[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, i'm new to Mecha, what is it? What is Gundam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14

File: ButterflyWings_7443.jpg (57KB, 315x244px) Image search: [Google]
ButterflyWings_7443.jpg
57KB, 315x244px
Hey guys, i'm new to Mecha, what is it? What is Gundam?
recommendations?
Where should i start?
>>
File: 1446251008583.jpg (2MB, 3100x2209px) Image search: [Google]
1446251008583.jpg
2MB, 3100x2209px
>>15498122
Gundam is real easy, just start with "Mobile Suit Gundam" and you go in production order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Gundam
>>
File: Gundam Chart.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam Chart.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>15498122
Watch all of UC before any of the AU series.
>>
Thank you dudes
>>
>>15498143
Universal Century(UC) is the main timeline, Gundam->Zeta Gundam->ZZ Gundam-> Char's Counterattack ect

Starting with G Gundam in 1994 there are shows that aren't set in the UC timeline which people call Alternate Universe(AU) generally they are in a self contained timeline. So long as you follow production order you'll understand.
>>
i wish we had a sticky
>>
>>15498161
Me to
>>
>>15498154
Thank you
>>
File: 1464039572674.jpg (27KB, 391x366px) Image search: [Google]
1464039572674.jpg
27KB, 391x366px
>>15498161
I'm 100% onboard with anything that cuts down on the amount of rec thread trojan horse shitposting we get, but

>U.C. 0017+2000
>expecting /m/ods to do something besides temp ban people for reporting spam
>ever
>>
>>15498161
We'd need a better guide than >>15498139 if we ever want that happening.

One that's just factual without the opinion section. The last thing we want is an "official" guide telling people what to think.
>>
>>15498139
Wrong chart, obvious biases are showing
>>
>>15498589
Not really when it is FACTS
>>
Watch the 2000's~ version of tetsujin 28 gou
>>
>>15498244
Delete the stupid pros/cons and instead write the premise/conflict of each show. If someone is truly new to Gundam that would be alot more helpful than some shitty pros/cons.
>>
>>15498139
>Gundam Wing
>character driven plot
>character development
KEK who the fuck wrote this shit?
>>
>>15498139
I'll never understand why "character driven" is supposed to be such a great compliment to a show and "device driven" a bad thing rather than both just being descriptive qualities.
>>
File: fixed.jpg (979KB, 2401x1301px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
979KB, 2401x1301px
>>
>>15498130
>>15498139
do you guys really think Sunrise keeps making Gundam shows expecting you to watch literally every series before the next
>>
>>15501630
No, they just expect you to be familiar with mainline UC up through Char's Counterattack. Those four entries are referenced and alluded to constantly in other works.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam is essential viewing for roughly half the franchise at this point.
>>
>>15502181
Not really. A few missed references won't ruin Unicorn or GBF, for example.
>>
>>15502193
If either of those series were your first you'd be missing basically every reference.
>>
>>15502202
G-Reco was my first series
>>
>>15502213
That works.

The only stuff you'd miss was when Jaburo showed up and few references to Turn A. Most late UC and AUs mostly stand on their own, but knowing the originals will enhance the experience.
>>
>>15498122
Don't start early UC, if anything that's going to turn away most people that aren't ready to slog through hundreds of episodes of really outdated shit. Most people aren't ready to sit through that just to get into a series.
Honestly I'd recommend watching 8th Ms team since it's a great entryway into the series. The animation still holds up and it's a relatively short standalone show that still hearkens back to series staples. Saying 8th MS team is good is a meme now but ignore what the jaded /m/ass might say against it. It's a great entryway into the series.
Unless you're committed to starting from the start. Just don't be surprised if it turns out to be a bit of a chore.
>>
>>15502213
What did you think about it?
>>
>>15503059
I loved the aesthetic and animation, but I really didn't understand what was going on or why everyone seemed to be unaware of what they were doing or talking about. Also, great ED.
>>
>>15502768
08th is a terrible entry into the series because it sets up the expectation of a grunty war drama, when 99% of all other Gundam shows are the exact opposite.
>>
>>15502768
Would you recommend any other show that came after?
>>
>>15504710
>tfw the meme are true

I should have expected it when I saw people on /m/ failling to understand IBO

Anyway, the thing is that they live in a world where they were at peace for severals and viewed wars as that awesome thing with cool robots and shit, cue why everyone act kind of like retard.

