[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people so scared of old animation and sometimes refuse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

File: robotech_crackle-1200x750.jpg (246KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
robotech_crackle-1200x750.jpg
246KB, 1200x750px
Why are people so scared of old animation and sometimes refuse to watch it?

There's been so many times where I've tried showing an old anime to a friend who likes anime but are completely turned off by the art.

To me it's charming, interesting, and historical. It's important.
>>
>>15504916
I honestly don't get it either.
>>
>>15504916
Same reason why most people refuse to watch black and white movies, because they're old.

Also old shows tends to have a lot of janky, awkward animation and stock footage. Fight scenes in particular sometimes show the show's age in the worst way, it can be really off putting to someone used to a certain degree of fluidity in animation, same way it's hard to sell an early 3D videogame to someone used to modern games.
>>
>>15504916
It gets especially confusing because I notice a big overlap of that sentiment and they people who complain about the lack of traditional animation.
>>
>>15504927
I feel like these people are closed minded. Even black and white silent movies are important to watch once in a while. It gives you perspective of where film and animation started, and influenced future animations. Poor animation can be overlooked if there is a good story happening on screen.

19 by the way.
>>
>>15504928
That's just nostalgiafag normies honestly, just the newest brand of "back in my day" bullshit. Traditional animation just so happens to be what they grew up with because they're completely ignorant of the classics.
>>
>>15504939
Well I guess some shit can just seem a bit intimidating at first. Hell, when I was your age I didn't like B&W movies either, and I actually put off watching the original MSG for the longest time, thinking I would find it boring.
>>
>>15504939
It doesn't even have to be about historical importance, I don't see anything unpleasant about watching very old media. If there was some kind of chore involved, like if watching silent movies required you to hand-crank a projector every 5 minutes, I would understand. In an age where it's easier than ever to access entertainment, why wouldn't you want to watch/play/read things before your time?
>>
From my experience with some of these people, usually its cause they stumble upon a meme or joke youtube video that intentionally highlights the QUALITY of old animation. When/if they do finally watch it, they can only think about the silliness they remember.

Imagine someone's introduction to old mecha being a Ginguiser gif or the regularly circulated images of QUALITY in 0079.

Other times its just a style difference that they just aren't interested in and thats whatever.
>>
>>15504916
My feared old animation back then because I considered it a good indicator of shows bloated with shitty filler.
>>
>>15504973
*I feared
Whoops.
>>
>>15504967
Can confirm that my opinion of old anime was rather biased due to QUALITY threads before I actually started watching old shows.

>>15504973
This too, although that in particular is often true.
>>
>>15504959
Agreed. It's not as if, back in the 40's, people were tapping their fingers in theaters and saying to each other "This film is incredibly boring, when are we going to get some real CGI in here? Well, I guess we'd better keep spending our money to keep the industry alive, because in about seventy years we might actually get something worth watching.". Film survived as a medium because the early stuff was, in fact, entertaining.
>>
>>15504916
same reason why you scared of your parents' music.
>>
>>15505105
I listen to older shit than they do.
>>
>>15505112
What's the best swing music?
>>
>>15505178
Swing sucks.
>>
>>15505187
I don't know, sounds alright. What do you suggest otherwise?
>>
>>15505216
Moondog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AdPl5xIAvE
>>
>>15505271
no macross about a crazy old homeless guy who sings in the street
;_;
>>
>>15505303
If you want moondoggies in your robot anime try Eureka Seven.
>>
File: 1483551979742.png (39KB, 370x320px) Image search: [Google]
1483551979742.png
39KB, 370x320px
I watched 0079 for the first time a few months ago and had no issues witht he animation. At first it was a bit jarring but after two or three episodes I didn't even notice it. I watched Macross SDF for the first time about a year ago and I instantly loved it.

