[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is IBO season 2 worth checking out if I was pretty lukewarm on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 9

File: gundam_ibo_stream.jpg (258KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gundam_ibo_stream.jpg
258KB, 1280x720px
Is IBO season 2 worth checking out if I was pretty lukewarm on the first one? The beginning and end were pretty strong, but the majority of that show felt kinda slow and meandering to me, even compared to other Gundam series. Maybe I'm just not as attached to the cast
>>
>>15495361
S2 has a faster pace and shit finally hits the fan. It's worth watching.
>>
its much better than s1 (not saying much), but then the ending happens and you're like "well that was a waste of time"

if anything watch it for vidar vs macky
>>
>>15495448
The ending was the best part of IBO though.
>>
It starts off in a way that has you thinking that it could be going somewhere good, but the ending is rancid shit and any plot potential ultimtely gets totally squandered. If you like the mechanical designs and enjoy jerking off to mindless mech action then there's at least that but otherwise I really don't recommend it at all.
>>
>>15495514
Why so mad? The conclusion is the only natural progression that was possible. Are you shitting on a show because it's too real?
>>
>>15495517
>>15495505
Why is it so easy to detect shitposter nowadays?
>>
>>15495361
It's about as bad as S1, so if you didn't like it already then odds are you still won't. Don't watch it unless you're a completionist.
>>
>>15495361
>>15495369
>S2 has a faster pace and shit finally hits the fan. It's worth watching.
This.

>>15495448
>>15495548
...Did you not realize you were watching a classic Mobster Tragedy?
>>
>>15495564
>you were watching a classic Mobster Tragedy?
No because I was watching a shitty mecha anime instead.
>>
File: 14758565280380.jpg (65KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
14758565280380.jpg
65KB, 1200x675px
>>15495564
>a classic Mobster Tragedy?
>creators said that the series was inspired The rise and fall of WWII
>>
>>15495568
Silly anon, this is a thread on Gundam: IBO. Share your thoughts on that shitty mecha anime in a designated thread.
>>
Real gundam fans admit there is no worse entry
>>
The animation is shit
the designs are mediocre-to-decent
the music is forgettable-to-shit
Why the hell would you waste your time on this when there are so many great shows to watch on your limited time here on Earth?
>>
>>15495712
>Real gundam fans admit there is no worse entry
THERE ARE NO REAL GUNDAM FANS!!!
>>
>>15495578
thats fucking gay, ww2 is so overused
>>
>>15495514
>enjoy jerking off to mindless mech action
You can't even really do that, since there are maybe, 3 good fights in the entire season.
>>
>>15495744
There are no Gundam fans? I know the franchise really shit the bed with these last few AUs, but no need to shit on the whole framchise. Way to be condescending, jackass
>>
>>15495578
>creators said that the series was inspired The rise and fall of WWII
>source: my ass
>>
I'd say so. Its stronger than the first. Doesnt suddenly become an amazing show but if you liked the good bits of S1 you will enjoy S2 well enough. The ending is the best part.
>>
>>15496908
Last year: Nagai said the show was inspired by yakuza in post-WWII Hiroshima.

This year: Nagai said he wanted the show to have a heroic death, similar to the Shinsengumi
>>
In my opinion, IBO's biggest detriment is that I can't relate or sympathize with the protagonists. Any other element becomes pointless to me if I don't care about the characters.
>>
>>15496990
>heroic death
Because "don't challenge the establishment" is such an inspiring message for kids, right?
>>
>>15495564
>...Did you not realize you were watching a classic Mobster Tragedy?

But this thread isn't about Hiroshima Death Match.
>>
>>15496992
This. I don't know what happened in the writing room but it feels like Okada completely failed to take charge of the characters and as a result everyone is stuck in the same one-dimensional state for most of the series.

She also seems to actively avoid (or is uncomfortable with) talking about IBO in the media.
>>
>>15497036
She did say she was uncomfortable with the writing in season 2.
>>
>>15496997

It's a realistic one. Maybe shows should give honest, unflinching truths instead of idealistic ones.
>>
>>15496997
You twisted the message. It's more on the line 'as a young person, lots of people will take advantage of your naivety, so use your brain and don't be deceived by anyone'.
>>
>>15497044
Why is that? Did she give a reason?
>>
>>15495361
Season 2's first half is pretty good. The second was a trainwreck as far as I'm concerned. Take that as you will.
>>
>>15497044
That doesn't surprise me.
Even for a high-lethality Gundam series IBO was shockingly cruel. The cast didn't just die, they died and became historically known as the villains. The villain didn't just not die, he won and was in a better place then when he started off, and he was already an incredibly powerful man to begin with.

