[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /m/, I just got into Gundam semi-recently (watched 79, Zeta,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Gundam.jpg (28KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam.jpg
28KB, 300x225px
Sup /m/, I just got into Gundam semi-recently (watched 79, Zeta, ZZ, and Victory) and was feeling a little ambivalent about it. There's a lot I really enjoy; the action, the storyline, the characters, the political/psychological themes, the mech designs, etc. But I feel like I haven't been able to fall completely in love with it despite watching almost 200 episodes of it.

I think it comes down to pacing. Of all the shows I watched, I felt 79 had the best pacing overall. Zeta and Victory especially have a lot of going back-and-forth between Earth and space, without a real sense of progression in the storyline. When I start watching these shows, I really enjoy them, but they can feel repetitive after a while.

Are there any Gundam series that don't really have this problem? Stuff with a little less padding and a more tightly woven plot? Or maybe that's just how Gundam is and I should accept it.

Also, Kamille for best Gundam protag.
>>
>>15494091
g gundam
>>
>>15494091
That's a lot of how Gundam is, a lot of piddling about in the middle before the show remembers it has to end and rushes the final arc. Some shows with tighter pacing are 00, AGE, After War X, and pretty much every single OVA. These have their own issues as well, so don't expect them to be strictly better, but the sense of progression is better kept. Keep in mind that no Gundam show is really a perfect, and most aren't even great, but they're all around that level of good that's just the right amount of enjoyable mixed with whichever mecha are your favorite that keep you coming back for more.
>>
File: latest[3].gif (1MB, 285x242px) Image search: [Google]
latest[3].gif
1MB, 285x242px
>>15494212
>Some shows with tighter pacing are 00, AGE, After War X
>>
Unironically SEED
>>
>>15494091
>Or maybe that's just how Gundam is and I should accept it.

This. Other than the OVAs which are smaller in scope, but far better paced with less filler, the major releases are going to have episodes where the plot just drags and the action scene is hastily animated and/or just reuse stock footage. You have to keep in mind the production challenge of having to write an episode and have an obligatory action sequence for a serialized show versus an episodic one. You're inevitably are going to have several throwaway scenes and subplots that go nowhere.

>>15494225
Out. Now.
>>
>>15494258
>You have to keep in mind the production challenge of having to write an episode and have an obligatory action sequence for a serialized show versus an episodic one. You're inevitably are going to have several throwaway scenes and subplots that go nowhere.

OP here. I think it's interesting to compare as a Digimon fan, where I feel like Digimon shows start out episodic, then slowly become more and more serialized with a tight, cohesive plot. Gundam in my experience is almost the opposite, where the first 10ish episodes really are go-go-go on plot and development, then it kinda slows down until the last 10 episodes again.

It's not bad by any means, I've certainly enjoyed watching these shows, but I do wish there were more three cour shows like 79 Gundam, which feels like it had a pretty consistent storyline of space -> Earth -> return to space for final battle.
>>
File: tumblr_omguuicrOZ1t8b2juo1_400.jpg (67KB, 400x577px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omguuicrOZ1t8b2juo1_400.jpg
67KB, 400x577px
>>15494308
Oh you like digimon
>>
>>15494091
>Or maybe that's just how Gundam is and I should accept it.
Yeah, pretty much. The only series I watched that avoids this is G-Reco, which is pretty fast-paced. Though alot of people don't like it because its too fast for them.
>Also, Kamille for best Gundam protag.
This is a truth that people live for
>>
Watch war in the burger and Turn A, report back after that.
>>
Do NOT watch SEED, skip straight to GSD.

Watch TV Remaster Eps. 1-15 thereabouts. Then Watch GSD Special Edition compilations #2-4.

You will thank me later.
>>
>>15494091
>Also, Kamille for best Gundam protag
It's okay to be wrong sometimes.
>>
>>15494352
why should I watch them in that order?
>>
>>15494225

I feel bad for Seed fans, besides the animation reusage which does suck the show was pretty damn good by Gundam standards. I think it's just Destiny coloring people's opinions.
>>
>>15494983
You get the whole SEED package, but it's condensed.
If you dislike it, but are curious enough to try SEED, it will most likely be better.
>>
>>15494091
Something seems off here
>>
Gundam Unicorn is nice and compact, pretty fast paced. Ditto Gundam Seed Stargazer, which I don't think you need outside info on to watch, but it is only 45 minutes. Thunderbolt is fast in pacing but has a sociopathic protagonist, so your mileage may vary. CCA is also fastly paced by virtue of being a movie.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.