The MC joins the pirate first to spy on them, then because his country has become a little too heretical for his taste.

The whole plot is a chaotic escalation caused by the grey haired guy (kumpala ?) but in the end, it turn out he didn't have that much control over it. He did it because he tought it would make humanity great again.

Now, wait for the shitposter to come.
>>
File: Ryoma.png (159KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Ryoma.png
159KB, 320x240px
>>15498161
>>15498190
>>15498244
I'm all for making a simple guide of "WHERE DO I START WITH X". Should I keep it to just Gundam or include other stuff that gets asked the same question like Macross/Getter/Kamen Rider? I was gonna go with 4-5 examples of each series that would make good starting points. Also, should Gundam be separated into UC/AUs?
>>
>>15504728
Any show you pick aside from early UC is going to feel pretty damn different from one another, but I see your point
>>15504735
Gundam 00 has a great first episode that sets up the premise and has a lot of action. If you aren't hooked by the first episode I'd say you can comfortably drop it until later. If you end up liking it keep in mind that it's pretty out there even by AU standards, and the second season is pretty... different from the first. I personally really loved 00's first season, and it has leagues better animation than IBO.
>>
I'm going to get crucified for this post by the /m/indless drones but SEED is literally an entryway show. It's also a remake of the original Gundam so you actually get a good idea of the tropes of the series.
Also there's almost always multiple SEED thread on /m/, which you can't say about most shows that came after it, so you'd at least be able to participate in discussions.
Fuck, even the picture you posted is from SEED. It's by far the most recognizable contemporary Gundam series by a long shot, and regardless of its contested quality it is entertaining (though it takes time to pick up steam)
>>
>>15498122
i'd say 00 if you are looking for AU series. If you want to try UC it's better to go all the way from the beginning. You can try to watch Thunderbolt tho.
>>15505651
I don't think it's a good idea to push someone into one of the most criticized shows from the series but on the other side i'd say IBO is a good start while the opinions on it are kinda bad and it suffers from poor animation quality ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
>>
>>15505720
It's the most criticized on /m/ but probably the most popular among casuls. The biggest reason I'd recommend it though is that it's a good introduction to the series as a whole, at least moreso than any AU shows that came after it.
Not to mention /m/ is usually indifferent to SEED. A lot of newfags confuse the hate towards Destiny as being hate towards SEED, so the line is kind of blurred, but SEED isn't the irredeemable garbage that Destiny was.
Also I'd say right now people hate IBO just as much as Destiny, though that might be because it's relevant.
>>
>>15505739
I actually dislike seed more than i do first part of seed destiny just because i don't like kira but it's been a long long time since i watched it.
I still think 00 is best choice considering that it deals with problems that are related to our current times (terrorists, war in middle east) and opinions on it are pretty much positive (even tho i'm not a fan of the second season and the movie).
>>
>>15505572
>Macross
DYRL -> Plus. That's it.
>>
>>15507187
>Starting with the crappy hack job movie remake

Full retard.
>>
>>15507220
Right, because telling people to watch some 80's anime who have likely not watched anything that old is a much better way to get people interested in Macross. Also, the TV series isn't that good to begin with. Why would I recommend mediocre shows to get people interested in the stuff I like?
>>
>>15498122
I got into gundam by playing federation vs zeon when I was a kid.
>>
File: 1455601740142.jpg (72KB, 236x284px) Image search: [Google]
1455601740142.jpg
72KB, 236x284px
>>15507294

Cool shitpost bro.
>>
File: Gundam Guide.jpg (3MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam Guide.jpg
3MB, 2800x3402px
>>15498122
Here's the good chart, >>15498139 posted the troll chart
>>
>>15505739
>SEED isn't the irredeemable garbage that Destiny was.
Destiny was actually good though, fake fan.
>>15507294
Delta is the best in the franchise, doesn't mean you should start off with it. That's Zero's job since it is second best.
>>
>>15498122
Don't start with the original Gundam. It's dated and Tomino's quirks are something that takes some time to get used to.

Start with 8th MS team, Seed (not Destiny), or even 00 (Only the first season). They work as simple entry points into the franchise.

Whichever of the three you choose, let G Gundam be your second Gundam.