It's basically a deconstruction of the very concept of a Gundam show.
Youth and naïveté isn't the future being cruellimg repressed by adults, but is simply something that exists and is regularly manipulated by older people and cruel quo can't be changed by big epic conflicts with lots of explosions but happen due to shady backroom politics soldiers are largely too removed to even see happening. Soldiers, even amazing ones, aren't legendary heroes or champions, just guns that function especially well. Heroes are just symbols to be used and exploited for political reasons, and they have ultimately have no control over the image they put out.

The show feels like an entire show that says "this is exactly why none of this would work", and it removes even what little chivalry and romanticism there was in the Universal Century shows in favor even further of illustrating just how pointlessly wasteful governments are it the lives of soldiers.
>>
>and it removes even what little chivalry and romanticism there was in the Universal Century shows

This was basically my primary problem with it.
Despite how harsh the UC shows could be, something running thematically through them is that giant WWII-style conflicts that end the primary problem through direct application of violence and heroic sacrifice.
This show feels very post-9/11; most people in the world are now aware that wars are not the exclamation point that resolves a problem in a flashy way, but simply something that happens sometimes in certain places as a result of boring politics as usual. Removing even this small amount of idealism ends up with the main characters who are soldiers being as fully relevant to their setting as the individual soldier is in real life; namely you could replace them with pretty much anyone and as long as they fought the right people when they had to and succeeded at basic objectives their individual personalities and goals are sort of meaningless when measured against how things actually get done.
>>
>>15497460
Fucking please this is not even the most bleak Gundam anime.

This would have actually mean something if Tekkadan ya know, actually gave a damn about their public image or if their role as villains wasn't setup by a corrupt establishment. Kinda takes the impact out of it when Tekkadan's villinary is yet another lie and not something that was brought on by themselves when they were the least evil organization in IBO next to the Turbines.

No he's not. With the Seven Stars gone he doesn't have the same type of authority anymore so he can't pull shit like using illegal WMDs. Keeping him alive feels less like a point because he's not giving any sort of development or characterization and more like a pointless detail.

Not really. Tekkadan got what they wanted and those remnants of it are all using that sacrifice to work and make the world a better place, that's more happy than say becoming a total retard in your last attempt to beat the battle as all your comrades die in a last scrimish all while "the true big bad" takes over, or finding out that side you were fighting for was pretty much responsible for the conflict to begin with and you pretty much can't do nothing about it because you're a kid, or getting betrayed by your love interest and literally taking the fall for an incident that kicks start an even worse conflict. All this shit was in UC years ago its just that Tomino and other writers/directors knew how to pull of these narratives in a way that's satisfying regardless of how cruel and unfair the message is, IBO fails because there's no reason to care about the plight of the characters and none of their actions have any sort of weight because the writers feel its more "depressing" to put a roadblock in their way for no apparent reason. So the message, well whatever they were trying to say, rings hollow because you've made no attempt to make be care about anything on screen and your intentions feels undeserved because you didn't try.
>>
>>15497460
>deconstruction
>>
>>15496990
>Nagai said the show was inspired by yakuza in post-WWII Hiroshima.
Wrong.
>>
>>15497460
>>15497470
Have you actually watched 0079 and Zeta? Or are these posts supposed to be next-level baits
>>
File: fat albert.gif (2MB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
fat albert.gif
2MB, 500x374px
>>15497460
>It's basically a deconstruction of the very concept of a Gundam show.
Stupid people like this are posting on this baord
>>
>>15495712
real Gundam fags should just admit their shit tunnel taste
>>
IBO wanted to make you think that Tekkedan were the villains and failed miserably. Tekkedan did some wrong things but compared to all the stuff we saw Gjallhorn do, Tekkedan were actually saints.
>>
>>15497406
>It's a realistic one
The history of the world is full of revolutions that did change stuff, how the hell is it realistic?
>>
I started enjoying S2 more after Chocoman's bullshit plan fails completely and the IBO kids get stuck with a delusional loser.
>>
>>15497541
>Hey hey hey, here's a Dainsleif
>>
>>15497585
>Rudy you're a an Iron Blooded Orphan
>>
>>15497684
>An Iron Blooded Orphan?
>>
>>15497550

But there are a lot more revolutions that changed nothing, collapsed upon themselves, or had the 'bad guys' come into power.