I can't imagine older animation putting any one who's comfortable with chinese cartoons off.
>>
>>15504916

Because they either don't have the means to and when they do it's because of a bunch of old fags bitching about how their shit was so much better and frankly no one wants to put up with that shit.
>>
>>15506019
>and frankly no one wants to put up with that shit
Why are you here if you legitimately believe that? Beyond that, you say that as if though every group isn't that way. Nice spacing by the way.
>>
>>15504916
The funny thing is that a lot of shitty 3d animation is as bad as that was.
>>
>>15504916
Well, I don't think it's all just not liking old artwork; it has to do with the writing as well, and I bring this up because the writing of older shows shares something in common with the artwork: older shows are less prone to exaggeration

It may be a product of our oversaturated media atmosphere and completely desensitized attitudes, but when I look at older shows, I often find them a little more difficult to watch simply because I'm used to shows trying to wow me with over the top crazy nonsense, both visually and otherwise. It's like getting a drug hit. But generally speaking, the older the show, the more muted the colors and the more restrained and smaller scale the writing is. And it can be hard to go back to that.
>>
>>15509687
Is this supposed to make sense?
>>
File: C-JdUg1VoAAaGc3.jpg (59KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
C-JdUg1VoAAaGc3.jpg
59KB, 720x720px
how do i get oldfags to watch CGI shows
>>
>>15504916
>Why are people so scared of old animation and sometimes refuse to watch it?

Just like with old video games, it's just a massive shift from everything they know.
Animation ages even less so than vidya graphics but the principle behind it is really the same.

In the end, no matter how young or old, anyone can enjoy an old Disney movie, MGS1, Castlevania or Starship Troopers/Gunbuster, it's just a matter of them giving it a fair chance.
Also, on that note, SDF:Macross has puke-inducing animation. It has atmosphere to fill several shows but the animation work is really abysmal and I'd recommend against using it to get people to watch anything Macross related, you're much more likely to sell them on Frontier even with its 3D Valkyries and all weirdness that comes from 3D CGI mixed with 2D animation.
>>
>>15504916
We live in a culture where you have to have the newest thing. People want the newest phone, new fashions, new car, and people feel if they like someting old they won't be "on trend".
>>
>>15513028
huh that sounds retarded
>>
>>15513032
Its a part of human nature. Some people seek novelty and adventure. They'll value a show feeling fresh or trying something different over the cleverness of a script or the effort put into something. There's also the prejudice created by the huge tech boom: people believe just because things have advanced so far technologically that the same advancements must have taken place artistically, even though art doesn't work like that.
>>
>>15512499
Make them good.
>>
>>15504916
>Why are people so scared of old animation and sometimes refuse to watch it?

Several factors are in play.

1- Old anime series (not limited to mecha by the way) are long. We're talking 50, 60, 70 and into the 90s number of episodes. That is a lot. Those shows were broadcast in Japan over a number of YEARS (at 1 episode per week). Even if try to watch it 1 episode per day it still going to take several months to get through. Bingewatching is not recommended. And no matter what people say, shows with a lot of episodes have a high barrier of entry.

2 - Dated animation. That cannot be helped, it's worse if you watch old shows on VHS and DVD. If the show has recently had an HD telecine then it's better. But it still is nice old dated animation. Some people can't get over it, no matter how good the story may be.

3 - Mecha fans bear some responsability in pushing people away by saying that all mecha old shows are good. This is not true. There is a lot of shit and irrelevant shows that are our guilty pleasures but FEW ARE HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT shows that merit being watched.

4 - You cannot compel someone to watch old shows. Only if they show some interest you can tell them look there are these shows but don't expect modern day type quality. You ain't gonna find it. Nonetheless such and such story is good so try watching it.
>>
>>15504916
Because it doesn't look appealing to them since all they know is modern day stuff. It's like when someone puts a new piece of food on your plate your first instinct is to judge how it tastes based on its appearance.
>>
>>15505271
>Knows who moondog is
>Likes moondog
>Knows who moondog is

Looks like someone doesn't have garbage taste
>>
>>15513465
>And no matter what people say, shows with a lot of episodes have a high barrier of entry
Normies bingewatch TV shows with half a dozen seasons and 1 hour episodes regularly these days. In fact, most of my normieish friends complain that anime series these days are too short.
>>
>>15513815
>Normies bingewatch TV shows with half a dozen seasons and 1 hour episodes regularly these days. In fact, most of my normieish friends complain that anime series these days are too short.

