the new hotness, a buddy put it on his n64 Doctor Whatever they called it back then, he brought Eva 64 and we were like "HOLY SHIT THIS IS SO COOL AND- wow this plays for shit am I even controlling this shit?"
>>
>>15507836
>G-self comes out in breaker 3 video
>I don't know I think thats from AGE
Woolie is not a mecha fan
>>
>>15507055
What point are you trying to make with any of this? I am legitimately curious.
>>
>>15507787

Oh, sorry. I just assumed this was a thread for posting unsubstantiated bullshit.
>>
>>15507836
Woolie is a retard but he's the kind that you can teach. He talks big but he doesn't always double down on the retard if you show him he's wrong.
>>
>>15506049
> I won't deny its importance for the genre, though
NGE doesn't really bring anything new to the table either other than Hideaki Anno's depression-induced meandering. The rest of it is just a dour Mazinger Z.
>>
>>15505445
I'll take that over Code Geass fans citing the show's one flaw as the stupid robot shit
>>
>>15509747
Ha
>>
>>15505445
I like Eva and I watch tonnes of other mecha
>>
I like gurren lagann
I also like VOTOMS very much
No one watches gurren lagann because it's a mech show. Outlaw Star > Gurren Lagann btw
>>
>>15506255
I agree with you for most dub voices, but I prefer Raoji's EoE actor, and Fuyutsuki's Rebuild voice. Also, I found Maya's original voice to sound really unprofessional, like it was given by some random chick off the street. Other than those, I really like the dub.
>>
>>15512557
>Raoji
Fuck, meant Kaji
>>
>>15506119
>>>/a/
You`re not old enough for good anime,yet stay in your containment board.
>>
File: concern.png (312KB, 389x386px) Image search: [Google]
concern.png
312KB, 389x386px
>>15512623
>responding to a 48 hour old jokepost
>>
File: 1438638764191.jpg (128KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
1438638764191.jpg
128KB, 400x534px
>>15505445
It comes down to the type of demographic that they appeal to. Gainax fans, ironically, do not tend to be mecha fans. They will watch a Gainax mecha anime, but that's it. Gainax fans are art hipsters. They're normies who think they have really sophisticated taste in anime. Therefore, Gainax makes the best mecha. It's not like that old mecha shit. It's Gainax. It's deep.

I remember Gurren Lagann when it aired. The hype for the show was through the roof before it even aired. This is because Gainax anime, like Kyoani or Ghibli, have media power. They are well regarded in the mainstream and anything they do is going to garner a bare minimum of viewers.
>>
TTGL was the first anime I seriously watched, as it was reccommended to me by my roommate my freshmen year of university
I loved it but its far from my favorite /m/ show and I didn't find much re-watchability in it aside from the movies
I'd call it a must-watch, I suppose
Eva on the other hand I regard with the same disdain as the average Gundam fan does SEED; it had some neat ideas and background but the director made it a point to never expand on those themes because he thought teenage drama was more important
Misato is top tier cake and Asuka is one of the most annoying characters I've seen in anime
the only reason I was even introduced to Eva was some memeing redditfags proclaiming it as "hard scifi manga" in a google search for recs
>>
>>15512553
>hr says when people do

>>15512557
Well, it was made by ADV
>>
>>15505457
I've never met anyone who only watched Gunbuster as a mecha show. On the contrary, I met many people who watched a decent share of mecha anime and didn't watch Gunbuster yet.
>>
>>15505445
Because they are normies watching whatever is cool and trendy but never gave a fuck about the genre, and most likely they'll either be over anime in their early 20s or they'll mostly keep it reduced to shows with little girls they can fap to. They think that calling themselves mecha fans give them status.
>>
>>15506057
>Except the best

The best at being shit.
>>
File: dlkMfoEOVSysg.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
dlkMfoEOVSysg.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>15507986
He's actually pretty cultured in the ways of shitposting. Years of being wrong has honed his ability to obfuscate fact with stupidity.

Then again that's the whole of the Zaibatsu really, a bunch of Canucks saying stupid shit while gaming on the couch. Informative they aren't.

Except for like a small handful of occasions. Like the recent "shut up about your fan game" PSA, which is totally on point when you get down to it.
>>
>>15506414
That's because a large number of Eva fanboys only like "mature" anime for "mature" people
>>
>>15506119
>>15506490
I know a lady who actually thinks this way. She adores Code Geass, Gundam 00 (says S2 > S1), and IBO. I recommended at various points:
>0080
>Turn A
>Unicorn
>Gurren Lagann
>Rebuild of Evangelion
>Eureka Seven
>Full Metal Panic
and she dismissed every one with "old" and "looks dumb". Fucking normies.

>>15506221
>>15512623
>>15507045
Shit like this makes me confident that /m/'s average IQ is in the single digits.
>>
>>15517094
>Unicorn
>Gurren Lagann
>Rebuilds
>Eureka Seven
>FMP

>old

Is she retarded?
>>
>>15517755
Almost all of those were made over a decade ago (though granted, so was CG and Gundam 00 is nearing that point too)

We see time differently from anime casuals because most of the best stuff was not made post 2010
>>
>>15505445
I've seen both these shows, loved them, also watched tons of other mecha shows

basically you wrong
>>
>>15512623
You will never truly be anonymous as long as you continue using accent marks as apostrophes.
>>
>>15505445
Gundam faggots are annoying as shit too.
>>
>>15505445
Only ever seen the original NGE of the two and it was shit despite the nice mecha designs if you can even really call them mecha.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.