All things considered, the outcome could've been much worse for the kids. Sure, most of them died, but at least they weren't publically executed.
>>
File: SandrockCustomwithMaganacCorps.jpg (71KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
SandrockCustomwithMaganacCorps.jpg
71KB, 800x599px
anyone else feel mcgillis tried to make tekkadan into his own maganac corps?
>>
File: 2321321313.jpg (37KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
2321321313.jpg
37KB, 500x367px
>>15496997
lol, do you know what "heroic death" means? Do you think the message in Braveheart is "don't challenge the establishment"? Do you think the message in The Last Samurai was "don't challenge the establishment"?
>>
>>15497538
I have.
The main political conflict at the end of both Zeta and Original is resolved in a huge epic battle sequence where some characters die in battle and all the villains get their final comeuppance, except for Zeta which eventually gets resolved in a similar fashion at the end of ZZ.
In fact, many of these main villains enter personal combat with the hero and are killed by them in battle after an epic speechification of their ideals back and forth until there is a victor.

This is fairly obviously totally unrealistic.
In a real war Haman wouldn't go out in front and directly engage enemy soldiers; she'd be busy organizing her faction and being a politician rather then being a supervillain who seeks to fight the hero personally, and you KNOW it.
Just look at the history of modern warfare and see how many military leaders have bits in their history where they personally armed themselves and engaged in duels with their archrivals.
I'm going to spoiler it for you; none of them did that, because it's stupid and an inefficient way to run a war.

In Gundam this happens ALL THE TIME because when push comes to shove it IS meant to be a kids show and the villain has gotta die at some point in combat.
>>
>>15497908
you sound like you need to read a book
>>
It has the shittiest final battle though, muh spammin Dainsleif.
>>
>>15498048
>The main political conflict at the end of both Zeta and Original is resolved in a huge epic battle sequence where some characters die in battle and all the villains get their final comeuppance
You know Zeta Gundam ends with Axis winning both the AEUG and Titans decimated and the protagonist left as a brain fryed retard right? In 0079 the decisive victory isn't even won with Amuro and the White Base its through the federation fleet and Char crippling Zeons defense fleet by killing Kycilla. IBO actually has the most unrealistic outcome which is the opposing side wins by using a wmd by hiding all acts of usage from the public through manipulating the media but given your small pea size brain you think "if the opposition wind then it must be realistic".
>>
>>15498048
Except in none of those shows those killing the villain end the conflict. Amuro doesn't even fucking kill the "villain" since he's too busy trying to stay alive, Kamille killing Scorrico didn't stop Axis was taking over either.

You're gonna have to list the amount of commanders who got away with war crimes from the public in order to say IBOs ending is realistic
>>
>>15498124
It's realistic because he uses an orbital strike at no risk to himself instead of getting in a mobile suit. The WMD thing is hilariously silly to begin with as Dainslef WMD status was because they originally fired nukes as standard ammunition. The moment the truth comes out they'll just handwave it off saying that even the dastardly rebels only used solid steel shots making it barely matter.
>>
>>15498156
>It's realistic because he uses an orbital strike at no risk to himself instead of getting in a mobile suit.
This is how retarded IBOfags are folks
>>
>>15498156
The launching of a nuclear attack has always been sanctioned by a committee before approval so Rustal taking upon himself to use tgem behind the backs of the general public makes it realistic? Go ti know.
>>
>>15498170
Yeah you let me know when Trump gets in an Abrams.
>>
>>15498177
What nuclear attack? There was none. Steel telephone poles are not nukes.
>>
>>15495361
It tried to be like Zeta but failed, just like all the other Gundam shows that tried
>>
>>15497460
>The cast didn't just die, they died and became historically known as the villains. The villain didn't just not die, he won and was in a better place then when he started off, and he was already an incredibly powerful man to begin with.
That's just every series with zeekwank in it. Or are you telling me 0080 didn't do the exact same thing?
>>
>>15498208
0080 had no antagonist. It was entirely about the cast surviving. Nobody benefitted from the ending. Bernie died. Al was broken. Chris knew nothing and if I recall correctly got out with some painful injuries. The Zeon commander was detained and the rest of Cyclops team just plain fucking died. There was no grand keikaku, no cover up, nobody taking control of anything or reaping any benefits. How is this in any fucking way similar?
>>
>>15498090
Let me spell it out for you since maybe those movies came out before you were born: in The Last Samurai, all of the samurai die (Tom don't count) but because of their sacrifice they're able to change the Emperor's foreign policy. It's depicted as a heroic death.