Bingewatching kills the narrative flow of these shows. It's one of the reasons (obviously not the only one) why many people say old shows are bad. Try watching Mazinger Z all in one go. No matter how good or bad it is it is still going to fry your brain and make you hate old style anime. There is nothing wrong in watching one episode per day. It gives you time to process the episodes, think about what you liked and disliked and look forward to the next entry.
Also most of old shows reuse animation like there is no tomorrow. So taking time between episodes reduces the "oh shit the same fucking sequence again for the 63rd time" mantra.
>>
>>15513843
This is why instead of bingewatching one show i'll pick like 4-8 shows and add an episode to my playlist. The MotW formula is not really suitable for bingewatching.
>>
>>15504916
I watch old anime but I dislike the animation, especially when there is a fight scene I've nearly fallen asleep while watching 0079,zeta and ZZ. It's not the animation itself, but the choreography is slow and dull sometimes that there is no impact on me.

The only way old anime keeps my interest is if it has good characters and a good story. But honestly though, I have the same criteria with new anime. Especially since my favourite anime of all time is Ping Pong.
>>
>>15504916
How old are we talking? I was surprised by the animation in 0079 but it certainly wasn't unwatchable
>>
A lot of old animation and animated series' just plain sucks. For every Gundam that looks dopey but is otherwise compelling and interesting there's a hundred He-Man or Transformers where it looks like ass, footage is constantly recycled, and it doesn't even offer anything to console you for your time. Anime is a largely visual medium and in this day in age there's no reason to settle with 'okay'. It's not to say that old animation is invalid or anything, a lot of my favorites are older series' too but finding good ones worth watching is often like finding hay in a needlestack.

Also it's not 'in'. Normies only want to be hip and retro as far as buying old game consoles and things with pixels on them, don't ask them to actually engage or appreciate actual retro things.
>>
>>15504967
This is it

To be brutally honest, the larger online anime community is awful for getting into anime. You're better off looking up a list of mecha shows on wiki and exploring on your own. I started this way and on my first time I thought that 0079 was incredible in animation, sound, setting, everything. The music in particular was so suspenseful and well matched to the action that I've never been more excited for something than 0079, which was my third/ fourth mecha show.
>>
>>15504916
I'm not sure but especially younger family immediately switch off and leave if the animation is any older than mid 90's.
>>
>>15504916

What's weird is that most TV anime from the 80s still looks better than TV anime now. The real difference is the old style artwork is grainier, has less bright colors, more manga styled hatching, and stuff like that. New anime is very glossy and sterile looking in comparison.
It really hurts mecha and horror the most, since metal looks less metallic and more plasticy, and trying to make things look horrific when it is that glossy is really difficult.

>>15514767
>>
>>15504916

the funniest thing about old animation, is that they kenw how to draw Woman, Nowadays is Loli MeMoe STC Constructs found somewhere in japan after 2002
>>
File: tekken training.webm (558KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
tekken training.webm
558KB, 640x640px
>>15504916
I don't think it's the animation so much as the dated storytelling techniques in the medium. I know I struggled with the original MSG at points because the story was almost nonsensical sometimes due to weird pacing and other issues like that. Same goes with some of the fights - the animation is so janky that sometimes you're unsure of what's going on.