Once you have done that you can try watching the compilation movies or whichever stand alone Gundam you want. Go nuts.
>>
>>15507452
>Only the first season
Second season was much better though, guess you're not a real gundam fan
>>
>>15507457
Season 2 had way too much Ali and fake Lockon. The first one was annoying. The second one is so fucking blatant it makes me hate the season on principle.
>>
>>15501630
>do you guys really think Sunrise keeps making Gundam shows expecting you to watch literally every series before the next
Indeed, this is suppose to be a fun hobby, not a draining chore...
>>15502768
>Don't start early UC, if anything that's going to turn away most people that aren't ready to slog through hundreds of episodes of really outdated shit. Most people aren't ready to sit through that just to get into a series.
>Honestly I'd recommend watching 8th Ms team since it's a great entryway into the series. The animation still holds up and it's a relatively short standalone show that still hearkens back to series staples. Saying 8th MS team is good is a meme now but ignore what the jaded /m/ass might say against it. It's a great entryway into the series.
>Unless you're committed to starting from the start. Just don't be surprised if it turns out to be a bit of a chore.
See, this is good advice!
Stuff like 8th MS Team or War in the Pocket are fairly stand alone entries in the UC timeline, they work well enough without needing to invest two DAYS worth of time just to slog through the first series in the franchise.
>>15504728
>08th is a terrible entry into the series because it sets up the expectation of a grunty war drama, when 99% of all other Gundam shows are the exact opposite.
It's still got the "War is Hell" theme going for it, which is what almost ALL Gundam series want to have.>>15505651
>I'm going to get crucified for this post by the /m/indless drones but SEED is literally an entryway show. It's also a remake of the original Gundam so you actually get a good idea of the tropes of the series.
Actually, even though I'm a Wing-fag, I'm going to agree with you here.

Hell, Kira actually has a better excuse for angsting over needing to get in the damn robot: He is LITERALLY the only one on the ship who can pilot it due to being a genetically-engineered designer super baby!

There really wasn't anything special about Amuro when he started out.
>>
>>15507426
leave
>>
>>15507531
Found the troll
>>
>>15507474
Oh /y/ne harder as you spread fake news.
>>
What a faggy post, even for this place
>>
>>15507527
>There really wasn't anything special about Amuro when he started out.
He was literally the only one with experience in the gundam, so he was forced to sortie in it every time because it was assumed anyone else would die.
>>
File: ...No Zaku.jpg (3MB, 3207x2450px) Image search: [Google]
...No Zaku.jpg
3MB, 3207x2450px
>>15509941
>He was literally the only one with experience in the gundam
Yeah, but White Base eventually had the other teens piloting Mobile Suits, so why is Amuro's slight head start in experience so important?
>>
>>15512187
Bright did briefly consider replacing him, which is why the entire desert deserter arc happened.

And that "slight" headstart is massive considering his first sortie had him take down two Zakus in a melee. Why would you put anyone with less experience in your best MS? Not to mention Amuro's the one who, throughout the series, constantly puts the most work into the Gundam, helping repair it, programming it, running simulations on its performance vs. enemy suits, and his piloting style feeding the learning computer inside. Kai and Hayato aren't nearly as diligent as Amuro is.
>>
>>15512187
Amuro has enough autism to develop into the greatest pilot of all time. The others simply don't.
>>
File: 1473990704809.jpg (133KB, 898x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473990704809.jpg
133KB, 898x900px
>>15512260
>Amuro has enough autism to develop into the greatest pilot of all time. The others simply don't.
True, but it didn't make him any less whiny starting out.
>>
>>15507527
You say it like watching Mobile Suit Gundam is a chore.

First Gundam is great and one of the better entries in the franchise. If you want to offer someone an easy way there is already a compilation movie that condenses the plot into three movies.
>>
Evangelion a deconstruction of the genre. It takes everything cool about mecha and anime and does it perfectly so you don't need to bother with the rest. It's just child's play. Watch the sub tho. And don't watch the rebuilds
>>
File: 1473561114105.jpg (688KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473561114105.jpg
688KB, 1440x1080px
>>15507527
>>
>>15513793
But Tetsujin is better than Eva.
So is Be Invoked.
>>
File: image.png (618KB, 1024x743px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
618KB, 1024x743px
Can I also ask a question? What other Gundams can you guys recommend? Hearing the new Gundam Versus got me hyped for it. Ive finished Gundam, Zeta, Wing, SEED, SEED Destiny, and 00. Ive only seen Unicorn and IBO but didnt finish it because it was still unfinished when I started watching and I forgot all about it.
>>
>>15513793
>It takes everything cool about mecha
like the whiny pathetic numale that people dislike the most

sure thing.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.