In Braveheart, William Wallace dies brutal along with countless other Scots but their sacrifice indirectly leads to the independence of Scotland.

In IBO, the damage they deal to the Seven Stars basically allows Rustal to save the system and create Mars independence AND a better Gjallahorn. And a bunch of the surviving characters, including his child, get to live in that new and improved world.

So no the message is not "don't rebel", the message as always in these stories is "It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees." The characters die creating a better world for the next generation.
>>
>>15497470
Wasn't that the whole gimmick of 00's first season though? That was literally Post-9/11 Geopolitics: The Anime.
>>
File: 20654076_a9d5c0fd.gif (240KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
20654076_a9d5c0fd.gif
240KB, 400x300px
>>15498186
SEED is literally a retelling of Zeta with identical arc and pacing that succeeded.
>>
>>15495361
I mean, it's pretty much a 50 episode Gundam show, why would you stop halfway?
>>
File: 62505672_p1.png (491KB, 918x1302px) Image search: [Google]
62505672_p1.png
491KB, 918x1302px
>>
>>15495712
worse than all those shitty CG gundams?
>>
>>15498221
Who said anything about antagonists? Bernie is probably gonna go down in history as a war criminal who violated Side 6's autonomy and was promptly defeated by the ALEX.
>>
>>15498283
I'm not seeing it. Looks more like a 0079 retelling with Wing characteristics
>>
>>15498170

What's not realistic about that? Have you seen any politician personally engage in combat? I don't see Obama, Bush or Trump flying an F-16 on a bombing run.
>>
>>15499630
>Have you seen any politician personally engage in combat?
A lot of presidents and politic leaders were army generals. Also good job dimwit you just said GSD was realistic
>>
>>15499630
>>15498156
This argument is worthless since Rustal wasn't a politician but a military commander who last time I check are always seen on the battlefield. What a worthless chain of replies from a worthless fanbase
>>
>>15498488

So both chicks are waiting for midget man's son to grow up and then bang him - this time the both of them ? Poor sugoi-sama she didn't get midget's man dick so she's waiting for midget's man son's dick. Call it IBO 3 it would be a resounding success. Call back Okada and Nagai, I'm sure they've got some pretty good ideas too.
>>
>>15497460
>>15498048
This makes me want to rewatch Dougram. Because Dougram is literally this but the execution is ten times better.
>>
>>15499699
>Because Dougram is literally this
Dougram is soft as fuck compared to this but that works greatly in its favor
>>
>It's good because it's realistic!

It's bad because it's trying to be realistic and failing.
Nagai should seriously be schooled on dramatic structure and storytelling. Okada is a hack too.
>>
>>15499816

>trying to be realistic and failing

That's what every single Gundam show except G and maybe stuff like Wing pretends to be, though, because they just decide to derail it with a new brand of space magic.
>>
>>15499826
>and maybe stuff like Wing
Are you fucking stupid now?
>>
>>15499846

True enough, 'maybe' should be removed.

The 'realistic' treatment applies primarily to mainline UC installments, but they still play very, very fast and loose with 'realism'.
>>
>>15499826
I never got the impression past Gundam series were trying to be realistic at all. They focused on what made Gundam popular in the first place, beam spam, space magic and soap opera like story with some angst. A LOT of angst if we're taking about Seed and Unicorn.