It's like with how some older vidya, it's not very fun because no one wants to spend hours trying to figure out how to play and would rather have a tutorial that introduces you to the mechanics instead.
>>
File: 1488835191850.jpg (41KB, 294x306px) Image search: [Google]
1488835191850.jpg
41KB, 294x306px
>>15518079
>he likes tutorials
>>
>>15518079
Tutorials are cancer though. I can't stand games forcing me through some hour long boring tutorial.
>>
>>15518424
That's not an inherent problem with tutorials but a problem with the developer not spending the 10 minutes needed to make a way to skip it.
>>
>Hanna Barbara cartoons like scooby doo are fine
>but anime from as little as 15 years ago 'looks too old'
OK is this just because Western weebs are often mentally ill or is it just plain old double standards?
>>
>>15504927
B&W movies are dope as fuck tho. Especially anything with Brando
>>
>>15504959
>In an age where it's easier than ever to access entertainment, why wouldn't you want to watch/play/read things before your time?
You answered your own question. Because entertainment is easy to access and there's an absolute overflow of said entertainment being made today.
Also because even hipsters that obsess over 60s music secretly believe that their generation is the smartest ever because of the progress meme (history is not a straight line) and capitalism pushes this because there's more profit to be made with new stuff versus old stuff
>>
>>15518277
It entirely depends on the game in question and how patronizing said tutorial is
Fromsoft is a modern example of a. Dev that does tutorials so subtle you won't even notice them sometimes, because it's situations you are put in by level design and gameplay that force you to learn a certain mechanic or whatever. This used to be much more common in the 90s.
Tale Dwarf Fortress or any Grand Strategy Game, those games are the type that absolutely benefit from tutorials. Asscreed? Not so much because it's already intuitive unless you're a kid too young for the ESRB rating (in other words, the not-so-secret real target Audience of many triple A "rated M" games)
>>
>>15504916
For the same reason a lot of people hate new shit
>>
For fuck's sake. It's not because the animation is old, it's because it was made on a budget and a deadline.
>>
>>15518493
Western weebs don't watch Hann Barbara cartoons either.
>>
>>15518572
because they're retarded?
>>
>>15518833
>Western weebs don't watch Hann Barbara cartoons either