With IBO and Thunderbolt, things shifted to gritty and """"realistic"""" but they still can't pull it off because the writing isn't that good. At least Thunderbolt had animation that is nice to look at even if it was at the service of stale, try-hard story.
>>
>>15499873

Gundam's whole draw was about it differentiating itself through contemporary robot shows by adopting a sense of military 'realism', which many Gundam series try to be, even early UC stuff, but then it's just thrown away.
>>
>>15499873
Thunderbolt is literally a checkbook of Gundam conventions and tropes and isn't any grittier or edgy than say a standard Gundam OVA and as the manga goes on gets a lot lighter and more retarded. IBO definitely feels like it was trying to do something different but fell flat on its face in the process much like 00 though the latter merely got sucked up in Gundam tropes again while the former just went off into something completely different and wind up not doing anything right in the process.
>>
File: G-armor.jpg (162KB, 542x263px) Image search: [Google]
G-armor.jpg
162KB, 542x263px
>>15499880
>military 'realism
From the very first installment
>>
>>15499880
>Gundam's whole draw was about it differentiating itself through contemporary robot shows by adopting a sense of military 'realism', which many Gundam series try to be, even early UC stuff, but then it's just thrown away.

When you mean "contemporary robot shows" lets be clear, it's in the context of the fucking 1970s. It's almost half a century later now, and most people on /m/ weren't even born in the 1970s. Gundam stopped being (was it ever ?) about realistic robots from the fucking start. 0079 is a classic 1970s robot show sprinkled with a little bit of "politics". That is it. Real robot is a term that was invented ex post facto to "justify" this new kind of mecha narrative. But the division is freaking artificial and useless. For every super robot show I you can think of, I can cite a real robot show that has the exactly same characteristics.
The only ones clinging to the super robot/real robot distinction are some videogamers. But the real anime mecha fan knows the truth. There is no fucking difference.
>>
>>15499880
Because it's a soap opera first, the character drama is more important than "military realism".

0079 introduced the formula which all series after follow (except for G), what it did was just inject a soap opera story in a war setting where the weapons are actual toys. I guess that is a bit more realistic than other mecha anime of the time but I always saw it as Tomino wanting to try another genre while still shilling plastic because he's obligated to.
>>
>>15499897
The Romance Robot Trilogy did that first
>>
>>15499897
>Because it's a soap opera first, the character drama is more important than "military realism".

Zambot 3 is a character drama through and through. Gundam came after Zambot 3, so you could say Gundam didn't invent anything that wasn't already there and widely used. Yamato is a fucking character drama. Casshern is a fucking character drama etc....
>>
>>15499909
MSG didn't invent anything new, it was just an arrangement of tropes and characteristics that were used before.

To this day, other Gundam series just tweak that collection of tropes known as Gundam in order to create new variations (clones) of the same thing.
>>
>>15498133
>You're gonna have to list the amount of commanders who got away with war crimes from the public in order to say IBOs ending is realistic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre
Here's a start.
>>
>>15499951
>got away with it
>recorded in history

You're not very smart are you?
>>
>>15500019
>blamed the whole event on someone else for 50 years
>no one involved received any punishment whatsoever
>the commanding officer ended up in charge of the soviet union
Yeah I'd say they got away with it. At least until Beria's faggotry got him killed by Krushchev.
>>
File: G-Bomber_Profile_Picture.png (255KB, 960x757px) Image search: [Google]
G-Bomber_Profile_Picture.png
255KB, 960x757px
>>15499890
>>military 'realism
>From the very first installment
You scoff, but the G-armor was a pretty good CONCEPT; A flying armored transport for a single Mobile Suit, using the same modular technology standard in order to maintain compatibility.

Sure, it LOOKS stupid, but this is late 70's Toy Robot design were talking here.

>>15499893
>But the real anime mecha fan knows the truth. There is no fucking difference.
Well there is a SLIGHT difference, but it's in the setting and not the machines themselves; "Real" Robots are machines that are mass produced and function as an element of a combined arms doctrine.
>>15499925
>MSG didn't invent anything new, it was just an arrangement of tropes and characteristics that were used before.
It was basically the Reese Cup of Mecha; Both components of Gundam had existed long before it, but it's the most famous combination of War Drama with Giant Robots.
>>
>>15499893
>There is no fucking difference
Now you're stretching it
>>
>>15500025
>no one involved received any punishment whatsoever
Because they were fucking dead
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.