But they do watch Tom & Jerry and classical 1940s Donald Duck shorts.
>>
>>15518856
No?
Seriously who are you talking to, boomers and gen xers?
Millenials do not watch old cartoons, period.
>>
>>15518863
Yeah they do, Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry get rerun all the time
>>
File: 1451159271499.png (345KB, 406x380px) Image search: [Google]
1451159271499.png
345KB, 406x380px
>>15518892
>reruns
>TV
Now I REALLY know your out of touch.
Go outside grampa.
>>
Niggers I am only 24 years old and saw all the Hanna Barbara, scoobydoo, looney toons, tom & jerry stuff on TV growing up
Teenagers fuck off you must be 18 years of age to browse this site
Hell, actually come to think of it even my 10 year old niece has seen that stuff
>>
>>15518908
Nigger we all saw that stuff, it's been airing on Cartoon Network as gap filler and nonstop on Boomerang for at least a decade straight now. That doesn't mean anyone seeks it out though, it's just filler for the timeslots where kids are at school.
>>
>>15518863
Millennials you say?
>researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s
The generation you are referring to is Generation Z which people born after the early 2000s
Dumb motherfucker regurgitating stereotypical crap you heard someone else say, I'm sure
>>
>>15504916
Most people are incapable of going outside of their aesthetic comfort zone. You will notice that these people as if animation made in earlier times is bad, when in fact there are many works of objectively superior quality. The real reason is that the person is not used to the aesthetics of the piece's decade and is experiencing a shock reaction of denial.
>>
>>15518926
"Millennial" has lost all fucking meaning. At this point it's just a derogatory word for "people I don't like below the age of 40."
>>
>>15518918
Tom & Jerry is legitimately more entertaining than a good 80% of animation
I can't even explain why, but it is
>>
>>15518936
Yeah it's kinda like how normies look at 80s shows and have to be told "yes, this really is anime" because they think late 90s/early 00 aesthetic = anime
What's funny is well known anime haters like the Invader Zim guy believe the same shit, like anime sprung up out of nowhere with Evangelion
>>
>>15518973
Have you seen Japanese Tom and Jerry where they fully voice the characters?
>>
>>15518079
>Same goes with some of the fights - the animation is so janky that sometimes you're unsure of what's going on.
I disagree completely, one of the strongest points of 0079 is how well directed the fights are. Despite the objectively janky animation they manage to be dynamic and exciting. Compare to some of the newer mecha shows where the budget is there but the fights are boring as fuck.
>>
>>15513850
>>15513843
You're both right but that doesn't change the fact that bingewatching is the norm now. Western TV also went through the same change, old TV shows are absolutely horrible to watch in sequence, but since DVR and the web streaming are so widespread these days TV writers no longer write a show that assumes that it's viewers might have skipped an episode or two. And so it's only natural that people used to watching TV shows written essentially like long movies will probably not like older TV shows, anime or not.
>>
>>15513856
> It's not the animation itself, but the choreography is slow and dull sometimes that there is no impact on me.
Fuck I know what you mean, sometimes transitions between "moves" in a battle are incredibly awkward.
>>
>>15518938
>people I don't like below my age
Fixed that for you, I've seen fucking 18 year olds complain about millenials
>>
>>15519151
It's like that even now, though. It's rare to find a show that doesn't perform some kind of cost-cutting animation cheat. Ironically, most of the ones that don't are old 70s shows. When Mazinger Z threw a punch, you always saw the punch connect. When Daltanious used its sword, you always saw the sword cut straight through its opponent, and so on
>>
>>15518973
It's very well done, thought out animation. The quality is stunning.
>>
>>15518926
to be fair, the only official generation with a definitive start and end in America is the baby boomer generation. All other generations are unofficial categories of cohorts that are mostly used by marketing companies.
>>
>>15522679
This. We should stick the British system of defining by who's king at the time.
>>
>>15522959
Our Queen's ruled for 65 years, that's not a helpful generation calculation
>>
>>15518277
>>15518424
>implying you'd sit down and actually wade through the average NES game's shit
>>
File: latest.jpg (50KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
50KB, 480x360px
>>15518973
>>15519727
Depends on the era of Tom and Jerry. The original stuff had superb animation, but later series were full of cheap stuff.

If you want to get down to it, animation made in the 30s, 40s and 50s American animation is literally some of the best in the world and set the foundation for how to draw animation.

Here's a cartoon still considered bread and butter for animation, showing the revolutionary stretch and squash technique (and some amazing voice work by the legendary Mel Blanc):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR0eBWDVAtw

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW
>>
>>15523414
PIMENTO UNIVERSITY

PIMENTO U.

GOOD OLE' P U.
>>
>>15523008
Yeah, well, she oversaw a lot of rubbish shit as well that shouldn't have happened.
>>
>>15523414
Did not see that fight coming, that was perfect.
>>
>>15519209
18 is literally as young as you can be and still BE a millennial. I hope you told off that kid for his own sake. You can't go into adulthood being that tryhard
>>
>>15523072
I just played Metal Gear 1 and the original Metroid a few weeks ago. We have an entire board dedicated to NES games. You obviously never played any
>>
>>15523414
The 40s Superman cartoon is so smooth it's mesmerizing. Only modern thing that comes close is Akira
>>
>>15524430
Eh, many animated movies look great, not just Akira.
>>
>>15524430
Those 40s Superman cartoons used limited rotoscoping, to great effect.
Here's Superman vs the Mechanical Monsters for those who haven't seen it. Remember, the original Superman couldn't fly. That's something that confuses people about some segments of short.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkElf1KtaBs
>>
>>15524425
I said average motherfucker. Those are the above par games.
>>
File: 1492244823511.png (300KB, 600x476px) Image search: [Google]
1492244823511.png
300KB, 600x476px
there is too much truth in maccross for this day and age .
yahwh is afraid we will read threw the jew lie and see him for the enemy of earth that he is.
rise with me we must kill yahwh to survive.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.